PANASONIC PT-AE8000U (US VERSION) PT-AT6000E (EUROPEAN VERSION) IFA BERLIN 2012 New LCD 1080p 3D Projector - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 497 Old 09-18-2012, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Is there an expected ship date on these yet?

Just wondering when we will start hearing real world feedback on it.

I know the one review mentioned good input lag, but I would like to hear more feedback than the one review in regards to it, especially from a gamer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 497 Old 09-18-2012, 10:01 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast View Post

Is there an expected ship date on these yet?
Just wondering when we will start hearing real world feedback on it.
I know the one review mentioned good input lag, but I would like to hear more feedback than the one review in regards to it, especially from a gamer.
I keep hearing end of this month or beginning of October.
post #183 of 497 Old 09-18-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I was told 2 to 3 weeks two days ago.
post #184 of 497 Old 09-18-2012, 12:40 PM

Liked: 11
I would call myself a hardcore gamer...and I'm willing to come back to this forum and post my feedback and impressions. I play everything from FPS games (I'm an old Quake 1 gamer through today's CoD and now Borderlands 2!!!!) to RTS to MMOs to racing (NFS: Hot Pursuit is still the BEST in the series) to old-school fighting games (Samurai Shodown 2 for Neo Geo is my favorite, personally)...you name it, I'll play it (even puzzle games that hurt my brain...).

I ended up ordering from Projector People after reading reviews and researching companies. I don't think you can go wrong with them or Visual Apex, yet I liked their customer service folks on the phone and, as a developer, their site was more impressive, which I do have a tendency to judge a company on (it's like seeing their storefront...you don't want bums and grafiti on the door with a spooky looking doorman waiting for you...which is what AGI's site reminds me of...AGI is begging for a Web dev/designer to swoop in and fix that site).

With regards to the lag, 34ms does equate to half a frame, which I doubt I'm going to notice, but it is not the 19ms or so that the Panasonic AR100U or Panasonic 8350 are able to accomplish (from the "scientific experiment" post I saw on these forums). I'm sure gaming on this projector is going to be awesome. I have 25 inches per person for 4 player Halo 4 (I have the CE on preorder at Amazon!).

I'll give feedback a week or so after it ships. I expect a shipment in a week or two. I heard the 25th from somewhere (forum posting or something...).
post #185 of 497 Old 09-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froot View Post

I would call myself a hardcore gamer...and I'm willing to come back to this forum and post my feedback and impressions. I play everything from FPS games (I'm an old Quake 1 gamer through today's CoD and now Borderlands 2!!!!) to RTS to MMOs to racing (NFS: Hot Pursuit is still the BEST in the series) to old-school fighting games (Samurai Shodown 2 for Neo Geo is my favorite, personally)...you name it, I'll play it (even puzzle games that hurt my brain...).
I ended up ordering from Projector People after reading reviews and researching companies. I don't think you can go wrong with them or Visual Apex, yet I liked their customer service folks on the phone and, as a developer, their site was more impressive, which I do have a tendency to judge a company on (it's like seeing their storefront...you don't want bums and grafiti on the door with a spooky looking doorman waiting for you...which is what AGI's site reminds me of...AGI is begging for a Web dev/designer to swoop in and fix that site).
With regards to the lag, 34ms does equate to half a frame, which I doubt I'm going to notice, but it is not the 19ms or so that the Panasonic AR100U or Panasonic 8350 are able to accomplish (from the "scientific experiment" post I saw on these forums). I'm sure gaming on this projector is going to be awesome. I have 25 inches per person for 4 player Halo 4 (I have the CE on preorder at Amazon!).
I'll give feedback a week or so after it ships. I expect a shipment in a week or two. I heard the 25th from somewhere (forum posting or something...).

Cool I'll be looking for feedback. I would prefer fighting game feedback if possible smile.gif

Additionally, 34 frames is not 1/2 a frame. That is over 2 frames. 1 frame is about 16.5ms. Well in a 60FPS game that is, which a lot of the newer games are (at least the ones I play).

I currently game on a monitor that has 8.5ms of lag which is great, so I am curious as to how it compares to that. I wish I had a local place that sold these projectors where I could go hook a 360 up to it and see what it is like.
post #186 of 497 Old 09-18-2012, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by manning99 View Post

You might consider the Panasonic 7000. Projector Point has it for $2349 with free shipping. That was my original choice after comparing it to the RS45, mainly because of brightness.

