NEW EPSON HOME CINEMA 3020, 5020 and 6020 AVAILABLE IN OCTOBER AND NOVEMBER 2012 - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-29-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS3771 View Post

I've been using the 5020UBE since 3 weeks now after I set it up. I need some inputs for two issues:
1. I haven't mounted it from the ceiling but installed a Sanus heavy duty glass wall mount (tempered glass that can carry 50 lbs) behind the wall above the headboard in the master bedroom. I feel uncomfortable sitting underneath the projector; need to secure it further. Looks like there's a Kensington lock port behind the projector. So, on the advice of a friend, I went to Best Buy and bought a laptop/projector locking mechanism that should be usable with the projector. Problem is: the cable is 6 ft long and I only need 1 ft to go from the projector to the wall on which I plan to fix a base plate and hook it up to the projector; so that the projector doesn't fall down if the wall mount glass shelving gets stressed out....I'm thinking of going to Home Depot or Lowe's to buy some type of a heavy duty clamp to bundle up the extra steel cable in a circular loop and tie it up using the clamp. I haven't been able to find any lock-and-cable mechanism with just 1 foot in length. Any one has any better ideas?
2. Since the past few days, I've noticed that there's some type of a noise coming from the projector (off and on) - it bothers me during the quiet scenes of a movie for instance. I presume this is a normal thing. I read under "Projector Reviews.com" that some people put a piece of cardboard or foam between the projector and mount or table top and this helped cut out the "rumbling sound". Not sure whether it is the same "rumbly sound" I'm hearing or whether it is a noise of the fan or something else. It sounds like rumbly but I just don't see how putting foam between the projector and the shelf mount would help the issue. Any one got any tips for me?

Is there any noise from the projector when you turn off the dynamic iris? If the noise stops then the rumbling sound you hear is from the iris. I can hear it in soft passages, but not under normal listening (movie) conditions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone recommend a good local dealer in Dallas (or really North Dallas / Plano / Frisco area) where I can demo/order the 6020ub?
Old 11-29-2012, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalreset View Post

Can anyone recommend a good local dealer in Dallas (or really North Dallas / Plano / Frisco area) where I can demo/order the 6020ub?

Check with starpower on Knox Henderson in Dallas.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Old 11-30-2012, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Can anyone tell me if the input lag on the 5020UB is not a deal breaker for gamers? It's either the 5020UB or the Panny AE8000U for me, but I am leaning more and more towwards the 5020UB due to IQ. If someone can confirm that input lag won't is not an issue on FPS games, then the 5020UB it is! Thanks in advance!
Old 11-30-2012, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERuiz View Post

Can anyone tell me if the input lag on the 5020UB is not a deal breaker for gamers? It's either the 5020UB or the Panny AE8000U for me, but I am leaning more and more towwards the 5020UB due to IQ. If someone can confirm that input lag won't is not an issue on FPS games, then the 5020UB it is! Thanks in advance!

I cant seem to find any first hand information - only speculation, 2nd hand comments ("well, my friend said..") and reviews that are not clear (see the Projector Central 5020vs8000 shootout). My local dealer swears the performance on the 5020/6020 for games is not an issue - he went as far as to setup a PS3 with some games which I am going to go check out today.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshwars View Post

Quote:

I cant seem to find any first hand information - only speculation, 2nd hand comments ("well, my friend said..") and reviews that are not clear (see the Projector Central 5020vs8000 shootout). My local dealer swears the performance on the 5020/6020 for games is not an issue - he went as far as to setup a PS3 with some games which I am going to go check out today.

Awesome, Josh!!! Make sure to try out some FPS! Looking forward to your findings. This issue alone is the determining factor on whether I go with the 5020 or AE8000U. I really want the 5020, though.

- Sent from my rooted, Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE smartphone via Tapatalk because haters gonna hate.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Best we could get out of it was 62ms so if you are a hardcore online fps/fighting gamer and are used to playing on 30ms or less displays you may not be satisfied with the 5020, if you are a casual gamer you're likely to be ok.

