Need Advice on a good Acoustically Transparent Home Theater screen for my Sony VPL-HW30aes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-16-2012, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone, I am currently building a dedicated home theater room (17'x25') in my basement with no windows and wanting to put my Definitive St Speakers behind an AT screen. I have already but the false wall and purchased a sony hw30 and need advice on a good screen for my projector. No ht dealer has any at screens to look at so i'm stuck with just going by reviews and advice. A dealer has recommended Snap AV's Dragon Fly AT screen but want to hear if any of you have any other suggestions. I also ordered a sample of the XD and 4k material that SeymourAV has as well. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-17-2012, 02:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
You did not mention how big of a screen you were looking for , AR 1.78 or 2.35? , or your budget. So below is not really advice but rather I'll share my experiences fwiw.

My budget was less than $2K. I took a leap of faith and bought a 125" wide 2.37 Seymour XD unseen based on all the positive user feedback here on AVS. For me the price to performance on the XD is very high. I'm pairing it with a BenQ W7K and I am enjoying the combo very much. I considered SE 4K material but was concerned about the lower gain and the price was more than what I wanted to spend at the time.

SMX screen is also a weave material.. gets rave reviews.. was out of my budget.

Stewart micro-perf .. I forgot the exact material but it's not a weave. It has a higher gain than the weaves (I think 1.3). Was also out of my budget and I also didn't like that the screen would require a fair amount of distance from my speakers.

Zombie has measured lumens for the HW30 and other models as reference + [ Projector output (Lumens) = brightness (ftL) * area / gain ] to help you determine max screen size.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-17-2012, 05:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit128 View Post

Hi Everyone, I am currently building a dedicated home theater room (17'x25') in my basement with no windows and wanting to put my Definitive St Speakers behind an AT screen. I have already but the false wall and purchased a sony hw30 and need advice on a good screen for my projector. No ht dealer has any at screens to look at so i'm stuck with just going by reviews and advice. A dealer has recommended Snap AV's Dragon Fly AT screen but want to hear if any of you have any other suggestions. I also ordered a sample of the XD and 4k material that SeymourAV has as well. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quack724 View Post

You did not mention how big of a screen you were looking for , AR 1.78 or 2.35? , or your budget. So below is not really advice but rather I'll share my experiences fwiw.
My budget was less than $2K. I took a leap of faith and bought a 125" wide 2.37 Seymour XD unseen based on all the positive user feedback here on AVS. For me the price to performance on the XD is very high. I'm pairing it with a BenQ W7K and I am enjoying the combo very much. I considered SE 4K material but was concerned about the lower gain and the price was more than what I wanted to spend at the time.
SMX screen is also a weave material.. gets rave reviews.. was out of my budget.
Stewart micro-perf .. I forgot the exact material but it's not a weave. It has a higher gain than the weaves (I think 1.3). Was also out of my budget and I also didn't like that the screen would require a fair amount of distance from my speakers.
Zombie has measured lumens for the HW30 and other models as reference + [ Projector output (Lumens) = brightness (ftL) * area / gain ] to help you determine max screen size.

For the OPer, need to know the viewing distance and screen size. If less than 11' then I would consider a screen like the EN4k. If the screen is going to be large, then you might have to consider microperf for the gain. It all deepens on what you are trying to do and what you want to watch. If 2D only, then you can go larger.

Quack724, most of the Stewart screen materials can be microperfed. So you can get gains of 1.0 to 2.0 in a microperf.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-17-2012, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Hi thank u for the replies. Sorry I forgot to mention that the screen size is 120" in16:9. The first row of seats are at 11ft and the second row will be at 17ft from the screen. Thanks for the help!
post #5 of 6 Old 06-17-2012, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Also, mainly 2d but will watch a 3d occasionally.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-17-2012, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Also mainly 2d with 3d occasionally.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw30es 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector , Stewart
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page