Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1073 Old 09-06-2012, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Below is from the JVC press release:

JVC today announced a new, expanded line of home theater projectors that offers significant improvements in picture performance and upgraded e-shift technology, which upconverts and scales 2D content to a 4K signal. Now called e-shift2, the technology is available in seven new JVC projectors. Other performance-enhancing features include a new illumination system and a new polarizing wire grid in combination with e-shift2 for higher native contrast.

JVC’s 2013 projectors are the Procision Series DLA-X95R, DLA-X75R, DLA-X55R and DLA-X35, marketed by JVC’s Consumer AV Group, and the Reference Series DLA-RS66, DLA-RS56, DLA-RS4810, DLA-RS48 and DLA-RS46, available through JVC Professional Products Company. All are 3D-enabled and all except for the base models in each series offer e-shift2.

Introduced last year on four models, e-shift upconverts and scales 2D HD content to a 4K signal (3840 x 2160) and displays it at full 4K precision. Compared to a Full HD (1920 x 1080) image, that’s twice the horizontal and vertical resolution and four times the number of pixels, or over 8 megapixels. The result is a stunningly detailed image with minimal aliasing artifacts found in standard HD displays. This year’s upgraded e-shift2 technology, available in seven models, provides higher native contrast in combination with a new polarizing wire grid engine.

In other enhancements, new 2K to 4K scaling technology using proprietary JVC algorithms replaces a two-band filter with an eight-band filter to apply more correction to more areas of the image. This delivers a noticeable improvement with any compatible 2D signal. To optimize performance for different content, this Multiple Pixel Control offers five preset modes plus Off.

3D performance has been improved, with new circuitry and a new optical engine responsible for reduced cross talk. The result is more natural, clear and brighter images.

Another key enhancement is a new illumination system, including a new lamp and power supply, which delivers a significant improvement in brightness over the life of the lamp. In addition, the lamp warranty has been extended to one year/1,000 hours.

To provide enthusiasts with a true measure of performance, JVC has long focused on native contrast and refused to artificially enhance contrast specifications through the use of a dynamic iris. For 2013, native contrast has been improved in most models through the use of a new polarizing wire grid, ensuring that every frame consistently and faithfully reproduces peak whites and deep blacks. The flagship DLA-X95R and DLA-RS66 offer a 130,000:1 native contrast ratio. The DLA-X75R and DLA-RS56 offer 90,000:1 native contrast, and the DLA-X55R, DLA-X35, DLA-RS4810, DLA-RS48 and DLA-RS46 offer 50,000:1 native contrast.

Other enhancements new for 2013 are:
· New active shutter glasses for 3D viewing use RF rather than IR technology to offer more stable synchronization and extended range while avoiding possible interference with IR-controlled devices;
· Smartphone application that allows remote control of the projectors from a smartphone or tablet ;
· Additional lens memory settings – Ten for the DLA-X75R, DLA-X95R, DLA-RS56 and DLA-RS66 and five for the DLA-X35, DLA-X55R, DLA-RS46, DLA-RS48 and RS4810. These store custom focus, zoom and horizontal/vertical lens shift position. This allows a constant height display of 4:3, 16:9 , 2.35:1 or any other scope content without an additional anamorphic lens.

The flagship DLA-X95R and DLA-RS66 are built using hand-selected, hand-tested components and have a 130,000:1 native contrast ratio. For 3D viewing, both models come with two pairs of PK-AG3 RF 3D glasses and a PK-EM2 3D Signal Emitter. Both projectors also have a three-year warranty.

The DLA-X75R and DLA-RS56 have a native contrast of 90,000:1.

The DLA-X95R, DLA-X75R, DLA-RS66 and DLA-RS56 feature e-shift2, upgraded light engine, full color management, ISF certification and advanced calibration functionality. In addition, they are designed to pass the 400-plus tests necessary to achieve THX® 3D Certification (pending) – a promise to consumers of the highest level of quality and performance. All JVC THX Certified Projectors include THX 2D and 3D Cinema viewing modes to provide the most accurate color reproduction available in a pre-calibrated setting, ensuring content is rendered back just as its creator intended.
The DLA-X55R, DLA-RS48 and DLA-RS4810 bring e-shift2 to a new price point and feature JVC’s Color Management System, five lens memory presets and a native contrast ratio of 50,000:1. The DLA-RS4810 adds a three year warranty.

The DLA-X35 and DLA-RS46 are 3D-enabled projectors with a 50,000:1 contrast ratio. The DLA-X35 is available with a black or white cabinet.

