OFFICIAL THREAD SONY VPL-HW50ES new SXRD Projector IFA BERLIN 2012 - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 302 Old 10-21-2012, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for sharing. I will buy one for my SONY HW50 since I am very sensitive to high frequency noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 302 Old 10-21-2012, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow39 View Post

When comparing the two, you can definitely see a difference in black levels, it's not huge but you can see that it's better than the HW30.

I'm assuming this is because the native contrast is better and not just additional iris tricks? A great test would be to turn of auto iris, match let's say 90 ire brightness, and then compare 0 ire. Hopefully the static black of the HW50 is still noticeably better smile.gif.
post #273 of 302 Old 10-21-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaseuser View Post

I'm assuming this is because the native contrast is better and not just additional iris tricks? A great test would be to turn of auto iris, match let's say 90 ire brightness, and then compare 0 ire. Hopefully the static black of the HW50 is still noticeably better smile.gif.

I watched the first 10 minutes of Underworld Evolution on the HW50 last night, the iris can't do much in these scenes. On my 2.8HP screen, the black floor is definitely improved over the HW30. It's not day/night, but a noticeable improvement and closer in appearance to the Epson 5010 now (which is a good thing). No one is going to mistake it for the JVC RS55 @ -13 on the iris, but overall, a nice welcome improvement over the HW30.

With the RC processing turned off, the HW50 'natural' sharpness appears very similar to the HW30. With it turned in (and resolution set to minimum), it has a great overall effect of increasing the perceived sharpness of the image. It's also noticeably brighter than the HW30 in 2D and 3D.

After ~6 hours of first impressions last night, I think it's a nice upgrade to the HW30. They took a solid overall projector and added some great features at the same price point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #274 of 302 Old 10-21-2012, 09:37 AM

Liked: 11
Guys here is the sound of the HW50 buzzing...

I will say given how load the fans are in the recording this noise is probably a bit exaggerated, although if using the emitter eliminates it I may go that route.

It is strange to thing the that the emitter is doing this and quite possibly is a defect.

Here is the link:
http://soundcloud.com/tj-demonte/hw50-buzzing
post #275 of 302 Old 10-21-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just wanted to report a quick fix if you have the buzzing sound when in 3D mode on the HW50, I have found the source of the buzz and its coming from the integrated 3D sensor on the projector. Since I have the HW30 as well here is a quick fix, take the external sensor that comes with the HW30 and plug it into the HW50 and that seems to bypass the sensor on the HW50 and eliminates the buzzing. It's a band aid approach but does show a faulty sensor is the problem on the HW50. I have recorded the noise but not sure how to attach it to the post so if someone could let me know I can add that as well. I can also now report this to Sony and hopefully they can find a fix a lot quicker so I hope this helps everyone who has a HW50.

Does the internal sensor still work when you have the external sensor plugged in?

post #276 of 302 Old 10-21-2012, 10:19 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehotaone View Post

Guys here is the sound of the HW50 buzzing...
I will say given how load the fans are in the recording this noise is probably a bit exaggerated, although if using the emitter eliminates it I may go that route.
It is strange to thing the that the emitter is doing this and quite possibly is a defect.
Here is the link:
http://soundcloud.com/tj-demonte/hw50-buzzing
Nasty sound with odd harmonics. Not only high frequency.
Sony must fix before i consider buying.

Thanks go to all the beta testers. biggrin.gif
post #277 of 302 Old 10-21-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Does the internal sensor still work when you have the external sensor plugged in?

I think when I plugged the external sensor in the internal was not active but I will have to double check to make sure Jason. It was weird because when I even pushed the cat5 end into the projector even just half way the buzzing sound stopped instantly.
post #278 of 302 Old 10-21-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Yes that's the sensor, TMR PJ1 3D emitter, I was working with very little sleep so forgot to say the model number so thanks for adding the link and all, I also recorded the buzzing on my iPhone 5 and sent it to tehotaone and he says he will provide a link so anyone can hear it.
Perhaps if the internal sensor stays on, Sony can send us a little dongle to plug into the port that eliminates the sound. Better yet, they should fix it at the factory or through a Firmware update. (Do these things even have user upgrade-able firmwares?) Guess its a good thing my room is not finished and I told Mike to hold off on shipping my pre-order.

Visit the

2.0 done and finally posted! - 

And now...
post #279 of 302 Old 10-21-2012, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

it took me a minute to find the sensor when I first unpacked the HW50.

