Sim2 Broke again - Epson or JVC? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-13-2012, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Well i've had it with all the issues of my Sim2 HT300 E-link. Bought it new in October 2004 and it's been back to Sim2 and the dealer a few times....It is locked up again and says there is a fiber optic error. So I just took the projector down and the processor out of the rack put it in a box and out to the trash next week....although my wife wants to smash it with a shovel!....I might let her for all the frustration it has given her.

So I'm never going to spend Sim2 kind of money again....I've limited myself to $4000ish. I have a installer coming to my house on Monday. He sells the Epson and JVC projectors. He suggests either the Epson 6010 $3500 but says a JVC for $1-2,000 more will have a better more accurate picture.

I'm out of town this week on a business trip and don't have tons of time to research so I'm turning to the more knowledgable folks her on AVS for suggestions.

I never liked the look of football (NFL and College) games in HD through DirecTv on my Sim2. They lacked the deep color, pop that my Pioneer 60" Elite plasma has. I'm hoping for newer technology to help in a more life like brighter and more accurate color picture with a new projector.

Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions! If I can ever return the favor on musical instruments, especially drums and cymbals, 911 (997) Porsche's, track driving or boats....let me know!

thanks, Mike

Mikes Stuff
McIntosh MC207 Amps.........................DarbyVision Darblet
Marantz AV8801 Processor.................Da-Lite Screen
Klipsch Reference Series 7.2................Panasonic BluRay BDT500
Epson Pro 6010 Projector.....................Sony Playstation used for SACD and BluRay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 398
I recently saw the epson and entry level JVC RS45 at a theater store. They both MSRP'd for $3500 but the JVC looked better to my eyes. Deeper looking picture and, surprisingly, the motion looked better to me as well. If you are heavy into 3d, the 5010/6010 are brighter than JVC. AVS is also an excellent value source for the JVC's if you do not use your installer.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Old 08-14-2012, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I agree, talk to AVS. As for my personal preference, I recommend the Epson over the JVC. Comparing an RS45 and 5010, the 2D is close and the 3D is much better and brighter. If you don't need anamorphic stretch features, then the 5010 is definitely cheaper. The 6010 does have a year longer warranty, ceiling mount, two 3D glasses, an extra lamp, and THX and anamorphic software settings. It's also black vs. the white 5010. Otherwise, they're the same projector. I switched from an JVC RS40 to Epson 6010 and am very happy. The 3D is much better (brighter, no flicker, a lot less ghosting) and the 2D is pretty close. I got tired of lamp issues with the JVC.

Also, not sure why you need an installer since you're basically swapping out one projector for another and will save money ordering from AVS and putting it up yourself. You already have power at the projector and probably an HDMI, then again maybe not from 2004, but that shouldn't be hard to run along whatever is currently installed now. However, if you are going with one, get them to show you both before buying one.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear
Old 08-20-2012, 06:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I will say don't sweat what you paid for the Sim2. Yes, it wasn't cheap. But back when that was current, you really had to spend that kind of money to get good performance. It is different now obviously, but I just didn't want you to feel bad about it.

Jason C. Turk
Technical Support, Customer Service, Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
Direct Line: 585-645-1004
Email: jason@avscience.com

Don't forget my nearly 13,000 posts under my old ID!

Old 08-20-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 3 View Post

I will say don't sweat what you paid for the Sim2. Yes, it wasn't cheap. But back when that was current, you really had to spend that kind of money to get good performance. It is different now obviously, but I just didn't want you to feel bad about it.

I have to concur with Jason. Like the song says, "Don't look back, you can never look back." I've "wasted" a lot of money on projector upgrades over the years, but that's the price of staying current. I have always managed to sell mine within a few years and not take a huge loss. However, as these things keep getting cheaper every year, it's getting harder to recoup my money. Projectors tend to depreciate a lot in a short time. Fortunately, from all indications the 2013 models don't look like a huge technology jump, so I've got some time. wink.gif

As I always said, spend the money on quality audio, speakers, screen, seats, source player and other things that will last a long time. It's the projectors that need upgrading due to technological improvements. I always look for the best performance at a certain price point (=best value). Sure, the Sony VPL-1000 produces a fantastic picture, but I like the Qualia before it, you will lose a lot more in depreciation on one than on a HW30. For the last several years, I've found the best value to be the JVCs. However, I'm convinced that the latest platform (RS40/50/60 and RS45/55/65) have lamp issues and the competition has surpass them in 3D, so I switched to an Epson. I expect it will serve me well for a few years until LED/Laser and 4K become the norm.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear
Old 08-20-2012, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for all the reply's. I spoke with AVS today and they suggested a JVC 45. They are the 1st so far the recommend the JVC to me. The installer showroom I visited on Saturday suggested the Epson over VC and Sony and I had a different installer come out that sells JVC, Epson and Panasonic. He suggested the Epson after he saw my room and what I want to be able to do and he also said the 3D on the JVC is very dim and has ghosting issues.

He also said that his distributor says there is a back log of order for Epson 6010 and can't get one until late September and he suggested I go find one on the internet. Pretty honest of the guy to recommend a PJ that he can't get right now and tell me to find it on the internet if I can. This installer has the JVC for PJ but only watches movies in total dark. I'll probably install the PJ myself but I'm having the installer switch around some plasma's and get a new display for another room.

