Advice on whether to upgrade or not a vp12s4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 06-22-2012, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I purchased a slightly used Marantz vp12S4 from second act in 2008 for a steal ( boy do i miss them).I have a 106" dalite screen with a gain of 1.3 in a completely dark room in the basement that measures 16x20. The projector has served me well without any problems and still produces a great picture.
It is very difficult to demo projectors anymore because alot of the brick and mortar stores around me have closed. For those of you who have this projector, had it, or have seen it in action, is it worth it to pursue an upgrade at this point ?
I am not unhappy with the projector at all but am always looking to tweak my setup if it would be a major step up .
My budget would ideally be up to 5k and i am not interested in 3d. Viewing is now evenly split between tv watching and blu ray.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-22-2012, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 54
There are definitely improvements with the new projectors and there are more coming. I'd probably wait the S4 is a nice machine.
post #3 of 18 Old 06-22-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 170
As someone that came from a Sharp 12k mkII (very similar to the 12s4) I can tell you that you'll probably have a hard time finding a significant step-up projector regarding over-all image quality at a reasonable cost.

At your price point I would suggest a JVC (HD350 or better) or used higher end 1080p DLP.

Best of luck,
Jason
post #4 of 18 Old 06-22-2012, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick answers. That is why i love this forum- prompt and honest answers from people passionate about their hobby
post #5 of 18 Old 06-22-2012, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I had the VP-12S4 and now have a JVC RS40. It is a pretty substantial upgrade. To me, the biggest difference I appreciate is the excellent black level and native contrast of the JVC. Also the lens was so good on the Marantz that it was very easy to see pixels. No pixels seen on the JVC but image is still sharp.

Mike
post #6 of 18 Old 06-23-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1781 Post(s)
Liked: 942
I currently own the Marantz VP12S4, shooting onto a 106" HP screen. I also have a JVC RS45 shooting onto an AT screen (EN4K). For movie watching, I always use the RS45. The Marantz is now mainly used for HDTV. So you can see which way I lean. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
post #7 of 18 Old 06-23-2012, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

So you use the marantz for HDTV to conserve hours on the jvc bulb or is there something about the marantz you prefer over the jvc for HDTV?
post #8 of 18 Old 06-23-2012, 06:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1781 Post(s)
Liked: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprod View Post

So you use the marantz for HDTV to conserve hours on the jvc bulb or is there something about the marantz you prefer over the jvc for HDTV?

Not at all. To me the RS45 is the better movie projector, so I use it for nearly 100% of the movies that I watch. The Marantz is in my family room setup and that is the room where I do most of my TV watching, so that is why I use the 12S4 for TV. I have not had any lamp issues, but I only have around 260 hours on my lamp. With the RS45, I use low lamp with the iris closed down about 3/4's of the way. I am shooting onto a 107" wide 2.40 0.85 gain screen. I also use an A-lens. My room has dark surfaces.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
post #9 of 18 Old 06-24-2012, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Side question-- has anybody used the color temperature calibrator that the vp12s4 comes with and is it advisable to use?
Right now I'm leaning towards getting a new bulb, keeping it for a few more years then selling it if it is still working.
post #10 of 18 Old 06-24-2012, 01:50 PM

We calibrate our own displays with expensive equipment. But one day I said let me try this device to see how good it does. It changes stuff in the service area of the projector and we couldn't fix it. The whole picture had a red tint. We had to send in the unit to Marantz to get if reset. I wouldn't use it.
post #11 of 18 Old 06-25-2012, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

So the red tint could not be corrected with adjusting color/saturation?eek.gif

Also, if i keep the projector would i be better of with a different screen. I currently have a da lite high contrast cinema vision (106")
post #12 of 18 Old 06-25-2012, 07:57 PM

Liked: 10
My experience using the auto calibration cap is similar to that of BobL... all of the colors became overly saturated with red being the worst. I wasn't able to correct issue manually.

I had the projector for a number of months before I made the mistake of experimenting with the supplied calibration. I enjoyed the image it threw but longed for more lumens. I purchased an Infocus IN82 and haven't looked back...smile.gif
post #13 of 18 Old 06-26-2012, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

I Just read through the manual again and noticed that there were a number of essential steps to do the calibration (i.e. Turning len shift nob so light passes from middle of projector, placement of cable,etc) Did the two of you above follow the manual exactly and still had those issues and did you both try to redo the calibration to no avail?
The idea intrigues me and just want to make sure before i put the calibrator back in its box.
Thanks for the info
post #14 of 18 Old 06-26-2012, 06:18 PM

Yes I followed the instructions but you can't fix the errors. When I called Marantz they said don't use that thing again. I tried with our equipments to re-calibrate it and it just couldn't be fixed. I also tried the probe several times hoping for a better result with no luck. I was actually hoping Marantz would have gave us the procedure to do it in the service menu since we have $30G of equipment to use, but they wouldn't and we had to send it in.
post #15 of 18 Old 06-26-2012, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Message received. Thanks. It's amazing to me that they would include this tool that would make the display irreparably worse
post #16 of 18 Old 06-27-2012, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprod View Post

I purchased a slightly used Marantz vp12S4 from second act in 2008 for a steal ( boy do i miss them).I have a 106" dalite screen with a gain of 1.3 in a completely dark room in the basement that measures 16x20. The projector has served me well without any problems and still produces a great picture.
It is very difficult to demo projectors anymore because alot of the brick and mortar stores around me have closed. For those of you who have this projector, had it, or have seen it in action, is it worth it to pursue an upgrade at this point ?
I am not unhappy with the projector at all but am always looking to tweak my setup if it would be a major step up .
My budget would ideally be up to 5k and i am not interested in 3d. Viewing is now evenly split between tv watching and blu ray.
Thanks

I think the biggest improvement you'll see with a new dlp is the improved brightness and pop. The 12s4 is a great projector, but it wasn't very bright. The Benq W7000 will produce a similar very sharp image, but with alot more pop in colors and brightness.

The JVCs that are being mentioned will produce better blacks than the 12s4. If you like the idea of higher contrast due to better blacks, then you should go take a look at them. They have good lenses as well.
post #17 of 18 Old 06-27-2012, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

I have decided at this point to get a new bulb ( before they are scarce or non existent ) and use a darby vision in my setup. By then 4k mania will hit and 1080p should be obtainable for fraction of the cost( especially in the refurb market).
post #18 of 18 Old 01-13-2013, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 174
I was considering buying one of these used but now am a bit concerned after reading the last page of this thread. Beside the mentioned non functional autocal feature, can this projector be manually calibrated with the gains/cuts and CMS? Then there is the issue of new OEM lamps..

What would be a fair price for one of these now in 2013? I see a bunch on Videogon for $2000 but then I see them sold there and other places for $400-$500..

Doug
Planar PD8150 paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 110"
http://www.airscapesart.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page