RS15 to RS40 - worth it? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-06-2012, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I recently went from an RS15 to a Sony HW30ES. After owning the Sony I am finding I have no real desire to watch 3D. I have decided I want the better 2D image of the JVC. Occasional 3D might be warranted, so I am considering the RS40. For those who have seen both; is the 2D image of the RS40 as good as the RS15?

Thanks,

Willie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-06-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 404
About a 20% to 25% increase in brightness. About a 50% increase in contrast. You also get the ability to do 3D. There will not be much difference as far as CMS goes. I think the lens on the 40 on average is sharper than the lens on the 15. Only you can decide if that is enough for an upgrade.

Added
The RS40 and RS15 do not have full CMS. You have to step up to the higher end JVC's to get a full CMS.

Per Art: http://www.projectorreviews.com/jvc/dla-rs15/calibration.php
"The JVC DLA-RS15 home theater projector lacks the full CMS - color management system - found on the more expensive JVC's. This means that you can only calibrate it "so far". That happens to be plenty far, however, as we obtained a rather great looking image with fine skin tones, with a standard grayscale calibration."

Out of the box, the colors on the RS40 are not as exaggerated as the RS15.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-06-2012, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Mike. I'll be in touch about a B-stock.

Willie
post #4 of 11 Old 07-06-2012, 01:56 PM
GGA
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Mike, how would you compare my RS10 to the RS40? I use a Lumagen XS. Thanks.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-06-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGA View Post

Mike, how would you compare my RS10 to the RS40? I use a Lumagen XS. Thanks.

I think the RS40 is better than the RS10. Has about the same differences as the RS15 to the RS40. In addition to those items, you would also gain CFI.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-09-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

About a 20% to 25% increase in brightness. About a 50% increase in contrast. You also get the ability to do 3D. There will not be much difference as far as CMS goes. I think the lens on the 40 on average is sharper than the lens on the 15. Only you can decide if that is enough for an upgrade.

To be clear...the RS40 does not have a CMS like the RS15, but the RS40 does have a preset which is fairly close to Rec 709. The RS15 was grossly oversaturated.

Whether that is an issue depends on if the colors of the RS15 have bothered the customer until now...

Jason C. Turk
Technical Support, Customer Service, Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
Direct Line: 585-645-1004
Email:

Don't forget my nearly 13,000 posts under my old ID!

post #7 of 11 Old 07-17-2012, 12:08 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I put this document together last week from information on Projector Central to help me decide whether to purchase a used JVC projector or a new one. Obviously, there are multiple factors to consider, but for me, I focused on price, the specifications listed in the document for the specific models I was considering, as well as their specific condition (convergence, uniformity, etc.) and unit history. Sometimes, the last two item in the list are a gamble, and that plays a big role for me, as my time is valuable.

Edit: I forgot to include in my list how the details of the particular room and screen size / gain affect a projector buying decision.

I hope this document helps someone out.

Mark

Mark JVC Projector Info.docx 105k .docx file
Attached Files
File Type: docx JVC Projector Info.docx (104.7 KB, 14 views)

post #8 of 11 Old 07-17-2012, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I ended up going with an RS45 in my theater. I moved the RS15 to my game room; not sure what I will do with my Sony HW30 for the moment.

When the JVCs are calibrated correctly most people would be hard pressed to identify which one is which. The added lens memory was a selling point for me for the RS45. The JVC is sharper than the Sony. I haven't tried the 3D primarily because after watching a series of 3D titles on the Sony HW30AES I don't find it compelling (for me).

Willie
post #9 of 11 Old 07-18-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie View Post

I ended up going with an RS45 in my theater. I moved the RS15 to my game room; not sure what I will do with my Sony HW30 for the moment.
When the JVCs are calibrated correctly most people would be hard pressed to identify which one is which. The added lens memory was a selling point for me for the RS45. The JVC is sharper than the Sony. I haven't tried the 3D primarily because after watching a series of 3D titles on the Sony HW30AES I don't find it compelling (for me).
Willie

Bingo!!! It is refreshing another says the same thing I do. All to often people get a bit obsessive on differences that ultimately in the read world are not going to make a large change.

Any time I discuss I take my personal experience for the past 21+ years in the business, such as how my family and I watch things, and try to relay that. It is VERY easy to get carried away worrying about things that often are not going to make a huge difference.

Jason C. Turk
Technical Support, Customer Service, Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
Direct Line: 585-645-1004
Email:

Don't forget my nearly 13,000 posts under my old ID!

post #10 of 11 Old 07-18-2012, 09:08 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 3 View Post

Bingo!!! It is refreshing another says the same thing I do. All to often people get a bit obsessive on differences that ultimately in the read world are not going to make a large change.
Any time I discuss I take my personal experience for the past 21+ years in the business, such as how my family and I watch things, and try to relay that. It is VERY easy to get carried away worrying about things that often are not going to make a huge difference.

AVS Forum members are obsessive?!?

Hogwash!eek.gifbiggrin.gif

By the way, please ignore the obsessively crafted Audyssey Setup Guide in my signature when considering the context of my above statement. eek.gifcool.gif

post #11 of 11 Old 07-18-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

I think the RS40 is better than the RS10. Has about the same differences as the RS15 to the RS40. In addition to those items, you would also gain CFI.

I just saw a RS45 at a local ht shop and was surprised how similar it looks to my RS10 - in static, non action scenes. However, in the flying sequences of Avatar (2d) it was noticably clearer than my RS10.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw30es 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector , Jvc Dla Rs40u , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page