Changing Aspect ratio in PAN 7000 and Epson 5010 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-15-2012, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry for posting this thread in multiple places.

Have a question with Epson 5010 (recently bought a week ago) related to changing Aspect ratio. I read from the manual with HDMI connection, the aspect ratio cannot be changed manually and PJ selects it automatically. With my limited testing so far, i see it was set to "Normal" mode. Here is my Q - Say i have a 16:9 ratio 100 inch screen/ Playing one of the latest Hollywood movie from my Blueray player (regular DVD or Bluray DVD) what should i be expecting here? Will i see a full image in my 100 inch screen or not? I see similar posts in this thread where people asking the same Q.(http://www.avsforum.com/t/1377321/official-epson-powerlite-home-cinema-5010-6010-thread/1020#post_21655309) It sounds silly to me aspect ratio cannot be changed when connected to HDMI. Same question i have for other sources like PC or cable receiver etc. Note i am not going to use 2:35.1 and i just need to understand with 16:9 screen whether i can view full screen possibly all sources (Bluray/PC/Cable etc).. With a normal HDTV i do not see this issue at all and i am surprised to see this with EPson. The final Q i have whether anyone knows Panasonic AE7000 has the same limitation with 16:9 screen..

With Pan AE7000 PJ, can i change aspect ratio (say to full screen) irrespective of the sources (BluRay/DVD/PC/Cable receiver etc) as long as my PJ is connected via HDMI to good reputable receiver. I am running to the below issue with EPSON 5010 and looking for answers How it works in Panasonic before i decide whether to return Epson and go with AE 7000 PJ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-15-2012, 03:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvsub View Post

Sorry for posting this thread in multiple places.
Have a question with Epson 5010 (recently bought a week ago) related to changing Aspect ratio. I read from the manual with HDMI connection, the aspect ratio cannot be changed manually and PJ selects it automatically. With my limited testing so far, i see it was set to "Normal" mode. Here is my Q - Say i have a 16:9 ratio 100 inch screen/ Playing one of the latest Hollywood movie from my Blueray player (regular DVD or Bluray DVD) what should i be expecting here? Will i see a full image in my 100 inch screen or not? I see similar posts in this thread where people asking the same Q.(http://www.avsforum.com/t/1377321/official-epson-powerlite-home-cinema-5010-6010-thread/1020#post_21655309) It sounds silly to me aspect ratio cannot be changed when connected to HDMI. Same question i have for other sources like PC or cable receiver etc. Note i am not going to use 2:35.1 and i just need to understand with 16:9 screen whether i can view full screen possibly all sources (Bluray/PC/Cable etc).. With a normal HDTV i do not see this issue at all and i am surprised to see this with EPson. The final Q i have whether anyone knows Panasonic AE7000 has the same limitation with 16:9 screen..
With Pan AE7000 PJ, can i change aspect ratio (say to full screen) irrespective of the sources (BluRay/DVD/PC/Cable receiver etc) as long as my PJ is connected via HDMI to good reputable receiver. I am running to the below issue with EPSON 5010 and looking for answers How it works in Panasonic before i decide whether to return Epson and go with AE 7000 PJ.

Sorry that I did not have time earlier to answer this. I assume that your screen is a 100" diagonal 16:9 screen. With a 16:9 screen, what you view on the Epson is the same as what you view with any other 16:9 native aspect ratio projector shooting onto a 16:9 screen. This is assuming that you are not using some stretch mode that makes everything look weird. If watching a scope movie with a 16:9 projector onto a 16:9 screen, you will have black bars, top and bottom. Some projectors will allow you to shift the image up or down, so that you only have one black bar showing on the screen. Projectors like the JVC , Sony (excluding HW30AES) and the Panny 7000 allow you to project a full scope image on a scope screen and then reduce the 16:9 image to fit the height of the scope screen. That is called a CIH system.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-15-2012, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

On your response, "If watching a scope movie with a 16:9 projector onto a 16:9 screen, you will have black bars, top and bottom" - In this scenario, if i use regular HDTV (in place of projector) i can change the aspect ratio to Zoom to get the full image (agreed i will lose minor part of the technically) in my TV. Correct? Similarly can i not do it in projector with both Epson and Panasonic? Epson does not even give me an option (whether i like the stretch mode it is a different matter) to change this.. So my Q - Does panasonic score in this area compared to Epson 5010? I am using 100 inch Diag 16:9 AR screen only.
post #4 of 13 Old 08-15-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:

On your response, "If watching a scope movie with a 16:9 projector onto a 16:9 screen, you will have black bars, top and bottom" - In this scenario, if i use regular HDTV (in place of projector) i can change the aspect ratio to Zoom to get the full image (agreed i will lose minor part of the technically) in my TV. Correct? Similarly can i not do it in projector with both Epson and Panasonic? Epson does not even give me an option (whether i like the stretch mode it is a different matter) to change this.. So my Q - Does panasonic score in this area compared to Epson 5010? I am using 100 inch Diag 16:9 AR screen only.

