Thoughts about "B" stock projectors? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-31-2012, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was looking at older (2-3 years) projectors on the web (Amazon / e-bay, etc.). Some appear factory sealed but I noticed a -B after the model number on the box(s). I assume this means "B" stock. For example "DLA-HD-990-B" Am I correct in assuming this? I understand they do have full factory warranty which is a good thing. Any thoughts about "B" stock?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-31-2012, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I wouldn't hesitate buying B stock.
I would only buy from AVS. They will be upfront about warranty and other questions you may have.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-31-2012, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've bought all my previous projectors from AVS. But they don't currently carry any "B" stock projectors I'm interested in.
post #4 of 13 Old 08-31-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 76
As long as you buy from an authorized dealer and confirm the unit carries a specific warranty I wouldnt worry about it being B stock. There are many reasons a unit can be B stock, a scratch, a return, etc... As long as you know what you are getting is the main thing.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-01-2012, 02:34 AM

Liked: 20
John. Greetings.. What specific brands and models are you looking for? Our B stock changes rapidly.We spray our hands liberally with stickum and if any manufacturers lob up any B stock, which itself is quite limited in quantity and quite variable in availabilty, we try to snatch them up for AV Science. Any advertisement for a B stock unit should clearly state B stock and it should not be dependent for the buyer to have to pick that up from a -B on the model number. For example a B at the end of a model number often means "black".

Warranties for B stock may differ from normal stock warranties. For example, JVC has the same warranty for both while Sony ES is three years for normal and only 90 days for B stock. So I always recommend a direct from Sony extended warranty for any B stock Sony projector. Hope this info helps.
hamany likes this.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-01-2012, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info Mark. I'm looking for RS35 / HD990 to replace my ailing RS20. Which at 2800 hours has developed a yellow bar on extreme left side (optical block?). 3-D is not important to me and I was thinking an RS35 would be a direct replacement (same case) as well as a step above in performance. Never bought a used (or B stock) projector before so I'm kinda nervous (buyer beware). Wonder how I can find out if "DLA-HD-990-B" is "B" stock or "Black?" My RS20 box doesn't have a "-B" at the end (for Black).
post #7 of 13 Old 09-01-2012, 08:56 AM

In the case of JVC, I am pretty sure the -B is for B stock. Any B stock realeased by JVC at this point would be 40 and 45. They have released some 55 B stock but the price would not be that much better than street for a normal stock 55. But if you are interested in a B stock 55, I will see what JVC may have available.The e shift is a significant improvement.
post #8 of 13 Old 09-01-2012, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

The e shift is a significant improvement.
This is what I struggle with. Newer models have newer technology like e-shift and possibly sharper (center mounted) lens - vs: the tried and true design of the RS20 / RS35 w/ no bulb issues or light corners.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-01-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Bstock projectors from AVS = Greatist Deal Ever!

I haven't has the stars align for me yet but I did help a friend pick one up and he got the Greatist Deal Ever!!!
post #10 of 13 Old 09-01-2012, 07:24 PM

If I am able to cancel the order from ebay (explained by my post that no one has replied to) I would very much be interested in a B stock 45 whenever it becomes available.
post #11 of 13 Old 09-01-2012, 07:58 PM

What thread Russ? I try to respond to everyone. Feel free to call me tomorrow if you want. Wwe currently have no B stock RS45 but I am sure we will get more and I can put you on our wait list.
post #12 of 13 Old 09-01-2012, 10:33 PM

If I can cancel the ebay order then yes please add me. How far would i be down the list if you don't mind me asking?
post #13 of 13 Old 09-01-2012, 10:39 PM

That answer willl have to wait. I won't have access to that info until our office reopens on Tuesday and I m traveling to Indy Tuesday morning for Cedia. Shoot me an email and I will answer your question Tuesday evening. But I know the wait list is not long at this point because we had quite a few over the last few weeks and we able to satisfy demand until just recently we we exhausted our supply.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page