Home Theater Projector Setup Sony HW30ES or Epson 6010 plus advise on other Equipment - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-15-2012, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there,

So I recently decided to get a projector setup in my basement, the screen is going to be 144'' and its a 20'X 25' room (wall is 154'' diagonal). That being said I researched for hours regarding what projector I should get and narrowed it down to one projector via coderguy's thread and it was going to be the Sony HW30ES. Since I want a the best picture/movie, 3D and a Gaming projector, I will also use it to watch my HD PVR satellite shows. So I called my Home Theater installer today and he said he doesn't work with the equipment I suggested for my theater it included:

Sony HW30ES 3D Projector
142'' Carada Criterion Screen 1.78 to 1
Pioneer VSX-1022K AV Reciever
7.1 Intimus 4T Hybrid SD sound system

The only thing apparently he works with is the pioneer receiver. That being said he suggested the Epson 6010 I tried to compare both projectors but there's not really much information about this topic on this forum not that I've seen anyways. My budget is within $10,000. I'm not an expert on what equipment to choose and this is going to be my very first home theater setup. I do know that you guys are very educated on this topic so I come to you for advise. If you were me which projector would you go with and and also what you may change on the equipment I have listed. Also I'm not sure about the audio setup I just chose one based on what I thought would sound good I have no experience with them either so please let me know what you guys think. I have attached pictures of my basement for your reference.

I'm also open to suggestions if you guys can build me a setup that can work with for my viewing needs that'll be great.

Thank you so much in advance for your help on this as I'm truly a newb when it comes to this stuff wink.gif

-Karthic

Hall 2548k .JPG file

Screen Wall 2546k .JPG file

Side View 2515k .JPG file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1303.JPG (2.49 MB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1305.JPG (2.49 MB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1304.JPG (2.46 MB, 15 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-16-2012, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Just my opinion, but...

144"-ish is just too big. I'm assuming you meant diag 16:9

Don't think any gain on that Carada screen is going to help. Carada screens are a good value, and are high quality, but in my experience it's pretty much a 1.0 gain regardless of what they publish.

@ 900 lumens, you would get < 14 ftL when the bulb is new.

While that might be ok for movie watching, assuming you are not a brightness freak, i think it's a non-starter for anything 3D. But I wouldn't consider it ok given you will lose some brightness over time.

To resolve, you either need a high gain screen (and the projector placement constrains that result) or a smaller screen.

Just my opinion...
post #3 of 6 Old 07-24-2012, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
i have the hw30 and a 133" hi power 2.4 screen and have no complaints.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-24-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMyers View Post

Just my opinion, but...
144"-ish is just too big. I'm assuming you meant diag 16:9
Don't think any gain on that Carada screen is going to help. Carada screens are a good value, and are high quality, but in my experience it's pretty much a 1.0 gain regardless of what they publish.
@ 900 lumens, you would get < 14 ftL when the bulb is new.
While that might be ok for movie watching, assuming you are not a brightness freak, i think it's a non-starter for anything 3D. But I wouldn't consider it ok given you will lose some brightness over time.
To resolve, you either need a high gain screen (and the projector placement constrains that result) or a smaller screen.
Just my opinion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetrash66 View Post

i have the hw30 and a 133" hi power 2.4 screen and have no complaints.

Good advice to the poster. If the OPer wants a screen that size, then the High Power is the way to go, but the High Power requires specific mounting requirements to get this gain. As for projector, I would stick with the Sony, because of its gaming mode and low lag time. if you have any questions, shoot us an email.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #5 of 6 Old 07-24-2012, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Karthic, will your installer even work with you if you decide to get your own selection of gear? Not sure if your installer is CEDIA but if yes, my experience is that they will generally only work with brands they carry as part of their business model.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-24-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by karthic View Post

Hi there,
So I recently decided to get a projector setup in my basement, the screen is going to be 144'' and its a 20'X 25' room (wall is 154'' diagonal). That being said I researched for hours regarding what projector I should get and narrowed it down to one projector via coderguy's thread and it was going to be the Sony HW30ES. Since I want a the best picture/movie, 3D and a Gaming projector, I will also use it to watch my HD PVR satellite shows. So I called my Home Theater installer today and he said he doesn't work with the equipment I suggested for my theater it included:
Sony HW30ES 3D Projector
142'' Carada Criterion Screen 1.78 to 1
Pioneer VSX-1022K AV Reciever
7.1 Intimus 4T Hybrid SD sound system
The only thing apparently he works with is the pioneer receiver. That being said he suggested the Epson 6010 I tried to compare both projectors but there's not really much information about this topic on this forum not that I've seen anyways. My budget is within $10,000. I'm not an expert on what equipment to choose and this is going to be my very first home theater setup. I do know that you guys are very educated on this topic so I come to you for advise. If you were me which projector would you go with and and also what you may change on the equipment I have listed. Also I'm not sure about the audio setup I just chose one based on what I thought would sound good I have no experience with them either so please let me know what you guys think. I have attached pictures of my basement for your reference.
I'm also open to suggestions if you guys can build me a setup that can work with for my viewing needs that'll be great.
Thank you so much in advance for your help on this as I'm truly a newb when it comes to this stuff wink.gif
-Karthic
Hall 2548k .JPG file
Screen Wall 2546k .JPG file
Side View 2515k .JPG file

Where are you located?

Jason C. Turk
Technical Support, Customer Service, Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
Direct Line: 585-645-1004
Email: jason@avscience.com

Don't forget my nearly 13,000 posts under my old ID!

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw30es 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 Projector
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page