Sony VPL-VW95ES vs JVC DLA-X70R - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-16-2012, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Trying to decide which is better. Both have great specs. I've read multiple reviews for both and it seems to be a tie. According to the reviews the JVC is a bit brighter and has better blacks. Sony has truer color and handles 3D better. Any advice or help would be appreciated. I plan to use a Black Diamond screen 1.4 gain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-16-2012, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk1000 View Post

Trying to decide which is better. Both have great specs. I've read multiple reviews for both and it seems to be a tie. According to the reviews the JVC is a bit brighter and has better blacks. Sony has truer color and handles 3D better. Any advice or help would be appreciated. I plan to use a Black Diamond screen 1.4 gain.

Well, I'll be the first to let you know that this won't be an easy decision. It really depends on your viewing preferences. If you watch mostly 2D bluray, think of 3D as a bonus and just for fun, and are a casual sports fan then the JVC x70 is your best choice. The jvc has the best black levels and contrast, excellent color, and an overall wonderful film-like image that no projector under 10k can match for 2D IMO. The colors are great on both projectors and are a tie IMO. If you like great 2D performance, love 3D, are a sports maniac, and hardcore gamer then the Sony vw95 is your best pick. The Sony makes excellent 2D and most people would love it however, it still cannot match the JVC for blacks, contrast, and that film-like image. The Sony has great 3D and is better than the jvc, and it is also better for sports than the jvc because the image is more dynamic and "pops" , which is perfect for sports. The lag response time is better on the Sony which means it is more ideal for a gamer. The JVC is fine for casual gamers though. You can think of the Sony picture as a huge plasma HDTV and the JVC picture as the closet to true film.

So if you want the best all around projector get the Sony. If you want a projector that is the best for 2D movies and very good at other things get the JVC. I personally am just a film buff so my choice would be the JVC, but that's me. Hope this helps. Do more research if you are still unsure.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-17-2012, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Those were indeed very nice explanations! smile.gif

[]s,
Fernando
post #4 of 8 Old 07-18-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:

Why a Black Diamond? It is a great screen for certain applications for sure, but I am curious if those apply in your case, thus why I ask. I know a lot of dealers push them for the heck of it (and we do sell them as well), and it may be the perfect screen for you, but that is what I am curious about, to make sure you would benefit, especially since they are pricey.

Jason C. Turk
Technical Support, Customer Service, Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
Direct Line: 585-645-1004
Email: jason@avscience.com

Don't forget my nearly 13,000 posts under my old ID!

post #5 of 8 Old 07-18-2012, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

The main reason for the BD screen is that my wife will want to watch normal TV in that room with the lights on. Also, for sporting events we'll want to watch with the lights on. If there's a better option I'm all ears, but it's worth the extra $$s for the flexibility of watching with the lights on.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-15-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:

Hi there, I have a similar dilemma - which projector have you decided for?

Cheers.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-17-2013, 01:26 PM

I'm also trying to make a decision between the two. Sk1000 did you end up making a decision?
post #8 of 8 Old 01-18-2013, 07:49 AM

Is the motion blur better on the x70 than on previous models? I have RS60 and it made me literally sick when I try to play FPS games on it. It was the same with RS35 before and never happened with Sony vw50 before that.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector , Jvc Dla X70 Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page