JVC DLA-RS48 / DLA X55 projector with 3D RF glasses and E-shift CEDIA 2012 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 795 Old 10-15-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I spent a lot of time trying to fix and troubleshoot a blue hue issue that my RS55 exhibits.

Geof
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 795 Old 10-15-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 139
My green and red were slightly over-saturated (a tiny bit) on the RS-45. The blue luminance is always wrong too, and I think some of the hues were also off a bit.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #183 of 795 Old 10-15-2012, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post

Yeah it qualifies you in that case as a fellow projector owner.....as should have thought it through better before throwing out a "JVC fan boy" blast seeming to enjoy our angst once again over JVC lumens, and being on the pre-order list to plunk down good money again for a new machine. Odd sense of humor if that's not what it was.

Nicely said Ron!

Like walking into a bar (because you're over 21), and saying to everyone, "How's it goin' all you F'n A-holes!?). Your reception will be a bit mixed me think. rolleyes.gif

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Richter Family 3D Theater  

post #184 of 795 Old 10-15-2012, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

There does appear to be some nerd anger from the fan girls at times (only kidding).
Actually this forum tends to be more civil lately than before, I think people got tired of fighting (at least for a few more weeks until the PJ's hit the streets again in mass).

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #185 of 795 Old 10-15-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

This is true Mark, but we don't watch projectors on here, we only measure them so the difference is important. wink.gif

And that there is your post of the day (as truer words were never spoken about us "fan boys")!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post

I spent a lot of time trying to fix and troubleshoot a blue hue issue that my RS55 exhibits.

Uhhh... don't you mean Purple? biggrin.gif

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Richter Family 3D Theater  

post #186 of 795 Old 10-15-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

There does appear to be some nerd anger from the fan girls at times (only kidding).
Actually this forum tends to be more civil lately than before, I think people got tired of fighting (at least for a few more weeks until the PJ's hit the streets again in mass).

And just what the hell did you mean by that? rolleyes.gif

I keed I keed biggrin.gif
post #187 of 795 Old 10-17-2012, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Question to zombie10k,

When will you get your hands on the X55 for the shootout you`re planning & will you only make the shootout against the HW50 or will there be other PJs as well?

Personally, i would love to see the X55 vs VW95 and also X55 vs X30/X35 for the e-shift functionality.

Really looking forward to see your mini shootout smile.gif
post #188 of 795 Old 10-17-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post

Question to zombie10k,

When will you get your hands on the X55 for the shootout you`re planning & will you only make the shootout against the HW50 or will there be other PJs as well?

Personally, i would love to see the X55 vs VW95 and also X55 vs X30/X35 for the e-shift functionality.

Really looking forward to see your mini shootout smile.gif

Hi, we won't see the JVC's until they are in final release which should be in early December. We should have comparisons of the HW50, RS55, BQ W7000, Epson 5020 and several of the new JVC's as well.

I am a fan of the e-shift 1 on the RS55 with my relatively large sized 142" 16:9 screen. I sit closer than most at @ 1.25 screen widths or 14". This is very unforgiving when it comes to detail and clarity of the picture quality. The e-shift does a great job increasing the pixel density and also applying it's own sharpening process as well. Based on Cine4home's comments about e-shift2 improvements, I'm looking forward to see this in person.

My main interest is a deep dive comparison between e-shift (1 and 2), Sony's RC's, Epson's sharpening process and also the Darbee device as well. We'll start with the HW50 and RS55 when it arrives soon. We'll start 3" from the screen with closeups and work our way back to seating position so folks can get a basic idea of what each process is doing to the image.

of course the infamous 3D tests will be done as well. cool.gif
post #189 of 795 Old 10-17-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Hey Jason I'm curious about how the eShift2 on your new RS56 would look and compare to a Sim2 Lumis. Can you pick up one of those too and let us know? wink.gifbiggrin.gif
post #190 of 795 Old 10-17-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually, he probably could get one for a review eventually (maybe!). I know the general techniques on how to approach the MFR's to become a reviewer, but getting one of the Sim's is probably harder than cheaper projectors. The problem is they kind of want you to have a site as well. I was going to try to get Zombie a Wordpress site built and see if he wanted some of the MFR's to send him direct review units so he has a wider comparison range (Optomas, new LED's, etc...). I am probably starting a new and somewhat intense job, so I have doubts I can do it now. Projectors are my passion and I would love to have such a site, for some of us AVS'rs to get official review units. Maybe after I feel more comfortable on my new schedule. He could probably use a general Wordpress template and do it himself as well, but just like me he has a regular job to tend to.

post #191 of 795 Old 10-17-2012, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
So basically everyone chips in for coder and zombie to do this lol :P
post #192 of 795 Old 10-17-2012, 10:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 153
It's actually not as easy as one might think to get 'no cost' review units, especially for a start-up with no history. You might get one or two companies on board, if you're lucky, but the odd's of having all of them jump on board would be slim to none. I have talked with people that have gone through this and it's no easy task but best of luck to any that venture down that path, just be sure you have the technical experience and knowledge to back it up. wink.gif

Jason
post #193 of 795 Old 10-17-2012, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

It has minimally to do with technical knowledge, if it did then the manufacturers would need to take these units out of the hands of most of these reviewers. That is not the hard part for people like Zombie, he is a better reviewer than most of these online people (and his writing is very precise and well formed). T

It's actually fairly easy to get review units, if you know how to properly request it in a business sense (getting them early is another story). Just because someone is in this industry does not make them special or a big fry.

post #194 of 795 Old 10-17-2012, 11:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Obviously we are way OT here but...

