PANASONIC PT-AE8000U (US VERSION) PT-AT6000E (EUROPEAN VERSION) IFA BERLIN 2012 New LCD 1080p 3D Projector - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 497 Old 09-12-2012, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarangiman View Post

So it'd be priced near the AE7000U. Nice. No panel alignment scares me though. Even when digital implemented, it can enhance sharpness of misaligned panels... and I'm paranoid about panels misaligning over time after my experience with my AE-900U (which is now severely misaligned).

Since the 8000 announcement the price on the 7000 has come down a fair bit !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 497 Old 09-13-2012, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdittmar View Post

Hi guys,
I'm having the same debate between the 7000 now, the 8000 when it comes out, or the 7000 after the 8000 comes out. I'm leaning toward the 7000 either way since it doesn't seem they added much of importance, to me. The 400 lumens in my setup won't change anything while the extra $300+ (current 7000 price compared to the 8000's projected opening retail price) will afford me my screen (building it DIY) and the mounting hardware for my ceiling, at least. @JamesN, do you know exactly how much the price dropped on the 4000 when the 7000 came out? Do you think it's reasonable to expect it will at least be more than $160?
Here are the scenarios I'm weighing against one another in regards to cost for the projector & 2 pairs of 3D glasses:
A) get the 7000 right now ($2339) from non-authorized dealer and buy two pairs of 3d glasses on amazon ($120) = $2459 total
B) get the 7000 right now ($2499) from an authorized dealer and get two pairs of 3d glasses free via panasonic rebate ($120 value) = $2499 total
or wait for the 7000 to drop price in which case
C) if it drops in September, get it from an authorized dealer and still get the two free pairs of 3D glasses = $2499 - [priceDrop] total
D) it it drops in October, get it from an authorized dealer but buy the glasses myself ($120) = $2619 - [priceDrop] (The rebate expires 9/30)
E) regardless of when it drops, get it from an unauthorized dealer and buy the glasses on Amazon ($120) = $2569 - [priceDrop] total (Guessing the regular price at the store in A was about $2449)
So the best deal right now is A...to break even in the future scenarios, the price drop in C has to be > $40, the priceDrop in D > $160, or the priceDrop in E >$110.
I had a similar situation in May with my Onkyo receiver...the MSRP and retail price for it at the time were basically $1000 less than those prices for the AE7000, and it dropped $400 when the new model hit the shelves, but I'm getting the feeling that I shouldn't expect a $400 price drop with this projector. I'm also noticing that even the AE4000 is still $1800 right now...was that dropped to $1800 recently or has it been $1800 ever since the AE7000 came out?
-Steve
FYI about the rebate on the glasses, you have to go through a Panasonic Authorized Dealer and buy the AE7000 before the end of September...figuring out who is an authorized dealer is NOT easy, you have to call the rebate support number and ask them. Panasonic sales couldnt tell me for certain who was/wasn't. He pointed me to the dealer search tool, but it only locates brick and mortar stores and that is not a guarantee that they sell the projector you want. Also, the AE7000U product page on Panasonic's website says "Visit a panasonic reseller to get yours today" and links to 4 web merchants, but only two of them were confirmed by the rebate support rep as authorized resellers. Visual Apex and AGI (AudioGeneral.com) are both authorized. She couldn't find anything for ProjectorPoint (so presumably not authorized) and ProjectorPeople.com USED to be, but as of February is no longer.

Steve - You can find the authorized dealers by clicking "How to buy" here http://www.panasonic.com/business/projectors/pt-ae7000u.asp#

Projector Point has the best price I've found yet, which is $2349 once you add it to your cart. Not sure about shipping though. Also, B&H does price match and right now they do have free shipping on the 7000. Both are authorized dealers and have the glasses rebate available, but I have had good experiences with B&H.

