Replace bulb on Sony VW50 Pearl or Upgrade to JVC RS40/45 (B stock) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-28-2012, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I know a silly question - but still exists. Change the bulb and wait a year or two to change the projector, or buy a bstock JVC 40/45. I have been out of the projector market/trends for awhile and hence need some candid advice.

My environment/habits
- dedicated HT room with a Carada 96" 16x9 screen (may consider going anamorphic if get the JVC - but not vital)
- strictly TV or Movies/Concerts - 2D
- don't think 3D is important to me at this point (can wait)
- just hooked up an xbox / Kinect in the HT room but not a huge gamer

Looking at the specs the decision would seem easy - upgrade to the JVC. The Sony has a contrast ratio of 1:15000 vs. 50000 for the JVC.

The quandary is I wonder have things really improved that much in 5 years that we have a 3x increase in contrast ratios and it is truly that much more wonderful with the JVC or is it just a different measurement scale used by 2 different manufacturers. Again far from a projector / light expert.

What is holding me back is also a year ago remember watching a concert on the JVC and remember close ups of the rapid hand strumming a guitar seemed to have a fair bit of motion blurring - something never experienced on the old faithful Pearl (though it may be time to retire the beast). When I did look at the JVC awhile ago - I had also did a quick A/B of a baby $5K Runco and found the picture more natural/brighter (2d) in the Runco but am not willing to pay $5K right now.

Thoughts ?

Tarun

Tarun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-28-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Tarun,

I had the Black Peral VW60, not the VW50 and most of the lower JVC lines, from RS1 to RS20. I've the chance to upgrade to a RS40B this week but decided not to.

Yes, there is motion blue but that is not critical to me; neither is 3D. What is important to me is contrast and black level, especially in viewing Sci-fi or dark movies. Though the Sony is very competent and has very natural colors, but the lack of dynamic iris in the JVC really separates it from the crowd.

I'm considering getting the Darbee digital video processor to improve sharpness and contrast further. You may want to get in line to order one for $269 from this forum, a cheaper alternative.

The RS40B will overwhelm you in terms of brightness and contrast, if you do go for it. One more thing in Sony's favor, the JVC lamp is usually good for 2,000 hours and is just as expensive as the Sony.

GL.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-28-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
That's funny I go through this every year, I thought most people with this dilemma have already moved on passed the VW50. If that Darbee is for real I might have the Pearl a while longer
post #4 of 12 Old 07-29-2012, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
So what have you done. I am so on the fence....3D is minor for me - but contrast, black, brightness and blur (or lack of) are important but dont quite understand the stated 1:15000 contrast ratio for the Sony vs. the 1:50000 for the JVC - do not know if this is just different measurement methods or is the JVC truly that much better.

Tarun
post #5 of 12 Old 07-29-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Tarun,

Sony and Epson' contrast due to dynamic iris tend to be an embellishment, so one cannot compare these two with JVC.

I had all 3 and JVC wins in terms of contrast and black over the Sony. Epson wins on brightness and motion blue. The Sony is in the middle.

JVC is the Olympic champ among these 3 in crt-black. It has the 3D or depth look.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-29-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

img,

It's an improvement, but do not know how much. Folks in the $20k forum who use Lumagen Radiance still add this gadget for the extra. At $269, it's amazing for minor upgrade, IMO.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-29-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Well I went from a Sony Pearl to the RS45 this year and I will tell you it does everything better than the Sony accept the motion blur. But for most content you do not notice it. And the contrast #'s are not exaggerated they are without iris so it is FAR better than the Sony could dream of. And for what its worth the 3d is pretty damn good. I love mine just wish they could do away with the motion blur it would be the best projector I have seen under $20k. Whether its worth it to you is a whole nother story.

www.NastyPerformance.com

10,000 Watts, custom built speakers, 10' CIH screen = Holy Crap
post #8 of 12 Old 07-29-2012, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
post #9 of 12 Old 10-05-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My kids are the biggest users of my VPL-HW15, I wonder if the motion blur with the JVC's will be a big issue with their XBOX?

The Sony is perfect for gaming in my house, and no issues with the bulb either in performance or price.

I'd love to upgrade as well, I was looking at a used RS40 for around $2k with 800hrs on the bulb. But it seems pretty expensive, as I'd need a new bulb soon as well.
post #10 of 12 Old 10-05-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I also had the HW15 but could not tell much difference in contrast between the two, VW60; the latter might be a tad sharper from memory.

As Nasty said, it's not fair to compare Sony and JVC in this perspective. I was happy watching NFL more than NBA as far as motion blur is concern. When the Sony iris kicked in, I sure could tell.

As I recalled, I paid $2k for a brand new HW15, so not sure why price is an issue. Sure you could find a JVC refurb RS40 w/ warranty for about $2k in south of the border.
post #11 of 12 Old 10-06-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The price issue was that with 800hrs on the projector, on a flaky bulb it seemed steep to me. Not that it was $2000, just to clarify.
post #12 of 12 Old 10-06-2012, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

The rs40 I found has zero hour with full warranty, but I do not need 3d or ready to upgrade yet.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw50 Sxrd 1080p Home Theater Front Projector , Jvc Dla Rs40u , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page