Epson 5010, BenQ W7000, Mitsubishi HC9000D $4K+ budget w/ screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 07-07-2012, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Guys, I'm hoping you can help, it's been a while.

14' throw, 11' seating, no light control, white walls, sliding glass door on left frown.gif

I used to have the Epson 8700UB w/ Da-Lite Model B 1.3 gain screen 2 yrs ago, and have been without anything for last 2. I liked the epson btw.

Now I'm back but things looks like they've advanced.. I want to have y 50" plasma as day to day, and have a screen drop down in front of it at night for movie night and sunday football (what I did last time). This is the living room, not dedicated HT. The home is a rental and I expect in 2 yrs I'll be moving. I'd like to think I'll keep this system but that's not certain.

Projector will sit on a shelf 14' from screen, seating is 11' back. Wall is 12' wide where screen will be (garage door to the left). White walls, and a sliding glass door with vertical blinds on the left wall.

Movies at night sometimes start before it gets fully dark

So that being said, what should I get these days? 3D would be kinda cool, more for me then the kids smile.gif

For screen, what size would you recommend? 106" or 120"? Thoughts on the monoprice screens motorized drop down or Vapex visual apex, or go back to the Da-Lite? Or do I invest in a high end like firehawk.

More important is which projector? I was thinking the Epson 5010 or the BenQ W7000, but also see the Mitsubishi HC9000D online for $3K (from a list of $10K? what am I missing?)

Anyway, would love your advice on both projector and screen. Budget is about $4k

thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 07-07-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Do you have a specific budget? Are you considering CIH?

You could also consider automated blackout curtains if light is an issue. I did that in my last house and it was great for mid morning games.

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
post #3 of 28 Old 07-07-2012, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post

Do you have a specific budget? Are you considering CIH?
You could also consider automated blackout curtains if light is an issue. I did that in my last house and it was great for mid morning games.

My wife probably won't allow blackout curtains for WAF factor unless you have something that looks good frown.gif

re: CIH.. had to look that up! I dont think so, I haven't done much research on that.
post #4 of 28 Old 07-07-2012, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 153
There are lots of different styles in blackout curtains, they are just hard to find in different colors sometimes.
My vote is the Epson 5010 btw, it;s brighter in 3D and brighter in 2D, and has higher contrast than the Benq.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #5 of 28 Old 07-07-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Constant image height is awesome and while it may or may not be important to you, I would look into it. I installed it on in my HT in my old house (with the guidance of Jason Turk) and will do the same in my new home. It's definitely worth the time to look into. Getting that full cinematic experience and not having the black bars is spectacular. The only real difference is your screen is wider than the standard 16x9 and you have to make an adjustment if the movie is in wide format. I used a lens, but some people use the zoom method.

There are different ways you can go with blackout curtains and they can certainly look good or be almost invisible when not in use.
  1. You can have blackout drapes made with hooks that you can clip on for those early games and fold away later.
  2. Roller curtains that our housed in a box that can completely blend into the decor our be internally mounted.
  3. Standard blackout blinds that fit behind your other blinds.

I had the drapes that had to be hooked on initially and it's quick, easy and the cheapest method. When put away they're obviously not visible at all. Should have no WAF issues. Roller blinds are awesome and can be automated to turn on when you lower your screen. Very nice upgrade, but not cheap. My current home that I purchased has blackout blinds throughout the entire house, which I actually don't care for the look, but they're very effective and with window decorations it's ok.
gadgetfreaky likes this.

