Moving from RS20 to 6010? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-28-2012, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm in the process of building a home that will have a slightly shorter dedicated space at only 15 ft of room length. I'm opting for a single row of seats so the screen to seating distance is enough to allow for a larger screen (14 ft wide room). I'm considering going with an approximately 115 in wide screen so it appears that my current RS20 will not throw that wide an image from 13 ft (lens to screen).

I'm considering replacing the RS20 with a 5010 or 6010 because it has a shorter throw ratio that looks like will work in my new space. Does anyone have experience with both? What will I lose performance-wise? My primary viewing includes blu-ray (75%) and HD television & sports (25%). Very little viewing will be 3D with the exception of occasional kid stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-05-2012, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
can't you get a lens adaptor to work with your 20? I wouldn't want to get rid of my rs20 just because of room size, but with the price of the 5010, it could be a wash price-wise with an adaptor....

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #3 of 8 Old 07-05-2012, 02:31 PM
amt

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I always wondered if a projector like these could be positioned vertically, so that it projected straight down, but also using a small first surface mirror right in front of the lens, at 45 degrees, to direct the image to a screen. This could save 2+ feet in throw distance.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-05-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by amt View Post

I always wondered if a projector like these could be positioned vertically, so that it projected straight down, but also using a small first surface mirror right in front of the lens, at 45 degrees, to direct the image to a screen. This could save 2+ feet in throw distance.

Projector will not last long, running it in that position. I believe the max tilt range for the RS20 is +/- 30 degrees. You could still do the first mirror, but you would need to shoot the beam from the projector parallel to the back wall.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #5 of 8 Old 07-06-2012, 03:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Get an A-Lens.

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-06-2012, 06:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highjinx View Post

Get an A-Lens.

That opens up a whole new world, if you are a movie watcher. Getting ready to go watch a movie in my HT and I really like my scope screen and lens setup. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #7 of 8 Old 07-08-2012, 02:35 PM

Liked: 10
I have owned both.

The JVC RS20 isn't very bright and, of course, doesn't project 3D. I used it with a table mount and anamophic lens on a slide. With the anamorphic lens in place, you better have full control of the light.

The Epsons are very bright, and project 3D. Also, they have a great short throw and a good lens. But, watch out for the alignment of the chip set. My 6010 chip set was not well aligned which caused color fringe on white letters, etc., at least 1-1.5 pixels off in some areas of the screen, almost perfect in others. The chip alignment can not be adjusted nearly enough with the electronics. Neither can the color managment system. And I am less than completely satisfied with focus.

The alignment was so bad on my 6010 that I asked for a replacement projector--a new one. And I got it! I was able to get a great deal on a new Wolf S-15 so I am going to sell the new 6010.

Epson customer service rocks. I also have the 3010 set for projecting on a fixed 1.78 screen and, except for the magenta shaded grey scale, particularly the deep blacks, I get a really bright picture for hardly any money and it makes HD tv rock.

The focus/sharpness of the JVC is superior. The JVC black level is better on "real material", even after all these years. And, I recall that the short throw ratio ~1.45-1.5 was very good on the JVC. The JVC is quiet too, a little more quiet than the Epson, IIRC.

I sold my JVC RS20 several years ago to buy a Runco LS-5. I love DLP projectors, even single chip and, no, I don't see the rainbow effect. But DLPs just aren't very bright unless you spend a whole lot of money. Then I sold the Runco to buy the Epson.

And now, I am selling the Epson to buy a JVC based Wolf, go figure. Best wishe!

" I beseech you, ....., think it possible that you may be mistaken!" Oliver Cromwell
post #8 of 8 Old 07-08-2012, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Very good points there, nice post.
I had noted to everyone that the JVC's are sharper than the Epsons unless you get lucky, that said if you get a decently converged Epson, then the difference of the focus won't be that noticeable in most movies (if at all). It is noticeable in HTPC. I kid you not that my RS-45 beats every cheap DLP in sharpness, other than the higher-end ones and the super sharp Benq's (which it nearly ties).

A long time ago before the 5010 even came out I was noting that the JVC will beat Sony and Epsons for sharpness and pretty much every non-DLP in its price range. The other projectors are usually sharp enough, but for some sharpness junkies the JVC is better. JVC had somehow gotten an incorrect reputation on not being as sharp as some projectors (probably from reviewers comparing cherry picked units), but it's completely false. I've seen way more JVC's and Epsons in person than most reviewers have even seen. There are some JVC's that have bad convergence, but it's fairly rare, whereas Epson it's more like 25% chance you get bad convergence (just an estimate). It was more common the RS20 and before to get so-so convergence, on RS40/50/60 and RS45/55/65 it can still happen, but it's not the norm (and I've seen different ones).

That said, I don't dislike the Epson, but as a sharpness junkie the JVC was amazing for a NON-DLP.

The JVC's do get a star or two taken off for lamps and 3d ghosting and some QC issues, but it's the price we pay for that extra sharp image with the best blacks.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dlahd750 200 Inches 1080p Front Projector Black , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 Projector , Runco Ls 5 Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page