JVC DLA-RS48 / DLA X55 projector with 3D RF glasses and E-shift CEDIA 2012 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 795 Old 08-11-2012, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 78
JVC will add a fourth projector to a former line of 3 new models :

http://www.cinemotion.biz/n-1-1242/JVC-DLA-X35-DLA-X55-DLA-X75-et-DLA-X95.htm

This entry model will have E-shift wobulation and also the 3D RF glasses.

Visit the new pjhc.fr forum here : http://www.projection-homecinema.fr/forum/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 795 Old 08-11-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I wonder how this compares to the RS55/ X70
post #3 of 795 Old 08-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

I wonder how this compares to the RS55/ X70

Same here. Hopefully it will have noticeably blacker blacks. I'm a black level fanatic and always like to see improvements in that aspect! biggrin.gif Although, what I'd like to see even more is a good improvement in 3D. JVC's competition has the edge so far in 3D and JVC really needs to get closer to the competition. No excuses anymore. I wonder how the change to RF on the 3D glasses will make any improvements?

Update: I was actually talking about the upcoming X75 and not the X55. I'm hoping the X55 will have the same performance as the X70. If it has, then it will be a nice deal since it will definitely be cheaper than the X70. I don't know if the X55 will have a CMS though. I doubt it.
post #4 of 795 Old 08-11-2012, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Slightly brighter and slightly more CR, in that case black levels should remain the same. No mention of any new light source or if the 2 higher end models will accept true 4k inputs, better optics on the two top models may offer a clue?.....but if they are using e-shift, 4k resolving optics would be a waste, perhaps they mean better 2k optics, more precise lens memory too?

Was hoping for laser light source......perhaps next time.

Not long now!

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
post #5 of 795 Old 08-11-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting with the model designations, could JVC be extending their product cycle to 3 years? We've had the X9, then the X90 now the X95, all basically the same chassis with incremental improvements.....could be in these economic times.

Perhaps the major leap will be announced in September 2013.

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
post #6 of 795 Old 08-11-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Same here. Hopefully it will have noticeably blacker blacks. I'm a black level fanatic and always like to see improvements in that aspect! Although, what I'd like to see even more is a good improvement in 3D. JVC's competition has the edge so far in 3D and JVC really needs to get closer to the competition. No excuses anymore. I wonder how the change to RF on the 3D glasses will make any improvements?

Agreed! I love JVC and the RS2 has done nothing but impress me every time I watch it... but the 3D performance of the newer models doesn't match the competition in terms of brightness and price.
I'd like to see active shutter set aside, but not fall back on polarized passive either. I'd like for consumer home 3D machines to incorporate a passive technology like the Dolby method or something similar that relies on passive means using color-spectrum filters etc. that can work with any screen and still provide great color fidelity, brightness, and mimized cross-talk. It's so obvious as an ideal solution quality-wise... and it would seem easy to design from a product point of view. Why are the manufacturers thinking along those lines.

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
post #7 of 795 Old 08-11-2012, 07:23 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post

Agreed! I love JVC and the RS2 has done nothing but impress me every time I watch it... but the 3D performance of the newer models doesn't match the competition in terms of brightness and price.
I'd like to see active shutter set aside, but not fall back on polarized passive either. I'd like for consumer home 3D machines to incorporate a passive technology like the Dolby method or something similar that relies on passive means using color-spectrum filters etc. that can work with any screen and still provide great color fidelity, brightness, and mimized cross-talk. It's so obvious as an ideal solution quality-wise... and it would seem easy to design from a product point of view. Why are the manufacturers thinking along those lines.

The biggest problem with the JVCs as far as 3d goes is ghosting. Flicker is also something that will drive you nuts if your are sensitive to it. I had the 40 and went to the 45 and I am almost completely turned off with 3d at this point on the JVCs due to ghosting and flicker alone. Really hope they can make some REAL improvements in 3d this year, including CMD access......last year was a total joke with the completely useless "crosstalk canceler". We need real improvements since the competition has passed JVC by in this area.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #8 of 795 Old 08-11-2012, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Estimate $4999 or so, I think I've found the projector for my new HT! wink.gif Now I only hope it'll be available in early Nov. rather than late or early Dec. like last year....
post #9 of 795 Old 08-11-2012, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Laser for HT needs will be something pos-2015 for sure.

The report indeed says 3D is going to be better on those new models (isn't only RF stuff).

[]s,
Fernando
post #10 of 795 Old 08-12-2012, 08:56 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradius2 View Post

Laser for HT needs will be something pos-2015 for sure.
The report indeed says 3D is going to be better on those new models (isn't only RF stuff).

They said the 3d would be better last year and it was not. Some even experienced more ghosting on last years models vs first gen. Like I mentioned above, we need REAL 3d improvements which may or may not happen. I am certainly NOT going to get my hopes up off JVC marketing jargon. We wont know for sure until we can get some good hands on tests from those who know how to thouroughly test this like Zombie.

