AVS Forum banner

Projectors at CEDIA Expo 2012

Tags
cedia
46K views 383 replies 82 participants last post by  Holiday121 
#1 ·
I have a request for those planning on attending CEDIA this year - some projector manufacturers, including BenQ and Optoma, do not have their own booth at CEDIA 2012 (and they didn't last year). However, a new projector or two from these manufacturers may show up at someone elses booth. This could be an AV distributor representing several product brands, a screen manufacturer, etc. If any of you hear about any projector manufacturer, without their own booth at the convention center, showing a new home theater model at someone elses booth or at an off-site location, please post that info on this thread.

FYI for those hobbyists wanting to attended CEDIA this year year, the companies with that exhibit at CEDIA are able to offer codes for free guess passes to attend the trade floor at CEDIA.

Just Google: "CEDIA Expo 2012" coupon code -- and somewhere on the first page or two of results you should be able to find the a code that can then be entered near the bottom of the CEDIA resigistration form - HERE (you can register as a non-member).

I hope to see the other AVS Forum members attending CEDIA at an AVS evening event.

Below are some of the projector manufacturers with their own exhibits at the Indianapolis Cenvention Center. Note that some manufacturers typically have exhibits set up off-site in nearby hotels, either in addition to or instead of having booths on the convention center trade floor. I did note that Panasonic is not (yet) listed on the CEDIA web site as having a booth in the convention center this year (perhaps they are doing an off-site exhibit).

Digital Projection, Inc (DPI) - Booth 3454
Epson - booth 4845
JVC - Consumer Products Division- booth 3445
JVC - Professional Products Division - offsite at Marriott (White River Ballroom G)
Mitsubishi - booth 1407
Runco - booth 3531
Sharp - booth 719
Sim2 - booth 3860
Sony - booth 4025
Wolf Cinema - SR15

Below are audio manufactures with offsite locations:

Harmon International (Harmon and JBL products) - Westin Hotel - (1st floor Chamber and Council Conference Rooms)

D+M Group (Denon and Marantz) - Marriott (Michigan, Texas and Utah Conference Rooms)

See less See more
#3 ·
I'll talk to BenQ before I head to the show and find out if there is anything to see there as well.

#4 ·
It appears Panasonic will be releasing the PT-AE8000U to replace the AE7000U in late Sept. Panasonic does not have a booth on the exhibit floor. If anyone hears that Panasonic will be showing their new projector(s) in someone's else's booth (e.g., a distributor or screen manufacturer's booth) or if they will have an off-site location at a nearby hotel, please post the info here.

#6 ·
I will also be at CEDIA Expo 2012. I will be getting on to the show floor late Thursday afternoon, and might try to hit up JVC offsite at Marriott location around 5:30pm on the 6th as well. Then, I plan to spend spend all day on the show floor Friday the 7th.

My primary goal is to upgrade my theater to 3D. I got one of the 1st JVC RS1 projectors during the insanity that was it's launch in early 2007 and have been very happy with it on my 133" Da-lite high power screen in my theater ever since.

But to upgrade to 3D, I initially weighed my options of:

A) buying a 2nd RS1 and doing passive 3D with a silver polarized compatible screen in my theater

-vs-

B) just moving my RS1 to my bedroom mini-theater and getting a BenQ W7000 for 3D in the theater

I'm heavily leaning towards B, and making the theater for blockbusters and 3D and my bedroom my primary movie viewing venue (it seems my bedroom has already become my favored place to watch anyway).

So, I'll be seeing if there is anything better than the BenQ W7000 for 3D at the show floor. In all honesty, I would prefer a passive solution as I don't mind replacing my screen and I'd like to have 8-9 pair of glasses. I also watch all my movies from my HTPC as 1:1 (non transcoded) Bluray rips with MakeMKV so, even going dual projector would be OK if there was minimal - no crosstalk and plenty of brightness.

Back on topic: I will be visiting all of the booths in the OP plus:

projection booths:
Da-Lite screens 4825
Dolby laboratories SR1
Draper screens 5025
Texas Instruments 3221 (usually a nice DLP tech booth)

non-projection:
Earthquake sound 1511
HDBaseT alliance 3326
JL audio 3935
Kaleidescape 3733
Martin Logan SR9
Monoprice 3219
Onkyo 3625
Pioneer Electronics 719
Velodyne 2003
Yamaha 3011

Here is an interactive map of the show floor: (click facility overview and then on the convention center)

I've been to CES a couple times (2008 & 2009) but this will be my first CEDIA. I had a motorcycle accident a few years ago and now use a Segway to get around, so if you see me rolling around the show floor and are interesting in any of the above booths and want to check them out together, cool with me (I should be easy to spot). If anyone here on AVS has anything non-obvious they want me to check out and report back on, post to this thread.