The NEWEST JVC's are SUPPOSED to have new and improved lamps with higher brightness and a 4000 hour lamp life! eek.gif

The newest JVC lamps are DC power based and those type of illumination systems can have superior qualities.

If I were in the market for a JVC projector I would wait to see how the newest JVC projectors pan out but of course they will be a bit pricier as opposed to the 2012 crop! wink.gif

...Glenn smile.gif
post #187 of 497 Old 09-18-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:

(it's like seeing their storefront...you don't want bums and grafiti on the door with a spooky looking doorman waiting for you...which is what AGI's site reminds me of...AGI is begging for a Web dev/designer to swoop in and fix that site).
Ageed. But for $2599, I gotta stick with it.
post #188 of 497 Old 09-18-2012, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

"AGI is begging for a Web dev/designer to swoop in and fix that site"

Yeah, but then they would have to dramatically raise their prices! wink.gif

...Glenn smile.gif
post #189 of 497 Old 09-18-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baumann View Post

...Glenn smile.gif

Yea I actually sent them an email about a typo on the 8000 product page and asked if they would give me the 2599 deal for helping them. I actually had it in the cart from the night before at that price but they dumped it. Anyway, they said no:(

I'm a software developer as well and cringed each time I visited their "website". I thought about how much I would charge them and it would be more than a free projector...it's better for us to have cheaper prices than a fancy website. biggrin.gif
post #190 of 497 Old 09-18-2012, 03:07 PM

You're right, it is about 2 frames...but I'm hoping it won't be a big deal at 34ms lag. I game on my PC on 3, 24" HP ZR24W and it's super low lag times as well.

It would be nice to get a store with one of these and use a console on it for gaming. I know my local stores typically have only 1 or 2 projectors to try out....which is weaksauce.

Any Xbox fighting games you want me to try specifically? I have the latest Street Fighters and a couple other button mashers.

I agree on the comment of sticking with the AGI price of $2599. If I got in on that, I'd hold my order too for $400 off...even if the site is crap. I was told by AGI over the phone (after the $2899 price quote) that they'd honor the $2599 they did have...so I think you are good.

I'd re-design the AGI site for way less than a projector, personally. It wouldn't take that long and I'd even have a decent store-front with it. Heck, you could BUY a cheap CSS template that looks and would perform WAY better than the 1990's Geocities site they are rocking. biggrin.gif
post #191 of 497 Old 09-18-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMJack View Post

Froot - Welcome to the club. Hopefully AGI will be receiving their stash quickly. Also, regarding the Carada fabric, I can strongly recommend the brilliant white. I also have a totally dark basement type setting, and the Carada brilliant white is great. Grey would be more appropriate for a situation with some ambient light. Also, the extra ~$100 for the brilliant white not only buys you the 1.4 gain, but it is a heavier fabric which is important for the larger screen size. Is 118" the largest that your room will accomodate? I went to the max (142"), and it has worked out great. My AE900 and AE2000 both had no problems with brightness in my room situation, even on eco mode. I think bigger is better, especially with 3D, as the immersion factor is very important. I'm still running an old Onkyo 705 receiver, so initailly for 3D I'll be running an HDMI direct from player to projector, and feeding out a digital coax audio to the receiver (at loss of high def sound). Ultimately, I'll probably buy a new dual HDMI output player to support both, but that can wait. I doubt Piranha 3DD and My Bloody Valentine lose much by having lossy sound output. biggrin.gif

Based on my basement wall and 8 foot high ceilings, speaker placement, etc, it appears the 118" Criterion Carada is my maximum.

I hear you (NMJack) on the Brilliant White, but wouldn't the high gain cause white spots with a Panasonic 8000 series with such high contrast and bright output? Maybe I'm wrong, but it seemed as if 1.4 gain was TOO HIGH, versus the basic 1.0 gain on their normal screen or the .8 on the gray. I'm willing to throw down the $60 to get the thicker, quality fabric, yet don't want bright spots showing up when watching a film and having to REDUCE the brightness tons on my new projector.