For anyone going to Cedia, bring a copy of Giants of Patagonia and when JVC starts touting improved 3d! ask them to cue up Patagonia for you starting at about 6.5 minutes in and lets see how much improvement we really have.....tongue.gif
damnsam77 likes this.

post #11 of 795 Old 08-12-2012, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

They said the 3d would be better last year and it was not. Some even experienced more ghosting on last years models vs first gen. Like I mentioned above, we need REAL 3d improvements which may or may not happen. I am certainly NOT going to get my hopes up off JVC marketing jargon. We wont know for sure until we can get some good hands on tests from those who know how to thouroughly test this like Zombie.
For anyone going to Cedia, bring a copy of Giants of Patagonia and when JVC starts touting improved 3d! ask them to cue up Patagonia for you starting at about 6.5 minutes in and lets see how much improvement we really have.....tongue.gif

Wow giants of pantagonia is really that bad on the current jvcs huh? smile.gif. Yeah I'm only trusting the ppl here at avs when in comes to these matters. Zombie is like the master of projector testing. Hopefully he will obtain one of the upcoming jvcs for testing!
post #12 of 795 Old 08-12-2012, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:

that scene is about as tough as it gets, we'd know in about 30 seconds how it peforms. cool.gif
post #13 of 795 Old 08-12-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Well, I'm sure I'll get flack for my JVC bashing, but if it saves some poor soul from being YAJLBT (Yet Another JVC Lamp Beta Tester), then I've done my part in helping a fellow enthusiast. I got tired of the JVC lamp issues, the need for frequent calibrations, and poor 3D (flicker, ghosting, dim). I ended up dumping my RS40 at a loss. Yes, the JVCs have great black floor and shadow detail and produce a great 2D picture for the price. I know since I've owned three generations of them. If you don't care about 3D, mind calibrating often, or holding your breath hoping their latest lamp lasts past 400 hours, then by all means buy one. However, the competition is almost as good in the 2D department and better at 3D.

If the new crop of JVCs coming out at the end of the year have fix these issues, great, but I doubt it. They lost me as a loyal customer. I won't consider another JVC again until they move to real 4K, LED/Lasers, and produce great 3D. Until then, I'll enjoy my Epson and wait, with my eye on Red.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

post #14 of 795 Old 08-12-2012, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:

I see... the JVC's marketing team is blind! rolleyes.gif

RED looks great at start, however they always have issues in announce a real release date to the public.

[]s,
Fernando
post #15 of 795 Old 08-12-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

Estimate $4999 or so, I think I've found the projector for my new HT! wink.gif Now I only hope it'll be available in early Nov. rather than late or early Dec. like last year....

Last year was normal delivery time. The year before was a lot later.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #16 of 795 Old 08-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradius2 View Post

I see... the JVC's marketing team is blind! rolleyes.gif
RED looks great at start, however they always have issues in announce a real release date to the public.

The point is you sure as hell cant believe everything you read and until we get some actual hands on testing we should not get to excited or set our expectations to high. I hope JVC has made REAL improvements in 3d since I would LOVE to stick with just one projector and I love my 45 for 2d (besides gaming), but honestly I am not that optimistic, especially if they are using the same 120hz panels which remains to be seen.

Here is my personal wish list for this years JVCs none of which will probably happen...........tongue.gif

-SIGNIFICANT improvements in ghosting and flicker
-Better 3d brightness
-Game mode to cut down on the high lag time
-More refined lens memory to get it totally accurate
-Enough masking support to properly mask variable aspect films on CIH screens when the frame opens from 2.40 to 1.78
-FI available in 3d
-Better and more reliable lamp

Of course going to lamp free in the form of laser/led would be awesome, but that is going to take a bit longer I would think.

I am ready once again to dump my 45 for the new model, but only if there is good reason to do so. If we are basically just getting a rehash, then I will either look to the competition if I can find something that will work in my setup, or just add a BenQ for 3d.

post #17 of 795 Old 08-12-2012, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

Here is my personal wish list for this years JVCs none of which will probably happen...........tongue.gif
-Better 3d brightness
-FI available in 3d
...I am ready once again to dump my 45 for the new model, but only if there is good reason to do so. If we are basically just getting a rehash, then I will either look to the competition if I can find something that will work in my setup...