I am also having a hard time though as I was ready to pull the trigger on the 7000 when I heard about the 8000. I'm considering upgrading my 133" 16:9 screen to a 166" 2.35 screen, so the added lumens would be helpful. But in my completely dark room the 7000 would offer sufficient brightness. It would be worth perhaps a $500 premium to me, but nothing more than that. I'm afraid we won't see any actual retail prices until the glasses rebate has expired on the 7000.
post #93 of 497 Old 09-13-2012, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks manning99, I actually pulled the trigger on Monday. Projector People has had it for $2399 (which is what I see it at today) since last week and shipping is free (scheduled to be delivered tomorrow!). I had started prepping my room for it and I just couldnt take the waiting any longer haha. I also compared the price drops that it's taken so far, which were about 20% at the end of last year, 10% in the first quarter of this year, and 4% in Aug/Sept. I don't think they're going to clearance it, just like they didnt the AE4000, so even another 4% drop would only be $100. I have nothing other than gut feel, hopes and dreams to base that off of, really, but thats what I had to do to convince myself I wasn't being hasty by ordering before it got closer to the end of Sept. tongue.gif

Sorry I didn't post sooner about that. I thought I had posted a response, but it seems to have been consumed by the same monster that eats my socks in the dryer...no clue where it went/why it didn't post. I did talk to the ProjectorPeople customer service directly over Labor Day and they verified that they are in fact authorized dealers, so I'll take their word for it. According to AudioGeneral, the $2339 price I saw (at RytherCamera.com) was at or below cost unless they stocked up back in liek April when they were momentarily less. AGI claimed they couldn't even buy them from Panasonic for that price. I didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling from Ryther when I called them, though I do have a friend who bought a DSLR from them a year or two ago and everything panned out eventhough he had the same initial experience (prices lower than literally everywhere else). So, not sure what to make of them yet.

I doubt I'll get much work done tomorrow one that thing arrives... biggrin.gif
post #94 of 497 Old 09-13-2012, 03:12 PM

Liked: 14
8000u available for Pre-order!!! http://www.projectorpeople.com/projectors/projdtls.asp?itemid=27643&itmname=Panasonic+PT-AE8000U

Nice - so who's gonna be the first... maybe me smile.gif

** Edit - another authorized dealer site says expected availability September 24th.
post #95 of 497 Old 09-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalJet View Post

8000u available for Pre-order!!! http://www.projectorpeople.com/projectors/projdtls.asp?itemid=27643&itmname=Panasonic+PT-AE8000U
** Edit - another authorized dealer site says expected availability September 24th.

Even though MSRP is identical to the 7000, retail price on the pre-order is higher for the 8000 than the 7000 was -- at least at PP.
post #96 of 497 Old 09-13-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalJet View Post

Yup, up for pre-order at B&H, Visual Apex and Projector People. Looks like all 3 put them up for pre-order today. Got my order in already.
post #97 of 497 Old 09-13-2012, 06:54 PM

Liked: 17
I guess VA wants me to faint:
30 Day Panasonic Home Theater Projector Return Policy
Home Theater Projectors: Projectors returned within 30 days of receipt and less than 5 hours of use will NOT incur a restocking fee. Projectors returned within 30 days of receipt and less than 20 hours of use will be refunded less a 15% restocking fee. Projectors past 30 days of receipt or with 20+ hours of use are non-returnable.

This means the efficient consumer can determine the basic PQ and especially any serious convergence errors without much risk.
Or manufactures have raised quality standards to where they don't expect many returns (after all Panasonic is coating their lens now!)
Where is that smelling salts?
post #98 of 497 Old 09-13-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

I guess VA wants me to faint:
30 Day Panasonic Home Theater Projector Return Policy
Home Theater Projectors: Projectors returned within 30 days of receipt and less than 5 hours of use will NOT incur a restocking fee. Projectors returned within 30 days of receipt and less than 20 hours of use will be refunded less a 15% restocking fee. Projectors past 30 days of receipt or with 20+ hours of use are non-returnable.
This means the efficient consumer can determine the basic PQ and especially any serious convergence errors without much risk.
Or manufactures have raised quality standards to where they don't expect many returns (after all Panasonic is coating their lens now!)
Where is that smelling salts?

