Quality difference between a projector and LCD/Plasma? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-07-2012, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm considering a projector based system in order to have a larger screen and because I keep hearing about the visual quality being so much better than comparable LCD/Plasma displays. What is it that makes the visual quality from a projector so much better that that of a LCD/Plasma?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-07-2012, 09:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 544
The quality of the image with a projector is not better than what you get with a good TV. What you do get is an image that is almost as good, but at a much larger size. The increased size adds much more to the experience.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #3 of 6 Old 07-08-2012, 03:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Yah, the increase in size sort of feels like an increase in quality even though it may not be when it comes to contrast. One thing I will say though is that projectors do often have some traits better than some TV's. It just depends on what TV vs. what projectors.

For instance:
Many Projectors actually cost less for the quality you get when you get up into the 70"+ screens
Some TV's appear too digital with pixel spacing, so you cannot sit as close, whereas some projectors have precise pixels and less screen door effect (SDE).
Projectors often have better post-calibration results with their color management (well some of them anyhow).
Projectors are more portable, easier to move if you ever need to (TV's can be a major pain to move, especially very large ones)
TV's take up a bit more important usable space in a room whereas a projector you can ceiling or shelf mount out of the way, but a TV is in the front, where a PJ screen is very thin (although some TV's are).
If a problem develops, projectors are much easier to ship back to get warranty service (TV's you usually have to wait for someone to come to your home or take it to an auth repair center)

Against:
TV's handle ambient light better, projectors are best in a dark room
TV's have a much higher contrast when comparing per dollar (although not really if comparing per dollar per screen real estate, since TV's over 70" don't tend to rate that high in contrast)
Projectors require extra cabling and usually some cabling across a distance (attic or under rugs or wall cabling)
Projectors with decent black levels tend to be expensive (JVC or Sony or Epson)
Projectors like dark walls and generally dark furniture in overall dark rooms (although it's not 100% necessary)

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #4 of 6 Old 07-09-2012, 06:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanwelks View Post

I'm considering a projector based system in order to have a larger screen and because I keep hearing about the visual quality being so much better than comparable LCD/Plasma displays. What is it that makes the visual quality from a projector so much better that that of a LCD/Plasma?

Thanks.

as mike pointed out (and coderguy further fleshed out), it's not the "picture quality", it's the size...

i have a "decent pj" in a "decent room"... the "picture quality" can't really touch the pq of my 60" kuro... however, that difference in pq is dwarfed (literally) by the pj screen being almost 4 times larger... bigger IS better.... unless forced to by unforeseen circumstances, i can't ever see myself going back to a "little" tv...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #5 of 6 Old 07-09-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 317
As far as picture quality goes size really does matter. One major reason why LCD/Plasmas may look better has to do with pixel density. When you blow up the image image, if the source is bad, the larger size of the image will show you just how bad it really is. It's unfortunate that if you want a nice looking large image you have to spend quite a lot to get something that is sharp, has great contrast, calibrates well, and puts out enough light to fill the desired screen size.

Another nice quality of projectors is that the majority of them don't give off a digital look as almost all LCDs and Plasma's do. You get that sense of naturalism to the image which is what is supposed to be portrayed when watching film based material.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-09-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanwelks View Post

Thanks.

Projectors can have better images, given a fair comparison. If you had a 60" flat panel and put a good projector on a screen at the same size, and in a dark room, the projector might even do better.

But that really isn't the point...point is a large image, more like a movie theater. No flat panel can give that "all encompassing" feeling you can get from a big screen. So it really depends on what your use is going to be more than anything...

Jason C. Turk
Technical Support, Customer Service, Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
Direct Line: 585-645-1004
Email: jason@avscience.com

Don't forget my nearly 13,000 posts under my old ID!

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page