New projector advice: DLP vs LCOS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 07-10-2012, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My Sharp XV-Z9000 (from 2002, yikes!) has reached the end of the road and I'm lookiing for a replacement. I really enjoy the look of the Sharp, but was certainly aware of its limitations (720p and diffficult black level).
I have a completely light controlled environment, with a 106" diagonal screen (1.1 gain screen as I recall).
My main interests are 2D movies with occasional 3D (I do like 3D, when done properly). My budget is 2500-4000.
What are the differences between the DLP and LCOS in terms of image quality. Why would you select one over the other?
I am assuming that considering the age of my previous projector, that virtually any modern projector would easily out perform the old 9000. What about black level performance compared to the 9000?
I am interested in the Sharp XV-Z30000 and the Mitsu hc7800d. What LCOS would be comparable?
This is such a tricky task, as there are so many parameters to consider, that any help would be appreciated.
Thanks everyone.
Anil

Anil
" Too low they build, who build beneath the stars" Edward Young
http://emergentcomplexity.org/Anil_Rao_Scientific_Illustrations/Biology.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-11-2012, 01:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
For 2D movies LCOS is where its at IMO. Contrast/black levels and pixel fill leave the DLPs in the dust! For 3D DLP rules! The Epson LCD 5010/6010 would be a good median for a one projector solution. Personally I would probably go with the JVC RS45 for 2D movies and pick up a Optoma HD33 or Benq W7000 for 3D. Several members use a two projector setup. Since no one projector is good at every thing. The Mitsubishi 9000 is another unit that is said to be all round good for most viewing. These units have dropped considerably since their release and fall well with in your budget.
post #3 of 22 Old 07-11-2012, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
If you are acclimated to the detail and sharpness of DLP, you may be put off by the softer image of LCOS. And because LCOS projectors are somewhat light challenged (especially after a couple hundred hours), they are not the best choice for 3D.
post #4 of 22 Old 07-11-2012, 03:51 PM

Liked: 12
I have not seen or calibrated a W7000. I have calibrated an Optoma HD8300 and it calibrates beautifully. It produces a sharp and correct picture in 2D and the 3D image was one of the best I have ever experienced. I am a big fan of this projector.

ISF Level II Certified Calibrator
CEDIA Member
Serving Central Indiana
www.indyvideocal.com
post #5 of 22 Old 07-11-2012, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Joyseah:
Yes, looking over the board it seems that for movie viewing LCOS appears o be the consensus, with DLP having a better 3D experience. However, deep blacks are an attractive feature.
Pete;
I am attracted to the "look" of DLP. I've seen LCOS several times (at CEDIA herein Denver a couple of years ago) and it looks great also, but the DLP seems sharper to me. I was not aware of the drop in light output of the LCOS; that is independent of the bulb life I assume?
Dvcdude:
THe Optoma looks interesting. I'll have to explore further.

WIth all of the options and parameters that would influence the descision it is easy to descend into "analysis paralysis". TIme to break out a spreadsheet and compile some numbers and fetatures. Fortunately, I don't have to make an immediate desicsion.
Thanks all for your input.
Anil

Anil
post #6 of 22 Old 07-11-2012, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I tried the optima hd8300 and I think it's inline with 3 to 4k pjs, comparable to jvc rs45, epson 6010 etc...

Unless you can spend 10 k or above for a first rate dlp (runco, simm 2) IMO the jvc rs55/x70 has no competition under 10k, that's what I settled on and the image is stunning, along with lots of goodies, e shift, superb build , isf , nearly dead silent operation.

Granted I could care less about 3d but if you do then the 8300 might be a good balance.

If you want reference 2d then the higher end jvcs have it.
post #7 of 22 Old 07-13-2012, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Well, it appears that the Mits HC7800d will not work in my situation; the fact that the projector must be placed considerably above the top of the screen and the relatively limited vertical lens shift knocked it out of contention.
I am left with the following:
BenQ w7000
Mits HC9000D
Optoma hd8300
Sharp XV-Z30000
Any others I should throw in the list?
As I stated before I am partial to DLP but am willing to go LCOS. In practicality, is the sharpness between these two techs that noticeable?
Thanks again.

Anil
post #8 of 22 Old 07-13-2012, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I had a refurbished Optoma hd8300 on the way, and I called it early that it was ONE of the best ones for 3D after calling up dealers, PM'n some calibrators, and reading every single review on it at every site. After me opening up my big mouth, all the refurbs were sold out even though some certain site says in-stock (they aren't). The guy told me they got very popular and sold out...

FYI, I own a JVC but I need the Optoma for 3D.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #9 of 22 Old 07-13-2012, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by anilrao View Post

Well, it appears that the Mits HC7800d will not work in my situation; the fact that the projector must be placed considerably above the top of the screen and the relatively limited vertical lens shift knocked it out of contention.
I am left with the following:
BenQ w7000
Mits HC9000D
Optoma hd8300
Sharp XV-Z30000
Any others I should throw in the list?
As I stated before I am partial to DLP but am willing to go LCOS. In practicality, is the sharpness between these two techs that noticeable?
Thanks again.

