PANASONIC PT-RZ470 FULL HD LED LASER - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 286 Old 08-07-2013, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Yes if you get anything like a Lumagen, you will also need a meter and software. Chromapure or Calman are great solutions, bundled with a meter. I would suggest a Spectroradiometer though, not a colorimeter, especially with a LED light source.

Another option in this price range is just to get the Sony HW50. Its a bulb, but they are cheap. And its much brighter than this unit. Good color out of the box, and a decent CMS, thus making the Lumagen not a necessity (still nice, though).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 286 Old 08-07-2013, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberator View Post

I don't really have any plans to connect the projector to anything else then a PC running 24/7 so if I can get away with just running software that would be great.
I was hoping to just be able to pop a Blu ray into it though and for the first time ever be able to actually play one without DRM issues. I have all sorts of hardware that is supposedly compatible but still has DRM issues with Blueray. Its a nightmare.
FWIW, "just running software" won't do, you at least need a meter, if you want to get any kind of real calibration. The next problem is that just popping in a Blu-Ray might not work that easily because the usual commercial HTPC Blu-Ray player software doesn't contain real calibration features. You'd have to use a different media player, and those media players which support calibration features currently don't have full Blu-Ray menu support. Those media players *are* usually able to directly find and play the movie, though (if the Blu-Ray is not encrypted). So if you don't need the menus and are happy with just playing the Blu-Ray movies, that should still work in most cases. Personally, I've ripped all my Blu-Rays to a media server and run them from there. No problems whatsoever. But of course ripping takes time and costs space. So not everybody will be happy with that...
post #273 of 286 Old 08-08-2013, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Well in theory I can still back out of the projector purchase due to their shipping issue, they offered me a refund. The thing is,.. there are no alternatives as far as I know. In this price range with 3D and 1080P and no old fashioned lamp.
I am the forum member mentioned in hidiaudio2s earlier post. If I could get my money back I would. I brought over my lumagen mini so we could do a full calibration and we didn't even see the need to waste our time.

post #274 of 286 Old 08-08-2013, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

-snip- (if the Blu-Ray is not encrypted). So if you don't need the menus and are happy with just playing the Blu-Ray movies, that should still work in most cases. Personally, I've ripped all my Blu-Rays to a media server and run them from there. No problems whatsoever. But of course ripping takes time and costs space. So not everybody will be happy with that...

That what I do as well. Its a pretty obnoxious solution imho since now I have to go through this whole song and dance which takes up storage space thus costing me more money when I PAID for the content. If you illegally download it you don't have any of these issues. This is what is killing the legal sales and they just don't seem to get that. Legal/Paid use should be easier and more convenient then illegal but right now its the opposite.
post #275 of 286 Old 08-08-2013, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason4vu View Post

I am the forum member mentioned in hidiaudio2s earlier post. If I could get my money back I would. I brought over my lumagen mini so we could do a full calibration and we didn't even see the need to waste our time.

It looks like the decision is made for me:
"BigValueCo Inc (support@bigvalueinc.com) has issued a full refund for your payment."

Looks like they can't deliver and just returned the money without so much as a word from them. They have pretty bad customer service and I would not advice buying from them unless you absolutely cannot spend the extra money anywhere else.

Maybe the vpl-fhz55 is an alternative?
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/video/channels-projectors/

It doesn't look the part though. Perhaps the NF32U? It was supposed to be out already but I don't see any release updates.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Mitsubishi-LaserVue_NF32U.htm

I do NOT want to deal with lamps. I want to just leave this thing on for a very long time without having to worry about the lamp. Lamps give off way too much heat. I pay a fortune every month to cool my house and the temp here is 85F inside to keep the bills under four figures. so I don't want to add another furnace in the home. The A/C bills factor into the cost for me.
post #276 of 286 Old 08-08-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I think at the $4k and under price point, really good LED projectors may not exist yet. Perhaps the new Optoma that we should have soon. There is a separate thread on it. Otherwise I still suggest the Sony hw50es or equivalent JVC.
post #277 of 286 Old 08-08-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I just saw this side by side with Sony Laser 4000 lumens. This projector to my eyes looked horrible. The only downside to the sony is not 3d
post #278 of 286 Old 08-09-2013, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryW View Post

Why do you think that?

According to the manual, it implements standard HDMI 3D frame-packing.

