JVC DLA-X3 vs JVC DLA-HD250 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-31-2012, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dolphinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have decided to purchase a JVC projector and I have narrowed it down to these 2. They are within my budget and the price difference between the 2 is about $350. My setup is listed below and I am looking for input from JVC owners or anyone with knowledge of these 2 models.

I have ZERO interest in 3D so that holds no value to me.

I have a 1.1 gain Elite Cinawhite 106" screen
Projector will be 12' to 13' from the screen
Seating is around 11' to 12' from screen
Flat black walls and ceiling
100% light controlled room

Yamaha Advantage A2000
Oppo BD-83
Other equipment

80% Blu-Ray Movies
10% Directv
10% Games (Xbox 360)

Thanks for any info.
dolphinc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 07-31-2012, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,999
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 149
How many hours per year do you use your projector?
If you use it more than say 500 hours per year, be aware the bulb cost can add up on the RS-45 (x3).
The JVC hd250 has slightly more reliable bulbs presumably. So that might account into your cost mechanisms.


Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

coderguy is online now  
post #3 of 11 Old 07-31-2012, 07:01 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 8,333
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinc View Post

I have decided to purchase a JVC projector and I have narrowed it down to these 2. They are within my budget and the price difference between the 2 is about $350. My setup is listed below and I am looking for input from JVC owners or anyone with knowledge of these 2 models.
I have ZERO interest in 3D so that holds no value to me.
I have a 1.1 gain Elite Cinawhite 106" screen
Projector will be 12' to 13' from the screen
Seating is around 11' to 12' from screen
Flat black walls and ceiling
100% light controlled room
Yamaha Advantage A2000
Oppo BD-83
Other equipment
80% Blu-Ray Movies
10% Directv
10% Games (Xbox 360)
Thanks for any info.

In your room with the flat black walls the RS40 will achieve a bit better black levels and contrast. The RS40 will probably have a sharper image and the you gain power lens shift, FI and a little more brightness. If you are looking at one of the B-stocks, you get a full manufacturer's warranty and to me that would be a big positive over a projector without warranty. Both projectors will do a good job lighting up your screen. You have to decide if those things are worth it. I am not much of a gambler, so i like the safety of a warranty.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is online now  
post #4 of 11 Old 07-31-2012, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dolphinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

How many hours per year do you use your projector?
If you use it more than say 500 hours per year, be aware the bulb cost can add up on the RS-45 (x3).
The JVC hd250 has slightly more reliable bulbs presumably. So that might account into your cost mechanisms.


I use it about 800 hrs a year. I thought JVC fixed the early failure bulb issues?
dolphinc is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 07-31-2012, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dolphinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

In your room with the flat black walls the RS40 will achieve a bit better black levels and contrast. The RS40 will probably have a sharper image and the you gain power lens shift, FI and a little more brightness. If you are looking at one of the B-stocks, you get a full manufacturer's warranty and to me that would be a big positive over a projector without warranty. Both projectors will do a good job lighting up your screen. You have to decide if those things are worth it. I am not much of a gambler, so i like the safety of a warranty.

The 2 companies I was looking to purchase from are both JVC authorized dealers, one is from JVC refurb division itself so warranty should not be an issue. I am just looking for the best deal.
dolphinc is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 07-31-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mbw23air's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: KY
Posts: 2,755
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinc View Post

I use it about 800 hrs a year. I thought JVC fixed the early failure bulb issues?

It's still unknown. I have a RS40/X3 and thought my "002" bulb was fine and right before the bulb hit 500 hours it dimmed tremendously and then died. I never watched 3D and only turned the lamp on high after bulb dimmed. I have a 003 bulb that is to be delivered today that JVC replaced for free and I don't think others who have the 003 bulb have been able to put enough hours on it to know if this bulb fixes the problem. So, just make sure to buy with a warranty as Mike at AV Science says. I would buy the b-stock RS40 from him as AV Science's service is great.

Mike

WTB: DPI Cine LED 1000 projector
mbw23air is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 07-31-2012, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,999
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Or look at buying a bulb-only warranty online to go with your projector. That is what most of us probably should do when buying the JVC lamps.
At least it might cut the lamp costs by 40% in the long-term.


Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

coderguy is online now  
post #8 of 11 Old 07-31-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mbw23air's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: KY
Posts: 2,755
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Or look at buying a bulb-only warranty online to go with your projector. That is what most of us probably should do when buying the JVC lamps.
At least it might cut the lamp costs by 40% in the long-term.

That is a good idea for next time I have to purchase a new JVC lamp if JVC won't cover it. I've never purchased a lamp warranty, do you have to purchase the warranty at the same place that actually provides lamp warranties as an extra or can you purchase your lamp at AV Science then add the warranty by providing a sales receipt to a place like Mack?

Thanks,
Mike

WTB: DPI Cine LED 1000 projector
mbw23air is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 07-31-2012, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,999
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I am not 100% certain, I've bought one lamp warranty but that was so many years ago.
There is Mack, Square Trade, and a few others. I am pretty sure they will let you buy the bulb warranty separately, but you'd have to check with them.
I do not know which one is the best warranty company (easiest to deal with), you might want to start a separate thread for that.


Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

coderguy is online now  
post #10 of 11 Old 08-01-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 8,333
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbw23air View Post

That is a good idea for next time I have to purchase a new JVC lamp if JVC won't cover it. I've never purchased a lamp warranty, do you have to purchase the warranty at the same place that actually provides lamp warranties as an extra or can you purchase your lamp at AV Science then add the warranty by providing a sales receipt to a place like Mack?
Thanks,
Mike

You do not have to purchase the lamp warranty from where you purchase the lamp. You do need to purchase the lamp warranty within 30 days of lamp purchase.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is online now  
post #11 of 11 Old 08-01-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mbw23air's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: KY
Posts: 2,755
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Thanks Guys,

I'm hoping this third generation JVC lamp won't suffer any premature dimming or die early. If it lasts it's normal life then I will give you a call Mike to purchase my next JVC lamp and I will definitely get it covered by a warranty.

Thanks,
Mike

WTB: DPI Cine LED 1000 projector
mbw23air is offline  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Jvc Dla Rs40u
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off