PANASONIC PT-AE8000U (US VERSION) PT-AT6000E (EUROPEAN VERSION) IFA BERLIN 2012 New LCD 1080p 3D Projector - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 497 Old 10-13-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Purbeast, thanks for taking the time to test and comment on Input Lag. Much appreciated!

The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here, and here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 497 Old 10-13-2012, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post

Purbeast, thanks for taking the time to test and comment on Input Lag. Much appreciated!

No problem.

And I would like to hear more from sblack010 in regards to him noticing the lag big time. I'm not saying it isn't there or anything, I'm just saying that me personally I really could not notice it. I'm wondering if he truly was in gaming mode, because I would slightly notice it prior to switching to gaming mode.

And this is coming from someone who is a hardcore fighter and specifically bought the "Evo Monitor" to play as lagless as possible on an HD setup. And to let you know how hardcore I am into fighters, I actually flew to Vegas in 2011 for Evo and competed in it heh.

Granted that doesn't mean my credentials are higher than anyone elses, just that I definitely am very into fighters and am finicky about input lag.
post #453 of 497 Old 10-13-2012, 09:24 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post

Thanks for chiming in. What do you mean by the fact that 'all other modes' present problems with ghosting lag etc? you mean you notice lag on other modes while GAMING, or even during movies? (lip synch issues)? Also you mention ghosting, and I am not sure what you mean by this. Generally this forum has used ghosting in reference to 3D ghosting issues. Can you elaborate?
i dont want to have to run this PJ in game mode always, because I do prefer a calibrated mode etc for movies. Game mode for gaming, that's OK.

I should have elaborated there or clarified. I only noticed the lag when GAMING ONLY and in other modes...such as CINEMA 1 or CINEMA 2...and it was very slight movement delay with characters...such as Ryu in SFIV...he would do an upper-cut and I could see his body duplicate/ghost as it went up...versus when I switched the projector to GAME mode...and there was NO LAG and NO GHOSTING that I could notice.

When I watch movies...I've found Cinema 2 to be nice or the Dynamic mode...which is very bright.

Let me know which one you end up with for a projector...but I'm happy with the Panasonic...but again, this is my FIRST projector ever...so I don't have much to compare to other than the movies or friends' homes with older projectors. cool.gif
post #454 of 497 Old 10-13-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQ22 View Post

Tron: Legacy has a fantastic 7.1 soundtrack...with the double bonus that it looks pretty awesome in 3D too (except for the darn aspect switching).

Thank you for the suggestion! Going to have to pick that one up...as I loved that movie...and the music was awesome.

I did have Prometheus show up at my door from Amazon.com (huge shopper there, btw tongue.gif )...and did NOT know it had a 7.1 soundtrack as well. I watched it the other night and it was awesome. Confusing story...but stunning visuals, for sure. biggrin.gif
post #455 of 497 Old 10-13-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast View Post

So I went over to someone's house from AVS today and he let me demo his 8000. I have to say I'm extremely impressed!
I had initially thought I wanted a 120" screen, but he had a 100" screen and it seemed HUGE. So now I am not sure about the size.
I demo'ed the 3D a little bit and saw the effect with the end of Green Lantern and it was pretty cool. I then put in Saving Private Ryan and it looked great. It was really bright and he even had some ambient lighting on, although he has it controlled so he could have turned it down. But I was impressed with how bright it is.
Then came the REAL test to me - input lag.
He had a 360 already hooked up so I put in my copy of SSF4 and hooked my joystick up. In the menu's I could tell the lag was pretty good already. I went into training mode and tried combos that I can do with my eyes closed and was landing them as usual. I could tell there was a SLIGHT lag but it was not "unplayable" by any means.
Then he told me it was not in gaming mode, and he switched it to gaming mode.
And HOLY CRAP ... I could notice an instant difference and I really could not "feel" any lag at all. I was extremely impressed with the little input lag on this thing and was landing 1 frame link combos about as frequently as I do on my Evo Monitor.
So as a whole I have to say I'm super impressed with this, and I am 100% purchasing one as my first projector.
And as a bonus, it looks like the 8000 uses the same 3D glasses that I have for my ST50 plasma, which is nice.
So now I have to find out where the best price is on this projector because I'm definitely purchasing it.
Thanks again Tim for taking the time to let me check it out man!