This information is posted in the current 'Shoot-Out' thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1434826/sony-hw50-benq-w7000-epson-5020-jvc-rs55-jvc-rs-46-jvc-rs4810-jvc-rs56-mini-shootout-2012-2013

Jason
Old 11-30-2012, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Best we could get out of it was 62ms so if you are a hardcore online fps/fighting gamer and are used to playing on 30ms or less displays you may not be satisfied with the 5020, if you are a casual gamer you're likely to be ok.
This information is posted in the current 'Shoot-Out' thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1434826/sony-hw50-benq-w7000-epson-5020-jvc-rs55-jvc-rs-46-jvc-rs4810-jvc-rs56-mini-shootout-2012-2013
Jason

Thanks for the info!

Let me ask you this... How much is the lag on the Epson 8350? This was my current and ONLY projector I've ever used and have experienced, and I played Battlefield Bad Company 2 for hundreds of hours without ever experiencing any lag issues. Do we know how many XXms lag does the Epson 8350 has?
Old 11-30-2012, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Thanks for the info!
Let me ask you this... How much is the lag on the Epson 8350? This was my current and ONLY projector I've ever used and have experienced, and I played Battlefield Bad Company 2 for hundreds of hours without ever experiencing any lag issues. Do we know how many XXms lag does the Epson 8350 has?

I just added the 3020 to replace the 8350. The 8350 has a very low lag time, I play COD MW3, Black Ops2, Etc online so I expect a very fast response time. The 3020 is really good but I can tell the difference compaired to the 8350. When you get a full room or play ground war the 3020 has a slight lag time which on a few occasions has ticked me off. If you are a hard core FPS gamer than you may not be happy with the results, any other type of game you would not notice any difference.

I am still going to keep the 3020 because the 3D is simply stunning, might even keep the 8350 for just games.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:50 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:

Thanks for the info!

The 8350 was clocked at 18ms.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Old 11-30-2012, 09:02 AM

Is there anyone using Epson 3020/5020 for 3D gaming with a nvidia 3D Vision enabled HTPC? How does it perform? Which settings are you using?
Old 11-30-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Quote:

Thanks for the info!

The 8350 was clocked at 18ms.

WOW, that's an awesome figure. If the 5020 is being clocked in the 50s, I wonder if that is even perceivable in a FPS like COD/BF or sports games like MLB The Show.

- Sent from my rooted, Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE smartphone via Tapatalk because haters gonna hate.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:27 AM

Haven't checked that - but will do. Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:13 AM

I was in Theater Xtreme in Draper, UT this morning and they let me take my 360 to their different projectors in their different rooms. I was playing Black OPS II & Halo 4. The 3020 lag seemed slightly improved over the 3010. However; when I plugged into the Epson 6020 I noticed a significant difference. There was virtually no lag.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hi guys,

Got my 9100 and looks pretty good but I thought id take a look at convergence close up and it looks like this?..........If I am around 1 meter away I do see this convergence. Is it bad?...would you ask for a replacement?. From 4m away I dont notice it. But would it be affecting sharpness?

Cheers!
Old 12-02-2012, 08:07 PM

Liked: 11
[qu4te name="buddhamus" url="/t/1427196/new-epson-home-cinema-3020-5020-and-6020-available-in-october-and-november-2012/450#post_22654196"]Hi guys,
Got my 9100 and looks pretty good but I thought id take a look at convergence close up and it looks like this?..........If I am around 1 meter away I do see this convergence. Is it bad?...would you ask for a replacement?. From 4m away I dont notice it. But would it be affecting sharpness?

My 9100 is much the same when looking close up . I don't really notice it from normal viewing distance. From other examples I've seen at this distance they all have had these convergence effects to varying degrees. I'd stick with it as long as it doesn't bother you from normal viewing distances. Chances are the replacement would be much the same or worse. Doesn't seem to affect sharpness on mine.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhamus View Post

Hi guys,

Cheers!