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
post #6 of 28 Old 07-07-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 537
I would look at a 110" 16:9 screen. A gray screen with gain would be best, but harder to do at your price point.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #7 of 28 Old 07-07-2012, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post

Constant image height is awesome and while it may or may not be important to you, I would look into it. I installed it on in my HT in my old house (with the guidance of Jason Turk) and will do the same in my new home. It's definitely worth the time to look into. Getting that full cinematic experience and not having the black bars is spectacular. The only real difference is your screen is wider than the standard 16x9 and you have to make an adjustment if the movie is in wide format. I used a lens, but some people use the zoom method.
There are different ways you can go with blackout curtains and they can certainly look good or be almost invisible when not in use.
  1. You can have blackout drapes made with hooks that you can clip on for those early games and fold away later.
  2. Roller curtains that our housed in a box that can completely blend into the decor our be internally mounted.
  3. Standard blackout blinds that fit behind your other blinds.
I had the drapes that had to be hooked on initially and it's quick, easy and the cheapest method. When put away they're obviously not visible at all. Should have no WAF issues. Roller blinds are awesome and can be automated to turn on when you lower your screen. Very nice upgrade, but not cheap. My current home that I purchased has blackout blinds throughout the entire house, which I actually don't care for the look, but they're very effective and with window decorations it's ok.

I love the idea of drapes with hooks that I can just throw on. there's a stairwell i can store them under! I'm assuming the epson 5010 doesn't do CIH?
post #8 of 28 Old 07-07-2012, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

I would look at a 110" 16:9 screen. A gray screen with gain would be best, but harder to do at your price point.

Mike,

Thanks.. I actually was going to call you guys as you AVS hooked me up on my Da-Lite last time. Which screen would you recommend and how much? Assuming you also recommend the Epson 5010?

I noticed you had the mitsubishi Demo for sale, but why is it more expensive than the others selling it new? You have it at $5K, new at some of the other sponsors are $3K. Can I get a deal on it with a screen? smile.gif

If I get the Epson from you guys, do you still do ISF calibrations before sending out? Maybe have you calibrate it to the screen I'm buying?

thanks!!
post #9 of 28 Old 07-08-2012, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Well since I been trying to get all the knowledge that I can.. CIH is something new thrown into the book lol. More to learn more to read more to get confused lol
post #10 of 28 Old 07-08-2012, 07:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post

Mike,
Thanks.. I actually was going to call you guys as you AVS hooked me up on my Da-Lite last time. Which screen would you recommend and how much? Assuming you also recommend the Epson 5010?
I noticed you had the mitsubishi Demo for sale, but why is it more expensive than the others selling it new? You have it at $5K, new at some of the other sponsors are $3K. Can I get a deal on it with a screen? smile.gif
If I get the Epson from you guys, do you still do ISF calibrations before sending out? Maybe have you calibrate it to the screen I'm buying?
thanks!!

Give me a call and we can discuss. smile.gif

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #11 of 28 Old 07-08-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I love the idea of drapes with hooks that I can just throw on. there's a stairwell i can store them under! I'm assuming the epson 5010 doesn't do CIH?

Aspect Ratio:
Native 16:9 widescreen (4:3 resize)
Compatible with 4:3 and 2.35:1 video formats with Normal, Full or Zoom Modes.

Looks like it does support it.

post #12 of 28 Old 07-11-2012, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mike from AVS was of course super helpful..

I think I'm settling down to either the Epson 5010 or the Mitsibushi HC9000D which street price isn't that much a part. But there isn't many reviews on the mitsubishi, in particularly comparing it to the 5010.

BTW, is there going to be the soap opera effect on either?

Lastly I think we are going to do the 110" Da-Lite High Power High Contrast screen.

Would love everyone's input on this setup.

thanks!
post #13 of 28 Old 07-13-2012, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Any help here or thoughts on Epson 5010 vs. Mitsibushi HC 9000D?
post #14 of 28 Old 07-13-2012, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
A forum tends to become a buy what I bought, PLEASE. The Epson is a good machine. The Mits is a much better machine which for example has a much better lens just for one example. It was much more expensive than the Epson but now cab be had for prices near that of the Epson. I have personally had both machines in my HT and I would choose the Mits in a heart beat. Be cause of the initial high cost of the Mits, few members purchased it. I myself sold about 10 and my Seles staff sold a bunch. No complaints once the software was updated by Mits. Few people have seen both and many many here purchased the 5010 and will tell you buy that. Very few have seen the Mits and that is a pity.
post #15 of 28 Old 07-13-2012, 09:00 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Lastly I think we are going to do the 110" Da-Lite High Power High Contrast screen.
Would love everyone's input on this setup.
thanks!

