Basic questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-22-2012, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know nothing about projectors, though I was at someone's house and they had a 3D projector and about a 65-inch screen.

1. Can someone give me an idea of how much a good quality 3D projector will range?
2. What are the drawbacks to using a projector and screen VS. a plasma/lcd display?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2012, 08:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Some of the more popular 3D projectors are in the $2k range (BenQ W7000, etc), all the way up to Sim2s that are way more than that. Though if you check the <$3k forum, you'll probably find people there happy with even less expensive machines too.

As far as projector vs "regular" display, IMO there's really only one thing to consider, ambient/room lighting. The quality of a projected image is directly related to how dark you can get you room. Projected images are at their best when there is no light from other sources hitting the screen. Any light that hits the screen that doesn't come from the projector raises the black level and washes out the image.

Now that's not to say you can't get an acceptable/usable image with some light, but for critical viewing with a projector you really want all lights off, and you pretty much can't use a projector during the day if there are windows in the room.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
Old 06-23-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 560
I will tell you this. I have been on this forum for many years and the number of people that have switched from projector back to TV are so few, that I can count them on one hand. Nearly all that I have read about that have switched back to a TV did it because them moved into a different house and did not have a room that they could set up for a projector. Most say, they can't believe what they were missing, once they go to a projector.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 06-23-2012, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

I will tell you this. I have been on this forum for many years and the number of people that have switched from projector back to TV are so few, that I can count them on one hand. Nearly all that I have read about that have switched back to a TV did it because them moved into a different house and did not have a room that they could set up for a projector. Most say, they can't believe what they were missing, once they go to a projector.

That is the truth. We bought a Samsung LCD 52" tv 3 years ago for our living room which at the time was the top of the line LCD. A year later I built a 21x19' theater room with no windows, painted the screen wall and ceiling flat black, added my projector, sound, etc and never looked back. I hardly use the LCD now since looking at HD on a 106" screen is pretty much unmatched.

If you can do it right you will be beyond pleased with the outcome.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks everyone for the responses.

What is the average lifespan of a projector bulb? How much on average do these cost?

Thanks.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Well, it depends on the projector, but if you averaged it out:

Figure 2500 - 3500 hours on a bulb at a replacement cost of $250 to $350

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Old 06-26-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Well, it depends on the projector, but if you averaged it out:
Figure 2500 - 3500 hours on a bulb at a replacement cost of $250 to $350

Generous ballpark. I will say that though a lamp can last that long, it depends on many factors. But, what I find with our resident nuts (myself included) is many will RARELY go beyond about 1500. Why? Not necessarily because they die. But lamps dim over time...faster at first, and then slower. Especially in the OP's situation...more of a "TV Replacement" there is likely the potential that given that amount of hours it will get too dim for that type of use.

Of course each person is different in that regard...

Jason C. Turk
Technical Support, Customer Service, Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
Direct Line: 585-645-1004
Email: jason@avscience.com

Don't forget my nearly 13,000 posts under my old ID!

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System
Gear in this thread - W7000 by PriceGrabber.com