Yup, this is why I chose Visual Apex over Projector people. VA is 5hrs/20hrs, PP is only 4hrs/10hrs. Much more protection with Visual Apex.
post #99 of 497 Old 09-14-2012, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Visual Apex is now posting an offer for two pairs of 3D glasses, but unlike the previous offers, there doesn't appear to be an option for selecting size. I guess my big head will need to shrink?.....
post #100 of 497 Old 09-14-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMJack View Post

Visual Apex is now posting an offer for two pairs of 3D glasses, but unlike the previous offers, there doesn't appear to be an option for selecting size. I guess my big head will need to shrink?.....

I put my pre-order in yesterday at VA. According to the form the 2 free glasses are available from any Authorized Dealer but yea...I didn't see mention of size either.
post #101 of 497 Old 09-15-2012, 12:15 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeeK View Post

Yup, up for pre-order at B&H, Visual Apex and Projector People. Looks like all 3 put them up for pre-order today. Got my order in already.

Where did you put your order in...just curious? I see others stating that VA is better based on return timeframe (that's where Stoma Kalos put an order in). Projector People look good as well. Wondering where I should sign up. I've been waiting for this projector.

Also, what is the best mount for the 8000?

Thanks! biggrin.gif
post #102 of 497 Old 09-15-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoma Kalos View Post

I put my pre-order in yesterday at VA. According to the form the 2 free glasses are available from any Authorized Dealer but yea...I didn't see mention of size either.

The form says it needs to be purchased between September 15 and December 31, so you may want to call them and either cancel/reorder or ensure that they don't indicate a purchase date prior to September 15 on your invoice.

Also, the insructions on the bottom of the form still indicate to "complete the 3D eyewear selection section," which on the old form was where size was selected. It looks like maybe whoever revised the form may have simply neglected to include the size section. Let's hope so.
post #103 of 497 Old 09-15-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froot View Post

Where did you put your order in...just curious? I see others stating that VA is better based on return timeframe (that's where Stoma Kalos put an order in). Projector People look good as well. Wondering where I should sign up. I've been waiting for this projector.
Also, what is the best mount for the 8000?
Thanks! biggrin.gif
My order is in at Visual Apex. As far as mounts go, I am using the Chief Universal Mount. Upgrading from the Panny 3000.
post #104 of 497 Old 09-15-2012, 10:08 AM

I currently have a JVC HD250 (aka the RS10). Has anyone directly compared the RS10/HD250 generation to an AE7000? How did image compare? Dark scenes? AE7000 to an RS45? Thoughts on JVC's older DILAs versus the newer LCDs? I would love to feel that the new AE8000 for 2D is at least as good as my HD250 and hopefully better. My plan would be to set it farther back in my room and go to a 2.35:1 screen. I currently have a 135" 16:9 in a bat cave. I'm considering going to 166" 2.35:1 which would maintain my current height for 16:9 media. I need brighter and I do want to take the step to 3D.
post #105 of 497 Old 09-15-2012, 10:16 AM

I'd really like to get this projector, but I'm hoping it's less prone to moire on my Center Stage XD screen than the Epson 8350 that I'm currently using. Unfortunately, tilting the fabric wasn't an option because it's a retractable screen.
post #106 of 497 Old 09-15-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:

The form says it needs to be purchased between September 15 and December 31, so you may want to call them and either cancel/reorder or ensure that they don't indicate a purchase date prior to September 15 on your invoice.

Yea, I thought about that but I think it should be fine. The invoice is what's important and they won't invoice until they get them in and ship. I actually asked VA to let me know when it's in and before they attempt to charge my card which is what they say on their website but their email said they would just charge it as soon as they get it (they said they would notify me first though).

