Need help picking projector/screen pair for basement theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-14-2012, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in the process of building a basement theater area and could use some help picking a projector and screen to fit my space.

The space is not a completely closed room while it is open to the basement on one side. There is a single window in the theater area but light can be easily controlled so I an expecting very low ambient light if desired. I would like for the screen to be watchable with lights on in the adjoining bar area. Viewing angle is also important since the screen is viewable from outside the immediate focus area.

My throw distance is around 13.5 ft.

The first row of seating is 11-12ft

The second row of seating is at 18-19ft.

The front wall for the screen can accommodate a 100'' diagonal if my front mains sit to the side. Using an AT screen I have 129'' wide by 93'' high to work with.

I am looking for a 3d capable projector. I have looked at the jvc 45/30, optoma 33 and Epson 5010 but am open to input.

I appreciate any direction in my projector choice and screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-15-2012, 05:29 AM

Liked: 18
Sounds like the Benq W7000 would fit the bill as long as you're not RBE sensitive. It's a light cannon (31 ft-lamberts at your throw) which can be tamed with a filter and will look good with the lights on and from what I understand, offers some of the best 3D around. With new projectors starting to roll out though, it's likely a good idea to wait for a bit before pulling the trigger on anything.

What's your viewing split as that will have an impact on your selection as well (movies/tv/gaming)? A pj like the 5010 is a nice unit, but likely won't meet your needs if you game a lot for example.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-15-2012, 05:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigmm View Post

I am in the process of building a basement theater area and could use some help picking a projector and screen to fit my space.
The space is not a completely closed room while it is open to the basement on one side. There is a single window in the theater area but light can be easily controlled so I an expecting very low ambient light if desired. I would like for the screen to be watchable with lights on in the adjoining bar area. Viewing angle is also important since the screen is viewable from outside the immediate focus area.
My throw distance is around 13.5 ft.
The first row of seating is 11-12ft
The second row of seating is at 18-19ft.
The front wall for the screen can accommodate a 100'' diagonal if my front mains sit to the side. Using an AT screen I have 129'' wide by 93'' high to work with.
I am looking for a 3d capable projector. I have looked at the jvc 45/30, optoma 33 and Epson 5010 but am open to input.
I appreciate any direction in my projector choice and screen.

When you say looking for a 3D capable projector, is 3D high on your list or you just want to be able to watch 3D if you want to? Reason I ask, Projectors that are better at 2D are not as good with 3D and projectors that are great with 3D are not the top performer with 2D. What is it that you intend to use your projector for? In other words list your priorities.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #4 of 7 Old 09-15-2012, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

I would like the ability to watch 3d but it is not a critical factor.

My viewing will be mostly 16:9 tv followed by movies and some gaming. I would say 50/40/10 percentage wise.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-16-2012, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

What do folks think of the Optoma HD33 for my application?

I was looking at pairing that with a 123" Vutec greydove .85 gain screen.

Would this be a good combo? What other screens do you recommend?
post #6 of 7 Old 09-16-2012, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 278
That screen would be a bad option for 3D, especially when paired with that projector. You'd need more lumens for a good 3D picture, it will way too dim for an enjoyable experience. You should try looking into a higher gain screen.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-16-2012, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigmm View Post

I would like the ability to watch 3d but it is not a critical factor.
My viewing will be mostly 16:9 tv followed by movies and some gaming. I would say 50/40/10 percentage wise.

If your top priorities are TV & movies then get on AVS's pre-order list for an RS46. It will provide FAR better picture quality than the HD33. It will also offer much better installation flexibility with it's motorized zoom, focus, and lens shift. (The HD33 doesn't even include manual lens shift.) The JVC's get low marks for gaming due to their slow response times, so you need to choose your priorities before laying down your money.

Da-Lite's High Power screen is an excellent match for the JVC since it isn't a light cannon. You'll appreciate the extra gain during 3D viewing and you can log more hours between lamp changes. You should mount the pj close to eye level to maximize the gain. You should also limit the lighting in the bar area to keep the image from washing out. Low power spot lighting directed away from the screen & having dark walls in the HT & bar areas can help with that challenge.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Optoma Hd33 3d Ready Dlp Projector , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Jvc Dla Rs46 Projector
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page