Forum Jump: 

Old 08-20-2012, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Greetings!

It's coming time to hang my Sony VPL-VW1000ES in my theater, and I'm wondering about vibration isolation. As described in my build thread, I have a total of seven subwoofers in the room, of which three are actually mounted in the ceiling. It seems possible that all this bass energy could vibrate the ceiling enough to make the projected image move visibly.

As well, while I don't expect foot traffic in the room above during movies, it is a high-traffic room generally. So, it seems prudent to protect the projector from day-to-day vibration caused by foot traffic, even when it's off.

We will be doing a vibration test in the room this coming month, but I figured that it was probably a good idea to just go ahead and plan on a mount that has some isolation, so we don't end up having to drop the projector and replace pieces if it turns out that we get visible shake.

Looking around online, I see that Da-Lite, Chief and Peerless all offer various types of vibration isolation. Da-Lite's is a simple arrangement with rubber isolators built into the bracket that mounts to their UPM-1 universal mount. Chief's is an elaborate system of masses on long arms, but its weight limits are insufficient for the 1000ES. Peerless seems to have the vibration isolation in the piece that actually installs to the ceiling joists.

Anyhow, I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with one or more of these products, or with other solutions, and can comment on their effectiveness.

Thanks!

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 05:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 107
If you used the advance search engine and "vibrate" and "vibration" as separate searches...using "title only" as your filter...you'll find the previous discussions on the topic.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
New lower price : Anthem MX-510 Receiver (awaiting payment) & ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair):
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...iver-sale.html
Old 08-20-2012, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I did search for that before posting the thread, but not using the advanced settings you suggest.
mdrums likes this.

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
Old 08-20-2012, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi Mike,

I found a couple of posters that used Sub Dudes to decouple the subwoofers in their rooms and one guy that built a beam to lie on top of his basement foundation walls to isolate his projector from the floor above. Maybe that will give you some ideas. Good luck!

Steve
Old 08-20-2012, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks! Unfortunately, three of my subwoofers are actually *in* the ceiling, so no decoupling is possible there. I think any isolation is going to have to come between the attachment at the ceiling, and the projector.

This gizmo looks promising:

http://www.nigelbdesign.com/Product%20Leaflets/Isolation%20Mount%20leaflet%202.pdf

The trick with vibration absorption seems to be that the absorbers are tuned to the mass of the object from which you're trying to isolate vibration, and probably to the frequency of the problematic vibration as well. For instance, the Da-Lite mount I mentioned has eight little absorbers, each of which should be loaded to 6 pounds to work at their best. If you have less weight, then you're supposed to remove absorbers, and you can add a little weight on the projector side to dial it right to 6 pounds per pad. Unfortunately, the mount itself weighs 5 pounds excluding pipe, and the Sony is 44 pounds. So, it's a pound over the maximum without even getting to the pipe.

That "Nigel B." product lists weights up to nearly 72 pounds. You get the one closest to the weight you need, and then pad the suspended weight up to the ideal.

So, it sounds like the correct approach is to use a mount that will use the same pipe size that the "Nigel B." thing uses, mount it without any isolation, and test. If there's vibration visible, then add the isolator and tune as needed.

Mike Kobb
Old 08-20-2012, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike View Post

Thanks. I did search for that before posting the thread, but not using the advanced settings you suggest.

I didn't find anything either. This is a timely post for me too. My drums are above the theater room and I was wanting a ceiling mount that help with vibrations too.

Mikes Stuff
McIntosh MC207 Amps.........................DarbyVision Darblet
Marantz AV8801 Processor.................Da-Lite Screen
Klipsch Reference Series 7.2................Panasonic BluRay BDT500
Epson Pro 6010 Projector.....................Sony Playstation used for SACD and BluRay
Old 08-20-2012, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I used one of these worked extremely well. This coupling gets installed above the ceiling where attic space exists.

http://www.chiefmfg.com/Products/CMA347

Check out my whole house build HERE
Old 08-22-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 516
You listed Chief, but not which product you are looking at. Was it this? Structural mounting plate from Chief: http://www.chiefmfg.com/Products/CMA345

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 08-22-2012, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Mike,

Yes, that's the one. The web site where I found it listed a maximum weight of 35 pounds, I think, but this page says the capacity is 500 pounds, which is rather a lot better! :-)

Mike Kobb
Old 08-22-2012, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

You listed Chief, but not which product you are looking at. Was it this? Structural mounting plate from Chief: http://www.chiefmfg.com/Products/CMA345

The product I listed was 347, it should be used in conjunction with the other chief parts. You have to use a plate or structural pole mount then attach pole, then the CMA347 couples the mounted pole to another pole which directly attaches to the RPA mount from chief. This only works if you have an attic above the room so that you can locate the isolation coupler out of sight. There are three spring mounted arms with weights attached, this absorbs energy coming from the structural mount and the two poles are decoupled. I have installed this 4 times and its worked every time so far. Not perfect for every situation obviously, but another solution in any case.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ah! I was confused, sorry. The 345 is similar to the Peerless, which had the lower weight capacity. I saw that 3-arm 347 mount as well, but it has a maximum projector weight that is too low for the 1000ES.

Mike Kobb
Old 08-22-2012, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Oh wow. I bet that is heavy with the large lens. I am a project manager for a mechanical company, I think there are probably some great industrial 1.5NPT isolation units out there designed to stop vibration between pumps and optical tools.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

We use these in semi-conductor fabs to isolate equipment vibration. They are available in rubber or stainless and will handle the weight. Additionally, they can be ordered for specific weights and to isolate against specific vibrations. Would be $150-400.

Another thought would be to look at the uni-strut route. Essentially building a rigid square out of uni-strut, suspend it from the structure with all-thread and use vibration isolation springs where the all-thread connects to the uni-strut. Then attach ply to the uni-strut square and mount away.

The top section of this is uni-strut and can be purchased at home depot for $2 a foot.

Unistrut suspended by all-thread.

Vibration Isolation between structure and platform.

This would only cost a few hundred and would support a car. Ensure spring stiffness is appropriate for weight of supported assembly.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the suggestions! I thought about the spring isolators, although I like the added twist of using uni-strut.

That Nigel B. thing that I linked above looks like it accomplishes the same sort of thing, and it has the added benefit of being designed to be compact and tuned for specific weights. If we do find any vibration when we test with the subs, then I think I'll try it first, and move on to other more elaborate countermeasures if it doesn't work.

Mike Kobb
Old 08-25-2012, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Location: n.j if the world gets an enema the hose will be above us
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Diy Guy You da man! Was about to start a thread about vibration control for shelf mounted pj's when I saw you mention the subdude . I've got two of them so I tried it an hour ago and it works . Auralex not just for subs anymore .

build coffins. that's all you'll need. R Neville
Old 08-26-2012, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I have room directly above my theatre room that has my drums in it. Obviously the drums will rattle the floor on which my new Epson 6010 hangs. I'm using the Cheif mount that came with my Epson. Thanks!

Mikes Stuff
McIntosh MC207 Amps.........................DarbyVision Darblet
Marantz AV8801 Processor.................Da-Lite Screen
Klipsch Reference Series 7.2................Panasonic BluRay BDT500
Epson Pro 6010 Projector.....................Sony Playstation used for SACD and BluRay
Old 12-10-2012, 12:37 PM

Liked: 10
Britton,
Where can I get the stainless steel isolators you use in your semi-conductors to isolate vibration?

How long does it take from order to delivery?

Thanks!

Chris
Old 12-10-2012, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Chief has a vibration isolator that one can attach to its mount. search through mount accessories on the chief page.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Chief Mfg , Peerless