Projector with a throw of 27' and a 120-130" CIH screen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-09-2012, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in the process of building out my HT and am cabling right now. Ideally I would like to locate the PJ in the rear soffit (with correct ventilation). This leads me to the concern over projector choice.

What good projectors under 5k exist that will get me this distance and a solid visual experience?

I wont be buying for another 6mths, but am I really limiting miself with this requirement? Should I just bite the bullet and wire for a ceiling mount in addition to the rear soffit?

Really appreciate people's input since this is a really critical time for the design, not to mention drywall is scheduled for 4weeks from now eek.gif

Thanks, Brett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-09-2012, 08:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 516
I am assuming that you are talking 120" to 130" wide scope screen, not diagonal. A JVC RS45 can throw a 120" wide from 27', but even using a Stewart ST130, you are not talking about long lamp life. In a really good room, you might get 300 to 400 hours on the lamp before having to start using high lamp mode. With that setup, I really would look at using Stewart UltraMatte 150. That would give you decent brightness with the 120" wide. At 130" wide with the UltraMatte 150 you are getting the same conditions as the 120" wide with ST130. Shoot us an email if you have any questions.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #3 of 8 Old 07-10-2012, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

I was actually referring to diagonal, I am still having to adapt to CIH speak. My room will be fully light controlled, dark false front wall. The room is 13' x 30' x 9'. I will be needing an acoustic screen due to the nature of the wall and basement layout.

Still feasible? Thank you, Brett
post #4 of 8 Old 07-10-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

130" diagonal 2.35 is 120" wide. So look at the numbers that I have for 120" wide. You are going to be hard pressed to find a projector that can throw a 120" diagonal 2.35 from 27'. Another material that you can look at is the Screen Inovations Solar 4K (1.3 gain). If you have any questions, shoot us an email.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #5 of 8 Old 07-10-2012, 11:42 AM

Liked: 12
May I suggest you go over to http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm and use the search projector by feature to see what projectors will work in your situation. The first problem you have is trying to project at 27 feet on a 120-130" diagonal screen. Most projectors that will work at that distance won't project an image that small, or ones that do can't always use the same distance placement when switching from 16x9 to 2:35. The width of your room is problematic as well trying to shoot 2:35. If you are seated back far enough you could use a 144" wide, 60" high screen. Of course that only leaves you 1/2 foot on either side of the screen, so if you have anything on the sides of the room near the screen that rules that out. Start going smaller width by much and you'll end up being substantially less than the 120-130" diagonal screen size you desire.
Might I suggest also playing around with some numbers in Projector Central's calculator to see what you can come up with in regard to throw distance where the projector can switch for different CIH. As an example the BenQ W6000 will shoot a 16x9 picture 60 inches high at a maximum distance of 21'7". When you change to 2.40 (If you're making your own screen I would go 2.40 and not 2.35) the projector can shoot the same 60 inch high image as far back as 29'1", but 21'7" is still in it's throw range so it could do both at that distance.
At the distance you're wanting to project from you'll need a light cannon, but be prepared to move your PJ forward and have it hanging from the ceiling if you're wanting to stay in your price range. Figure out your image height and distance and go from there. You didn't say you had a preference for DLP, LCD, etc. http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-SP890-projection-calculator-pro.htm
post #6 of 8 Old 07-10-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 29
You will need to move the projector placement forward to stay within your budget range. Either that or go up market to a projector that offers a choice of lenses including longer-throw options such as a 2.6 to 3.9.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-10-2012, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for the great and informative replies. I shall be moving forward to a much more convenient position projector wise.

Thanks again, now time to start wiring!
post #8 of 8 Old 07-11-2012, 01:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

130" diagonal 2.35 is 120" wide. So look at the numbers that I have for 120" wide. You are going to be hard pressed to find a projector that can throw a 120" diagonal 2.35 from 27'. Another material that you can look at is the Screen Inovations Solar 4K (1.3 gain). If you have any questions, shoot us an email.

Posters below are correct. In a hurry and did not even check the 16:9 image. Can't be done with any of the projectors at this price point. Projector has to be moved forward or requires a higher end projector that offers long throw lens.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page