If you are watching HDTV on a HDTV then you do not have to zoom. The image fills the screen completely. It is the same when using a projector on a 16:9 screen. Lets start with some basics. What is your throw distance on your Epson 5010? Also what size screen do you have?

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-16-2012, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

If you are watching HDTV on a HDTV then you do not have to zoom. The image fills the screen completely. It is the same when using a projector on a 16:9 screen. Lets start with some basics. What is your throw distance on your Epson 5010? Also what size screen do you have?

It is not yet ceiling mounted since my dedicated HT room is in the process of getting finished. The throw distance is going to 14 to 15 ft based on some testing that i had done so far. I am planning to go for 100 or 106 inch Diag 16:9 screen. The distance from viewing seat (theater seating and a front row seating(Room size 23 by 15 SQ.FT) Ceiling height where the PJ will be installed is 8 feet. Ceiling height where the screen will be installed will be 7 Feet only due to softfit. So the PJ will be above the top of the screen in my case for the most part even though i can bring it down little with mount extenstion and use veritical lens shift to level the image with screen.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-16-2012, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It is not yet ceiling mounted since my dedicated HT room is in the process of getting finished. The throw distance is going to 14 to 15 ft based on some testing that i had done so far. I am planning to go for 100 or 106 inch Diag 16:9 screen. The distance from viewing seat (theater seating and a front row seating(Room size 23 by 15 SQ.FT) Ceiling height where the PJ will be installed is 8 feet. Ceiling height where the screen will be installed will be 7 Feet only due to softfit. So the PJ will be above the top of the screen in my case for the most part even though i can bring it down little with mount extenstion and use veritical lens shift to level the image with screen.

Adding "distance from viewing seat will be 22 to 22 feet (front and back row / back row will step up riser seating)
post #7 of 13 Old 08-16-2012, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Adding "distance from viewing seat will be 22 to 22 feet (front and back row / back row will step up riser seating)

Adding few more comments here - With PJ being 16:9 and screen being 16:9 i understand all projectors will produce balck bars when displaying scope type images (2.35.1). My Q here - Why Epson is not giving an option to change it manually and they are locking it down. This is the part i do not like it with Epson. Looks like all Epson PJs have this feature. (Ignore tha fact i may lose resolution / part of the image etc. Assume i am willing to take a hit on those). For example review the user manual from Pan 7000 PJ from below URL

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/projector/extranet/main/products/ae7000at5000/manual/ae7000ENGLISH_U.pdf

Review page # 58 and 59 in the above PDF file. You will know what i am talking about. Even with HDMI, i get an option to change my aspect ratio..
post #8 of 13 Old 08-16-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:

Adding few more comments here - With PJ being 16:9 and screen being 16:9 i understand all projectors will produce balck bars when displaying scope type images (2.35.1). My Q here - Why Epson is not giving an option to change it manually and they are locking it down. This is the part i do not like it with Epson. Looks like all Epson PJs have this feature. (Ignore tha fact i may lose resolution / part of the image etc. Assume i am willing to take a hit on those). For example review the user manual from Pan 7000 PJ from below URL
https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/projector/extranet/main/products/ae7000at5000/manual/ae7000ENGLISH_U.pdf
Review page # 58 and 59 in the above PDF file. You will know what i am talking about. Even with HDMI, i get an option to change my aspect ratio..

If all you want to do is to fill the 16:9 screen without concern on losing part of the image, why don't you just zoom in the image (make it larger) and let the left and right part of the image spills outside the screen area?
post #9 of 13 Old 08-16-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

Perhaps you are not aware that most projectors and HDTVs work the same as does the Epson. If the input signal is HD (720p, 1080i or 1080p) these are inherently 16 x 9 format and since the projector and screen are also 16 x 9 the image is simply displayed as received. The black bars at the top and bottom of a 2.35 'scope' movie on Blu-ray Disc are actually sent into the projector as part of the overall 16 x 9 HD image. If you send in standard definition video, such as from a DVD player in 480i or 480p format, then this is in 3X4 format and the projector will in this case give you some options for how to display this on your 16 x 9 display which can be useful for when the DVD movie is provided in widescreen format. As for why the Panasonic projector offers more options with HD inputs, this is because the Panasonic is one of the very few projectors to include a lens memory function that is very useful if you have a 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 'scope' screen. In this case a lens memory can be set up to zoom (i.e, motorized zoom) the projector's lens to enlarge the image to fill the full width of the 'scope' screen when the source video is also in scope format (e.g., 2.35:1 format movie on Blu-ray). Panasonic was the first company to offer the lens memory feature, a few years ago, and starting with this year's models JVC has added a similar feature to their projectors and Sony has also added lens memory to their more upscale VW95 model. Epson does not off lens memory on their home theater projectors.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #10 of 13 Old 08-16-2012, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