The new JVC D-ILA home theater projectors will be available in November 2012 at the following prices:
DLA-X95R/DLA-RS66 $11,999
DLA-X75R/DLA-RS56 $7,999
DLA-RS4810 $5,095
DLA-X55R/DLA-RS48 $4,999
DLA-X35/DLA-RS46 $3,499

Together with these new projectors, JVC offers new 3D accessories: the PK-AG3 RF 3D glasses and PK-EM2 RF emitter. Both are compatible with all JVC 3D projectors, including previous models. Also available is a new spare lamp, PK-L2312U, specially designed for JVC’s 2013 models. The PK-L2210U lamp for current JVC projectors remains available.

Accessories prices are:
PK-AG3 RF 3D Glasses $179
PK-EM2 RF Emitter $99
PK-L2312U Lamp $399
SED <--- Rules and Mike_WI like this.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1073 Old 09-06-2012, 06:30 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 443
So my question is about this quote..........

3D performance has been improved, with new circuitry and a new optical engine responsible for reduced cross talk. The result is more natural, clear and brighter images.

So I assume this means they are using the same slow ass 120hz panels? If so, how much can crosstalk realistically be improved? Flicker certainly wont see improvement I would not think. Still no CMD available in 3d from the sounds of it. Where is the "breakthrough" news? These look like a big fat YAWN to me. 1000 hours/1 year on the lamp is nice, but hell we basically have that now. What is there to get excited about really vs last year?

Additional contrast is nice, but what is this realistically going to amount to vs last year in real world viewing? Very little.

Lamps are still expensive as hell vs Sony and some other competitors.

Again, where is the "breakthrough"?

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #3 of 1073 Old 09-06-2012, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
i agree with toe. I am looking to upgrade my HW30 to something with better contrast (i have a 2.4 hi power screen, and miss the deep blacks). I was waiting to see the JVC announcement, but i really want there to be a game mode or something with way less lag than last years JVCs, and also i don't want to get worse 3d, which is what the JVCs have. For the price, i'd rather pick up a new X90 off of ebay for less than 1/2 off. Unless the 3d/lag have been improved, i will pass.
post #4 of 1073 Old 09-06-2012, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well there you have the bare bones we shall have to see what it means in reality because at the bottom end there seems to have been little change from what I can see from a quick glance.

It mentions bulb warranty 1yr/1000 hrs, I though that already applied and contrast 50k on the X35, surely that is what the X30 did.

Whether the bulb tech has improved and if 3D performance is any better we shall have to wait and see.

The only real plus I can see is that e-shift looks to have been refined and is now available at a lower pricepoint than before with the introduction of the X55 model.

Looks like other than the X55 there would be no reason to upgrade and wait for 2014 models in the hope of a more major revision (true 4k hopefully).
post #5 of 1073 Old 09-06-2012, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As for 3D performance, it really comes down to what JVC has been able to do to improve the response time of their DILA display chips. For me the biggest news is bringing CMS and eShift to a $5K price point, or only $1500 more than the entry level model (last year you had to pay a extra $4500 to get CMS and eShift).

The DLA-X55R, DLA-RS48 and DLA-RS4810 bring e-shift2 to a new price point and feature JVC’s Color Management System, five lens memory presets and a native contrast ratio of 50,000:1.

Of the many questions not answered by the press release, the following three are at the top of my list are:

1. What has really been done to improve 3D performance (improved DILA chip response time is the only real cure for the poor 3D crosstalk performance)

2. Do the eShift models now accept a 4K input signal via HDMI?

3. Do the new models use the same lamps as the current projectors (probably not since it has a different part number) and if so does JVC really believe the premature dimming issues have now been resolved with the latest generation of lamps? Also can the new new lamps (i.e, with new part number) be used as a replacement for the old lamps in the previous 2 generations of projector?

Ron Jones
post #6 of 1073 Old 09-06-2012, 06:56 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetrash66 View Post

i agree with toe. I am looking to upgrade my HW30 to something with better contrast (i have a 2.4 hi power screen, and miss the deep blacks). I was waiting to see the JVC announcement, but i really want there to be a game mode or something with way less lag than last years JVCs, and also i don't want to get worse 3d, which is what the JVCs have. For the price, i'd rather pick up a new X90 off of ebay for less than 1/2 off. Unless the 3d/lag have been improved, i will pass.

Good point about the lag. It looks like there wont be any improvment there either or they would be talking it up.

