Sony VPL-VW60 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-17-2012, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I'm a newbie here, my friend is selling his Sony VW60 for $650, they were $4000+ when new. Anyone has experience with this model, is this a good buy assuming it is in a mint condition? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-20-2012, 11:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
We have owned a VW-60 for about 4 years now. Best video investment we ever made. So good in fact, we no longer own a TV so our VW60 has done all of the TV/movie heavy lifting during this entire time. I just replaced the lamp yesterday for the 4th time (previous lamp had 2,200 hours) so the pj now has around 6k hours on it. The verdict on the picture quality after installing the new SONY OEM lamp: nothing short of gorgeous. Just as beautiful as the first day I fired it up. If you look at the Official SONY VPL-VW60 AVS thread you will find multitudes of very satisfied owners. In my experience, along with that of numerous owners, this projector has been very stable (unlike its predecessor the VPL-VW50, which we also owned and had numerous problems with). Many VW60 owners have hung onto this pj instead of "trading up" for all of the reasons I have mentioned above: it is one heck of a solid pj!

Does it do 3D? No

Is the picture as sharp as some of the newer pjs? No, it is possibly slightly less sharp but it still throws a magnificent picture and if you want the sharpness can be tweaked either in the pj settings or if you own a current model ONKYO pre-pro or receiver, you can use the on board video processor using the pre-pro or receiver, or from what I have heard, you can improve the sharpness by ordering a DARBEE Darblet.

Is the VW60 as bright as some of the newer pj's? No, but we have light controlled room the is not a dedicated theater room with light colored walls (except for the screen wall and 3 1/2 feet on either side of it which are all painted a dark tan color) and we are using a 100 inch tab-tensioned Stewart Firehawk SST gray Electriscreen (1.3 gain) to cut down on ambient light and the picture is very bright. To give you an idea of how bright, we didn't need to start using the "Hi lamp" setting until the previous lamp had around 1,700 hours on it!

If your friend's VW60 has fairly low hours in total on the projector and he has taken good care of it: Non smoker, clean HT environment, he has cleaned the pj's filter on a regular basis (I clean ours every couple of months or less), he puts the lens cap back on after he is done using the projector (very important because it keeps dust out of the lens mechanism area) and the lens has no scratches on it (also very important that you check to make sure because one of the high points to this specific pj is the high quality of the lens), and if the current lamp has less than 1,000 hours on it or he has a new or used spare lamp with low hours on it that he will throw in with the deal (if not see if he will take off $50 towards your purchase of a new lamp).

If the answer to the above questions is generally "Yes" and he has taken good care of it; you will be able to tell if you give it a good examination/going over with a fine tooth comb, and he is the original owner, the pj was purchased new: was not a dealer demo unit, "B stock" or refurbished. Then $650 is a very fair price.

That said, I would strongly encourage you to demo the pj BEFORE you make any decision by having him show you a number of the "Tier 0" blu-ray films listed on this AVS web page:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1168342/the-new-pq-tier-thread-for-blu-ray-rankings

You want to view a number of the "Tier 0" blu-ray films listed because they have the sharpest and best all around video picture available.
Either bring them yourself to the demo or have him show you some of the titles from this list which he owns. Try to demo a number of movies you are very familiar with because that will help you in your decision making process.

You will be able to judge the quality of the picture his pj throws by viewing these for yourself.

The only other question you may want to ask is if his pj has been professionally calibrated? If yes, great, if no... sometime in the future have it done. We did and it made a huge difference; it turned an already great pj into a stellar pj and was money well spent.

I hope the above proves helpful. One thing I can tell you is this: once you own a high-quality pj like the SONY VPL-VW60 and a good 100 inch or larger pj screen, you will never go back to or be satisfied with a flat-panel TV ever again. That is the overwhelming consensus of everyone who has taken a chance and made the move to a high-quality pj and screen.

PM me if you have any further questions and be sure to let us all know how you make out.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-21-2012, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
I found the JVC RS1 had better black than the Sony VW60, but it's hard to find one at $650. Color wise the Sony is a tad more natural but I like the "pop" which reminds me of DLP but w/o the RBE.

Dynamic iris does not work for me since I watched quite a bit of sci-fi and found the Sony picture tends to be more 2-D (flat) than the JVC's.

Bottomline, I preferred LCoS over the other technology, so Sony and JVC are the only pj's I would consider.

YMMV.
post #4 of 7 Old 09-23-2012, 03:17 AM

Liked: 10
I enjoyed my vw60. There is no cms. The easiest way to get perfect color is to get professional calibration with a lumagen or iscan duo. Without a lumagen, my unit had significant color errors that could not be corrected via internal settings. Even without perfect color you will love it. Beware that black level and shadow details are not its strong suit
post #5 of 7 Old 09-24-2012, 02:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Does it do 3D? No

Well,... My VW60 does.

I bought a 3D VIP 3D Displayer and poof the VW60 does 3D.

I also bought a 3D HDTV (plasma) which is much brighter but I still enjoy 3D on the VW60. It makes the picture much dimmer so if you need all the brightness of it's 2D mode then you won't want to try 3D.

-Brian
post #6 of 7 Old 09-24-2012, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

Does it do 3D? No
Well,... My VW60 does.
I bought a 3D VIP 3D Displayer and poof the VW60 does 3D.
I also bought a 3D HDTV (plasma) which is much brighter but I still enjoy 3D on the VW60. It makes the picture much dimmer so if you need all the brightness of it's 2D mode then you won't want to try 3D.
-Brian

I was speaking about the VW60 being able to do 3D on it's own. But you do bring up a valuable point. I have neard of a number of VW60 owners going that route by adding a 3D VIP 3D Displayer. I bet that coupled with a Darbee Darblet would be an additional way to extend the life of a VPL-VW60!
post #7 of 7 Old 09-25-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Yep,.. It's not natively able to do 3D. (And, I knew that's what you meant.)

And,.. Maybe not the best choice for 3D anyways because it's not the brightest projector.

Brightness is nearly the most important thing for a 3D projector.

Still,... The VW60 doesn't have the frame locking problem that keeps the 3D-VIP solution from working. (JVC models have that problem.)

I was resolved to forget 3D on my own VW60 because my plasma is 10 to 20 times brighter (though it doesn't Seem that much brighter.) However, I setup a different memory for 3d with very un-conservertative settings and I get a very enjoy-able picture with no ghosting that I can spot. (I don't have Despicable Me to test with... I hear ghosting is pretty bad on that one.)

EDIT - Oh and Jmouse007,.. I'm in New Hampshire too. Live Free or Diet

-Brian
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw60 Home Cinema Projector , Jvc Dla Rs1 Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page