NEW EPSON HOME CINEMA 3020, 5020 and 6020 AVAILABLE IN OCTOBER AND NOVEMBER 2012 - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 782 Old 12-11-2012, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyJonesBSME View Post

Others have recently told me to buy the Sony HW50 over the Epson 5020.
I would have put under your Cons that it seems to cost $1500 more than the 5020.
Unless others can persuade me otherwise, it appears I'll still be buying a 5020 or 6020. $1500 is more than I paid for my last projector.

See if you can still get the pre-order pricing from AVS on the Sony HW50. Not sure you still can, but it's worth a short call to AVS smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 782 Old 12-11-2012, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
i've just about decided on the 3020. I just cant justify the extra $1k for lens shift and blacker blacks for the 5020 (strange for me because I'm a lens shift nazi wink.gif ) Plus the reports of convergence problems that I wont be as concerned about at the price point of the 3020. I'd love to hear from any of you that went this way as to whether you are happy with this compromise.
post #543 of 782 Old 12-11-2012, 09:26 PM

Liked: 10
So I have had a new 5020 for a couple weeks... calibrated and did the convergence alignment thingy as reds and blues were off a tad. For the most part everything looks good, but when showing yellowish colors (esp. on a dark background), I am seeing what looks like red misalignment or ghosting. I call it ghosting only because I've done the alignment fixes and the patterns look great.

See the attached pic from the SW crawl to see what I mean... any ideas?

thanks in advance for your input ;-)

post #544 of 782 Old 12-11-2012, 11:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpoulos View Post

So I have had a new 5020 for a couple weeks... calibrated and did the convergence alignment thingy as reds and blues were off a tad. For the most part everything looks good, but when showing yellowish colors (esp. on a dark background), I am seeing what looks like red misalignment or ghosting. I call it ghosting only because I've done the alignment fixes and the patterns look great.
See the attached pic from the SW crawl to see what I mean... any ideas?
thanks in advance for your input ;-)

That looks like what I see on certain test patterns with text when I enable panel alignment on my Sony HW50. I think it has to do with the interpolation it's doing to correct for your misalignment. In general, I wouldn't worry about small amounts of misconvergence; on my Sony HW50, I have like 1/4 pixel off for one of the channels (I think Sony has much better convergence than Epson; in the 3 Epson units I tested & the 2 Sony units I tested, all the Epsons were bad & both Sonys were almost spot on). I don't use panel alignment at all, though I'm comforted it's there in case the panels become misconverged over time (heat damage or whatnot?). My Panny AE-900 became extremely misconverged over 6 years, & there's nothing I can do about it. If your convergence isn't too far off, don't use panel alignment. If it is (1 pixel or greater), then use it, & forget about the artifacts it causes smile.gif

That's my 2 cents, and is essentially what I'm going to believe until someone actually proves MTF increases/decreases as a function of misconverged panels with or without panel alignment.
post #545 of 782 Old 12-12-2012, 06:31 AM

Wow, very interesting...thanks for this explanation... I went ahead and had Epson send me a new one anyway, so we'll see if it's any different. The panels were def off by more than 1 pixel when I got this one, so I had to do the alignment.
post #546 of 782 Old 12-12-2012, 08:06 AM

Liked: 11
I could be wrong but I dont think the sony will throw a 150" image from 17 feet? I know the epson will.
post #547 of 782 Old 12-12-2012, 12:35 PM

I set up my new Epson 5020ub last night and I am very pleased so far. Convergence was fine with RGB all within 1 pixel and not noticeable from 10+ feet away. Use ceiling mount after initial table testing and nothing change when I turned it over. It replaces a 3 year old Epson 8500 that was as close to perfect convergence as I have ever seen in an led projector so I didn't expect to be quite that lucky again. Picture is just great as stated in recent reviews. Of course I am comparing it to the 8500 that has over 2,400 hours on the latest bulb which is double the hours on the first 2 bulbs I used in it. The 8500ub was still putting out a good picture but showing a little dimming with age and the recent development of a 1" pink band along the very bottom of the screen. Only watched 2D so far on the 5020ub but will soon check out 3D. I have a lot of playing and tweaking with the settings to do and will report back. I ordered mine from Projector People. They allow a 4hr trial and said it could be returned if I found a problem as long as I didn't ceiling mount it. Glad it was a keeper as it took 3 8500ubs before I got one that worked right. I noticed PP shipped 2 day air without double boxing which surprised me even though the single box was well designed and offered good protection. Anyway it survived delivery so no complaints. Well, off to play with the new toy...
post #548 of 782 Old 12-12-2012, 02:13 PM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmil2 View Post

I ordered mine from Projector People. They allow a 4hr trial and said it could be returned if I found a problem as long as I didn't ceiling mount it.