Disappointing.

post #7 of 1073 Old 09-06-2012, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
So, no integrated emitter :-( and glasses still really expensive compared to others.... :-(
post #8 of 1073 Old 09-06-2012, 07:08 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

So I assume this means they are using the same slow ass 120hz panels? If so, how much can crosstalk realistically be improved? Flicker certainly wont see improvement I would not think. Still no CMD available in 3d from the sounds of it. Where is the "breakthrough" news? These look like a big fat YAWN to me. 1000 hours/1 year on the lamp is nice, but hell we basically have that now. What is there to get excited about really vs last year?
Additional contrast is nice, but what is this realistically going to amount to vs last year in real world viewing? Very little.

I agree where is the breakthrough. frown.gif I know I must be dreaming but I was hoping for 4k at least for there X95 and X75

Frank

post #9 of 1073 Old 09-06-2012, 07:15 AM

I doubt that the full CMS is included at that price so we will have to wait and see but if it does the full cms and e-shift 2 are well worth the extra over the X35 price.

4pm Uk time:It has just been confirmed by a JVC UK employee that it is indeed a full fat CMS so for me that says the X55 is the sweet spot in the range.
post #10 of 1073 Old 09-06-2012, 07:16 AM

Liked: 11
It would be great to hear from people who were under the NDA with JVC. Has someone seen one in action or heard directly from a JVC representative? Do the words on the press release amount to understating improvements in regards to image on the screen... or overstating?
post #11 of 1073 Old 09-06-2012, 07:21 AM

Has anyone seen one? Are they using the same housing this year?
post #12 of 1073 Old 09-06-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I agree where is the breakthrough. frown.gif I know I must be dreaming but I was hoping for 4k at least for there X95 and X75

^Yes - I'm now anxiously awaiting the 2014 model lineup (w/ possible breakthrough technology?)smile.gif
post #13 of 1073 Old 09-06-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

Of the many questions not answered by the press release, the following three are at the top of my list are:

1. What has really been done to improve 3D performance (improved DILA chip response time is the only real cure for the poor 3D crosstalk performance)

2. Do the eShift models now accept a 4K input signal via HDMI?

3. Do the new models use the same lamps as the current projectors and if so does JVC really believe the premature dimming issues have now been resolved with the latest generation of lamps?

thanks for posting Ron.

I think the 3D improvements (if any) is the # 1 question on everyone's mind. The crosstalk tools last year didn't do a thing to improve the 3D, hopefully they found a way to help in this area. I doubt they are going to be running difficult 3D content through the JVC's at CEDIA.

I wasn't expecting a lamp change, this is a little transparent that the current series is likely still an issue even with the 'flapper' modification or they would have re-used it again this year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 1073 Old 09-06-2012, 08:24 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

So I assume this means they are using the same slow ass 120hz panels?
Discriminating consumers realize its what they don't say which is the most important.
The new lamps are $400 which is not too bad if they are reliable and meet specification. The one year lamp replacement implies they have been losing sales.

"This year’s upgraded e-shift2 technology, available in seven models, provides higher native contrast in combination with a new polarizing wire grid engine."

This is their best statement. As everyone knows there are two types of native contrast. On/off is great but who wants the "pop" of ANSi contrast?
Perhaps the new wire grid engine will reduce the light scatter and raise the poor ANSI contrast.

The battle this year will be between the DLA-X55R/DLA-RS48 $4,999MSRP and Sony 50ES.

Contrast this to the DLP camp announcing improved Dark Chip 3 DMD at lower prices.
post #15 of 1073 Old 09-06-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Or perhaps the lamp issue was so overwhelming that they felt it best to ditch it and move on. I haven't read much lamp chatter lately so I was hoping the flapper fixed the problem. May be just wishful thinking on my part... I would like to know who manufacturers the new lamp. Hopefully it's Phillips.

The new projector sounds like a nice incremental improvement over the current models. I'll be curious to read comparisons between this years eshift and eshift2. That said, I'm quite happy with my RS55 and Darbee combo and with the new Chromapure/Lumagen 125 Point auto cal saturation and luminance tracking issues should be mostly corrected which could further improve my RS55 PQ.

Geof
post #16 of 1073 Old 09-06-2012, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

thanks for posting Ron.
I think the 3D improvements (if any) is the # 1 question on everyone's mind. The crosstalk tools last year didn't do a thing to improve the 3D, hopefully they found a way to help in this area. I doubt they are going to be running difficult 3D content through the JVC's at CEDIA.
I wasn't expecting a lamp change, this is a little transparent that the current series is likely still an issue even with the 'flapper' modification or they would have re-used it again this year.