Projector Central reviewed the 430, but their "spec" page for the 470 says it is "PC 3D Ready":
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Panasonic-PT-RZ470UW.htm

Glen
My Home Theater
Whatever is not nailed down, is mine.
Whatever I can pry loose... is not nailed down!

post #279 of 286 Old 08-09-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

It works with Blu Ray 3d. But you don't want it anyway.
post #280 of 286 Old 08-09-2013, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just ordered a 120" screen with Mike. After re-measuring the room I decided more is not always better since if I have to sit further from the screen it will eat up more seating area in the room. Measured at the front row 133" for 16:9 seemed a bit too much as I'd be too close.

I was thinking burgundy red or brown for the walls. Looking at pictures I do like the wall panels some people have so I wonder if I should make something like that myself using fabric. I did read of some people using acoustic panels on the walls but I have no idea whether that would be worth it. I'll get it setup first and then just see what works best.

Years ago (2005) when I was building my theater for a Panny 700 (720p), all the "recommendations" said no more than like 112" screen. Instead, I put my chairs where they would be (installed wires while house was being built, position locked in by side speakers - see photos in my signature link), and white cloth on the wall.

Then, my wife and I watched movies (night, when dark), and played around with the size. We never measured it until we dialed in what we wanted - and it was 133!

Our eyeballs in the front (main) row are 11 feet back (131"). Looking forwards to a new projector and 1080p.

Word of caution on red - sounds like you're aiming for about the same color I have (some "wine")... I did not use tinted primer, and therefore had to do like 3-4 coats of paint to get rid of the white leaking thru!

Glen
My Home Theater

post #281 of 286 Old 08-09-2013, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well in theory I can still back out of the projector purchase due to their shipping issue, they offered me a refund. The thing is,.. there are no alternatives as far as I know. In this price range with 3D and 1080P and no old fashioned lamp.

Check out the Optoma HD91 thread on here... might be worth waiting 1 month to hear about (it was announced in January, and some reviews exist, sounds extremely promising).

Glen
My Home Theater

post #282 of 286 Old 08-16-2013, 07:27 AM

post #283 of 286 Old 09-07-2013, 05:37 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

If it weren't for the image noise issue, and I had a smaller screen and wasn't bothered by rainbows, this would still be in the running. Sounds like you would be OK with your screen size.

Maybe I got a bad sample on the image noise and another one wouldn't do it. I guess I should have also swapped HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 on the Oppo just to make sure that wasn't causing it. It shouldn't, but one of those outputs does have their scaler chip in the mix while the other doesn't. Its an extremely popular Blu Ray player, though, so I think if that were an issue we would know.

Regarding the color... my opinion is that anyone would see the errors and want it corrected. Greens and yellows were very noticeably off to me. I would strongly suggest a Lumagen. You can get a Lumagen mini, especially used, for around $1k I think.

I was really excited about this projector too! I am hoping that it turns out that you just got unlucky with a faulty one but it is the brightness issue that bothers me more than the noise. There are plenty of good projectors in this price range these days. This one promised to be another one except brighter and with less maintenance. I normally use professional projectors because they are brighter and I think they look better if you watch with the lights on. I love good blacks as much as the next man but I hate the idea of having to watch everything in complete darkness. It makes me fall asleep and its kinda depressing for every day viewing. I can't get impressed with these home theater projectors which offer nice contrast but only in a dungeon. It was ok 5 years ago but now we have high contrast devices, we don't need more "me too" devices dressed as a break through.

Is it just me, or does the performance of projectors these days have little correlation to the numbers advertised in their specifications?? It's a world where a 10,000:1 contrast ratio projector can have better contrast than a 500,000:1 and where 3000 lumens ends up being no brighter than 700 lumens. I'm don't with the numbers. You can't trust these companies any more. I don't know how they measure their specs but whatever the measurement is, it isn't telling customers the whole truth. It is getting harder to find a place to demo these units too. In most cases you have to buy online with nothing but these faulty numbers to distinguish between projectors. False advertising is a horrible long term marketing strategy. Customers will not let themselves get fooled twice and once trust is lost....

Thanks for the review. We obviously need them more than ever. If this projector is too dim for home theater, it is of no use for anything. Digital signage needs far more brightness than ht. professional grade devices for public places are between 7,000 and 40,000 lumens. This device seems to land in no mans land. Too expensive to be cheap. Not good enough to be expensive. I guess I'll keep waiting for that elusive quality projector that is maintenance free and works with the lights on....
post #284 of 286 Old 09-07-2013, 06:43 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Panasonic is working on a HT version so I hear!
post #285 of 286 Old 09-07-2013, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Panasonic is working on a HT version so I hear!

What is your source of information?
post #286 of 286 Old 09-08-2013, 08:16 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post

What is your source of information?

My crystal ball smile.gif