Hi gadgetgreaky,

If you have the room...go at least 120" . A couple of years ago when I first got a 100" screen I thought that was big/nice. Now I have a 120" and it's much better.

Most newer projectors are brighter so can handle the larger screen. Also 120" is not considered 'very large' anymore. You used to have to pay alot more for a 120" screen 5-10 years ago. Not today.

Btw. I have an Epson 5010 + 120" Dalite High Power screen and it's a very nice combination. However if I could roll the dice again I would have like to try a Jvc RS-45 instead. The Epson I feel is too bright for the DaLite High Power screen. I would imagine this screen will go really well with the Jvc because of the higher native contrast.
post #16 of 28 Old 07-13-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

A forum tends to become a buy what I bought, PLEASE. The Epson is a good machine. The Mits is a much better machine which for example has a much better lens just for one example.

The Mits is better at 2D than the Epson for sure, but it fails in 3D. The Epson has an edgier image and the Mits the better natural native contrast image (don't need to see the Mits cause I've seen the Sony's and JVC's, so I know it's close).

Mits is an ok deal, but the JVC is a better deal I feel, although the Mits probably has SLIGHTLY less ghosting than the JVC (but Mits still ghosts very bad). The main advantage of the Mits over the Sony's was the sharper image, the JVC's give that advantage anyhow. The Mits has better motion though, so in that respect perhaps it beats the JVC at that one thing, but the MIts has inferior black levels to the JVC. The JVC is also brighter.

From all the reports by calibrators, the only real advantage the Mits had over the JVC was motion, but JVC beat it in brightness and contrast. I'm not real sure about 3D ghosting, but I heard the Mits was "bad enough".

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #17 of 28 Old 07-13-2012, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I feel the JVC is a better deal as well. The 2D picture quality is about 95% as good as the VW95 for half the price. I've seen the Epson at 3 different places and not impressed at all... too digital and edgy looking.
post #18 of 28 Old 07-13-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Any help here or thoughts on Epson 5010 vs. Mitsibushi HC 9000D?
Keep in mind that if you go with an Epson and CIH, you'll need an A-lens since the Epson don't provide lens memory for zoom option. It's mechanical set once and forget. Also, you'll have to consider the 6010 for stretch modes or the 5010 and a separate video processor.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

post #19 of 28 Old 07-13-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I meant the JVC is a better deal than the MIts, not the Epson.
Epson and JVC are two different horses in separate races.

Epson is a torchy projector with good 2D and very good 3D, JVC is reference 2D with questionable 3D.
Mits is Sony like 2D with worse 3D.

Guess Mits is for those people that want best motion for things like sports and don't want the Sony.

post #20 of 28 Old 07-14-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

I meant the JVC is a better deal than the MIts, not the Epson.
Epson and JVC are two different horses in separate races.
Epson is a torchy projector with good 2D and very good 3D, JVC is reference 2D with questionable 3D.
Mits is Sony like 2D with worse 3D.
Guess Mits is for those people that want best motion for things like sports and don't want the Sony.

The Mits has a nice sharp lens and handles motion like the VW95. At nearly the same price point, the choice between Mits and Epson would be a no brainer for me, but I am not a 3D guy. smile.gif

post #21 of 28 Old 07-14-2012, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have read that the Mits is a bright pj, i currently have the 8350 and looking to upgrade. On fence between 6010 and Mits 9000. My setup is in the living room with blackout curtains. Pj is about 13-15 feet from screen shelf mounted. I watch mostly on living room mode on a 106" diagnal screen. How would the Mits hold up? I do all on my pj (movies, games, tv). Would there be a night and day difference between the 8350 and 6010? 6010 and Mits? 8350 and Mits?
post #22 of 28 Old 07-14-2012, 06:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

As noted, probably be a little sharper than the Sony hw30, but with worse 3D. The blacks are about the same as the Sony hw30 AFIK.
It is going to be a more consistent experience for movies over the Epson, LCD is a bit edgy at times, sometimes it can look flat, other times it can even give a little more POP than LCOS. However, overall in reference level content the LCOS will run away. The thing that many people miss is that it depends on the movie, there are so many sub-par quality transfers and filmed movies out there, that it completely depends what you are watching. The JVC has lag in gaming if you play FPS or guitar hero like games, not sure about the MIts (I think the lag is low like the Sony).