Why the rule on ceiling mounting?

"Engineers aren't boring people, we just get excited over boring things".
--Anon.

post #549 of 782 Old 12-12-2012, 03:04 PM

Really don't know. The sales person was just quite firm that if I ceiling mounted it, I could not send it back. No further explanation was made so after a couple questions I dropped the subject. Since some folks have experienced convergence problems only after moving from shelf to ceiling mount I was a bit concerned. Fortunately there were no differences between shelf and ceiling mount with my unit.
post #550 of 782 Old 12-12-2012, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Really don't know. The sales person was just quite firm that if I ceiling mounted it, I could not send it back. No further explanation was made so after a couple questions I dropped the subject. Since some folks have experienced convergence problems only after moving from shelf to ceiling mount I was a bit concerned. Fortunately there were no differences between shelf and ceiling mount with my unit.

Based on other people's reports of convergence going haywire when you ceiling mount-- does that mean the projector goes bonkers when it's turned upside down? Don't you think that happens all the time in shipping? Maybe that's why so many Epson projectors are arriving with terrible convergence...
post #551 of 782 Old 12-12-2012, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

Thats bull ****, if he doesnt let you return it if its ceiling mounted, go and complain to the higher authorities. Majority of PJ's are mounted on celings!...what a ****** shop!. He obviously knows about the problems some units have when ceiling mounted and he looks like he just doesnt want to deal with it!.......If u ever have a problem just contact Epson and if your not happy with the unit they will credit him and you can get your money back.

I returned my units....after having 2 units in 2 weeks. I had enough and pushed Epson for a refund and got it........Im going with the JVC now.
post #552 of 782 Old 12-13-2012, 12:00 AM

Just got my 5020UB.

Here's my convergence. Red appears to be shifted two pixels to the left and half a pixel down. Blue is 1 pixel to the left and a quarter of a pixel down.

This is after fixing the convergence using the LCD alignment option.

There's a yellowish hue where it's supposed to be white. What is causing that? I tried aligning the best I could. I couldn't get it perfect. Are my panels way out of alignment?

Here's the finished alignment settings. Each with the respective yellow box indication which corner I adjusted. I also moved around within the grid in a few areas to adjust it further.

Is this what you guys are seeing with these 5020s? Is this terrible or ok? The image is great except for this problem. Sitting 4-5 feet away you can't tell, however I'm not real happy knowing it's not perfect in the back of my mind.
post #553 of 782 Old 12-13-2012, 01:00 AM

Your first 2 pics suggest to me that the adjustments you made really improved your convergence. You have encouraged me to try this procedure on my 5020 to see how close I can get to "perfect." Lucky me as my 5020 looks more like your 2nd picture to begin with. I find that if my eyes can't see something like misconvergence from my regular seating position, then the nagging in the back of my mind usually goes away after a week or so. If I should decide to try getting the convergence aligned even better should I expect any visual artifacts? Can the process be reversed if I should find artifacts after aligning?
post #554 of 782 Old 12-13-2012, 01:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeSolate View Post

Just got my 5020UB.
Here's my convergence. Red appears to be shifted two pixels to the left and half a pixel down. Blue is 1 pixel to the left and a quarter of a pixel down.

This is after fixing the convergence using the LCD alignment option.

There's a yellowish hue where it's supposed to be white. What is causing that? I tried aligning the best I could. I couldn't get it perfect. Are my panels way out of alignment?
Here's the finished alignment settings. Each with the respective yellow box indication which corner I adjusted. I also moved around within the grid in a few areas to adjust it further.
Is this what you guys are seeing with these 5020s? Is this terrible or ok? The image is great except for this problem. Sitting 4-5 feet away you can't tell, however I'm not real happy knowing it's not perfect in the back of my mind.

Holy Jesus. Return that and move on to some other brand. Epson should not be allowed to ship this sort of crap without proper QC. Your *corrected* (alignment) photo is closer to both Sony units I tested *without any corrections* than your original.

Both Sony HW50s I received had at worst 1/4 pixel misalignment in any channel. Both Epson 8350s I tried had 1 or more pixel-widths of misalignment. I don't understand why Epson doesn't up their alignment quality. Consumers need to just send units back to prove a point to Epson.
post #555 of 782 Old 12-13-2012, 02:38 AM

Liked: 12
Well my 5020 (tw8100 in europe) is coming and i am praying that has good convergence. From what i have read so far, perfect convergence is almoust impossible, so what do you guys think is an aceptable convergence that doesn´t affect picture quality? I would like to not use the lcd alligment because it reduces sharpenn, is like using keystone so, no to go with that!
Thanks
post #556 of 782 Old 12-13-2012, 03:29 AM

My 6020e (9100W) is also arriving this week. I arranged to have the pixel alignment tested in the shop.
Nevertheless, if convergence is not good, shop can always correct it via LCD alignment. :-(

Being a newbie, how can I counter-argument that unit is not OK.?