Anyway, hopefully Panasonic won't give me grief for "pre-ordering" a day before their official pre-order announcement. I ain't givin' up my spot in line smile.gif
post #107 of 497 Old 09-15-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I ain't givin' up my spot in line smile.gif

I'm sitting on the fence about when to join that line. I like that VA will honor either the pre-order price or the price on day of sale (whichever is lower), but I'm wondering if they might drop a couple hundred shortly after day one when others are shipping and competition starts to set in. I seem to recall that happening with the AE7000, but can't remember for sure. Maybe somebody else can refresh my memory. I am glad to see that they've got a free glasses rebate already in place. Decisions....decisions..... rolleyes.gif
post #108 of 497 Old 09-15-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:

I'm sitting on the fence about when to join that line. I like that VA will honor either the pre-order price or the price on day of sale (whichever is lower), but I'm wondering if they might drop a couple hundred shortly after day one when others are shipping and competition starts to set in. I seem to recall that happening with the AE7000, but can't remember for sure.

Yea, I thought about that too but I'm ready for the projector now and waiting just for it to come out is making me anxious. So I don't think I can wait longer for $$$ price break...if it happens.

By the way, I just noticed they have the 8000 projector package up now:
http://www.visualapex.com/projector-package-deals/home-theater-projector-package.asp?for-the=PT-AE8000U&Screen=FF_135

Think I'm going to have them update my order with a 135" fixed screen package. This is my first theater so I don't have anything...well besides my speakers and receiver (Onkyo 818). Seating will be here in about 2-3 weeks.
post #109 of 497 Old 09-15-2012, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Think I'm going to have them update my order with a 135" fixed screen package. This is my first theater so I don't have anything...well besides my speakers and receiver (Onkyo 818). Seating will be here in about 2-3 weeks.

Sounds like a good deal. Myself, I've only bought one screen in my life and it's probably the best investment I've ever made in home theatre gear. A Carada Criterion 142" brilliant white. Highly recommended. cool.gif
post #110 of 497 Old 09-15-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:

Sounds like a good deal. Myself, I've only bought one screen in my life and it's probably the best investment I've ever made in home theatre gear. A Carada Criterion 142" brilliant white. Highly recommended. cool.gif

How much and where?
post #111 of 497 Old 09-16-2012, 08:32 AM

NMJACK it seems like the competition has begun. Just a heads up for all the people who jumped the gun on the Panasonic PT-AE8000u. Check out AGI (Audio General) they have it up for $2599.00. They are one of the three authorized resellers off of Panasonics website.

Update on authorized resellers. The list has been updated to include "Projector People" for the PT-AE8000U.

http://www.audiogeneral.com/Panasonic/ptae8000u_psc.php
post #112 of 497 Old 09-16-2012, 08:39 AM

Projector Central's review has this statement "Update September 12: We have received further information from Panasonic regarding the price of the AE8000 and its replacement lamps. We have also been told that Panasonic will offer consumers two free pairs of 3D glasses with the purchase of a Panasonic AE8000." The AGI site does not have the offer for the free glasses. Not sure, since they are an authorized dealer, why they wouldn't.
post #113 of 497 Old 09-16-2012, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seloc1 View Post

Projector Central's review has this statement "Update September 12: We have received further information from Panasonic regarding the price of the AE8000 and its replacement lamps. We have also been told that Panasonic will offer consumers two free pairs of 3D glasses with the purchase of a Panasonic AE8000." The AGI site does not have the offer for the free glasses. Not sure, since they are an authorized dealer, why they wouldn't.

It probably doesn't matter, since the panasonic rebate form is posted elsewhere and is not dealer specific.
post #114 of 497 Old 09-16-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:

NMJACK it seems like the competition has begun. Just a heads up for all the people who jumped the gun on the Panasonic PT-AE8000u. Check out AGI (Audio General) they have it up for $2599.00. They are one of the three authorized resellers off of Panasonics website.
Nice, time to do some price matching or change my order!
post #115 of 497 Old 09-16-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How much and where?