I hope to see some AVS forum guys there!

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglito  /t/1419452/projectors-at-cedia-expo-2012#post_22347616

I will also be at CEDIA Expo 2012. I will be getting on to the show floor late Thursday afternoon, and might try to hit up JVC offsite at Marriott location around 5:30pm on the 6th as well. Then, I plan to spend spend all day on the show floor Friday the 7th.

My primary goal is to upgrade my theater to 3D. I got one of the 1st JVC RS1 projectors during the insanity that was it's launch in early 2007 and have been very happy with it on my 133" Da-lite high power screen in my theater ever since.

But to upgrade to 3D, I initially weighed my options of:

A) buying a 2nd RS1 and doing passive 3D with a silver polarized compatible screen in my theater

-vs-

B) just moving my RS1 to my bedroom mini-theater and getting a BenQ W7000 for 3D in the theater

I'm heavily leaning towards B, and making the theater for blockbusters and 3D and my bedroom my primary movie viewing venue (it seems my bedroom has already become my favored place to watch anyway).

So, I'll be seeing if there is anything better than the BenQ W7000 for 3D at the show floor. In all honesty, I would prefer a passive solution as I don't mind replacing my screen and I'd like to have 8-9 pair of glasses. I also watch all my movies from my HTPC as 1:1 (non transcoded) Bluray rips with MakeMKV so, even going dual projector would be OK if there was minimal - no crosstalk and plenty of brightness.

Back on topic: I will be visiting all of the booths in the OP plus:

projection booths:
Da-Lite screens 4825
Dolby laboratories SR1
Draper screens 5025
Sharp Electronics 719 (not mentioned in OP, update OP and I'll edit this post)
Texas Instruments 3221 (usually a nice DLP tech booth)

non-projection:
Earthquake sound 1511
HDBaseT alliance 3326
JL audio 3935
Kaleidescape 3733
Martin Logan SR9
Monoprice 3219
Onkyo 3625
Pioneer Electronics 719
Velodyne 2003
Yamaha 3011

Here is an interactive map of the show floor: (click facility overview and then on the convention center)

I've been to CES a couple times (2008 & 2009) but this will be my first CEDIA. I had a motorcycle accident a few years ago and now use a Segway to get around, so if you see me rolling around the show floor and are interesting in any of the above booths and want to check them out together, cool with me (I should be easy to spot). If anyone here on AVS has anything non-obvious they want me to check out and report back on, post to this thread.

I hope to see some AVS forum guys there!

Thanks - I updated Post #1 to add Sharp. By the way you might to also stop by the Darbee'Vision booth #712 (near the Sharp booth) if you have not already seen their Darblet video processor in action. There is more info HERE

#8 ·
I'll check the Darblet video processor out, but honestly it seems pretty goofy and I'm more of a purest...but at 94+ pages of AVSforum posts there must be something to it. Thanks for the tip! Edit: after reading more, apparently this thing is really worth looking at. Can't wait!

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK  /t/1419452/projectors-at-cedia-expo-2012/0_50#post_22348184

I'm probably the pickiest purist... And I have a darbee in the chain...

I won't even do an anamorphic lens.

It's nuts hearing all the purists knock the Darblet without even trying it, as inexpensive as it is. Kudo's to you for being one with an open mind.

I've got one on my Sony Black Pearl, and things have never looked better. We're a fussy lot, and if good performance couldn't be wrung out of this thing, there'd have been a mutiny here on the forum.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK  /t/1419452/projectors-at-cedia-expo-2012#post_22348184

I'm probably the pickiest purist... And I have a darbee in the chain...

I won't even do an anamorphic lens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey  /t/1419452/projectors-at-cedia-expo-2012#post_22348757

It's nuts hearing all the purists knock the Darblet without even trying it, as inexpensive as it is. Kudo's to you for being one with an open mind.

I've got one on my Sony Black Pearl, and things have never looked better. We're a fussy lot, and if good performance couldn't be wrung out of this thing, there'd have been a mutiny here on the forum.

So placing a Darbee on a projector increases the sharpness. That is about the same as buying a more expensive projector with a higher quality lens, so how does that interfere with the Directors intent? The Darbee increases the contrast on the projector, that is sorta like buying a higher contrast projector. I agree people should try the product before judging it. My projected image has never looked so good.

#13 ·

Quote:
The Darbee increases the contrast on the projector, that is sorta like buying a higher contrast projector.

It appears to me to increase local contrast, which might interfere with the director's intent. For example, in scenes that are intended to have a soft focus.

To me it looks like local sharpening with large radius, much like the 'Clarity' tool in Adobe Lightroom. This technique has been available to photographers for quite some time, but that certainly doesn't mean it's always used to make images pop. Only if it is the photographer's artistic intent.