Can loss of sharpness and/or visual artifacts be clearly spotted?

What's an acceptable pixel misalignment value? up to 1 pixel?

Cheers.
post #557 of 782 Old 12-13-2012, 07:23 AM

Damn, as I thought, my unit sucks. pffffft. $2600 projector with this problem = ****!!

The thing that really pisses me off is the LCD alignment option only electronically aligns the panels which is band-aiding the problem and degrading the image quality in the process. It's probably not noticeable, but still, pfft.

However moving 4-5 feet away which is closer than my seating area you can't tell. This is exactly Epson's plan. Knowing consumers can use LCD alignment along with seating far out enough to not notice the misalignment.

This really ruins a otherwise good projector.

I've already contacted Epson. They're probably going to send me another unit, but I hear misalignment is plagued across the board on these....
post #558 of 782 Old 12-13-2012, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeSolate View Post

Damn, as I thought, my unit sucks. pffffft. $2600 projector with this problem = ****!!
The thing that really pisses me off is the LCD alignment option only electronically aligns the panels which is band-aiding the problem and degrading the image quality in the process. It's probably not noticeable, but still, pfft.
However moving 4-5 feet away which is closer than my seating area you can't tell. This is exactly Epson's plan. Knowing consumers can use LCD alignment along with seating far out enough to not notice the misalignment.
This really ruins a otherwise good projector.
I've already contacted Epson. They're probably going to send me another unit, but I hear misalignment is plagued across the board on these....

Refund or get them to send you a QA'd unit from the factory......thats what they offered me when I prompted for a refund and they also were gonna give a free lamp. If ur gonna make any decisions make sure its between the 14 day DOA period!...as thats the time when you have the most power.

Email them a link to this thread and show them how many bloody people are having problems with bad convergence!.............its absolutely horrid for a 2600 PJ!

Im glad I moved onto another PJ!.
post #559 of 782 Old 12-13-2012, 10:12 AM

I ended up purchasing an Epson 5020 after reading through this thread. I have some general questions about my new theatre room setup. To avoid getting this thread off-track, I started a new thread:
New Epson 5020 owner, Da-Lite HCHP 106" screen w/room, zoom, offset & placement questions

If anyone has the time or interest, please take a look at my thread and provide feedback.

Thanks!
post #560 of 782 Old 12-13-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarangiman View Post

Holy Jesus. Return that and move on to some other brand. Epson should not be allowed to ship this sort of crap without proper QC. Your *corrected* (alignment) photo is closer to both Sony units I tested *without any corrections* than your original.
Both Sony HW50s I received had at worst 1/4 pixel misalignment in any channel. Both Epson 8350s I tried had 1 or more pixel-widths of misalignment. I don't understand why Epson doesn't up their alignment quality. Consumers need to just send units back to prove a point to Epson.
I demoed a new Epson 5020 and last years Sony HW30 at the same Magnolia store a couple of weeks ago. The convergence on the Epson was so poor I was immediately turned off. Maybe picture quality wouldn't be affected too much watching content at a normal viewing distance but I could never buy one after I saw that. The Sony was damn near spot on.

I'm Jeff and I approve this message.
post #561 of 782 Old 12-13-2012, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsbuyer View Post

I demoed a new Epson 5020 and last years Sony HW30 at the same Magnolia store a couple of weeks ago. The convergence on the Epson was so poor I was immediately turned off. Maybe picture quality wouldn't be affected too much watching content at a normal viewing distance but I could never buy one after I saw that. The Sony was damn near spot on.

Yeah, both my Sony's (HW50) were very well aligned, as was the Panasonic PT-AE8000U I briefly had. Every Epson I've tried was terrible. There must be something really wrong with their alignment procedure or something. Here's my Sony HW50 & the Panny I briefly had (I really disliked the Panny, compared to the Sony anyway, so I sent it back):

Note the blurriness in the Panny for red & blue channels as well. Saw this on one of the Epsons also; neither Sony I have/had had this issue.
post #562 of 782 Old 12-13-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufilo View Post

My 6020e (9100W) is also arriving this week. I arranged to have the pixel alignment tested in the shop.
Nevertheless, if convergence is not good, shop can try to correct it via LCD alignment. :-(
Being a newbie, how can I counter-argument that unit after LCD alignment is not OK, since from sitting distance it may look OK?
Can loss of sharpness and/or visual artifacts be clearly spotted?
What's an acceptable pixel misalignment value? up to 1 pixel?
Cheers.