The IR seem's powerful, I can go pretty far without losing sync.

rc1-22.jpg

post #280 of 302 Old 10-21-2012, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I'll let you guys know if I hear it on this particular HW50.
How noticeable is it from a few feet away?

Well hopefully your doesn't have this problem, it sucks cause convergence is excellent as well as focus across the whole screen is great too. Call me crazy but I'm a little disappointed in the brightness as it doesn't seem much brighter than my HW30 and I'm using a 1.7 gain screen.

As far as the buzzing sound you can detect it from over 10 feet away so it's something that shouldn't be there.

Pretty much what most pre-release 'buzz' amounts to... Expectations become too much. It just shows that the 30 was still a capable unit. A lot of the chatter about the much improved design is coming from those are directly involved in the sales of the units. That doesn't mean I think the HW50 is a bad unit. If you recently purchased a HW30 like I did within the last year, I would caution against upgrading so soon unless you can sell the 30 for a decent price. I just watched Madagascar 3 - 3D yesterday with my boys and I have to say in my dedicated theater room it was better than the 3D presentation we saw over the summer at the local megaplex.

post #281 of 302 Old 10-22-2012, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I watched the first 10 minutes of Underworld Evolution on the HW50 last night, the iris can't do much in these scenes. On my 2.8HP screen, the black floor is definitely improved over the HW30. It's not day/night, but a noticeable improvement and closer in appearance to the Epson 5010 now (which is a good thing). No one is going to mistake it for the JVC RS55 @ -13 on the iris, but overall, a nice welcome improvement over the HW30.
With the RC processing turned off, the HW50 'natural' sharpness appears very similar to the HW30. With it turned in (and resolution set to minimum), it has a great overall effect of increasing the perceived sharpness of the image. It's also noticeably brighter than the HW30 in 2D and 3D.
After ~6 hours of first impressions last night, I think it's a nice upgrade to the HW30. They took a solid overall projector and added some great features at the same price point.

Thanks for the impressions.

One more question....does RC (reality creation I'm assuming) have anything to do with frame interpolation/soap opera/etc.., or is it strictly for perceived resolution? And, in this mode, does input lag take a hit? I'm a big gamer, and the short while I had the HW30, the input lag was very good/low. I'm thinking about the HW50 now. The black level of the 30 was just about the only thing I wasn't impressed with. Once again, this is without engaging the iris - that's just how I roll biggrin.gif.
post #282 of 302 Old 10-22-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaseuser View Post

Thanks for the impressions.

One more question....does RC (reality creation I'm assuming) have anything to do with frame interpolation/soap opera/etc.., or is it strictly for perceived resolution? And, in this mode, does input lag take a hit? I'm a big gamer, and the short while I had the HW30, the input lag was very good/low. I'm thinking about the HW50 now. The black level of the 30 was just about the only thing I wasn't impressed with. Once again, this is without engaging the iris - that's just how I roll biggrin.gif.

from what I can tell, it's only for increasing the sharpness and doesn't seem related to the CFI. It's a good question though. When I get my PC that I use for lag testing setup (analog CRT monitor, etc), I'll try all the various new modes to see if it has any impact to the lag time. It will take me a few days to get this setup since I have a bunch of other tests I'm currently working on.

post #283 of 302 Old 10-22-2012, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

from what I can tell, it's only for increasing the sharpness and doesn't seem related to the CFI. It's a good question though. When I get my PC that I use for lag testing setup (analog CRT monitor, etc), I'll try all the various new modes to see if it has any impact to the lag time. It will take me a few days to get this setup since I have a bunch of other tests I'm currently working on.

Great idea! Looking forward to the results!
post #284 of 302 Old 10-22-2012, 04:09 PM

I jumped up two support levels at Sony and they acknowledged the buzz and are working on it. Not sure I believe it but they think they can fix it with a firmware update. I'm going to give them a week and then call back.
post #285 of 302 Old 10-22-2012, 04:56 PM

Can a firmware update be done by the owner or does the HW50 need to be returned to Sony or to a service center for the update?
post #286 of 302 Old 10-22-2012, 05:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 402
I posted this earlier today in the other two Sony threads:

Okay, here is the scoop on the buzzing. The noise is caused by the vibrating of two capacitors. There are two solutions. You can reduce the IR output strength in the service mode or use an external IR emitter. Sony will furnish an external IR emitter to those that have this issue once Sony verifies the serial number on your projector. Not all units will have this problem and that is why Sony will need to verify the serial number. Customers that have purchased from us that have this issue, please get in touch with us.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #287 of 302 Old 10-22-2012, 06:14 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post