http://www.carada.com/

I think they only sell direct to the consumer. The brilliant white fabric is a bit heavier and also give a slight gain (1.4). They will send you fabric samples if you ask them to. Mine has been on the wall for over seven years and it remains absolutely flat and true. The heavy aluminum frame is absolutely amazing. Just one satisfied customer's opinion. wink.gif
post #116 of 497 Old 09-16-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ordered!! Thanks again for this information. A little research revealed that AGI has been in business since 1973 and their customer reviews at Projector Central are outstanding. I also like the fact that nowhere on their website does it suggest that if I receive a DOA unit that it's up to me to deal with the manufacturer directly. That policy made me a little nervous at some of the more well known suppliers.
post #117 of 497 Old 09-16-2012, 01:09 PM

I pulled the trigger for the projector at Visual Apex, yet after seeing the link to AGI, am cancelling my order and going there. Although...after just calling AGI and getting a guy that didn't want to answer the phone on a Sunday (which I understand...then don't answer), he was very short and rude. I went to the VA site and watched the About Us video with the founder and it has me thinking that VA will price match to AGI, since they are BOTH Panasonic authorized dealers (2 of the 3, according to Panasonic site). For a savings of $400, that's a no-brainer though.

Totally pumped for the Panasonic projector. And to the person's comment about a 12-year-old and lag, you must be an older gentleman that doesn't play Xbox or any PS3 games. You absolutely NEED low input lag or ANY game is frustrating to play.

I'm with others on the Carada. The Panasonic PT-AE 8000 will be my FIRST projector as well and I'm pairing it with a Carada Criterion 118" screen, 16:9 (input appreciated if I should look at others...or wider screen, etc.). I've read the Carada are your best bang for the buck, yet am not sure if I should go Brilliant White or the Gray...since I'm in a basement that is underground with zero windows/natural light.

As another commenter stated, I am pairing mine with the Onkyo receiver, although I went with the 717 and not the 818...couldn't justify $550 versus the $1100 they wanted for the 818. No NEO X content out yet and I won't ever program the thing to need an RS 232 port...but yeah, it does have 10 more WATTS per channel, which is nice. Super impressed by the Android control application for the receiver. That just makes me giddy as a geek.

Can't rave enough about Axiom Audio for speakers. I have had a set for YEARS now and LOVE THEM! You can't go wrong with ANY of their sets.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/
Stoma Kalos likes this.
post #118 of 497 Old 09-16-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:

Not a great return policy, though (http://www.audiogeneral.com/Products/Policies.html):
Quote:
If you are dissatisfied with your purchase, return the merchandise within 5 business days of receipt, with all of the accessories and packing material, prepaid and insured. We will refund your money, less a 10% restocking fee.
post #119 of 497 Old 09-16-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Froot - Welcome to the club. Hopefully AGI will be receiving their stash quickly. Also, regarding the Carada fabric, I can strongly recommend the brilliant white. I also have a totally dark basement type setting, and the Carada brilliant white is great. Grey would be more appropriate for a situation with some ambient light. Also, the extra ~$100 for the brilliant white not only buys you the 1.4 gain, but it is a heavier fabric which is important for the larger screen size. Is 118" the largest that your room will accomodate? I went to the max (142"), and it has worked out great. My AE900 and AE2000 both had no problems with brightness in my room situation, even on eco mode. I think bigger is better, especially with 3D, as the immersion factor is very important. I'm still running an old Onkyo 705 receiver, so initailly for 3D I'll be running an HDMI direct from player to projector, and feeding out a digital coax audio to the receiver (at loss of high def sound). Ultimately, I'll probably buy a new dual HDMI output player to support both, but that can wait. I doubt Piranha 3DD and My Bloody Valentine lose much by having lossy sound output. biggrin.gif
post #120 of 497 Old 09-16-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaysing View Post

Not a great return policy, though (http://www.audiogeneral.com/Products/Policies.html):

That only applies for disatisfaction with performance, which is highly unlikely in my situation. IMHO, DOA units should always be handled with immediate replacement from the seller, not a referal to the manufacturer warranty process, which can be timely and frustrating. If I buy something with a credit card, and I receive defective merchandise, it's up to the seller to remedy the situation (this is federal credit protection law, not a "policy" by a retailer or manufacturer).
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page