PANASONIC PT-RZ470 vs Panasonic AE7000U/AE8000U - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 08-10-2012, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I realize it may be a few months early for this question, but do you think the cost savings of a laser projector not needing a "lamp" replacement for 20000 hours vs 2000 hours for your typical projector is worth the jump in price. I will have a 16x12 room with a ~120" AT 2.39:1 screen in a completely light controlled room that is used for 80% movies, 15% streaming hulu/Netflix, and 5% gaming. I should finish construction and be setting up and buying actual equipment in 6 months or so. My budget for a projector will be around $3000-$4000. If the life cost of the laser projector is lower I may be able to convince the wife to up the budget.

There is no such thing as death. Life is but a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-10-2012, 03:11 PM

Liked: 14
I would say that lamp cost is part of the equation but there are other factors (in my opinion) that are more important or should at least be considered. It all depends on what your objective is Movies? TV? Gaming? etc. Performance of the projector for your given needs is the most important (in my opinion) factor to weight.

If that projector uses a standard bulb, so be it.
If that is Laser, so be it.

The only caveat would be if a given projector has chronic issues with lamps that fail prematurely and you need to replace every few months, then the cost can add up. I haven't heard or read about that with the Panny projectors.

The way I see it is that the technology is changing so rapidly that I will probably upgrade every few years anyway, and a 2000 - 4000 hr bulb would fit the bill.
post #3 of 12 Old 08-14-2012, 09:22 AM

Liked: 15
Does Panasonic AE7000U support scope (2.35:1) viewing?

Thanks
post #4 of 12 Old 08-15-2012, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosdude View Post

Does Panasonic AE7000U support scope (2.35:1) viewing?
Thanks

Yes - Panasonic was the first company (a few years ago) to offer lens memory for handling multiple aspect ratios. The AE7000U has this feature (as should the upcoming AE8000U).

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #5 of 12 Old 08-15-2012, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think there is at least one other considerations - light dimming over time.

This is THE biggest problem for me and standard front projection systems. The picture is great for the first few months, and then gets dimmer, and dimmer.. then you replace the bulb and its bright again.. then it dims..

My understanding of LED technology is that the light remains constant over the 20,000.

To me that is a MASSIVE difference.

Also, no warm up period (as least that is what I have heard). Turning the PJ on for only a few minutes and then off again won't wear out the bulb.. These are minor advantages, to be sure, but I think all told if the picture quality is any where near what i have seen on DLP and SXRD/LCOS systems, then unless it is cost prohibitive, the LED Projectors are very exciting to me.

I saw a post that talked about the cost difference. I am not aware of any pricing info on the Panasonic LED projector.. Has one been announced??

You are born with a gift. Life is all about understanding, nurturing and sharing it.

http://www.ofmindandspirit.com
post #6 of 12 Old 08-16-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
to early to tell there is not really one out there compareable but I supect in about 3 years if they can get the technology bright enought it will be better.

Jason
Note: Any posts are of my personal opinions and not to reflect upon any business.

Jason@programmergeek.com

908 578-6466

post #7 of 12 Old 08-16-2012, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 107
We shouldn't get too excited about the PANASONIC PT-RZ470 because (1) it is being sold as a business projector and may not be well suited for a home theater application where color and grey scale accuracy are more important than for bussiness projectors (2) the price has not yet been announced. (perhaps Panasonic has a home theater version in the works, but I have seen nothing specific to indicate they do)

Certainly having a laser and/or LED light source can be attractive as far as the life and stability of the light source is concered. However, would your still jump on the laser/LED bandwagon:

1. if the calibrated lumens output were only (for example) half as much as from a quality lamp based projectors selling in the same price range?

2. if the laser/LED light module does fail after the warranty period and the cost to replace it is perhaps 50% the cost of a new projector?

3. if the initial cost of the projector is perhaps 1.5 to 2 times the price of a similar performing lamp based projector?

I'm not claiming the 3 above conditions are true. Rather these are just factors we really need to understand before deciding it's time to make the switch to a non-lamp based projector.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #8 of 12 Old 08-18-2012, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Right now I am leaning towards getting the Panasonic AE8000U because it will fit my budget better and once calibrated the lumens output will work well in my setting. I am still very interested in the LED/Laser technology, despite it's limited or not existent availability in my price range and desired feature set. Since I am not purchasing until around March of next year (unless some great deal comes around during the holidays or CEDIA 2012. Panasonic's PT-RZ470 should be out early next year, so perhaps enough info on price, picture quality, and real world lumen output will be available to make a more informed decision. This will be my first projector. I'd like to get it right or at least as close to right as possible for my set up.

Does anyone know of LED/laser home theater projectors out there that are under or at least near the $5000 price range? 3D is nice but not a deal breaker.

There is no such thing as death. Life is but a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves.

post #9 of 12 Old 08-18-2012, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
No way you'll find a good quality led/laser pj @ $5k yet (IMHO).

You can get one right now, but for $28K (TOP quality atm).

To me those toys will be viable only after 2015.

[]s,
Fernando
post #10 of 12 Old 08-18-2012, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradius2 View Post

No way you'll find a good quality led/laser pj @ $5k yet (IMHO).
You can get one right now, but for $28K (TOP quality atm).
To me those toys will be viable only after 2015.

So what you are saying is I need to win the lottery. Lamp based it is then and when I upgrade in a few years we can have this conversation again.

post #11 of 12 Old 09-16-2012, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
any new info for the PANASONIC PT-RZ470?
post #12 of 12 Old 03-31-2013, 01:53 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryep View Post

any new info for the PANASONIC PT-RZ470?

its out for $3,699.00
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/439566.html
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Replacement Lamp For Pt Ae7000u
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page