Epson 6010 vs Runco LS-1 or LS-3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-16-2012, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just joined the forum. I'm building a new house with a combined media room and game room (some call this a flex room). The room will be about 21' wide and 35' deep. The projection screen will go on the 21' wall. About 13' back from there are two steps where we go from an 11' ceiling to a 10' ceiling. That is where we transition to a game room with a pool table and a bar. I have attached the second floor plans.

I am talking to two vendors about the home theater design. I have two questions needing help of the experts on here:

1) Which projector is best (Epson 6010 or Runco LS-1)? I may also consider the LS-3. My main objective is to watch sports (college and NFL), but we also watch movies. So my choice needs to be pretty good in the daytime. We don't have much for windows except for the french doors and two windows that go out to the balcony which is pretty far from the screen.

2) I want to be able to watch more than one game at a time. The dealer promoting the Epson suggests going with a Crestron quad processor which can provide up to 4 separate videos (requiring 4 dedicated DirecTV boxes) on the 110" projector screen. The Runco dealer is suggesting to leave the projector and screen to be dedicated to one awesome picture while putting two flat screens on the left wall in the media room area (so you would have to have an L shaped sectional to see those TV's without getting a crick in your neck). Of course the quad processor route is about $5k more.

Lots to digest here. I would love any input you have. Thanks! Note that the two lines separating the media area and game room area are only steps (there is not a wall there).

Second Floor Plan.pdf 1049k .pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Jensen2.01Plan.pdf (1.02 MB, 17 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-16-2012, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

I should have mentioned that the projector will also be used for video games from our XBOX 360 if that makes a difference.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-16-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 299
I would take the Epson over the LS-1. The LS-3 though is quite a bit nicer than the LS-1. It has a larger DMD chip which will result in a sharper picture overall. It will also have better contrast than the LS-1. Personally, I'd take the LS-3 over the Epson but I think you should demo them to decide. Both are fantastic choices.

You should also take into consideration 3D. If that is of any interest you have to remember both of those Runco models are 2D only.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Sale: JVC DLA-RS45 1080p Reference Series 3D Projector - $1849

My Crazy Projector Journey
post #4 of 9 Old 08-16-2012, 09:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjsooner View Post

I should have mentioned that the projector will also be used for video games from our XBOX 360 if that makes a difference.

With gaming involved, I would go with the DLP. The Epson has been measured with around 80ms of lag.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #5 of 9 Old 08-20-2012, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. After reading reviews on projectorreviews.com, I think I'm going to go with the Epson 6010. My biggest concern with the Runco's is how well they will do during the day. Our room is more of a flex room. It does have some ambient light coming in from the balcony about 25' away from the screen on a side wall. The Runco's don't have much of an increase in lumens in their brightest mode like the Epson does. It seems like the Runco projectors are more suited for a dedicated theater room. Agree?
post #6 of 9 Old 08-20-2012, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

With gaming involved, I would go with the DLP. The Epson has been measured with around 80ms of lag.

is lag really important if you are solo gamer????
post #7 of 9 Old 08-20-2012, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Judging from the lumen output the Runco may struggle with some ambient light. If you are looking for an affordable bright DLP and don't mind buying used, you could see if you could find an Infocus IN82 or IN83 (IN82 is Darkchip3, IN83 darkchip4). They both use the larger DLP chip, and both are seriously bright. I have the IN83 and use it during the day with some ambient light and just close down the iris a bit when watching with lights off. Some people have reported an issue with them overheating if they get too dusty although mine has been running fine for the last year and a half. I have seen the IN82 go for under $1k on auction sites. Just a suggestion with some measured risk involved, its always easy for someone to recommend the model they own... smile.gif
A new alternative would be the Benq W7000 but it uses the smaller chip, not sure how good the black level would be

post #8 of 9 Old 08-20-2012, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
The Epson is a good choice as is has a torch mode if you need it. For movie viewing, I suggest trying to tame the ambient light with curtains on the doors and windows and shutting off the lights. 3D on the Epson is excellent and 2D is very good. I don't use my home theater for games, so can't add much except to concur that it's a reported 80ms lag time, which might be an issue for on-line multiplayer gaming, but shouldn't be an issue for solo gaming. Depending on your needs, it may not be an issue at all.

Keep in mind that the 6010 also has a PIP feature which will display a separate signal from component input. That might help you out too. As for needing four DirecTV tuners that's expensive without even factoring in the Crestron. Have you considered that DirecTV has options to watch up to eight NFL games at once on the Mix Channel (think they have the same thing for other sports packages). You can also watch the important plays from every game via RedZone and switch to whatever game you want with their NFL package. And with their HR34 HD-DVR, you can record up to five games at a time, so you really wouldn't miss anything. If it was me, I'd go with Mix Channel on the Epson big screen, with possible PIP window for watching a particular game of your choosing or RedZone. And if that's not enough, then take the money saved and add a large flat screen (or two). Keep in mind that you eye/brain can only take in so many things at once, so start out conservatively and add more later if you really need it.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

post #9 of 9 Old 08-20-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Also remember that the Epson 5010 is cheaper, but very similar to the 6010. You probably don't need the software extras that the 6010 provides (THX settings, anamorphic stretch). It's more expensive, but does come with an extra lamp, additional year on the warranty, ceiling mount, and it's in black vs. the 5010 which is white. Call AVS Sales for quotes. You might be better off putting the money saved on a 5010 towards something else.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Runco , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page