Perhaps you are not aware that most projectors and HDTVs work the same as does the Epson. If the input signal is HD (720p, 1080i or 1080p) these are inherently 16 x 9 format and since the projector and screen are also 16 x 9 the image is simply displayed as received. The black bars at the top and bottom of a 2.35 'scope' movie on Blu-ray Disc are actually sent into the projector as part of the overall 16 x 9 HD image. If you send in standard definition video, such as from a DVD player in 480i or 480p format, then this is in 3X4 format and the projector will in this case give you some options for how to display this on your 16 x 9 display which can be useful for when the DVD movie is provided in widescreen format. As for why the Panasonic projector offers more options with HD inputs, this is because the Panasonic is one of the very few projectors to include a lens memory function that is very useful if you have a 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 'scope' screen. In this case a lens memory can be set up to zoom (i.e, motorized zoom) the projector's lens to enlarge the image to fill the full width of the 'scope' screen when the source video is also in scope format (e.g., 2.35:1 format movie on Blu-ray). Panasonic was the first company to offer the lens memory feature, a few years ago, and starting with this year's models JVC has added a similar feature to their projectors and Sony has also added lens memory to their more upscale VW95 model. Epson does not off lens memory on their home theater projectors.

The fact that i mostly will go with 16:9 screen, then i guess between Epson/Panny PJ, there is no difference in displaying "scope" image. Correct? With Panny i may be able to strech to fill the 16:9 screen but i will end up losing the portion of the image on the left/right side of the screen if i am looking to avoid black bars in top/bottom. Correct?
post #11 of 13 Old 08-16-2012, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The fact that i mostly will go with 16:9 screen, then i guess between Epson/Panny PJ, there is no difference in displaying "scope" image. Correct? With Panny i may be able to strech to fill the 16:9 screen but i will end up losing the portion of the image on the left/right side of the screen if i am looking to avoid black bars in top/bottom. Correct?

Correct more or less (*see note below). when using a 16 x 9 screen you really need to learn to live with the black (really dark grey) bars at the top and bottom (you really don't want to zoom to vertically fill the screen because you would lose 25% of the 'scope' image that would then fall off the right and left sides of the screen). An alternative is to use a screen with a masking system than can be moved into place to create a 2.35:1 viewing area (basically instead of seeing dark grey bars across the top of bottom you would will see the truely black mask). There are motorized masking system as well as manual systems. The least expensive screen I've seen with a built-in manual masking system is the the fixed frame multi-format models from monoprice.com - link HERE for 120" model.

*NOTE: When using a 16 x 9 screen and displaying a scope image the only additional feature the Panasonic has that might be useful is the ability to move the image up so that the top of the 'scope' image actually come up to the top of the screen leaving all of the unused area below the image.

Ron Jones
post #12 of 13 Old 05-18-2014, 12:53 AM

I have the same question as the OP but many of your replies don't understand his question.I am still confused even after reading the above. I had a panasonic AE 9000 projector and a home made 100" 16:9 screen at my old house. The projector would always completely fill the screen no matter what the source. It would automatically adjust all DVD's etc.
Now I have just set up my new Epson TW 8200 (5030). I brought the same screen from the old house. Now 16:9 dvd's show a black bar at the top and bottom of the screen. I can adjust the lens so the bar is only at the bottom. But how come the panasonic could always fill the screen and the Epson (much newer model) doesn't?
post #13 of 13 Old 05-18-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko1953 View Post

I have the same question as the OP but many of your replies don't understand his question.I am still confused even after reading the above. I had a panasonic AE 9000 projector and a home made 100" 16:9 screen at my old house. The projector would always completely fill the screen no matter what the source. It would automatically adjust all DVD's etc.
Now I have just set up my new Epson TW 8200 (5030). I brought the same screen from the old house. Now 16:9 dvd's show a black bar at the top and bottom of the screen. I can adjust the lens so the bar is only at the bottom. But how come the panasonic could always fill the screen and the Epson (much newer model) doesn't?

When playing a DVD or Blu-ray disc for a movie that is in the widescreen "cinemascope" format (many movies are in this format) with an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 there should be black bars displayed at the top and bottom when your using on a 16 x 9 screen. If the movie is not in cinemascope format (i.e., is actually in 1.78:1 or 16x9 format) and you are seeing black bars at the top and bottom when displayed on a 16 x 9 screen, then you probably have your DVD player setup incorrectly (i.e., make certain it is setup to display on a 16 x 9 screen and not a 4 x 3 (1.33:1) screen).

Ron Jones
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page