ADVICE NEEDED ON Upgrading JVC RS1x b/c unhappy with brightness under daytime ambient light. Which projector is best !? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-23-2012, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just finished building my new house and built what I thought was the perfect den for ambient light viewing.

I have Stewart Filmscreen grey hawk fixed 106" screen with gain.

I have a DVDO VP50pro video processor

Projector is ceiling mounted on center about 7' high and a distance about 12.5', close to minimum distance of 11' for brighter picture.

I don't have and windows in den and most have some curtains in adjacent rooms so daylight is not directly on screen at anytime.

I work from home and use my projector for my main TV watching HD cable throughout day with about 5 movies a week.

Bottom line, I purchased the RS1x as I had read it was brighter that the RS2 which had also just came out when I purchased, but I see the new JVC projectors have almost double the Lumens (1300 vs 700). I read enough to want to purchase a new projector now and would like advice.

3D is a plus, but not necessary.

Brighter is the most important reason for upgrade, but 2D picture needs to be as good or better than RS1X.

I was considering a B-stock RS50U or RS60U, but then I just read a thread that said they were some of dimmest after calibration and RS45 is much brighter.

I am not married to JVC so suggesting any brand/model brighter and having at least equal picture quality of RS1X is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-27-2012, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Do you care about 3D, if yes then the Epson 5010 is really bright and produces an image comparable to the RS1 as far as black levels (actually the Epson is slightly better).

That said, if you don't care about 3D, then you are not going to beat the image quality of the newer JVC's for overall contrast and black levels, and I also think on average the newer JVC's are some of the sharpest non-DLP projectors ever made.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3 of 8 Old 06-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
If you are worried about the brightness under daytime conditions, consider buy a black diamond screen. That's what I did..... I wanted a new PJ but decided on keeping the RS2 for 1 or 2 more years and decided to upgrade to a BD screen, which of course allows for the ambient light in the room and also will be a good fit with any new PJ I purchase in the future.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-28-2012, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
If you like brightness the first thing I would do is get a Dalite HP screen. I had an RS2 with about a 7-1/2' ceiling with the projector dropped down about 8" which is roughly your height and in the middle seats in line with the projector the brightness jump was very noticeable. Personally I would go that route first as that is going to be a noticeable difference in brightness and then I would look at a new projector when the new models roll around later this year (or look at closeouts from the current year then). Just my 2 cents.

Good luck!
post #5 of 8 Old 06-29-2012, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I also have the da-lite HP 106 in a non-controlled LR, w/ my back facing the front foyer. Do have a screen/room divider behind me to block some of the lights. I could watch afternoon football game but would not able to appreciate my movies, esp. sci-fi. The RS10 is slightly brighter than the RS20, but still not good enough for me when there is too much sun.

My next upgrade would either be an Epson or Sony, due to their brightness. For sheer movie viewing, I love my RS20 after a dozen projectors. Just re-watched Alien last night to catch up after Prometheus; it was awesome black.

GL.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-29-2012, 05:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Without seeing a picture of what your screen looks like during the day time, it is hard to say how much a brighter projector would help. I would guess that a specialty screen like the Black Diamond, Vutec Silverstar or DNP Supernova would probably help you the most for movie watching during the day. A High Power screen greatly increases brightness, but it can only do so much if there is very little black level to begin with. I have a 2.8 gain High Power in a room with a lot of ambient light. During the day the image is un-watchable and no amount of projector brightness is going to change that. If you have any questions, shoot us an email.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #7 of 8 Old 06-29-2012, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Get a cheap 2500 lumen DLP projector for daytime watching. Use the RS1 at night. Be happy! I am still amazed at what the little Acer 5360 does on my screen. Looks sharp for a 720p image too. Can be had for under $500 too. If you can see the screen glow during the day all you can do is go with a very bright projector but you will always have washed out dark scenes unless you go with that black diamond screen.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-29-2012, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy View Post

Get a cheap 2500 lumen DLP projector for daytime watching. Use the RS1 at night. Be happy! I am still amazed at what the little Acer 5360 does on my screen. Looks sharp for a 720p image too. Can be had for under $500 too. If you can see the screen glow during the day all you can do is go with a very bright projector but you will always have washed out dark scenes unless you go with that black diamond screen.

I use a acer h5360 with my RS40 and 55 that I had. Saved a lot of hours on my jvc projectors and the acer only cost me $400
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Acer H5360 3d Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread - H5360 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page