Pretty much what most pre-release 'buzz' amounts to... Expectations become too much. It just shows that the 30 was still a capable unit. A lot of the chatter about the much improved design is coming from those are directly involved in the sales of the units. That doesn't mean I think the HW50 is a bad unit. If you recently purchased a HW30 like I did within the last year, I would caution against upgrading so soon unless you can sell the 30 for a decent price. I just watched Madagascar 3 - 3D yesterday with my boys and I have to say in my dedicated theater room it was better than the 3D presentation we saw over the summer at the local megaplex.
The audible buzz should easily be able to be fixed, so its only a short-term issue - give it a month or month or two.

Always count on last years owners to rationalize away the improvements of the new model. The larger the improvements the more the angst.
The key lesson here is the sales "chatter" is always present here and every other forum. No one is obliged to reveal their true motivation or role. The reader must be able to decipher what is really be posted and why.

Its better to reflect on whose chatter did you listen to that made you buy the 30ES? I went and viewed the 30ES four times at Magnolia and was never impressed. I reported such each time. Seldom is thanks given for being objective. However when that one-out-of-a-thousand posts does appear, i do thank them!
The best rather humorous rule i've noticed is the more a person is "thanked", the less you should pay attention to them.
Thanks for posting! wink.gif
post #288 of 302 Old 10-22-2012, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I was never very impressed with Magnolias demo room. Again I don't think HW50 is a huge step above the 30. You are basically getting a HW30 that is running the bulb at a higher wattage most likely and the RC feature.

Enjoy the 'buzz' on your new projector tongue.gif

post #289 of 302 Old 10-23-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Okay, here is the scoop on the buzzing. The noise is caused by the vibrating of two capacitors. There are two solutions. You can reduce the IR output strength in the service mode or use an external IR emitter. Sony will furnish an external IR emitter to those that have this issue once Sony verifies the serial number on your projector. Not all units will have this problem and that is why Sony will need to verify the serial number. Customers that have purchased from us that have this issue, please get in touch with us.

Where does the external emitter go? Can I plug it into the back and then sit it on the top (bottom actually since the unit is on my ceiling upside down)? Or does it have to be cabled to the front of the room?

thanks!
post #290 of 302 Old 10-23-2012, 06:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm1212 View Post

Where does the external emitter go? Can I plug it into the back and then sit it on the top (bottom actually since the unit is on my ceiling upside down)? Or does it have to be cabled to the front of the room?
thanks!
Yes, it plugs into the back and you can place it on the projector.

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #291 of 302 Old 10-23-2012, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Nice to hear Sony stepping up and providing customers with the external emitter.

Visit the

And now...
post #292 of 302 Old 10-26-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I was never very impressed with Magnolias demo room. Again I don't think HW50 is a huge step above the 30. You are basically getting a HW30 that is running the bulb at a higher wattage most likely and the RC feature.

The HW30 was a solid projector. There were basically three complaints against the HW30, sharpness, contrast and brightness. The brightness complaint was mostly in 3D. Sony addressed all three of these issues and made good improvements in all three of those areas. In other words they took a solid well rounded projector and made it better. I don't know about a huge step, but certainly nice step up. smile.gif

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

post #293 of 302 Old 10-26-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:

The HS50 is a lot more dynamic than the 30, anamorphic support, Motionflow and RC in 3d, and a lot brighter, which makes 3d amazing... I don't see major ghosting anywhere. Add all that up....plus a free lamp..... for only a few hundred more than what you bought your 30 for.

Enjoy your 30 it is a great machine, but please stop trying to compare the two, because there have been significant changes that have made all of the best reviewers take notice and say so, some have purchased a unit.

I have a good buzz from the PJ, and Sony will take care of any issues. Sony support has been excellent.
post #294 of 302 Old 11-06-2012, 12:49 PM

FWIW I received an external emitter from Sony last night. Have not tried it yet. They sent it no charge in response to my complaint about the buzz.

Unrelated note that might save some of you trouble: I found that this projector is not compatible with Monoprice's Redmere cables. These cables have an active component that improves the transmission signal. They rely on devices really conforming exactly to the HDMI spec. I think Sony got something wrong here because Redmere has really been careful with this standard but you never know. The PJ hangs unresponsive when you switch to an input with this cable on there. As soon as I pull the cable out it starts responding again. I tried two cables and neither worked with 4 different sources but those cables worked fine with another HDTV in my house.

steve
post #295 of 302 Old 11-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Anyone received their extra lamp? I haven't. I did receive the external emitter though.