Awesome...makes me happy to hear and verifies my research and my purchase...so I'm not crazy. tongue.gif I am really impressed as well...

I have really enjoyed gaming on it so far...and have played Borderlands 2, CoD: Black Ops, Halo 3 and Reach multiplayer (4 folks on the screen)...and have enjoyed all of it and not been disappointed. Add to that the Prometheus viewing...The Avengers...and TODAY...The Avengers in 3D...as I just received my pair of medium-sized 3D glasses ordered online. I charged them up...and they worked great out of the box. The quality of the 3D is just as good...if not better...than the movie theater. Personally (and obviously I'm biased), I like watching movies at home now MORE than the theater.
post #456 of 497 Old 10-14-2012, 01:48 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froot View Post

The quality of the 3D is just as good...if not better...than the movie theater.

Hey Froot!

I am keen to hear how you get on with further 3D viewing. I'm upgrading from 5yo 720p projector so now with 1080p and 3D in the offering, its all pretty new to me too! I've only quickly previewed the Epson 5010 and Pana 7000 and they looked good - but there is so much buzz on 'ghosting/crosstalk' and dark 3d picture in general that I have been holding off.

The 8000 and other models this year so far certainly seem to have stepped up in that regard with 'viewable' bright images both in 2D and 3D. Happy to get your take on it, as you say you have 'nothing' to compare it to except say the 'real' thing - a seat at the Cinema. And sounds like you will be doing much less of that from here on in biggrin.gif

Cheers!
post #457 of 497 Old 10-14-2012, 03:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can any one tell me where I can find more 3d glasses for my panny at a lower cost? What other brands are compatable?
post #458 of 497 Old 10-14-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Thanks for replying. I am still a bit confused, so let me ask for clarification because this worries me: You say that when GAMING you see ghosting in certain modes (except game mode). That would tell me that if watching a MOVIE in those same modes, you will also see ghosting. Otherwise it doesn't make sense to me that certain modes produce ghosting with gaming only!

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froot View Post

I should have elaborated there or clarified. I only noticed the lag when GAMING ONLY and in other modes...such as CINEMA 1 or CINEMA 2...and it was very slight movement delay with characters...such as Ryu in SFIV...he would do an upper-cut and I could see his body duplicate/ghost as it went up...versus when I switched the projector to GAME mode...and there was NO LAG and NO GHOSTING that I could notice.
When I watch movies...I've found Cinema 2 to be nice or the Dynamic mode...which is very bright.
Let me know which one you end up with for a projector...but I'm happy with the Panasonic...but again, this is my FIRST projector ever...so I don't have much to compare to other than the movies or friends' homes with older projectors. cool.gif

The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here, and here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
post #459 of 497 Old 10-14-2012, 11:10 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgapt View Post

Can any one tell me where I can find more 3d glasses for my panny at a lower cost? What other brands are compatable?

wondering this as well? are the 7000 3D glasses compatible with the 8000?
post #460 of 497 Old 10-14-2012, 11:39 AM

Glasses are the same as for the 7000.
post #461 of 497 Old 10-14-2012, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
So are there after market brands that work with 7000/8000?
post #462 of 497 Old 10-14-2012, 02:27 PM

I am using Panasonic glasses. I found good prices on-line. I bought 2 medium and one large and am waiting for the 2 free from the projector promotion.
post #463 of 497 Old 10-15-2012, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgapt View Post

So are there after market brands that work with 7000/8000?

I have heard that the PS3 3d glasses are pretty good with this PJ setup (at least for the 7000).
post #464 of 497 Old 10-15-2012, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone have any places they recommend purchasing this for the cheapest price around?

It looks like it's pretty much stuck around $2999, although AG has it for $2979, which isn't much but it is $20 cheaper.

