Where is the power supply varistor on a sony qualia 004? - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP > Where is the power supply varistor on a sony qualia 004?

Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Markpaul's Avatar Markpaul
11:18 PM Liked: 10
post #1 of 11
06-17-2012 | Posts: 6
I recently picked up a 3 qualia 004 units from a company that was upgrading. They were all stated to be working. I powered them up on receipt and see no lights or other sign of power on two units but the third works fine with 700 hrs on the lamp. The asset manager I was working with stated that he personally saw the units powered on. Hes been a reliable source in the past so im thinking the two bad units might have been powered down incorrectly. Im assuming its a blown varistor on the power boards on the two that are non working. Anyone ever replace the protection components on these units before?
Ron Jones's Avatar Ron Jones
08:22 AM Liked: 212
post #2 of 11
06-18-2012 | Posts: 5,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markpaul View Post

I recently picked up a 3 qualia 004 units from a company that was upgrading. They were all stated to be working. I powered them up on receipt and see no lights or other sign of power on two units but the third works fine with 700 hrs on the lamp. The asset manager I was working with stated that he personally saw the units powered on. Hes been a reliable source in the past so im thinking the two bad units might have been powered down incorrectly. Im assuming its a blown varistor on the power boards on the two that are non working. Anyone ever replace the protection components on these units before?

I suggest you purchase the service manual for the Quaalia 004. The Sony parts dept. should have the hard copy of the service manual for sale and you might be above to find an electronic version online for download.
01:10 PM Liked: 10
post #3 of 11
06-19-2012 | Posts: 6
So I came back to my shop on tues after being gone since sat when I first tried to power these on and tried to power these two units up again and they both seem to work perfectly. One had 1120 hrs on the lamp and one has 1340. I used a different quality waber strip this time, different from the one I used the first time and possibly better quality, thinking maybe I had some point bounce that the power supply didnt like. I ran them both for about 1-2 hrs then did the shutdown, letting the status lights go to red before shutting down the waber strip. Now an hour later, they both refuse to start again. Any thoughts about this. I see some posts here that seem to indicate a recurring problem of this type. Any ideas?
03:52 PM Liked: 10
post #4 of 11
06-19-2012 | Posts: 6
After thinking it over, seems like the only type of component that could cause this type of intermittent problem to occur is a failing capacitor. Anyone willing to offer clues as to what one? Im probably going to replace all the big ones on the board and see what happens.
02:40 PM Liked: 10
post #5 of 11
06-20-2012 | Posts: 6
Came in to the shop today and both projectors now start up normally. Thats about a 22 hr wait. I tried several times up till 7 pm yesterday. Weird, is there some sort of timer setting thats part of the service settings on these? That sure does not sound like a failing component. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Sherardp's Avatar Sherardp
03:17 PM Liked: 10
post #6 of 11
06-20-2012 | Posts: 1,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markpaul View Post

Came in to the shop today and both projectors now start up normally. Thats about a 22 hr wait. I tried several times up till 7 pm yesterday. Weird, is there some sort of timer setting thats part of the service settings on these? That sure does not sound like a failing component. Any suggestions would be helpful.

See post 2
04:47 PM Liked: 10
post #7 of 11
06-20-2012 | Posts: 6
I tried that earlier today and was told by a person I reached at the 1877 782 5423 number that Sony will not give out service manuals and that they do not service these units any longer. It was some random person in 4, the TV section. Is there a better phone number for qualia support where you can talk to an actual technical instead of a sony drone?
Ron Jones's Avatar Ron Jones
06:56 PM Liked: 212
post #8 of 11
06-20-2012 | Posts: 5,964
Sony service manuals used to be sold (probably still are) through the Sony Parts Dept. and not their service dept. I paid nearly $100 a decade ago for a VPL-G70 manual (hard copy). The Parts Dept. (at least for consumer products) is located in Ft. Myers, FL (about 5 miles from my house there) and here is their web link: https://servicesales.sel.sony.com/ecom/accessories/web/contact_us.jsp However the Q 004 parts may only be distributed thru a Sony Professional products office.

Also Curt Palme posted HERE back in 2008 that he had got a copy of the 004 service manual and was able to do repairs on this model. You might want to contact him.
05:24 PM Liked: 10
post #9 of 11
07-23-2012 | Posts: 6
After some testing, Ive found that the two projectors I have that wont start until a delay, will start after a wait of exactly 14 hours after a power up/power down. If left in standby, they will start at any time. As these came out a corporate setting, I think its possible that they are set via some sort of service menu to delay powering up after a brownout/power failure for 14 hours. It seems too much of a coincidence that they require the exact amount of time to reset. Can anyone verify is this is a possibility and if so, how to I reset them to default? Thx
mikeaymar's Avatar mikeaymar
01:40 PM Liked: 10
post #10 of 11
09-04-2012 | Posts: 112
I have this same problem with my Qualia. If there is a power failure or glitch that causes the projector to turn off, I need
to unplug it and wait ~24 hours and plug it back it. It will then power up until it happens again. Kind of a pain in the
ass.
Something in the power supply for sure.
That I why I bought a spare unit a while back, but so far the hassle of unplugging and waiting every few months is
less of a challenge than swapping units.
I may look into a UPS for the Qualia, so I'd recommend considering that route.
Overall, the Qualia has served me well since 2004, and I don't think there is anything much better out there yet, at
least for my rear projection setup.
maxthx's Avatar maxthx
02:42 AM Liked: 10
post #11 of 11
01-10-2013 | Posts: 1
Hi the problem is solved changed one or two MCZ3001D in the board GB. That is a comun problem, some Sony TV have the same problem. I am repared my Sony Qualia changed this circuit integrated. I have the service manual.
Thank you
Max
From Argentina
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Subscribe to this Thread