APC S10BLK UPS fan noise - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-17-2012, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone using the APC S10BLK (or S15BLK) UPS comment on how often the fan runs and what the noise level is like? If yes, can you also supply details of your application (rack/enclosure type, proximity to seating, % of wattage load, etc.)?

I e-mailed APC support and got the following:
  • Fan will run when load is > 70%
  • Fan will run when needed to cool battery, generally during charging (or > 70% load.
  • Fan is "near silent".

The person assisting me is checking on a dBA spec for noise level as well as a temp threshold for activating the fan (but it is thought to be battery temp, not ambient).

Thanks,
DD

p.s.
Mods if there is a better place for this, please let me know and/or move.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-18-2012, 01:54 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconDan View Post

I e-mailed APC support and got the following:
  • Fan will run when load is > 70%
  • Fan will run when needed to cool battery, generally during charging (or > 70% load).
  • Fan is "near silent".
I got the same answer from APC; the last point is way optimistic...
Considering that UPS are usually rated in VA instead of Watts, this means your UPS VA rating should be at least x2 the Watts consumption of your projector.
I own a Sony VPL-VW100 (Ruby, 610W), plugged it on an APC Smart-UPS 1500 (1500VA) and the fan never runs, except once very 2-4 weeks, when the UPS performs its regular battery check.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-18-2012, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeji View Post

I got the same answer from APC; the last point is way optimistic...
Considering that UPS are usually rated in VA instead of Watts, this means your UPS VA rating should be at least x2 the Watts consumption of your projector.
I own a Sony VPL-VW100 (Ruby, 610W), plugged it on an APC Smart-UPS 1500 (1500VA) and the fan never runs, except once very 2-4 weeks, when the UPS performs its regular battery check.

Thanks geeji. The S10BLK is 1000VA and 700W. For my room in progress I am intending to connect an Epson 6010 (352W), Oppo BDP-93 (35W), and Timewarner cable box (30W) to the UPS (417W total). I'd be at 42% of VA and 60% of wattage for the S10BLK. In comparison the Smart-UPS 1500 is 1500VA/1000W, and you're at 41% of VA and 61% of wattage.

So I should get similar results to you based on % load as long as the battery temp sensor doesn't cause the fan to run more often in my setup. I'm planning to rack mount my UPS with the rack being in a closer built into the rear wall of the room - rack face flush with rear wall and open, rack body extending into the closet. There is an air return in the closet that will pull 150-200CFM (HVAC fan always on) through vent panels in rack, but the ambient temp in closet will be higher than room. Can you describe how your UPS is positioned and the temp scenario relative to your room?
post #4 of 4 Old 08-18-2012, 11:50 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconDan View Post

Can you describe how your UPS is positioned and the temp scenario relative to your room?
Nothing as sophisticated as yours : my UPS just stands on the floor, no closet, no air conditioning smile.gif.
But I agree with you and also suspect that the theoretical "70% load threshold" when the fan starts may actually be dependent upon the actual room temperature; but any kind of cooling will also produce some "fan like" noise...
Note that it was 95°F at my place yesterday, and the UPS was still silent with the Ruby on (while the Ruby fan was noisier than usual wink.gif )
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page