As far as sharpness, by averages the Mits is probably sharper than the Epson, but if you get really lucky on convergence on an Epson, it could go either way. The JVC is probably the sharpest of them all on average, but the Mits is probably right there on its heels.

The Sony is better if you want 3D.

Mike probably knows more about it than me, he has seen it, I've only read calibration reports and reviews.

post #23 of 28 Old 07-14-2012, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Dont care too much about 3D. Sometimes 8350 is like WOW great looking pic and Sometimes its like nice pic.
post #24 of 28 Old 07-17-2012, 06:05 AM

Liked: 11
Hey guys, I was also deciding between the 5010/6010 and JVC (and Sony) but now stumbled upon the Mitsu9000. I feel like it will be 99% 2D as I do not have a lot of access to 3D movies. I plan on getting a 1.2 AT Seymour XD screen at 120" with a throw of 13 feet, seated at 11-12 feet. Is the Mitsu9000 going to be bright enough?--dedicated HT room with light control on the sides. I just saw some Sharp projector that was about $5K as well and I thought it was--ok. The epson 6010 I saw was nice and the 3D was good, but I doubt I will really get into it.

Thanks for your opinions.

Joe
post #25 of 28 Old 07-20-2012, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I'm going with the Mitsubushi at $3K. Still deciding on the right screen though. 1.1 gain or should I go to 1.5? Thinking Da-Lite cosmpolitan. Only downside of doing higher gain is the cone drops.. Sitting at 11' back if viewing from any seat on the sofa I want to make sure everyone has a great picture.
post #26 of 28 Old 07-20-2012, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I'm going with the Mitsubushi at $3K. Still deciding on the right screen though. 1.1 gain or should I go to 1.5? Thinking Da-Lite cosmpolitan. Only downside of doing higher gain is the cone drops.. Sitting at 11' back if viewing from any seat on the sofa I want to make sure everyone has a great picture.

Also, would love thoughts on the Vapex 106" tensioned http://www.visualapex.com/Projector-Screens/Projector_Screen_Details.asp?chPartNumber=VAPEX9106TN
post #27 of 28 Old 07-20-2012, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

As I was surfing around I saw this video http://www.projectorpeople.com/screens/

Wow!! that black diamod and the epson seem pretty amazing. Is the epson that bright?? Now I'm bouncing back to the epson over the mitsibushi..

But what motorized screen should I do?
post #28 of 28 Old 08-25-2012, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I ended up getting the Epson 5010 with a killer deal on a 100" Black Diamond Zero edge screen .8 gain.
http://www.screeninnovations.com/commercial/fixed/black-diamond-zero-edge/

The results are awesome. I can watch TV during the day with lots of ambient light without even having to put it in torch mode. At night I don't get too much reflection of light off the screen since it's dark gray so my white walls/ceilings don't light up. The pictures at night are better than my 50" panasonic plasma but now at 100"!!

There definitely is a tiny bit of screen sparkle if I stare at a spot that's white during a sceen but it's so minor the tradeoff is worth it and out of 30 people who've seen it they all just say wow. I've now convinced 2 other people to get the same setup smile.gif

Overall I would absolutely recommend this setup, it blows away my older epson 8700ub with dailight HP setup I had a few years back. The best part of it is when it's not on, it looks like a 100" plasma on the wall since it's a gray screen.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Mitsubishi Hc9000d 3d 1080p Lcd Projector
Gear in this thread - W7000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page