Any update from Sony on an actual fix for the buzz in the projector itself?
post #296 of 302 Old 11-16-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarangiman View Post

Any update from Sony on an actual fix for the buzz in the projector itself?
Curious on this myself as my order shipped from the 2nd batch that went to AVS. Should be here on Monday, but won't be able to hook it up until Turkey day perhaps.

Visit the

And now...
post #297 of 302 Old 11-16-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post

Curious on this myself as my order shipped from the 2nd batch that went to AVS. Should be here on Monday, but won't be able to hook it up until Turkey day perhaps.

According to Sony the buzz affected the first 200 units. But I've heard from people with unit numbers over 600 and the buzz is still there. Sony also denies the buzz on units with numbers over 200, and wont ship external emitter either, at least in Norway. I'll most likely be getting mine tomorrow, and I'll check out the buzz on mine.
post #298 of 302 Old 11-19-2012, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm1212 View Post

FWIW I received an external emitter from Sony last night. Have not tried it yet. They sent it no charge in response to my complaint about the buzz.
Unrelated note that might save some of you trouble: I found that this projector is not compatible with Monoprice's Redmere cables. These cables have an active component that improves the transmission signal. They rely on devices really conforming exactly to the HDMI spec. I think Sony got something wrong here because Redmere has really been careful with this standard but you never know. The PJ hangs unresponsive when you switch to an input with this cable on there. As soon as I pull the cable out it starts responding again. I tried two cables and neither worked with 4 different sources but those cables worked fine with another HDTV in my house.
steve

I was about to buy the Monoprice redmere cables. Someone also mentioned in Monoprice's review section that they had trouble:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10255&cs_id=1025503&p_id=9430&seq=1&format=4#feedback

Was that you who posted that, or someone else?

What cable did you wind up getting (and what length) for your Sony?

I need a 30' HDMI cable. From what I understand, 30' is more than sufficient to handle the current consumer formats (1080p/60, 3D, etc.), but I was hoping to get a redmere cable so if and when 4K becomes prevalent in the future, I won't have to worry about snaking new cables through my ceiling & wall.

So, if redmere doesn't work, I'm thinking of getting a Monoprice 22AWG 30' cable. Those cables are pretty thick though (0.45" or so), so it won't be fun snaking the cables (and I would need port savers). I suppose I can also run 2 CAT6 cables for potential future use (snaking those would be trivial compared to the thick HDMI cable).
post #299 of 302 Old 11-19-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^
I bought a 25' and 50' Blue Rigger cable from Amazon. The 25' worked great for my Cablebox to TV that I ran through the wall and connected with a wall-plate. I tested the 50' with the same setup and it worked fine too, but my PJ doesn't arrive until tomorrow, so I don't actually know if it works with that and my receiver yet. However, the Blue Rigger cable gets great reviews on Amazon and is relatively cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-HDMI-Cable-feet-Installation/dp/B005LJQM3Y/ref=pd_sim_e_1

Visit the

And now...
post #300 of 302 Old 12-24-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randman View Post

I was about to buy the Monoprice redmere cables. Someone also mentioned in Monoprice's review section that they had trouble:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10255&cs_id=1025503&p_id=9430&seq=1&format=4#feedback
Was that you who posted that, or someone else?
What cable did you wind up getting (and what length) for your Sony?
I need a 30' HDMI cable. From what I understand, 30' is more than sufficient to handle the current consumer formats (1080p/60, 3D, etc.), but I was hoping to get a redmere cable so if and when 4K becomes prevalent in the future, I won't have to worry about snaking new cables through my ceiling & wall.
So, if redmere doesn't work, I'm thinking of getting a Monoprice 22AWG 30' cable. Those cables are pretty thick though (0.45" or so), so it won't be fun snaking the cables (and I would need port savers). I suppose I can also run 2 CAT6 cables for potential future use (snaking those would be trivial compared to the thick HDMI cable).

Sorry for the late response. Yes that was probably me on the monoprice review. I ended up getting this cable for less than half the price and it works great.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006LOFCQ6/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1356397362&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

Gave me a crazy delivery estimate after I ordered it of like 5 weeks but I got it in about 6 days. Seems very well made.

Steve
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page