Are there any better deals from authorized dealers? Being as this is my first projector, is it worth getting on the phone with these places and talking price with them to try and get it down a bit?
post #465 of 497 Old 10-15-2012, 07:32 AM

Crawfords Superstore via Amazon selling for $2899. Not sure if the are authorised dealer, but seems best price at the mo!

Am still hanging out for more feedback/reviews to decide between the Panny and the Sony HW50. rolleyes.gif
post #466 of 497 Old 10-15-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azula View Post

I have heard that the PS3 3d glasses are pretty good with this PJ setup (at least for the 7000).

+1. And only @ $40 bucks a pair can afford to have a few backups when more than 2 people wanna watch a 3D movie tongue.gif
post #467 of 497 Old 10-15-2012, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projector Lad View Post

Crawfords Superstore via Amazon selling for $2899. Not sure if the are authorised dealer, but seems best price at the mo!
Am still hanging out for more feedback/reviews to decide between the Panny and the Sony HW50. rolleyes.gif

I actually found this link here:

http://www.panasonic.com/business/projectors/dealers_home_theater.asp

Which has authorized dealer links below.

I went to Projector Point website and they have it for $2799, although it says it's currently out of stock.

http://www.projectorpoint.com/products/28981/PT-AE8000U.aspx

Has anyone ordered from them? I also saw a link to their site from Projector Central's information about the 8000 and they seem to have good ratings.

I'm just curious if anyone has ordered from them before and if so, if they had a good experience.
post #468 of 497 Old 10-15-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:

I actually found this link here:
http://www.panasonic.com/business/projectors/dealers_home_theater.asp
Which has authorized dealer links below.
I went to Projector Point website and they have it for $2799, although it says it's currently out of stock.
http://www.projectorpoint.com/products/28981/PT-AE8000U.aspx
Has anyone ordered from them? I also saw a link to their site from Projector Central's information about the 8000 and they seem to have good ratings.
I'm just curious if anyone has ordered from them before and if so, if they had a good experience.

I'm sorry about the off topic comment but your avatar is HILARIOUS! ok, back on topic.
post #469 of 497 Old 10-15-2012, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
What's up Azula! Aren't you on the xbmc forums as well? My HTPC has been running like a champ, once I got all my settings dialed in! Our house is almost built and I can't wait to get into the media room and get things going. So, are you looking to upgrade from the 7000? What are your thoughts on the PJ? How does the 7000 handle motion?
post #470 of 497 Old 10-15-2012, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm sorry about the off topic comment but your avatar is HILARIOUS! ok, back on topic.

Haha that is how I've felt the past decade or more.

However, RG3 is starting to give me hope for the upcoming years!
post #471 of 497 Old 10-15-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoy73 View Post

What's up Azula! Aren't you on the xbmc forums as well? My HTPC has been running like a champ, once I got all my settings dialed in! Our house is almost built and I can't wait to get into the media room and get things going. So, are you looking to upgrade from the 7000? What are your thoughts on the PJ? How does the 7000 handle motion?

That would be me! What's up Joe?? I can't say enough good things about my 7000! Great picture quality in 2d and 3d. I haven't experienced any flickering as of yet (knocks on wood). The only negative I have is the lack of brightness in 3d and even that is tolerable. I'm really getting the upgrade bug though and it seems as if the 7k's have been going for around $2000.00 on ebay. My evil side is telling me that I could get a brand new PJ for 800 bucks more! Still waiting for more feedback though.
Quote:

Haha that is how I've felt the past decade or more.
However, RG3 is starting to give me hope for the upcoming years!

undoubtedly. I've been following him from college. I don't think you guys will have much to worry about in the future. Now, Cowboy fans such as myself.....that's a whole 'nother story, smh.
post #472 of 497 Old 10-15-2012, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

undoubtedly. I've been following him from college. I don't think you guys will have much to worry about in the future. Now, Cowboy fans such as myself.....that's a whole 'nother story, smh.