Well what you describe is far from what has been described to me from people that were actually involved in the industry. One of them was even a licensed dealer that still could not convince some of them to release review/demo units at no cost to him (they wanted the units paid for until returned). The other person that I spoke with stated a few companies would send him review units as long as he covered shipping both ways (which he stated he was not interested in doing unless he had a full custom install job and the customer wanted to demo a few different models).

But as I said best of luck to anyone that attempts to do so.

Jason
post #195 of 795 Old 10-17-2012, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

AVS is already supplying Zombie with most units anyhow. I was just saying to get some of the other lesser known units (and those are the easiest ones to get, because those are the ones that want the free marketing the most). They don't want to give samples out to a dealer trying to sell a few projectors on some side business, they want established dealers (like AVS) or someone with a mass media outlet like a web site, youtube, advertising, etc... Few will turn down free marketing if you know what to say. Not getting the units because of shipping costs, well if anyone is hurting that much, then they need to be saving up money first (because if someone cannot even afford shipping then they should first be working at getting a better job instead of reviewing projectors, and that's not meant as an insult). Seriously though, shipping costs is peanuts in the grand scheme of things and it's a write off. The labor involved (how you value your time) is where the cost is, not the external costs which are under $10,000 (peanuts for a biz venture, barrier to entry almost non-existent in this). An expensive business venture is more like $500,000 to 2 million where the barrier to entry makes competition less stiff, reviews are so competitive because the entry cost is so low (which is why there is very little money in it presumably).
Quote:
(they wanted the units paid for until returned)
Some of of them want them paid, but how is that an issue?
Any of us considering doing this don't care if we have to pay as long as we can return it. Your loss is some temporary miniscule percentage of interest on any money that is held, and if they refuse to credit the card back you just chargeback on them after sending it back UPS.

post #196 of 795 Old 10-17-2012, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok somewhat On topic..

Was thinking of going with a HP perm wall screen and just making my own custom framing for it.. The difference in price between the Perm wall and Contour is like 700 bucks almost
post #197 of 795 Old 10-18-2012, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121 View Post

Ok somewhat On topic..
Was thinking of going with a HP perm wall screen and just making my own custom framing for it.. The difference in price between the Perm wall and Contour is like 700 bucks almost

I was going to do the same. Since the perm wall has to be basically screwed permanently into the wall, I was going to screw it into a frame and put velvet around the frame. Sounds easy enough to do, but I went with an electric screen instead
post #198 of 795 Old 10-18-2012, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

I was going to do the same. Since the perm wall has to be basically screwed permanently into the wall, I was going to screw it into a frame and put velvet around the frame. Sounds easy enough to do, but I went with an electric screen instead

I mean depending on my size I would save almost $1,000.00 bucks if I went with a permwall and built a frame myself. I mean I will be getting the same HP screen as any other one is there any other disadvantages besides the outer frame?

Im thinking of either going 119 inches or 133 inches.. 133 is going to make it hard to put a frame around though.. I will be mounting the projector at around 18 feet back and will be sitting around 10-12 feet back
post #199 of 795 Old 10-18-2012, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I mean depending on my size I would save almost $1,000.00 bucks if I went with a permwall and built a frame myself. I mean I will be getting the same HP screen as any other one is there any other disadvantages besides the outer frame?
Im thinking of either going 119 inches or 133 inches.. 133 is going to make it hard to put a frame around though.. I will be mounting the projector at around 18 feet back and will be sitting around 10-12 feet back

Itsthe same material, so it would be too bad. I don't think the frame will be too hard to make. I made masking panels and it was very simple. I just went to home depot and picked my boards out and they measure and cut then for free. I went to JoAnne fabric for velvet material. All together, I think I spent $40
post #200 of 795 Old 10-18-2012, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice sounds cheap..

Did you go 16:9 or 2:35? Any pics of your setup?
post #201 of 795 Old 10-18-2012, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
post #202 of 795 Old 10-18-2012, 01:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nice sounds cheap..

Go 2.35 if you can wing it, but I was even considering a motorized screen to have both (or just using a 2.35 fixed with a smaller screen that drops in front), but then you also want to build some outer masking for that to cover up the extra white area still showing maybe.

post #203 of 795 Old 10-18-2012, 01:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nice sounds cheap..