Oh right, that's why I bought a Sony :-P

Personally I wouldn't accept that on a new projector, but it's really up to you. Two copies of the Sony HW50 I bought had at most like 1/4 pixel misconvergence for one of the colors.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
You can modify the convergence - please check the PJ menu! You can choose if you modify only the 4 corners or around 180 points per color (which is much better).
Old 12-03-2012, 01:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 585
You absolutely cannot adjust convergence. What you are seeing is misconvergence and chromatic aberration. You can adjust the timing of the image on each of the three panels to hide the misconvergence and chromatic aberrations caused by where the image is going through the lens and exiting to hide these two thingsfrom you seeing it. Generally the non uniformity of the why a grid composed by the units feable attempt to produce a blue, green, red grid overlap is caused by chromatic aberrations. The colors being uniformly off is caused by panel misalignment at assembly and the tolerance of such deemed acceptable or non acceptable by Epson and the effectiveness of its quality control to reject any unacceptable level of misconvergence. By using the electronic timing adjustments labeled for consumers as convergence adjustments (all manufacturers use this misnomer) resolution and sharpness take a BIG hit if you making any adjust other than by full grid lines. Adjument by a few tenths of a pixel if use sparingly (globaly and perhaps in a few places) may have a net benefit, anymore and its a big negative0 but it keeps consumers from complaining and rejecting units because they think they have made the bad effects go away. bottom line use very sparingly and watch from a distance where you can't see the remaining misconvergence. If you have blue misconvergence remember blue is only about 7% of the total color contribution and ones eyes are very very insensitive to blue. Red and Green misconvergence are much more visable and that is why green is used as a reference to which red and blue are err converged.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
Old 12-03-2012, 01:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
If someone knows how to get into the service menu for the 6020 can you please PM me the instructions. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-03-2012, 02:07 AM

Please check this link

Epson Firmware Update

I checked my firmware and V100 is installed...
Old 12-03-2012, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdoG View Post

You can modify the convergence - please check the PJ menu! You can choose if you modify only the 4 corners or around 180 points per color (which is much better).

I don't think we can access this option in the regular menu of the Australian version. It may be in the service menu. But I don't think I'd play around with it anyway - from what I read the results are a compromise at the expense of other characteristics.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Cheers guys,

Im gonna ring Epson tommorow and ask for a replacement. If the replacement isnt any good...Im just gonna ask for a refund and just go another PJ as I have no patience being a beta tester. But would they honour that?. Would I ring the company I bought it from or would Epson deal with that?... I do notice a slight hint of green down the bottom of the 16:9 black bar...but only the bottom one and that is from the seating postion which is 4m roughly away from the screen....up close you can see it much better. My old Tw1000 didnt have this much misconvergence....which makes me so frustrated as this is their flagship unit...you would think they would have a better QA for this unit.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:24 AM

Epson will not give you a refund...only exchange the unit! just a heads up.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:15 PM

Regarding the Epson 6020. I have a 120 hz and when I turn the Auto Motion on movies look too smooth and I dont like it. Can you shut this off on this projector? Do you notice movies looking too smooth/home movie like?
Old 12-03-2012, 08:35 PM

The video display from my 5020 blanks out for about 5 seconds every 15 seconds or so when I have 2D-3D conversion selected. Is anyone else seeing this?
Old 12-03-2012, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Old 12-03-2012, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhamus View Post

Cheers guys,
Im gonna ring Epson tommorow and ask for a replacement. If the replacement isnt any good...Im just gonna ask for a refund and just go another PJ as I have no patience being a beta tester. But would they honour that?. Would I ring the company I bought it from or would Epson deal with that?... I do notice a slight hint of green down the bottom of the 16:9 black bar...but only the bottom one and that is from the seating postion which is 4m roughly away from the screen....up close you can see it much better. My old Tw1000 didnt have this much misconvergence....which makes me so frustrated as this is their flagship unit...you would think they would have a better QA for this unit.

From my experience Epson Australia are pretty good, but I'd be inclined to start with the retailer.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:

Wow - a pretty good convergence (screenshot menu)! How is this possible?

Tags
Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 Projector