Being a Skins fan and hating on the Ravens because they are a good team and I work in Columbia (1/2 way between DC and Baltimore, but 100% Ravens country up there) I wanted both teams to lose yesterday but it just wasn't possible. I wish it went to OT and was a tie lol, but I knew that wasn't going to happen.
post #473 of 497 Old 10-15-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:

That would be me! What's up Joe?? I can't say enough good things about my 7000! Great picture quality in 2d and 3d. I haven't experienced any flickering as of yet (knocks on wood). The only negative I have is the lack of brightness in 3d and even that is tolerable. I'm really getting the upgrade bug though and it seems as if the 7k's have been going for around $2000.00 on ebay. My evil side is telling me that I could get a brand new PJ for 800 bucks more! Still waiting for more feedback though.
Good to hear! I know what you mean, I'm torn between the new price cuts on the 7000 and the newness of the 8000 and all its goodies...lol. Tell me about it....I live in Dallas Bro and let's just say....it's hard being a cowboy fan these days...lol.
post #474 of 497 Old 10-15-2012, 01:56 PM

Quick question for the group. I'm looking at the 8000, and while plugging in my screensize and distance on the caluculator at projectorcentral for the panny8k (158" @ 26 foot) I'm only going to get 7 FL. Is that too dim? The room is 100% light controlled room in hte basement, no windows and it gets pitch black in there, but I'm wondering if it's workable at that light level. Any opinions? The projector is so far back because I'd like to use the projector room I've built in the back of the room if possible.
post #475 of 497 Old 10-15-2012, 02:08 PM

You bring up a great question D, I'm looking at 13FL with 1.3 gain, 140" 2.35 screen at a 19ft throw distance my self and My room is completely light controlled cave and 20ft deep. Curious if any of the 7000 or current 8000 owners have any insight on this?
post #476 of 497 Old 10-15-2012, 02:48 PM

This I found the answer here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/397251/foot-lamberts-for-thx-certification#post_3741846

Looks like a minium of 18 FL for a totally light controlled room, with the recommendation of 25 based on user feedback...

windowed rooms should be 55FL or more...

So it looks like I can't use the projector room concept...dang...guess I'll have to build a hush box instead.
post #477 of 497 Old 10-16-2012, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dguarnaccia View Post

This I found the answer here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/397251/foot-lamberts-for-thx-certification#post_3741846
Looks like a minium of 18 FL for a totally light controlled room, with the recommendation of 25 based on user feedback...
windowed rooms should be 55FL or more...
So it looks like I can't use the projector room concept...dang...guess I'll have to build a hush box instead.

Don't believe the numbers that they say you have to have. I have a Panny 4000 and the projector central calc says with my set-up I have 8FL, so acarding to that it should be unwatchable..... Well we love it and the picture is great. Actually still running in ECO mode and have I think around 900 hours on it, just the other day I was thinking it may be time to jump it to normal mode to get a little more light back out if it. Just ran the 8000 through the cal and says I would have 12FL with that, man would that be a jump.....cool.gif
post #478 of 497 Old 10-16-2012, 11:07 AM

Thanks for the feedback Mopar. I will certainly try it when I get it but I would worry about the light loss from 3d as well, which woudl bring it from 8FL to 4 or less which I suspect would really be unwatchable but I appreciate the feedback.
post #479 of 497 Old 10-16-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dguarnaccia View Post

Thanks for the feedback Mopar. I will certainly try it when I get it but I would worry about the light loss from 3d as well, which woudl bring it from 8FL to 4 or less which I suspect would really be unwatchable but I appreciate the feedback.

3D could be a problem yes. I think you will me OK with 2D but if you have the option I would try to move the projector closer and put it over the front row of seating ok something.
post #480 of 497 Old 10-18-2012, 02:57 AM

Code:
It seems a review of the AE8000 will be ready by next week over at projectorreviews.com
They will also have both the Panny and new Epson5020 at the same time for a shootout.
This is what I've been waiting for to decide and possibly sway me (or not) from the already well reviewed Sony HW50es. Decisions decisions biggrin.giftongue.gif
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page