When I did the panels, I had a 16:9 screen and masked it with panels for 2.35. I'm sure if you went the 16:9 route, you can easily make some velvet panels for really cheap. $20 if you get some of the lightest cheapest ply would and cover them with velvet like I did. I just placed then on the frame, and it was that easy. I got the idea from SMX, they have velvet panels to go with their screens for about $500. I did the same thing for a fraction of the cost.
post #204 of 795 Old 10-18-2012, 01:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Go 2.35 if you can wing it, but I was even considering a motorized screen to have both (or just using a 2.35 fixed with a smaller screen that drops in front), but then you also want to build some outer masking for that to cover up the extra white area still showing maybe.

I will be doing a lot of gaming on it though as well. So I think 16: 9 would be a better choice. I lose 4 inches wide but gain 10 inches in height.

I have a sofet on the top left if the room
post #205 of 795 Old 10-18-2012, 01:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

When I did the panels, I had a 16:9 screen and masked it with panels for 2.35. I'm sure if you went the 16:9 route, you can easily make some velvet panels for really cheap. $20 if you get some of the lightest cheapest ply would and cover them with velvet like I did. I just placed then on the frame, and it was that easy. I got the idea from SMX, they have velvet panels to go with their screens for about $500. I did the same thing for a fraction of the cost.

So you just put the panels on when needed for 2:35? How did you get them to stay on the wall Velcro ?
post #206 of 795 Old 10-18-2012, 01:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

Ok somewhat On topic..

That's why I was thinking of just getting the pull-down version of the HP, though a framed screen looks so much better.

Also, the Cinema Contour provides some tension, albeit using a method you could probably emulate yourself were you to make a frame (it seems to just have a mounting bracket the pushes down on the bottom of the frame, as I understand it).

I have an older damaged 110" High Contrast HP screen from a kind AVS forum member, & I must say-- I'm rather scared to handle this thick material... any time you try to pick it up, it starts folding in other areas b/c it's quite rigid (unlike, say, 1.1 gain Elite matte white fabric... which really just handles like fabric). In other words, it doesn't handle like thin smooth fabric. And I start putting folds in it just trying to handle it.

Are you confident you can handle the HP material without folding it/ruining it?

That's another reason I was thinking of just going for the Model C pulldown...
post #207 of 795 Old 10-18-2012, 01:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarangiman View Post

That's why I was thinking of just getting the pull-down version of the HP, though a framed screen looks so much better.
Also, the Cinema Contour provides some tension, albeit using a method you could probably emulate yourself were you to make a frame (it seems to just have a mounting bracket the pushes down on the bottom of the frame, as I understand it).
I have an older damaged 110" High Contrast HP screen from a kind AVS forum member, & I must say-- I'm rather scared to handle this thick material... any time you try to pick it up, it starts folding in other areas b/c it's quite rigid (unlike, say, 1.1 gain Elite matte white fabric... which really just handles like fabric). In other words, it doesn't handle like thin smooth fabric. And I start putting folds in it just trying to handle it.
Are you confident you can handle the HP material without folding it/ruining it?
That's another reason I was thinking of just going for the Model C pulldown...

Well I am not mounting just the material myself. I am going to get the perm wall .. It just snaps on in the front. I can have someone help me roll it out and put it up. The frame I plan on building is just for looks. I will build it around the actual screen to give it that somewhat cinema contour look
post #208 of 795 Old 10-18-2012, 01:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Post it up in the screen forums when your done and PM me the image link so I can check it out. I should make a note to go look at people's screen setups more often so I can decide what I should do eventually as well.

I have at least another 3-6 months before buying a new screen and/or projector though, probably going to wait for the B-stocks so I can stretch the dollar farther. I've also gotta decide on furniture and all that since I'm going with a complete re-design soon. OK we are getting off topic now (should be in screen forums). Point being, all black is the best, but it is also a bit depressing, gotta find the right design medium that still maximizes contrast but does not look depressing (and doesn't cost 300,000 to do it).

post #209 of 795 Old 10-18-2012, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Post it up in the screen forums when your done and PM me the image link so I can check it out. I should make a note to go look at people's screen setups more often so I can decide what I should do eventually as well.
I have at least another 3-6 months before buying a new screen and/or projector though, probably going to wait for the B-stocks so I can stretch the dollar farther. I've also gotta decide on furniture and all that since I'm going with a complete re-design soon. OK we are getting off topic now (should be in screen forums). Point being, all black is the best, but it is also a bit depressing, gotta find the right design medium that still maximizes contrast but does not look depressing (and doesn't cost 300,000 to do it).

Will do I got a mess down there right now. I plan on ordering the screen probably tommorow.
post #210 of 795 Old 10-18-2012, 02:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So you just put the panels on when needed for 2:35? How did you get them to stay on the wall Velcro ?

The panel actually fitted perfectly on the frame with no problem. I thought it wouldn't, but i got lucky. Now i just raise my electric screen up on cinemascope movies.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs48 D Ila Projector , Jvc Dla X70 Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page