Sony HW30 Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-05-2012, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I am in the market for a projector for my new house in a heavily light controlled room. And I just have some questions about my choice.

I have settled on the HW-30 for various reasons. (1. Input lag, 2. Good all around projector, 3. Minimal 3d ghosting.) I at first was really stoked to try out the Epson 5010, but after seeing the reports on its input lag, I just cannot pull the trigger because I really need high response time for my 360 (I suck enough at FPS already, don't need help). I was really interested in the JVC native contrast, but the previous point threw that one out as well.

So I ran the numbers on the HW-30 from here http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sony-VPL-HW30AES-projection-calculator-pro.htm for a 120" screen with zoom set to within top 10% of available zoom range (1-1.5 = 1.45) as I have read you don't want to get to close to either side of the range. By setting the zoom up I get extra ftL out of the setup which is what I want and I have freedom in my projector placement so this is ok for me. By that calculator I am getting 15ftL with a 1 gain screen.

My question is this. Should I be concerned about this measurement for 3d viewing? I am new to projectors, and I have read that 15ftL is ideal. So the way I see it I am starting at the ideal range already for 2d, but when you project in 3d the lumens go down quite a bit not to mention the bulb decreases in strength from the get go. I understand that a higher gain screen can help boost this, but is this something I should do? I have also read that keeping your gain low around .8 helps with black levels which are important to me. But I have also read that a higher gain screen can cause hotspots, but at the same time might help with ftL.

Any general information would help me. My thoughts are that given my purchase, screen size and flexibility of projector position are set the only thing left to tweak would be the gain of the screen. What would you guys recommend?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-05-2012, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I should also mention I threw out DLP because of RBE, but this was tough because DLP projectors naturally for whatever reason seem to have low input lag. I have thought about a dual setup (game/2d and 3d), but I just don't want the hassle and price.

My front to back wall is 17'5" with viewers at around 11'-16'5". The calculator shows my throw distance at 12'8".
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw30es 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page