JVC v Epson 5010/6010 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-28-2012, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hello, I'm new to the forum and a novice concerning pj's.. I tired searching for this comparison on this site but no luck. I previously remember somebody posting a mini-shootout between the JVC, epson, sony.
I am interested in "real world" performance and saisfaction.
I will be placing the projector in a 2nd story room with 2 windows, one behind the projector facing towards the screen and the other on the left side of the room, but towards the back-away from the screen , which is in the front of the room.
My dimensions are 17 front to back and 13.5 wide. I will be mounting the screen on the 13.5 ft wall.
I want to find the best pj for both movies and watching sports (during the day), thus ambient light. From what I have read, the JVC 30 or 45 (what's difference)) is much better from the standpoint of black-levels and sharpness compared to the Epson.
If I have the pj at about 15-16 feet from screen, will the JVC give me the brightness that I need for sports (NFL,etc) during daytime-will still be able to limit the light from windows, but don't want to watch football in batcave.
Do any of you use your JVC for sports, or predominantly for movies (which it seems it is superior to almost anything out there at price point)-also, really only talking about 2D.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-28-2012, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1382091/jvc-rs-45-sony-hw30-benq-w7000-epson-5010-mini-shootout

For your usage you would be better off with the Epson.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-28-2012, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 233
that's a pretty good thread.. cool.gif

+1 on the Epson, you are going to need as much light as you can get for that setup. The Epson's 'living room' mode cranks the lumens to ~2000 with a push of the colors towards green (This mode can be calibrated to ~ 1400 with nearly correct colors). It's watchable with daytime TV/Sports, but you'll want the lower lumen 'cinema' mode for night time movies.

The BenQ W7000 outputs ~1500 lumens (with good color) right out of the box without needing to calibrate it's brightest mode.

The JVC is great with black level/contrast without a doubt, but you will need lights out to appreciate it, and dark treated walls / ceiling to really see what it can do. It outputs ~900 lumens with correct colors, this isn't likely going to be enjoyable with ambient light which also immediately kills any contrast/black level advantage between any of these projectors.

The Epson does have good black levels for an LCD projector so this could your best bet for this particular setup.
post #4 of 13 Old 08-29-2012, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks, looks like it will probably be the Epson, BUT, are both of you saying that the JVC can't work for sports in a room that has some ambient light.
I'm not talking about having the windows totally unobstructed, we will have some sort of window treatment to control the light, plus the 2 windows are on the north and east sides, so not getting any direct sunlight during afternoon to early evening hours.
I would hate to give up movie performance for sports, but don't want to watch a washed-out football game.
Is the Epson that much better in a dimly lit room? Also, doubt I would be painting walls very dark-WAF is still a factor.
Thanks
post #5 of 13 Old 08-29-2012, 05:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post

Thanks, looks like it will probably be the Epson, BUT, are both of you saying that the JVC can't work for sports in a room that has some ambient light.
I'm not talking about having the windows totally unobstructed, we will have some sort of window treatment to control the light, plus the 2 windows are on the north and east sides, so not getting any direct sunlight during afternoon to early evening hours.
I would hate to give up movie performance for sports, but don't want to watch a washed-out football game.
Is the Epson that much better in a dimly lit room? Also, doubt I would be painting walls very dark-WAF is still a factor.
Thanks

The RS45 is brighter in best image mode. The Epson can go brighter (about 1,000 lumens) with good color. The Epson is only about 100 lumens brighter if you are trying to stay close to a good calibration. Both projectors can handle a little ambient light. While the Epson can go brighter, it is much louder in high lamp mode. Both are good projectors. Both can light up good size screens. Both can do well in a room with ambient light, but to get good performance in a room with ambient light, you have to match up a screen with the projector to provide the performance that you are looking for.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #6 of 13 Old 08-30-2012, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

The RS45 is brighter in best image mode. The Epson can go brighter (about 1,000 lumens) with good color. The Epson is only about 100 lumens brighter if you are trying to stay close to a good calibration. Both projectors can handle a little ambient light. While the Epson can go brighter, it is much louder in high lamp mode. Both are good projectors. Both can light up good size screens. Both can do well in a room with ambient light, but to get good performance in a room with ambient light, you have to match up a screen with the projector to provide the performance that you are looking for.[/quote

May I ask what screen in about a 100-110" size would you recommend (looking for "reasonably" priced).
Thanks
post #7 of 13 Old 08-30-2012, 06:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