Thoughts?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projection_screen#Screen_gain

"Many screens with higher gain are simply semi-glossy, and so exhibit more mirror-like properties, namely a bright "hot spot" in the screen—an enlarged (and greatly blurred) reflection of the projector’s lens. Opinions differ as to when this "hot spotting" begins to be distracting, but most viewers do not notice differences as large as 30% in the image luminosity, unless presented with a test image and asked to look for variations in brightness. This is possible because humans have greater sensitivity to contrast in smaller details, but less so in luminosity variations as great as half of the screen."
post #192 of 497 Old 09-18-2012, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I am not sure if that specific material hotspots, but in many cases I've heard most screens with gain less than 1.5 do not hot spot enough to be visible with proper projector placement. Also a Da-Lite High Power 2.4 gain screen might even be worth a look (even with this high gain), because it has no hot spotting.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/773065/high-power-a-review-part-1

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #193 of 497 Old 09-18-2012, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
You guys know what's difficult? Staring at a brand new AE7000 and not being able to even open the box. After deciding I was unwilling to pay $2,999 for the 8000, I ordered the 7000 last week from B&H. But then I got in on the AGI $2,599 price. The 7000 arrived today, so I'm going to keep it long enough to make sure AGI delivers on that price, then ship it back to B&H. So it will be taunting me for at least the next two weeks.
post #194 of 497 Old 09-18-2012, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 148
That is a tough one, you need to hide the box from yourself. I would probably open it (I'm sure I would), and then I'd be kicking myself.

I would probably run to the movie theater and go pay for movies to give yourself something to do and reduce temptation. Also it's neat going to a commercial theater right before you get a new PJ, that way you can know you beat the commercial theater (especially in contrast).

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #195 of 497 Old 09-18-2012, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Based on my basement wall and 8 foot high ceilings, speaker placement, etc, it appears the 118" Criterion Carada is my maximum.
I hear you (NMJack) on the Brilliant White, but wouldn't the high gain cause white spots with a Panasonic 8000 series with such high contrast and bright output? Maybe I'm wrong, but it seemed as if 1.4 gain was TOO HIGH, versus the basic 1.0 gain on their normal screen or the .8 on the gray. I'm willing to throw down the $60 to get the thicker, quality fabric, yet don't want bright spots showing up when watching a film and having to REDUCE the brightness tons on my new projector.
Thoughts?

My ceilings are 8' in that room and the 142" fits perfect. If I reline back all the way in my lazy boy, my toes just approach the bottom of the image. (13' viewing distance, 18' throw) That 142" is about 6' tall, so there are still a good 2' below the screen to the floor. Best to buy your projector, project the image at various sizes onto a blank wall, and then choose the size screen to order. Oldest (and smartest) trick in the front projection world (actually, second oldest after "paint your walls black, turn off all the lights, and blackout all windows").

I doubt hot spotting will be an issue, but I'll let you know as soon as the PJ arrives. The brilliant white fabric really isn't all that "brilliant," it is a nearly flat texture with absolutely no "sparklies" or anything like that to make it directional or up the gain. It is just a somewhat stretchy vinyl like material that really holds the tension over time and provides a tight, drum like surface (even after 7 years on the wall).
post #196 of 497 Old 09-18-2012, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baumann View Post

...Glenn smile.gif

biggrin.gif Fyi for those struggling with AGI's site, it may reassure you to know that once an item is ordered, it has a nice, easy to use checkout process that sends a confirmation email immediately. I'm guessing their business isn't entirely retail, so simple and clean may fit their business model better than "reach out and grab you flashy."
post #197 of 497 Old 09-19-2012, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I called the Panasonic rebate folks today and asked why the new form doesn't provide for size selection. She put me on hold and checked with somebody else before telling me that for this promo, they will all be medium sized. Not a huge deal (no pun intended), but an inconvenience for those of us who aren't "normal."
post #198 of 497 Old 09-19-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:

I called the Panasonic rebate folks today and asked why the new form doesn't provide for size selection. She put me on hold and checked with somebody else before telling me that for this promo, they will all be medium sized. Not a huge deal (no pun intended), but an inconvenience for those of us who aren't "normal."

Thanks Jack, was wondering about that since the sizes were on the 7000 form. I've never bought glasses before, is medium a "normal" size for adults? Small for children?
post #199 of 497 Old 09-19-2012, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Jack, was wondering about that since the sizes were on the 7000 form. I've never bought glasses before, is medium a "normal" size for adults? Small for children?