Is there any test patterns I can run besides the menus and LCD alignment grid?

Thanks.
post #563 of 782 Old 12-13-2012, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufilo View Post

Is there any test patterns I can run besides the menus and LCD alignment grid?
Thanks.

Sure, why don't you use these (I forget the original site I downloaded them from, so am reposting them):

http://cl.ly/LaXy
http://cl.ly/LaTu
http://cl.ly/Laeo

Once you open these links, right-click & download the original images. They're all 1080p, so should map directly (1:1).

One of these patterns is what I used for the Panasonic vs. Sony example I posted above.

Cheers.
post #564 of 782 Old 12-13-2012, 10:37 PM

Here is their email response to the whole convergence issue. Looks like you're sol if the misalignment is less than 1.5 pixels.

Thank you for contacting Epson.

If the LCD panels are misaligned by more than 1.5 pixels per side, we may exchange the projector. For example, if the blue is misaligned by 1 pixel on the left and 1.5 on the top, this falls within specification and will not be exchanged because it has to be more than 1.5 pixels on one side to be out of specification. Based upon the picture, you unit is out of the specification. If your projector is still within its two-year warranty period (from the original date of purchase), please contact Epson support. Please call when you are with your computer and projector setup. The representative will assist you with diagnosing the projector issue(s) in order to confirm if a repair/replacement is needed.
United States
Phone Number: Hours:
(562)276-4394 Mon.- Fri. 6AM-8PM (PT)
Sat. 7AM-4PM (PT)
post #565 of 782 Old 12-14-2012, 02:25 AM

@DeSolate & sarangiman - Thanks for the info.
9100W arrived today. I'll test it and post results.
Cheers.
post #566 of 782 Old 12-14-2012, 10:51 AM

Liked: 12
In regard to the new projector that today i was buying i am very desapointed. Today i was to a local store here in Portugal to buy the new epson tw8100 (5020 in US), they have two of them in the store, we tested both to se the convergence issues and both were terrible! I use to have the epson tw3200 (8350 in US) and i never spot this problem before. The seller saw and contact Epson Iberica and reported the problem to them. Lets see what epson will do next!!!
post #567 of 782 Old 12-14-2012, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarangiman View Post

Sure, why don't you use these (I forget the original site I downloaded them from, so am reposting them):
http://cl.ly/LaXy
http://cl.ly/LaTu
http://cl.ly/Laeo
Once you open these links, right-click & download the original images. They're all 1080p, so should map directly (1:1).
One of these patterns is what I used for the Panasonic vs. Sony example I posted above.
Cheers.

Thanks for the patterns! How many pixels wide are the vertical and horizontal lines? I'm seeing any where from 1 to 4 pixels wide with the superior optics of my 5020...eek.gif
post #568 of 782 Old 12-14-2012, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirnak View Post

Thanks for the patterns! How many pixels wide are the vertical and horizontal lines? I'm seeing any where from 1 to 4 pixels wide with the superior optics of my 5020...eek.gif

1 pixel wide. For all patterns.

Yeah it's only Sony or JVC for me. And I've never seen the JVC so I'm just going to be happy with my Sony b/c it's so much better than Panasonic or Epson. I don't even want to see a JVC b/c of the $$ & then I'll always be looking for the motion artifacts people keep complaining about. I think Sony hits the sweet spot.

On the Epson/Pannys, I don't understand why some of the color channels are out of focus while one is completely in focus. I've seen this repeatedly. It's as if not only are the R, G, B panels misaligned in the XY plane (misconvergence), but also along the Z axis. That is, the optical paths for the R, G, B panels are not all equal? Or some other explanation unbeknownst to me.
post #569 of 782 Old 12-14-2012, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Question for the 5020 owners...what settings do you guys have it for 3D ? Dept, etc ? I find 3D to be so unstable. Sometimes it's really clear and sometimes I feel it's either blurry and stuff. Maybe it's my eyes, don't know...
post #570 of 782 Old 12-14-2012, 07:45 PM

I use the defaults for 3D on my 5020 and Blu Ray movies look great with no noticeable crosstalk (or imaging ghosting). However, the video blanks out intermittently for about 2-3 seconds every 10-15 seconds when I have 2D-3D conversion selected or when I try watching one of the 3D channels on DirecTV.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 Projector
Gear in this thread - V11h502020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page