The RS45 is brighter in best image mode. The Epson can go brighter (about 1,000 lumens) with good color. The Epson is only about 100 lumens brighter if you are trying to stay close to a good calibration. Both projectors can handle a little ambient light. While the Epson can go brighter, it is much louder in high lamp mode. Both are good projectors. Both can light up good size screens. Both can do well in a room with ambient light, but to get good performance in a room with ambient light, you have to match up a screen with the projector to provide the performance that you are looking for.[/quote
May I ask what screen in about a 100-110" size would you recommend (looking for "reasonably" priced).
Thanks

Sent you a PM. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #8 of 13 Old 08-30-2012, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Sort of the same scenario,as you and I went with the Epson 6010. It also does 3d much better than the JVC. The Epson comes with 2pr 3d glasses, a real nice Chief mount, spare bulb.

Do your research on screens. For light in the room I keep hearing that Black Diamond screen are the best.

Mikes Stuff
McIntosh MC207 Amps.........................DarbyVision Darblet
Marantz AV8801 Processor.................Da-Lite Screen
Klipsch Reference Series 7.2................Panasonic BluRay BDT500
Epson Pro 6010 Projector.....................Sony Playstation used for SACD and BluRay
post #9 of 13 Old 08-30-2012, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I am also trying to choose between an X30/RS45 and the Epson Tw9000W/5010e..

I have 1.3 gain white Cinema Vision 92" frame screen on the wall - just need the projector. Will be mainly movies, only sports will be when there is a soccer world or euro cup. A few casual PS3 games.

So far only own 1 3D title (Coraline)

will the Epson be too bright on the 1.3 gain 92"????? I understand that it does not have a manual iris...
post #10 of 13 Old 09-01-2012, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post

I am also trying to choose between an X30/RS45 and the Epson Tw9000W/5010e..
I have 1.3 gain white Cinema Vision 92" frame screen on the wall - just need the projector. Will be mainly movies, only sports will be when there is a soccer world or euro cup. A few casual PS3 games.
So far only own 1 3D title (Coraline)
will the Epson be too bright on the 1.3 gain 92"????? I understand that it does not have a manual iris...

You can control the brightness in the Epson. Actually from what ivevread on these forums is the JVC is brighter in best picture mode. The Epson kills the JVC in 3D though

Mikes Stuff
McIntosh MC207 Amps.........................DarbyVision Darblet
Marantz AV8801 Processor.................Da-Lite Screen
Klipsch Reference Series 7.2................Panasonic BluRay BDT500
Epson Pro 6010 Projector.....................Sony Playstation used for SACD and BluRay
post #11 of 13 Old 09-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrums View Post

You can control the brightness in the Epson. Actually from what ivevread on these forums is the JVC is brighter in best picture mode. The Epson kills the JVC in 3D though

but seems no manual iris on the Epson (?)
post #12 of 13 Old 09-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

that's a pretty good thread.. cool.gif
+1 on the Epson, you are going to need as much light as you can get for that setup. The Epson's 'living room' mode cranks the lumens to ~2000 with a push of the colors towards green (This mode can be calibrated to ~ 1400 with nearly correct colors). It's watchable with daytime TV/Sports, but you'll want the lower lumen 'cinema' mode for night time movies.
The BenQ W7000 outputs ~1500 lumens (with good color) right out of the box without needing to calibrate it's brightest mode.
The JVC is great with black level/contrast without a doubt, but you will need lights out to appreciate it, and dark treated walls / ceiling to really see what it can do. It outputs ~900 lumens with correct colors, this isn't likely going to be enjoyable with ambient light which also immediately kills any contrast/black level advantage between any of these projectors.
The Epson does have good black levels for an LCD projector so this could your best bet for this particular setup.

- what if you have something in-between the "batcave" and "white walls - white ceilings"? :-D

- I have medium brown walls, light sand coloured ceilings, and beige carpets, black furniture and tall dark red-brown bookcases (for storing BDs etc) around the side of the room
post #13 of 13 Old 09-01-2012, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My wife's family was visiting last weekend. I showed them my RS40 and the difference between a Black Diamond screen and a 1.2 gain white screen. The white screen is powered and drops just in front of the Black Diamond. Just like in the promo video on Youtube, the sheer darkness of the room with the BD is amazing. My ceiling is white and my walls are mint green. Otherwise totally light controlled. Either projector will serve you well, but in anything except a batcave for me the screen choice is the most important.....
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page