RS20 + A-Lens or RS45? Or other? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-18-2012, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have about $2500 to spend and am looking at either getting a used RS20 plus a used anamorphic lens or getting an RS45. I have read about the motion issues on the RS20, but I'm not sure that I'll really care (I haven't seen any compelling evidence that suggests this is something a non-videophile would notice) about that. If you had the option, and could get either combination for about $2500, which would you take and why?

Here is my room specs:
Light controlled garage
120" 2.35:1 screen (about 96" 16:9 if I recall), currently white but could be painted grey
Room dimensions are 20ft^3, so not really any restrictions on the placement

Another option is the RS10, and save about $500, which I could use to buy a spare bulb or another cheapo mega bright projector for sports watching and gaming. I also don't need the CMS on the RS20 since I'll be using an HTPC which has a graphics card to do the CMS.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-19-2012, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone? I don't want this thread to get lost in the abyss of the next pages...

post #3 of 9 Old 07-19-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 229
I have the RS10 and zoom to a 10' wide scope screen or drop my electric screen down 5" and it is a 116" 1.85 screen with side masking. My room has zero reflections as there is fabric everywhere. When I built the room I had every intention of adding an A-lens later, but after years of use I just don't see the need. The native contrast of the RS10 is fine for me and, if I were in your shoes, would spend on the best pj without the A-lens. If, after use, you see something lacking in your scope movies ,compared to 1.85, then you can add the lens down the road.

At your budget I would compare the Mitsubishi to the RS45. Not as good of blacks but better motion handling as it uses Sony panels. A few bucks more though...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-19-2012, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

I did some more thinking about an A-lens and my only reason for wanting one was to get full 1080p. Then i realized that I've never watched that at home before (my current 16:9 plasma only displays 810px with letterbox, or on any other pj either) so I doubt I need the a-lens. I was looking at the mitsubishi as well. I don't want to regret not having the deepest blacks around, though. It seems the Epson 5010's are starting to push the $2400 price range so perhaps I'll add that to the list.

post #5 of 9 Old 07-19-2012, 06:42 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Just a suggestion, but if you plan on not getting the A-lens and doing the zoom method instead, motorized controls make this MUCH easier and MUCH less annoying. I went from a RS1 with a manual lens to a RS40 (now RS45) with a motorized lens with my 2.35 screen and the motorized controls make all the difference. I would not even consider a single projector setup without motorized controls now. I would be willing to give this up if I had to for a 3d only unit, but until I get a 2 projector setup, A motorized lens is a MUST for doing the zoom method IMO. Even when I do get a 2nd 3d only projector, my primary 2d unit still must have motorized controls.

Just something to think about when considering your projector options knowing you have a CIH screen.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #6 of 9 Old 07-19-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosteh View Post

I did some more thinking about an A-lens and my only reason for wanting one was to get full 1080p. Then i realized that I've never watched that at home before (my current 16:9 plasma only displays 810px with letterbox, or on any other pj either) so I doubt I need the a-lens. I was looking at the mitsubishi as well. I don't want to regret not having the deepest blacks around, though. It seems the Epson 5010's are starting to push the $2400 price range so perhaps I'll add that to the list.

I will go for a RS45 for $2400
post #7 of 9 Old 07-20-2012, 05:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

I will go for a RS45 for $2400

You might want to check out pricing on some of the JVC B-stocks.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-20-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I had an RS20 up for sale for several weeks, but got tired of folks trying to low ball me, so I stopped trying to sell it. It's now collecting dust waiting for a new home. I have also been wanting to move from a Prismasonic FE1400 lens (essentially the 5000, but silver) to their newest lens, but didn't want to be stuck with a used lens like I am with this damn projector. If you are interested, shoot me a PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-20-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosteh View Post

I saw the 6010 and the RS45 at the same time at a ht shop and had them play the same disk content and was a marked difference between the two - for me. And, like Toe says, if you are going to zoom, powered controls make it a lot more convenient. I have the zoom and focus controls hot keyed into my Harmony RF and is a snap to stand at the screen to make exact changes to focus and not worry about connecting with the pj. The new pj's with their lens mem would make this even easier. BUT if you are into 3d the 6010/5010 sounds like a very good performer. I would contact avs to see what b-stock deals they have as well.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page