Add the Acer H9500BD to the list. Very good 2D and 3D.
post #10 of 22 Old 07-13-2012, 04:38 PM

Liked: 10
I just bought a JVC RS40 (b-stock) despite the apparent bulb issues.......I upgraded from a beloved Panasonic Pt-AE 3000U. I almost was sick to my stomach the difference in picture quality. No calibration, and yet the color and shadow detail stunned me.....Haven't yet tried 3D but we shall see.......
post #11 of 22 Old 07-14-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 166
I would avoid the RS40 if you have an interest in 3D. If it's a rare occasion with 3D content you should be happy with it but if 3D is something you plan on doing often I would avoid JVC for the time being.
post #12 of 22 Old 07-14-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

I would avoid the RS40 if you have an interest in 3D. If it's a rare occasion with 3D content you should be happy with it but if 3D is something you plan on doing often I would avoid JVC for the time being.

At the price of the B-stocks, You could do a two projector set up using an Optoma HD3300 for 3D and the RS40 B-stock for 2D and have the best of both worlds. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #13 of 22 Old 07-15-2012, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your input. This board and its members are invaluable it this process. I think eventually you go with what you're familiar with. I've decided on a Sharp XV-Z30000 and put in an order for it.

I realize that there are not many reviews of this unit, so I may be one of the early ones here.

I picked this projector because of the following:

1) DLP. I am familiar and comfortable with the technology. The reliability of the DMD chips (my ten-year old has no stuck pixels) and the sharpness of the technology is attractive. I am aware that black levels are not up to the best that modern projectors can offer, but considering the I'm coming from a ten year old DLP, I suspect I'll find the newer one acceptable.

2) Placement flexibility. I was planning on the Mits HD7800 but I could not figure out a way of placing it properly. The Sharp has placement options that allow me to place it in virtually the same spot as my current projector.

3) 3D. Although this is not the most important feature for me, it is something I am interested in (90% 2D;10% 3D.) DLP seems to have an edge, in this regard, compared to LCOS. Also, the Sharp is a complete package, as it comes with two pair of glasses and the emitter.

So, it's the Sharp XV-Z30000. It may be a bit of a risk. We shall see.
Thanks again guys; you've been great!

Anil
SiggUA likes this.

Anil
post #14 of 22 Old 07-15-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I, for one, think you'll be happy with this purchase, 10 years of technological change can be impressive. It'll be TONS brighter than your 9000 and still have better blacks and better on/off contrast (ANSI will depend on your room), though the lens probably won't be quite as good the other improvements should trump this pretty easily. Please report back here and let us know what you think about the new 30000.
post #15 of 22 Old 07-15-2012, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

I shall report back after I get it setup and have played with it for a while.
Thanks!

Anil
post #16 of 22 Old 07-16-2012, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Congrats, look forward to your impressions.
post #17 of 22 Old 07-22-2012, 09:25 AM

Has anyone moved from a JVC to a DLP? I have a HD750 with optical block red fringe down left edge and looking at options for replacement. I have calibrated both, but have not watched content in my theater on a DLP. Anyone have any thoughts?

CEDIA Member
Serving Central Indiana
www.indyvideocal.com
post #18 of 22 Old 07-22-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Yes. I moved from a JVC DLA-RS20 (HD750) to a Planar PD8150. The Planar in my opinion was better in almost every part of the over all image quality. Black levels on the RS20 were a little better but not by too much.

The issue you're going to run into is that these nicer DLPs are usually very expensive new. It's unfortunate that to find a DLP with equal or better image quality to the JVC you're going to need to spend the big bucks.
Jeff Regan likes this.
post #19 of 22 Old 07-23-2012, 03:57 AM

Thank you. I like the black levels of my JVC, but the sharpness of the better DLP's and overall image quality is pulling me. The fact that I have a JVC that has what seems to be a frequent problem with the model and the lamp issues on the RS50/55 has me looking more closely at the DLP offerings.

CEDIA Member
Serving Central Indiana
www.indyvideocal.com
post #20 of 22 Old 07-23-2012, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi, yes I moved from a JVC RS1 to a Sharp Z15000 and then to an Infocus IN83. I prefer the sharpness and pop of DLP and find it works better in ambient light. The IN83 was a big improvement over the Z15000 as well, the contrast was close enough to the JVC to make black level not an issue for me. Also the sharpness, color accuracy and brightness of the IN83 were improved.
I have demoed quite a high end DLP models and I think I would need a 3-Chipper to see a noticable difference what I have now.

post #21 of 22 Old 07-30-2012, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Just got it! Unboxing right now, so should have some impressions within the next couple of days.
Anil

Anil
post #22 of 22 Old 07-30-2012, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

OK. I'll be posting impressions in the Sharp XV-Z30000 thread.

Anil
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sharp Xv Z30000 Dlp , Mitsubishi Hc7800d Projector Full Hd 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Optoma Hd33 3d Ready Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page