Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-02-2012, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Location: n.j if the world gets an enema the hose will be above us
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It's way past the time to go bigscreen for me . I've recently bought one of these and I have been reading threads on the subject but there is one question I need to ask . What are those streaks of light that occur when there is a dark scene with something bright in it ? Is this what's called "light corners" . If it is then how do you minimise and or get rid of it . Also is there a thread about the latest HD Fury that appears to be able to provide 3d (albeit in 720p) for projectors like this .

build coffins. that's all you'll need. R Neville
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-03-2012, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I'm pretty sure what you're talking about is color separation aka "the rainbow effect" which is only a symptom of single chip DLP projectors that use color wheels. The Pioneer projector you're talking about is a 3 chip LCOS projector so you aren't going to have to worry about that at all.

As far as the 3D goes, the maximum input refresh rate accepted on that projector is 60hz. You may be able to force something higher but chances are that's as good as it gets. For 3D you want higher refresh rates. Preferably something at or above 120hz. The reasoning behind that is to reduce image flicker. With active 3D glasses the slower the panels on the glasses blank the more noticeable they are to your eyes and it gives the impression that the image is flickering. So when you do 30hz per eye per second (to achieve 60hz on the Pioneer) you may be able to see a "flickering" image. That's really the only drawback with doing 3D at 60hz.

And by the way "light corners" are exactly what they sound like. It's only really noticeable on a completely black frame. Some, or all, of the corners seem to be brighter than the center of the screen. As of late most projectors don't suffer from that issue.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-03-2012, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you for responding to my query . After using the pj for a while now the issue appears to be that whenever there is a dark scene with say torches in it or even white clothing these diagonal streaks of light show up and bleed into the black bars on the top and bottom . I'm currently using it with a ps3 and the arrows that indicate the disc is playing do this . Could it be the screen I'm using ? It's a Vutec screen 4x3 that claims to have 13,2 gain . It was originally for a crt pj and it will be replaced with something more appropriate when I get the chance . Thanks for the 3d info . I suppose 2 35 1 would be the better option .

post #4 of 8 Old 07-04-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

That sounds more like an issue with the projector itself. I would try and search around and see if this is a common issue with this projector and see if people have found sine kind of solution.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-04-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

That sounds more like an issue with the projector itself. I would try and search around and see if this is a common issue with this projector and see if people have found sine kind of solution.

Agreed...sounds like perhaps a defective PJ. Though that is not an ideal screen either...

Jason C. Turk
Technical Support, Customer Service, Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
Direct Line: 585-645-1004
Email: jason@avscience.com

Don't forget my nearly 13,000 posts under my old ID!

post #6 of 8 Old 07-05-2012, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It does the light thing on other surfaces as well . Could it be repaired ? Possibly a lens issue ? Other than that it puts out a really bright punchy picture .

post #7 of 8 Old 07-05-2012, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Update . After spending the better part of an hour looking up repair services (JVC or pioneer ?) I decided out of sheer desperation to move the screen and replace it with a white bedsheet . This has virtually eliminated the problem . I only notice it in a very few scenes . So a much lower gain screen should help . Any recommendations would be appreciated . Is it that CRT pjs were so dim that they required such hi gain .

post #8 of 8 Old 07-06-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, it could have been some sort of hotspotting issue with the high gain screen. Try and get something with a little less gain. Something around or under 1.3 should be good enough as long as you don't purchase a huge screen.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page