EPSON 6010- SCREEN SIZE AND SCREEN TYPE HELP FOR 16 X 16 FEET ROOM - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-24-2012, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HELLO

I am planning to buy the EPSON 6010 projector. I would like to know if anyone had an experience of maximum screen size I can go with without losing the quality.

Room Size- 16' x 16' Feet
Floor to Ceiling- 9 Feet

Seating distance from screen will be aprx 14~15 feet

I NEED THE BIGGGGGEST screen I can get in this room dimensions. Can anyone advise pls ? I tried few calculators however I read somewhere this projector beyond 120inch screen loses quality of image ? True ?

Also What screen Type would you recommend ?

Room has minimal ambient lighting.

MOST USE FOR PROJECTOR- 95% MOVES, 5% OTHERS

Thanks
parshre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-25-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parshre View Post

HELLO
I am planning to buy the EPSON 6010 projector. I would like to know if anyone had an experience of maximum screen size I can go with without losing the quality.
Room Size- 16' x 16' Feet
Floor to Ceiling- 9 Feet
Seating distance from screen will be aprx 14~15 feet
I NEED THE BIGGGGGEST screen I can get in this room dimensions. Can anyone advise pls ? I tried few calculators however I read somewhere this projector beyond 120inch screen loses quality of image ? True ?
Also What screen Type would you recommend ?
Room has minimal ambient lighting.
MOST USE FOR PROJECTOR- 95% MOVES, 5% OTHERS
Thanks
parshre

It's not a matter of losing image qualtity for larger screens, but selecting a screen that is the appropriate size for your viewing distance. The long standing rule of thumb is the seating distance should be about 1.5 times the screen width (not diagonal) when you are using a 1080p projector and a 16 x 9 screen. For a 120" diagonal screen, which is about 104" wide then the appropriate seating distance would be around (104 x 1.5 =) 156" (13 ft.). Therefore for a 14' to 15' seating distance you would use a 16 x 9 screen of perhaps upto 130" diagonal. I would suggest you look for a screen with some positive gain (e.g. 1.3) as this can help with the loss of brightness for 3D viewing. Even though the Epson 6010 is one of the brightest projectors in this price range for 3D, it could still use a screen with some positve gain when you go with a screen of this size, especially as the lamp gets some hours of use and starts to dim.
Parshre likes this.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #3 of 9 Old 06-25-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Is there a reason why you are not considering the Epson 5010? It is basically the same projector as the 6010, but at a lower cost since it does not include the spare lamp, mount and extra year of warranty. It also has a white case rather than black case and it does not do the stretch for an A-lens, but that is not needed for a 16:9 screen. This would save you several hundred.
Parshre likes this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #4 of 9 Old 06-25-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Just measure the distince and hight you have count speakers in they should not be pressed in the cornors idealy you want them 3' from the walls and look a tthe sizes on screen. Also do you have any ambiant light. Screen Innovations has a nice calculator on there site to check light and what screens will work based on size and projector.
Parshre likes this.

Jason
Note: Any posts are of my personal opinions and not to reflect upon any business.

Jason@programmergeek.com

908 578-6466

post #5 of 9 Old 06-25-2012, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

By the time I add the mount, spare bulb and extra warranty and 2 glasses it will be close to the epson 6010 price.
Besides I believe Epson6010 has thx calibrated.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-25-2012, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I will check out the screen innovations website.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-26-2012, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

It's not a matter of losing image qualtity for larger screens, but selecting a screen that is the appropriate size for your viewing distance. The long standing rule of thumb is the seating distance should be about 1.5 times the screen width (not diagonal) when you are using a 1080p projector and a 16 x 9 screen. For a 120" diagonal screen, which is about 104" wide then the appropriate seating distance would be around (104 x 1.5 =) 156" (13 ft.). Therefore for a 14' to 15' seating distance you would use a 16 x 9 screen of perhaps upto 130" diagonal. I would suggest you look for a screen with some positive gain (e.g. 1.3) as this can help with the loss of brightness for 3D viewing. Even though the Epson 6010 is one of the brightest projectors in this price range for 3D, it could still use a screen with some positve gain when you go with a screen of this size, especially as the lamp gets some hours of use and starts to dim.

Thanks. I am debating between 2.35 and 16:9 screen format. Any word of advise. As I mentioned I mainly watch DVD/blu ray movies. I am not prepared to invest in panamorph lens yet- however Is it okay if I get a 2.35 screen and project without A lens ?

Secondly can I use Epson projector zoom function to fill the 2.35 screen ?
post #8 of 9 Old 06-30-2012, 02:16 PM

I'm 2.35:1 123" Stewart ST130G3 screen with 6010. Yes, you can zoom for cinemascope movies, which is what I watch primarily. But it is pain to go back and forth because zoom is manual. I've bought ISCO IIIL with auto slide to avoid zooming.

You should consider a projector with remote zoom and memory if you want to go with 2.35 screen w/o any anamorphic lens, I suggest.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-30-2012, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Or you could build a diy zoom kit like this one, http://www.avsforum.com/t/1401911/diy-motorization-of-epson-5010 pretty nice setup if you can enclose it I think.
The picture links at the bottom of the thread work.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page