These are my thoughts as well. I also want blacker blacks but I'm starting to get the feeling that this just isn't going to happen until a new technology comes around. At least enough difference in black levels that's readily noticeable.
post #18 of 795 Old 08-12-2012, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The point is you sure as hell cant believe everything you read and until we get some actual hands on testing we should not get to excited or set our expectations to high. I hope JVC has made REAL improvements in 3d since I would LOVE to stick with just one projector and I love my 45 for 2d (besides gaming), but honestly I am not that optimistic, especially if they are using the same 120hz panels which remains to be seen.
-Better 3d brightness
-Game mode to cut down on the high lag time
-More refined lens memory to get it totally accurate
-Enough masking support to properly mask variable aspect films on CIH screens when the frame opens from 2.40 to 1.78
-FI available in 3d
Of course going to lamp free in the form of laser/led would be awesome, but that is going to take a bit longer I would think.
I am ready once again to dump my 45 for the new model, but only if there is good reason to do so. If we are basically just getting a rehash, then I will either look to the competition if I can find something that will work in my setup, or just add a BenQ for 3d.

For me coming from a RS40 and RS55, the Benq W7000 is the best 2nd projector in a 2 projector set up. I don't use it with my HP screen because I don't have enough throw distance, but its really bright, at 175hrs, its 1350 lumens in eco mode. Having the JVC just make u not appreciate 3D, I always said I could do without it. The 3D is so real and smooth on the w7000. With the JVC I always had eye fatigue and it was hard to stay awake, but with the w7000 I never have any problems watching it. The 3D is just awesome. Can't wait to add the new JVC model to my theater tho
post #19 of 795 Old 08-12-2012, 09:10 PM

Liked: 20
Could someone translate the material linked and relink it in English? My Greek is weak (I know it isn't Greek but it might as well be!)
post #20 of 795 Old 08-12-2012, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

post #21 of 795 Old 08-13-2012, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Can someone tell me what's the benefit by going with RF 3D glasses
post #22 of 795 Old 08-13-2012, 07:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

Can someone tell me what's the benefit by going with RF 3D glasses

Does not require line of sight or bouncing signal off of screen. For a larger HT this becomes more important.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #23 of 795 Old 08-13-2012, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Does not require line of sight or bouncing signal off of screen. For a larger HT this becomes more important.

Ok, thanks
post #24 of 795 Old 08-13-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highjinx View Post

Slightly brighter and slightly more CR, in that case black levels should remain the same. No mention of any new light source or if the 2 higher end models will accept true 4k inputs, better optics on the two top models may offer a clue?.....but if they are using e-shift, 4k resolving optics would be a waste, perhaps they mean better 2k optics, more precise lens memory too?
Was hoping for laser light source......perhaps next time.
Not long now!
I don't know but when they talk about new re optics, it would appear that what they are referring to is the e-shift technology. That is new technology but new last year rather than this year, but perhaps I am reading it wrong.
post #25 of 795 Old 08-14-2012, 02:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

I don't know but when they talk about new re optics, it would appear that what they are referring to is the e-shift technology. That is new technology but new last year rather than this year. but perhaps I am reading it wrong.

Could be. It would seem, by the model numbers these units are the same as last two years chassis, with minor improvments, rather than a whole new projector as JVC has been doing since the RS1/HD-1 days ( a new chassis every 2years ), can anyone confirm that the new series are a completely new chassis?

post #26 of 795 Old 08-14-2012, 06:06 AM

Designing and switching to a new ground up chasis is very expensive. I've heard the costs of a chasis switch would be near one half million from another projector manufacturer. One would need a really good reason to eat this expense without having a real good reason. If the same chasis are used again and assuming cost recoupment over the two year chasis life, using its desgin for free in the third year could result in a MSRP lowering. There is intense price pressure from one manufacturer to another so if I were in charge, I might ask can we make it better on the same chasis and then can we price it cheaper because of the chasis cost savings?
post #27 of 795 Old 08-14-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 38
With this announcement should drop the 2011 models in price a little bit i would think
post #28 of 795 Old 08-14-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Just a FYI - JVC is having a news conference at 8am at the Marriott (across the street from the Indy convention center) on Thurday, Sept. 6th, just before the opening of the trade show at CEDIA. Its only open to those with a CEDIA press pass. I plan to post a blog at projector reviews that morning as to what news JVC has. Also, Sony's press conference is 5pm Wednesday. Unfortunately, I had hoped to attend the keynote speech at CEDIA that is scheduled for that same time, but it looks like I'll have to miss that to attend Sony's press conf.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #29 of 795 Old 08-14-2012, 10:22 AM

The big Sony news will not be a new projector other than the replacement for the HW30AES, their entry level HT projector. They are of course introducing a bunch of new products but nothing projector wise other than the HW30AES replacement.
post #30 of 795 Old 08-14-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

Designing and switching to a new ground up chasis is very expensive. I've heard the costs of a chasis switch would be near one half million from another projector manufacturer. One would need a really good reason to eat this expense without having a real good reason. If the same chasis are used again and assuming cost recoupment over the two year chasis life, using its desgin for free in the third year could result in a MSRP lowering. There is intense price pressure from one manufacturer to another so if I were in charge, I might ask can we make it better on the same chasis and then can we price it cheaper because of the chasis cost savings?

I like the way you think.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs48 D Ila Projector , Jvc Dla X70 Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page