I will be watching 50/50 movies and sports. Probably more sports though. I'd like to keep the rear lights on so we can see each other and eat food during the game. Seems like the Epson is perfect for this..right? JVC is much dimmer I was told and the room has to be perfectly dark. My room is a large dedicated HT room and can get totally dark but I don't like to watch football int he dark with friends.

So now I'm surfing the internet to try and find a Epson 6010 at a decent price. Anyone have any leads? Thanks!!!!! wink.gif Mike

Mikes Stuff
Epson Pro 6010 Projector.....................Sony Playstation used for SACD and BluRay
Old 08-21-2012, 04:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 93
^^^

not an epson OR jvc owner, but...

i don't think (someone correct me if i'm wrong) that the jvc is any "dimmer" than my mitsu hc9000... i have lights on over my seats virtually all the time, up to 300 watts of halogens... not an issue while watching sports for me (which is the majority of my usage)... and i like my images bright... when calibrating, i "break" the 14-16 ftl "rule" by a bunch... redface.gif

i do have a high gain screen (da-lite high power) and reasonably good light control, so it's probable that the screen plays into that a bit... however, i viewed my bd 1.4 screen under the same conditions without issue as well...

this may be a completely worthless post (it wouldn't be my first... redface.gif ), but i figured i'd throw a data point out there...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Old 08-21-2012, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Chris.....a little over my head though...LOL. My screen is a DaLite 106" retractable. I'm not sure of the gain of it right now but I think it is something like a 1 or maybe 1.3....just a regular white screen that was installed back in October 2004. Changing out the screen right now is not an option for me....unless I find someone that wants to buy a DaLite 106's motorized 16:9 screen.

Mikes Stuff
Old 08-21-2012, 08:44 AM

Liked: 11
Go with Epson. Either 5010 or 6010. Try Projector Central, they have 5010 but no 6010 yet.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1780 Post(s)
Liked: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^
not an epson OR jvc owner, but...
i don't think (someone correct me if i'm wrong) that the jvc is any "dimmer" than my mitsu hc9000... i have lights on over my seats virtually all the time, up to 300 watts of halogens... not an issue while watching sports for me (which is the majority of my usage)... and i like my images bright... when calibrating, i "break" the 14-16 ftl "rule" by a bunch... redface.gif
i do have a high gain screen (da-lite high power) and reasonably good light control, so it's probable that the screen plays into that a bit... however, i viewed my bd 1.4 screen under the same conditions without issue as well...
this may be a completely worthless post (it wouldn't be my first... redface.gif ), but i figured i'd throw a data point out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrums View Post

Thanks Chris.....a little over my head though...LOL. My screen is a DaLite 106" retractable. I'm not sure of the gain of it right now but I think it is something like a 1 or maybe 1.3....just a regular white screen that was installed back in October 2004. Changing out the screen right now is not an option for me....unless I find someone that wants to buy a DaLite 106's motorized 16:9 screen.

The JVC is brighter than the Mits. ccotenj is running a 2.4 gain 110" High Power.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Medina View Post

Go with Epson. Either 5010 or 6010. Try Projector Central, they have 5010 but no 6010 yet.

I found the 6010 locally and at a great price along with a new Integra 80.3 AV Pro Pro to replace my McIntosh AV Pre/Pro. I was going to get the JVC but some of the issues I've read about it and that it doesn't do 3D well turned me away.

My wife wants to smash the Sim2 HD300 E Link out int eh drive way. She is totally serious....she hated that projector and all it's issues and the lack of service from the Sim2 company and the local dealer they had in Tampa. I'll video it and post it...but maybe someone might want the Sim2 for parts?.....I'll let he smash the iPronto she hated too.tongue.gif

Mikes Stuff
Old 08-22-2012, 03:48 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrums View Post

I found the 6010 locally and at a great price along with a new Integra 80.3 AV Pro Pro to replace my McIntosh AV Pre/Pro. I was going to get the JVC but some of the issues I've read about it and that it doesn't do 3D well turned me away.
My wife wants to smash the Sim2 HD300 E Link out int eh drive way. She is totally serious....she hated that projector and all it's issues and the lack of service from the Sim2 company and the local dealer they had in Tampa. I'll video it and post it...but maybe someone might want the Sim2 for parts?.....I'll let he smash the iPronto she hated too.tongue.gif

Reminds me of the movie "Office Space" when they took the copier out to a field and smashed it with baseball bats. Classic scene.
mdrums likes this.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:33 AM
Knd
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I own the 5010 and prior to that the 6500UB. The 5010 is much brighter and easier to calibrate. If you want to leave some lights on it should work with the 5010 in dynamic mode and eco lamp setting. In this combination after calibration, I'm getting over 1000 lumens.

I have a 118" diagonal Carada BW screen and am getting 25 ftL off of the screen, of course it is a brand new bulb.

Check out this if you're interested in calibrating the 5010, as this methodology really works well for this projector:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1134710/epson-calibration-guide-1080-1080ub-6100-6500ub-7500ub/660

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Jvc Dla Rs40u , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 Projector