Epson at CEDIA - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 08-11-2012, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any news if Epson will show new models at CEDIA? I´m interrested if they'll update the iris in their projectors... they had quiet fast ones in their Reflective LCD/LCOS models that were used in the 2010 prototypes but still haven't showed up in the LCD ones... strange. From reading reviews it seems that the loud and slow iris is the biggest con of the projectors.

Birgir "keyser"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-12-2012, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post

Any news if Epson will show new models at CEDIA? I´m interrested if they'll update the iris in their projectors... they had quiet fast ones in their Reflective LCD/LCOS models that were used in the 2010 prototypes but still haven't showed up in the LCD ones... strange. From reading reviews it seems that the loud and slow iris is the biggest con of the projectors.

Last year's CEDIA saw Epson introduce a new generation of 3D capable projectors. While I certain expect Epson to show their new projectors at CEDIA 2012, I would expect refinements to the current generation of projectors, such as adding CFI in 3D mode, but not another new generation of projectors. As for reflective LCD, I suspect that is not in Epson's plans for 2013 models. All just speculation on my part.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #3 of 18 Old 08-12-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
The current crop of Epson's are darn good for the money. They could use FI and auto-iris in 3D. Moving to remote focus and zoom from manual would be a big benefit too and allow for 2.40:1 zooming like the Panasonics and JVCs. Personally, I'd like to see a feature that allows for turning off auto-iris and remotely setting it to different openings like the JVC. That might also make it easier for them to add a Game Mode or improve on their 80ms lag time.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

post #4 of 18 Old 08-12-2012, 12:00 PM

Liked: 20
All that could be put in but not at the current pice point. and its all about maximizing sales and return on the dollar. There would appear to be little incentive do do what you would like.
post #5 of 18 Old 08-12-2012, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
They could add it to the 6010 to greater differentiate it from the 5010. Even if they had to add $1000-1500 to the 6010 price, it would be worth it.
post #6 of 18 Old 08-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post

The current crop of Epson's are darn good for the money. They could use FI and auto-iris in 3D. Moving to remote focus and zoom from manual would be a big benefit too and allow for 2.40:1 zooming like the Panasonics and JVCs. Personally, I'd like to see a feature that allows for turning off auto-iris and remotely setting it to different openings like the JVC. That might also make it easier for them to add a Game Mode or improve on their 80ms lag time.

Get all of that into the 5010 or 6010 replacement and I am in! smile.gif

As far as a gaming mode to cut down the lag, is there any technical limitation/reason why JVC and Epson do not incorporate this or is it just something they have decided not to invest time/resources on? confused.gif

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #7 of 18 Old 08-12-2012, 06:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrevo2u View Post

They could add it to the 6010 to greater differentiate it from the 5010. Even if they had to add $1000-1500 to the 6010 price, it would be worth it.

That would be a drastic change from what Epson has done in the past. There has always been very little difference (few added perks) between the two models.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #8 of 18 Old 08-14-2012, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Shouldn't cost too much to update their iris that they've already designed?

Birgir "keyser"
post #9 of 18 Old 08-14-2012, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

As far as a gaming mode to cut down the lag, is there any technical limitation/reason why JVC and Epson do not incorporate this or is it just something they have decided not to invest time/resources on? confused.gif

I'm curious about this too. Would they they have to make major changes to the panels they currently use, or is this a software issue?
post #10 of 18 Old 08-14-2012, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by phisch View Post

I'm curious about this too. Would they they have to make major changes to the panels they currently use, or is this a software issue?

There is no reason why JVC can't implement a gaming mode to reduce lag. JVC's closest competitor Sony, uses their proprietary SXRD technology which is based on LCOS and they have a gaming mode on both the hw30 and vw95. JVC's proprietary D-ILA technology is also based on LCOS, so it should definitely be possible for JVC to include a gaming mode. Either JVC doesn't care about that or they don't want to implement it because of budget concerns or something...I don't know. The reason, I believe, is certainly not technical. Maybe JVC does need to do some research and development in order to make the panels faster, but even so, it should be possible and JVC should invest their time and money for faster panels in order to improve motion and have a gaming mode. It will attract more customers for sure. I am all for gaming mode. It should be included in all higher end projectors. As for the Epson, I'm not sure but even with their 3LCD technology they should be able to have gaming mode.
post #11 of 18 Old 08-16-2012, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
From the previous threads on Epson lag, it seems to be integral to the new chipset for 3d processing in these projectors. Going to depend on cost to engineer the lag out vs. sales expectations. If they can sell them all 'as is', there is no incentive to fix and the gaming marking using front projection systems is relatively small.
post #12 of 18 Old 08-17-2012, 02:47 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartMan01 View Post

the gaming marking using front projection systems is relatively small.
Just curious, what statistics have you seen on this? From what I've read, 56% of U.S. households own an XBox 360, PS3 or Wii, and 72% of U.S. households play video games of some sort.

Certainly not all FPs will be used by the gamers in the house, but it seems to me that with a potential market that huge, FP gaming performance should be a very high priority.
post #13 of 18 Old 08-17-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Agree on the FPS games.. Most of the highest selling games are FPS so that should be in consideration
post #14 of 18 Old 08-22-2012, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Do you guys expect replacements for the 3010/5010/6010 this autumn????
post #15 of 18 Old 08-22-2012, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post

Do you guys expect replacements for the 3010/5010/6010 this autumn????

Epson is expected to announce their new models at the CEDIA show that starts in two weeks from now. In recent years their new projectors have started shipping to dealers late in the year.

Ron Jones
post #16 of 18 Old 08-23-2012, 01:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

Epson is expected to announce their new models at the CEDIA show that starts in two weeks from now. In recent years their new projectors have started shipping to dealers late in the year.

I saw earlier post about "epson blackout" - I do not know how to interpret this - as "we have nothing really new to show you..." or as in "our new product is so much better that it will be hard to sell the current" :-D

I am actually about to pull the trigger on the 5010/TW9000W - unless something notably better is annonced at IFA/CEDIA..
post #17 of 18 Old 08-23-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post

I saw earlier post about "epson blackout" - I do not know how to interpret this - as "we have nothing really new to show you..." or as in "our new product is so much better that it will be hard to sell the current" :-D
I am actually about to pull the trigger on the 5010/TW9000W - unless something notably better is annonced at IFA/CEDIA..

I would assume the "blackout" means not letting any info leak out until the official Epson announcement. Epson has a booth at CEDIA and I assume they will officially introduce their new US models there (and perhaps equivalent European models a week earlier at IFA).

Ron Jones
post #18 of 18 Old 08-23-2012, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Miller View Post

Just curious, what statistics have you seen on this? From what I've read, 56% of U.S. households own an XBox 360, PS3 or Wii, and 72% of U.S. households play video games of some sort.
Certainly not all FPs will be used by the gamers in the house, but it seems to me that with a potential market that huge, FP gaming performance should be a very high priority.

I totally agree. I think the real question isn't how many gamers own projectors (which would be an extremely small percentage), but how many projector owners play games. I would say up to 50% of projector owners like to play games as well as watch movies, regardless of the time ratio spent between the 2.

On a side note, I believe the processor they are using may be a real hurdle for the gaming aspect. Some processors are better than others, but can be slower or laggier. A game mode usually just turns off all processing like noise reduction, motion enhancement, etc. The user can really just go into the menu and manually turn of every aspect of additional processing that might be happening, and that would be equivalent to what they are giving you in "game mode"...basically just a short cut to 'all processing off'. At that point, the hardware is where the bottleneck would be IMO.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page