I read somewhere that the panasonic glasses can be selected by measuring head circumference. 24" - 27" = large 21" - 24" = medium 19" - 21" = small
I measured in at about 25". I told my wife I needed to measure her head, which led to a bit of a discussion, before I was able to complete the measurement and inform her that she needed medium panasonic 3D glasses. Always good to keep them guessing..... wink.gif
post #200 of 497 Old 09-20-2012, 01:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Panasonic use Trident chips for their CFI don't they? Hasn't Trident gone bankrupt?

Birgir "keyser"
post #201 of 497 Old 09-20-2012, 05:55 AM

From Panasonic's fb page. Hopefully this means no impact from the Chinese factory closings.

Panasonic Projector
Yesterday
PT-AE8000 (PT-AT6000) has now started its shipment!! You should be able to receive products soon smile.gif
post #202 of 497 Old 09-20-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

From Panasonic's fb page. Hopefully this means no impact from the Chinese factory closings.
Panasonic Projector
Yesterday
PT-AE8000 (PT-AT6000) has now started its shipment!! You should be able to receive products soon smile.gif

Do you have a link to that? I'm not sure what Panasonic's "fb" page is. Thanks.
post #203 of 497 Old 09-20-2012, 08:38 AM

I'm pretty sure that stands for Face Book!!
post #204 of 497 Old 09-20-2012, 08:44 AM

post #205 of 497 Old 09-20-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:

I read somewhere that the panasonic glasses can be selected by measuring head circumference. 24" - 27" = large 21" - 24" = medium 19" - 21" = small
I measured in at about 25". I told my wife I needed to measure her head, which led to a bit of a discussion, before I was able to complete the measurement and inform her that she needed medium panasonic 3D glasses. Always good to keep them guessing..... wink.gif

Those are the right sizes... VisualApex lists head circumference sizes on each size's product page...this is the page for Medium:
http://www.visualapex.com/accessories/accessory_details.asp?chpartnumber=TY-EW3D3MU

Amazon's page for the Large glasses has the physical dimensions for all three in a table, which may be more useful for someone who will need to wear regular glasses along with the 3D glasses:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TY-EW3D3LU-Active-Shutter-Eyewear/dp/B0058SYDUW/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1348152121&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=TYEW3D3LU
post #206 of 497 Old 09-20-2012, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagameballa View Post

I'm pretty sure that stands for Face Book!!

Well, don't I look like the old, out of touch boomer who isn't up on these social media tools! (which is precisely accurate)

B&H has had next Monday (9/24) posted as the expected availability, so it looks like that will be the correct date. We should have these in our hands soon. cool.gif
post #207 of 497 Old 09-20-2012, 10:08 AM

I'm really waiting for the shootout between this pj and the epson 5020..it's gonna be hard to wait for the epson if this gets glowing reviews. Although all the negatives I have read on the 7000 thread scare me. patience, patience. I have the money in hand, waiting for the reviews to pour in!
post #208 of 497 Old 09-20-2012, 12:21 PM

You can use idiots like me that pull the trigger on a $3K product that have never even touched it to post an assessment on it and let you know if you should wait or hit up the Panasonic.

The lag situation on the Epson 5010 is what bugs me the most...and I'm not overly positive if they will fix it in the 5020. Although, Epson's customer service is top notch and their projectors get nothing but rave reviews, for the most part. I'm confident, though, in the Panasonic and with the reputation of the 7000 being relatively positive, I'm excited for the 8000.

Either way, I don't think the Epson 5020 nor the Panasonic 8000 will be "bad" choices...just differing pros and cons.

Now I'm frothing at the mouth seeing the shipping post on Facebook and the BHphoto.com saying the 24th. Awesome! cool.gif
post #209 of 497 Old 09-20-2012, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I ordered my AE8000 on Monday and I would love someone's 2 cents on the AE7000 versus the JVC HD250 all the way up to the RS45. My HD250 puts out a beautiful picture in my bat cave. Would I have been disappointed in the 7000 over my JVC? Would I have been surprised that it was as good or better than my JVC? Should I expect the AE8000 to be better in most ways or better in some and then dsappointing in black levels? Thoughts?
post #210 of 497 Old 09-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Is there anyone here definitely getting the 8000 who currently has the 7000 and will be able to perform a crosstalk comparison between the two?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page