Need Help Picking A Projector (and a few other questions). - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-11-2012, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Room Dimensions: 17'3" x 28'7" x 8' Tall (will be raising this to at least 9' hopefully 10', the room is above the garage and ceiling will have to follow the roof pitch).
Screen Size: 130" diagonal, 36" off the floor, probably be a Jamestown Budget screen 1.2 gain but open to other options.
1st row will be approx 14' from screen, second row will be approx 20' from screen on a 12" riser, bar counter top with stools directly behind second row seating.
Projector to be mounted from ceiling above the second row.

Ok, so basically I have read threads and threads on projectors on this site and another site and it only seems to add to my indecisiveness. Same with trying to use all the calculater from throw distance to riser height to seating distance. So first question is does my layout listed above work ok? It's not written in stone but I have framers coming out on Friday to raise the ceiling and build the riser and bar.

Do I have the projector mounted in the correct spot? I assume it needs to be out of the vision of the people seated. If I can raise the ceiling height would it make more sense to move the projector closer to the screen, maybe above the first row seats?

And now more importantly the projector. The room will be light controlled with black out curtains and dimmers on the cans, but some light in certain instances would be nice to have when viewing. 50% blu ray, 50% hd tv and sports (football and basketball). It will probably be 95% 2D and 5% on 3D. This will also be my first projector. So the budget for the projector is $5,000 although if quality is vastly suberb at the $10,000 range I might consider upgrading, but I think I read somewhere you really needed to go up to 15 or 20k to get a very noticable quality upgrade and that is completely out of the question. Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-11-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Yes, I would place the projector above the first row of seats, as long as that throw distance worked out. As for projectors, I would look at the RS45, RS45 B-stock (while available), RS40 B-stock (while available), Sony HW30AES and Epson 5010. All of these can be mounted at 14 foot and that will help with the brightness. With an RS45, you are looking at about 18 Foot Lamberts using low lamp best image mode. That is good for that size screen. In 2D best image mode the JVC RS45 has the highest lumen output. The Epson is able to go the brightest, but giving up color accuracy to do so. All of these projectors are under your budget and any of them will blow you away since it is a first projector setup. Noise wise the Sony and JVC's are much quieter in high lamp mode and with a screen that size, you will be spending a fair amount of time in high lamp mode. If you have any specific questions, shoot us an email.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #3 of 4 Old 07-12-2012, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the info, was actually leaning towards the sony or the epson. What is b-stock?
post #4 of 4 Old 07-12-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul999 View Post

Thanks for the info, was actually leaning towards the sony or the epson. What is b-stock?

A B-stock is a projector that was returned to the manufacturer. In this case, JVC. The manufacturer puts the projector back to specifications and sells them at a reduced price. With a B-stock you get a projector with low hours and the same warranty from the manufacturer as a new projector. if you have any more questions, shoot us an email.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw30es 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page