Long throw projector? 3d/gaming - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-13-2012, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hello, just bought new house, and the room for my HT is evidently too big...

29x 19, the projector is going the long way.

I need it to do:

#1 2d
#2 3d
#3 gaming

If rate the importance of each it would be like this:

#1 2d

#4 3d
#7 gaming.

If that makes sense. LIke is said, its a long throw, that I didn't think would be an issue. The room will be completely light controlled.

Thank you advance!

TK Doom

Unreal Tournament Forever
Project Gotham Racing too!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 163
You do not have to mount the PJ at the very back of the room, unless you were planning on shelf mounting it flush against the wall. I don't see that room as being a problem. Without knowing your budget, the two projectors you might look at are the Epson 5010 and the JVC RS-45 (or the newer JVC's which are due out for shipping around XMAS to late Jan).

You did not specify your anticipated screen size or budget, so the question cannot be answered. There are not that many long-throw projectors that do 3D, but I do not think you need a long throw, some of the really expensive 3D ones might have interchangeable lenses (Runcos, Sim3D ones), but after buying the PJ and the lens we are probably talking over $10,000. I know some of the older Optomas (hd8600) also had an interchangeable lens, but these are not 3D and I don't think any of the newer Optomas with 3D had an intechangeable throw lens.

Overall, from the top of my head, the Epson 5010 for under $3000 is able to produce the smallest images from the longest throws (about 25 feet back it can do an image as small as 120"). Also keep in mind this is from the lens, so the projector itself will stick out another 1 foot or so from the mounting position.

You might also consider the JVC's since they can do a 120" image from about 24' back from the lens, and they are even bigger projectors.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Old 09-15-2012, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

$10k for both projector and screen, plus or minus a bit depending on the "WOW" factor.

I really like the CineCurve Stewart screens, but have no idea of the price, so i'm probably going to be getting a fixed 2.35 screen off amazon at first.

Then I'm guessing i would self mask it with some black velvet when watching non-scope movies.

I'd really like something with lens memory of some sort, because i would like to be able to mount the projector and go.

I wanted it at the back of my room so that i could put it atop my component rack. Alternately I could hang it from the ceiling, but ceiling is vaulted so as you get closer to the screen from teh back wall it gets taller and taller before peaking and coming back down.

I have been looking at soooo many projectors, and thought of getting the RS45, but somethign clicked that made me think it would not suit my purpose.

Thank you very much for replying!

TK Doom

Old 09-15-2012, 10:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 163
You might want to wait until the newer JVC's are released which MIGHT (big question mark there) have much improved 3D. Your question is hard to answer because the replacement to the JVC RS-55 or RS-65 is probably going to be the MOVIE leader this year under $10k, unless Sony pulls a magic trick out of their hat. Otherwise, maybe look at the Runcos, but if your focus on movies, I think the JVC is better due to higher contrast for the price. Also, the JVC's do have lens memory.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Old 09-16-2012, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 54
You could be at $10k for the screen alone for a curved micro-perf screen depending on size, material, etc. With that throw distance (~ 26' to the lens) a 2.35:1 CIH screen might be tough if you plan to use the zoom feature because you will probably be near the far end of the zoom. So you wouldn't be able to zoom out to fit 16:9 within the 2.35 screen. And if you go with a larger screen you might not have enough lumens to get a reference picture. This is assuming one of the JVC models.

What screen size? Is it going to be an AT screen?
Old 09-16-2012, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I can always have the project ceiling mounted i guess, i suppose the problem will be how close do i need to get to the screen?

also....i had not seen prices for the stewart screens (and still haven't), they look really good..and it got me excited....

So I guess i need to get the best 2.35:1 fixed screen that i can find, since I really dont' have the $20k for the screen right now....

So i'm guesssing $1000 worht of a fixed screen, a projecter worth producing my orginal needs then buy CineCurve equiv in a few years.

TK Doom

Old 09-17-2012, 02:41 PM

Liked: 54
You won't see a price list for Stewart screens because each is custom made. So the dealer has to go through their configuration to give a price. They do have some standard sizes. The micro-perf adds a fair amount to the screen that's why I asked about using an acoustically transparent (AT) screen.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:59 AM

Liked: 10
Another option for long throw is the Navitar ScreenStar lenses. I got the 120-model to use an HW30 in a long throw setup. Can't comment on the result yet as I'm still working on the room. Will lose some light, but then I'm not so limited as to what projector I can use and my screen is only 104" anyway.

Tags
Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Optoma Hd8600 50 000 Contrast Ratio Hdmi , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Sony Vpl Hw30es 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com