Anyone go from a JVC RS2/Pioneer clone to the Sony HW30? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-05-2012, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I currently own the Pioneer's JVC RS2 clone and am considering picking up a used HW30 from a very well respected member of this forum. I have a few questions to ask.

1. How do they compare in picture sharpness? My Pioneer has poor red convergence and looks fairly soft.

2. Does the HW30 have considerably more light output?

3. How does the black level and contrast compare?

Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-06-2012, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are you only considering the Sony? I went from the Pioneer to the BenQ.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-06-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 526
The softness could be helped some by adding a Darbee Darblet. Yes the HW30 will be brighter.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #4 of 13 Old 07-06-2012, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I moved from an RS1 to the HW30. Made for a very happy update. :-)

Yes Brighter, and so far the bulb seem to hold their brightness better than most projectors. The black levers seem similar or better (with the help of the iris.)

but one of the best improvements is in motion. Pans and the like all feel smoother and make it easier to see what is going on when there is all that action on screen.

And for me 3D turned out to be a happy bonus. I did not enjoy 3D in the theaters or any of the demos in the store... until this projector. (and the Monster glasses.) Now I have collected too many 3D blu rays than I should have.

Overall you should be happy with the improvements. More so if you game on your projector. (I have done some PS3 gaming on it.)
post #5 of 13 Old 07-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

I moved from the Pioneer FPJ1 to the HW30 and wasn't satisfied with the black level/contrast. It didn't look "bad" but 2D just didn't have the same pop as the FPJ1. I recently moved up to the 95 and am satisfied.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-08-2012, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I saw the Sony HW30 in a darkened room as well and the black level looked to be a bit of a downgrade. Everything else looked grear otherwise but the contrast for me is a deal breaker. I did upgrade to an RS45 and am very pleased. At this point though you may as well wait. The HW30 came out last August so it's replacement could come next month. No details on improvements but IMO I would definitely wait and see. Just my 2 cents.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-09-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

I saw the Sony HW30 in a darkened room as well and the black level looked to be a bit of a downgrade. Everything else looked grear otherwise but the contrast for me is a deal breaker. I did upgrade to an RS45 and am very pleased. At this point though you may as well wait. The HW30 came out last August so it's replacement could come next month. No details on improvements but IMO I would definitely wait and see. Just my 2 cents.

That is not surprising. The reality is JVC is the best for black level...period. And they do it without iris tricks. Generally, forgetting specs, if you really measure units, especially those with DI's, they will not perform anywhere near what they claim, especially how one would actually want to watch it.

Don't get me wrong the Sony does some things better, like motion, but again, even though it is newer, it won't have the same black level performance.

Jason C. Turk
Technical Support, Customer Service, Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
Direct Line: 585-645-1004
Email: jason@avscience.com

Don't forget my nearly 13,000 posts under my old ID!

post #8 of 13 Old 07-09-2012, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm surprised that after all these years Sony hasn't pulled a JVC apart and reverse engineered what JVC is able to accomplish for black levels and came out with a more comparable projector as far as contrast goes without the use of the iris.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-09-2012, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 395
that's like saying JVC should have figured out how to have better motion, better 3D, lamps that are 1/2 their current price and don't burn out before their time... cool.gif

Both projectors (HW30 and RS45) have their pro's / cons, it's a matter of what fits the specific user's environment.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-10-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

I'm surprised that after all these years Sony hasn't pulled a JVC apart and reverse engineered what JVC is able to accomplish for black levels and came out with a more comparable projector as far as contrast goes without the use of the iris.

I am sure to some degree it has been done. But Sony doesn't like to be a follower (no one does), even if their are better aspects.

Jason C. Turk
Technical Support, Customer Service, Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
Direct Line: 585-645-1004
Email: jason@avscience.com

Don't forget my nearly 13,000 posts under my old ID!

post #11 of 13 Old 07-10-2012, 03:00 PM

I still LOVE my JVC HD100 (RS2) after all these years. No need to replace yet it as I bought a 3D plasma TV :-)
post #12 of 13 Old 07-11-2012, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

that's like saying JVC should have figured out how to have better motion, better 3D, lamps that are 1/2 their current price and don't burn out before their time... cool.gif
Both projectors (HW30 and RS45) have their pro's / cons, it's a matter of what fits the specific user's environment.

I was going to give JVC another year before saying that since 3D is relatively new. wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 3 View Post

I am sure to some degree it has been done. But Sony doesn't like to be a follower (no one does), even if their are better aspects.

Sometimes an old dog needs to learn new tricks (or in this case old tricks). smile.gif
post #13 of 13 Old 07-11-2012, 10:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Probably an issue on patent restrictions. Even if JVC doesn't have the patent on some of the critical parts, companies often get patents on methods or combinations of middle-ware parts to make it as a whole nearly impossible to reverse engineer something without opening yourself up to a major patent lawsuit. Projectors are complex enough to where patenting certain original aspects of a design are going to be fairly simple even if the actual parts are based on non-patentable technology.

If JVC left it open and easy, I'm sure their contrast specs would have been duplicated, they are obviously protecting the design to the best of their ability (which they should). Either that or they hold trade secrets that no-one can easily figure out, but either way it's basically the same result, not so easy to copy or reverse engineer.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw30es 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector , Jvc Dla Rs1 Projector
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page