The new lamps (new part number) are also $100 less (MSRP) than the previous generation of lamps. They may has switched lamps, or suppliers, to reduce the cost and/or to improve bulb life - only time will tell. A really good question for JVC is can the new lamps be used in the past 2 generations of JVC projectors (i.e., are the new lamps a direct replacement for the old lamps)?

By the way the breakthrough JVC referred to probably related to the 4K LCD/LED monitors they also announced at CEDIA. I assume they are using panels sourced from LG (as is Sony). The JVC price is "under $20K".

Ron Jones
post #17 of 1073 Old 09-06-2012, 08:47 AM
J.P

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post

I would like to know who manufacturers the new lamp. Hopefully it's Phillips

If it was a Osram or Philips lamp in the new line.I think JVC vould have said it in the press release.
post #18 of 1073 Old 09-06-2012, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

The new lamps (new part number) are also $100 less (MSRP) than the previous generation of lamps. They may has switched lamps, or suppliers, to reduce the cost and/or to improve bulb life - only time will tell. A really good question for JVC is can the new lamps be used in the past 2 generations of JVC projectors (i.e., are the new lamps a direct replacement for the old lamps)?

By the way the breakthrough JVC referred to probably related to the 4K LCD/LED monitors they also announced at CEDIA. I assume they are using panels sourced from LG (as is Sony). The JVC price is "under $20K".

"Also available is a new spare lamp, PK-L2312U, specially designed for JVC’s 2013 models. The PK-L2210U lamp for current JVC projectors remains available."

This statement leads me to believe they may have modified the existing chassis for this new lamp. There was also mention of a power supply change.

What I wouldn't give to be at Cedia with this single 3D disk and my Nikon D90 on a tripod. We could answer all the 3D questions in a short period time.

post #20 of 1073 Old 09-06-2012, 09:14 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

^^^^^^^^^^^YES Zombie! Somebody going to Cedia bring along Patagonia and lets really test the 3d on these new projectors! cool.gif

post #21 of 1073 Old 09-06-2012, 09:15 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Edit: double post

post #22 of 1073 Old 09-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Wait so the new projectors have the same chassis? No new design? confused.gif

Edit: Looks like they will have the same chassis. That's fine to me.
post #23 of 1073 Old 09-06-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
For the low end RS46 this pretty much sounds like the same projector as the RS45 with the exception of a few minor upgrades. The 3D improvements sounds like marketing fluff to me. If I upgrade this year I seriously doubt I'll be interested in a JVC. The 2D is very good on the RS45 but I want to see improvements in 3D and if there were noticeable improvements I think more would have been said than what was said.
post #24 of 1073 Old 09-06-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Nothing really to get excited over. I don't see why any would chose the more expensive eshift models over the X55.
post #25 of 1073 Old 09-06-2012, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbfern View Post

I doubt that the full CMS is included at that price so we will have to wait and see but if it does the full cms and e-shift 2 are well worth the extra over the X35 price.
4pm Uk time:It has just been confirmed by a JVC UK employee that it is indeed a full fat CMS so for me that says the X55 is the sweet spot in the range.

could one not use the functions in the ISF ccc on a top level receiver instead of onboard CMS??????
post #26 of 1073 Old 09-06-2012, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

Nothing really to get excited over. I don't see why any would chose the more expensive eshift models over the X55.

What about the contrast level difference? 50,000:1 vs 90,000:1 seems like there will be a noticeable difference between the two. Am I wrong?
post #27 of 1073 Old 09-06-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by SED <--- Rules View Post

What about the contrast level difference? 50,000:1 vs 90,000:1 seems like there will be a noticeable difference between the two. Am I wrong?

For $3000 more, i don't think its work it. The only thing the made a difference to me between the RS40, 50,000, vs the RS55, 80,000, was the eshift.
post #28 of 1073 Old 09-06-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
JVC passed out KOOLAID to anyone willing to sip.
post #29 of 1073 Old 09-06-2012, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

For $3000 more, i don't think its work it. The only thing the made a difference to me between the RS40, 50,000, vs the RS55, 80,000, was the eshift.

Very true. Then it looks like the RS48/X55 will be the new sweet spot. It has a CMS, e-shift2, improved 3D, and 50,000:1 contrast. Sounds good. smile.gif
post #30 of 1073 Old 09-06-2012, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I wonder if the new lamps will fit in the RS40/45's.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Jvc Dla X30b 3d D Ila Projector , Jvc Dla Rs66 , Jvc Dla Rs46 Projector , Jvc Dla Rs48 D Ila Projector
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page