Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-11-2012, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hi guys!

I have just finished moving in to a new flat. (but not completely unpacked my stuff yet)

The room is not a batcave with all black walls and such, on the other hand, it is not the worst case of white wall, white ceiling and light floors. (see attachments)

It is however medium brown warm walls, light sand brown ceiling and beige carpet. (Paint colours actually called Kalahari and Mojave :-) )
The back wall is some kind of hipster wallpaper left by the former tenant, I decided to keep it, as it "breaks up" the room. I guess it could be said that it is a half white half black pattern.

The window currently only has wood blinds, but thick curtains are to follow.

I plan only on watching movies after sunset and with all lights off. Only light in room will be from equipment LEDs' and reflections.

Will I be able to get most black level from the X30 in this room or would I be better of with a DLP like the Optoma HD83 (even the old HD87) or even an Epson TW9000??

My screen is a 92" Da-Lite Cinema Vision (white) 1.3 gain ISF screen fixed frame (from my CRT days...)

IMG_3251.jpg 18k .jpg file IMG_3250.jpg 12k .jpg file IMG_3249.jpg 15k .jpg file IMG_3248.jpg 11k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3251.jpg (18.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3250.jpg (12.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3249.jpg (14.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3248.jpg (10.7 KB, 11 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-11-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
The JVC will still appear to have darker blacks even in an imperfect room over a DLP, the contrast inside the black levels (the whites) will be brighter looking.

You would still do yourself a favor by using curtains, or painting the walls darker if needed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #3 of 7 Old 07-11-2012, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

The JVC will still appear to have darker blacks even in an imperfect room over a DLP, the contrast inside the black levels (the whites) will be brighter looking.
You would still do yourself a favor by using curtains, or painting the walls darker if needed.

But just by how much?

What I am trying to figure out here - is it "worth" going for the JVC in order to get its main benefit: black level - or would be better to go for DLP and get its benefits.

I think I can not make my walls darker and still keep it useful for a normal living room also. But darker curtains could be a choice.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-11-2012, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It is totally worth it. Anyone whos remotely into film or enjoys going to the movies will immediately forgive the small section of your home looking a little gloomier when they see the image it delivers.

You can do something like I did, hang some black velvet curtains (I used two per side about 4 feet wide) that extend on both walls 5-10 feet from the screen and tie them up with gold or silver rope (with tassels on the end!) when not in use. It looks elegant and the only thing you have to worry about is keeping them clean.

I also recommend a dark area rug (I used a contemporary shag) on the floor in front of the screen and if you want to go the extra mile you can add dark ceiling treatments (such as acoustical paneling).

I probably spent less than $300 "treating" my room which after buying a several thousand dollar projector was well worth the effort. The image looks completely different. If I had $3000 kicking around sure id try one of those black diamond screens but on a budget this won hands down.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-11-2012, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post

But just by how much?
What I am trying to figure out here - is it "worth" going for the JVC in order to get its main benefit: black level - or would be better to go for DLP and get its benefits.
I think I can not make my walls darker and still keep it useful for a normal living room also. But darker curtains could be a choice.

My room has light color walls.The color is similar to yours. I moved from an Infocus SP8602, which has very good black levels for a DLP(easily competes with the Optoma 8600 and on par with the Epson 8700 in black levels) to a JVC RS45. The difference will be night and day..really. On the brighter scenes you won't notice it much.
Once you hit those mid evening to darker night scenes of movies, the difference is VERY noticeable. People that say there's little difference. Clearly haven't taken the time to calibrate the projector.
JVCs are quite a few steps ahead in this area. No projector currently on the market can match them at what they do best..
The key is having no Dynamic iris compressing the highlights of high contrast scenes. All DI's do this, some folks don't notice it or not bothered by it. Since moving to a JVC, I can't help but see it now in other projectors that use DI's.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-12-2012, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I love the JVC RS 45 for 2D but the ghosting on 3D has started to bother me. I was wondering if it is worth buying the low priced Acer 5360 as a second projector just for 3D. NewEgg is selling it for $420 for the next two days. The problem is that the 5360 will require extra 3D glasses and If I am correct a convert such as VIP theater. and this all adds to the cost. I have a number of pairs of MV glasses and I know they will not work with the 5360.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-12-2012, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

I love the JVC RS 45 for 2D but the ghosting on 3D has started to bother me. I was wondering if it is worth buying the low priced Acer 5360 as a second projector just for 3D. NewEgg is selling it for $420 for the next two days. The problem is that the 5360 will require extra 3D glasses and If I am correct a convert such as VIP theater. and this all adds to the cost. I have a number of pairs of MV glasses and I know they will not work with the 5360.

Do you also experience flicker on 3D on the RS45?? What screen material are you using?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Optoma Hd8300 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page