I think this is why some people have issues with the Darbee.

*Note: I'm merely stating a reason some may have issues w/ the Darbee, not my personal preference. Personally, I think local contrast enhancement is useful, but only to a certain extent, as it can be overdone. In displays, I'm always looking for more global contrast, as the real world has quite a dynamic range available to the human eye... the higher the native contrast of a display system, the closer we get to simulating reality.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarangiman  /t/1419452/projectors-at-cedia-expo-2012#post_22349536

To me it looks like local sharpening with large radius, much like the 'Clarity' tool in Adobe Lightroom.

Do you guys like have talking points or something? I hear the same things from everyone who's never seen it in action and is on a crusade to rid the world of clearer video. Do you guys who rail on the Darblet calibrate your projectors to 2000:1 or less sequential contrast to match the theater/grading room too? I mean surely a 100,000:1 projector goes against the directors intent too since the theater shows less than 2000:1.

Can we get back to the CEDIA 2012 discussion, and leave the Darbee "debate" to one of the numerous other Darbee-railing threads?

#16 ·
By the way Mits is introducing two new DLP projectors at CEDIA (i.e., HC7900 and HC8000), but I don't how accurate the rumors out of Europe are as to Mits also bringing out two new LCoS (chips sourced from Sony) projectors with one being a 4K model.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones  /t/1419452/projectors-at-cedia-expo-2012#post_22352219

By the way Mits is introducing two new DLP projectors at CEDIA (i.e., HC7900 and HC8000), but I don't how accurate the rumors out of Europe are as to Mits also bringing out two new LCoS (chips sourced from Sony) projectors with one being a 4K model.

Thanks for the heads up. It would be a nice surprise if the HC8000 model had a real lens shift + built in RF sender for the glasses. I'm sure they realized the mistake of choosing those expensive proprietary goggles.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k  /t/1419452/projectors-at-cedia-expo-2012#post_22352544

Thanks for the heads up. It would be a nice surprise if the HC8000 model had a real lens shift + built in RF sender for the glasses. I'm sure they realized the mistake of choosing those expensive proprietary goggles.
The information I have:

Mitsubishi HC8000D
  • 330,000:1 contrast ratio
  • Lamp life up to 5000 hours in low mode
  • Universal 3D glasses and Mitsubishi proprietary glasses

Mitsubishi HC7900DW
  • 150,000:1 contrast ratio
  • 1600 lumens
  • Vertical lens shift
  • Support for universal 3D glasses

#19 ·

SIM2 is said to be showing the M.150:

"During the show, SIM2 is demonstrating the active 3D LED full HD DLP-based Home Cinema projector-the superbly bright M.150, which utilizes the Super Pure LED and active 3D technologies.  The M.150 shares the same video processing electronics as the high-end LUMIS 3D-S 3-chip series, offering the same optimized picture modes for 2D and 3D viewing: PureMovie, PureMotion 2D and PureMotion3D."

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry  /t/1419452/projectors-at-cedia-expo-2012#post_22353301

The information I have:

Mitsubishi HC8000D

If it comes even close to that there may finally be a projector temping enough to make me give up my Planar 8150

If it's a DLP...

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry  /t/1419452/projectors-at-cedia-expo-2012#post_22353301

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k  /t/1419452/projectors-at-cedia-expo-2012#post_22352544

The information I have:

Mitsubishi HC8000D

Mitsubishi HC7900DW
  • 1600 lumens
  • Vertical lens shift

The HC8000 is a SXDR

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry  /t/1419452/projectors-at-cedia-expo-2012/0_60#post_22353301

The information I have:

Mitsubishi HC7900DW
  • 1600 lumens
  • Vertical lens shift
The 7800 used the DC3 with excellent optics and a clear, clear 2D picture. I bought one and had to return it because it was rough, and not ready to be released. Dim 3D and those terrible glasses.

This are issues which no-doubt will be corrected in the 7900.

So welcome news.

Readers are reminded that professional reviewers were overall terrible in missing many anomalies which owners later caught (and were stuck with).

Proceed with caution!

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89  /t/1419452/projectors-at-cedia-expo-2012#post_22353733

If it comes even close to that there may finally be a projector temping enough to make me give up my Planar 8150

If it's a DLP...

The HC8000D and HC7900DW are both reported to be new DLP projectors for CEDIA 2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac  /t/1419452/projectors-at-cedia-expo-2012#post_22353849

The HC8000 is a SXDR

Yes, but this one is listed as the HC8000D.  The "D" suffix being the differentiator perhaps.

The information comes from and announcement from "the CEDIA Daily".  I would expect additional information and an official press release to be made next week unless additional information comes from the IFA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.