Offical JVC DLA-RS4810 Owners Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1839 Old 12-03-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It is disappointing that JVC can't get color OOTB to be better than it is. This has been going on for years now and it is getting tiring. Come on JVC, I know you can do better than this!

That said, JVC's OOTB color is still better than most other manufacturer's. But, like I tell my kids, doing what everyone else does isn't good enough if you know you can do better.

Affable Nitwit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1839 Old 12-03-2012, 07:43 AM

Liked: 14
They wants Lumagen to sell more scalers!smile.gif
post #273 of 1839 Old 12-03-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post

It is disappointing that JVC can't get color OOTB to be better than it is. This has been going on for years now and it is getting tiring. Come on JVC, I know you can do better than this!

Tough crowd. Wow!
post #274 of 1839 Old 12-03-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

Yeah... $20 would work (but $40 per...no way! eek.gif). Guess it all depends for me if the new JVC glasses offer any benefit over the X104's. If not then the only benefit is the IR flooding in the room and now that I control the theater with an iPad thru WiFi (iRule), that's no longer an issue for me. To your point... the JVC IR emitter has been solid. smile.gif

I have a TV/projector setup so I'm stuck with IR for my Samsung LCD now and am still waiting for iRule to allow IP commands to my Panasonic BDT310 Blu-Ray player. IR is old technology wink.gif.
post #275 of 1839 Old 12-03-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Originally Posted by Geof

Are you saying that every color mode or profile is smaller than Rec 709? How do the other colorspaces compare to the Anime mode you posted?
Quote:
Originally Posted by R10KYJ View Post

Sorry, long day today. I have attached a few more graphs. I can't find my user, standard one, but I am sure I did that. Cinema Mode.pdf 1061k .pdf file Film Mode.pdf 1072k .pdf file Film Mode, standard profile.pdf 1065k .pdf file Natural.pdf 1063k .pdf file stage.pdf 1065k .pdf file User1, anime profile.pdf 1066k .pdf file

Can someone of those of you that know let me know if from what you are seeing in these profiles on this projector that it is likely an experienced pro with great gear such as UMR will still be able to dial in a 4810 at least as good as has been able to do with my RS50, with all the issues it had? Supposedly the "blanking" that was talked about so much on those models was improved last year with the RS55. I realize some small trade offs had to be made on the 50 with everything I read but being a novice. But should the 4810 be able to be dialed in at least as well without having to sacrifice much if any brightness from one of these profiles? Or even better should it be able to give a better calibration than the 50?

Thanks!
post #276 of 1839 Old 12-03-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Please define better calibration.With or without using an external CMS. Measured how and using what measuring device?

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #277 of 1839 Old 12-03-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Please define better calibration.With or without using an external CMS. Measured how and using what measuring device?

Without an external device. The high end experienced pro with the kick ass equipment would have to use the internal CMS. Just asking if that same scenario as was for my 50 can be expected, or maybe some of the 50's color issues are not looking quite as troublesome here?

Hi Mark!!
post #278 of 1839 Old 12-03-2012, 11:09 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by guido310 View Post

Here you are the same pictures without Darbee, as before JVC RS48 Out Of The Box without any adjustment
ON
http://imageshack.us/a/img585/7734/pict0003jpeg.jpg
OFF
http://imageshack.us/a/img705/5415/pict0002jpeg.jpg
The owner, witch previously had JVC RS45, says that with Eshift 2 OFF the picture is less detailed than his former 45 and newer 46, in the same conditions...how this could be possible?

It would seem that the E-Shift is picking up the noise in the same way that the Reality Creation circuit does at a similar strength.

Tuned down a bit and that would look great.
post #279 of 1839 Old 12-03-2012, 11:25 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehotaone View Post

It would seem that the E-Shift is picking up the noise in the same way that the Reality Creation circuit does at a similar strength.
Tuned down a bit and that would look great.

The owner says that is just to show how is Out of the box and that noise is not raised as much as definition, proportionally
post #280 of 1839 Old 12-04-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

OK now I am officially excited. I'm copying this post from our fine friends' forum in the UK because I expect it will be gone shortly. Has only been up a bit over an hour. They don't let the poor guys that are advertisers there but also huge fans of HT like the rest of us ever give any opinions. Personally I feel the forum loses that way. Who here didn't know that Mark Haflich was selling these projectors and others.....and still greatly wanted his first hand opinions on what he was seeing.

But this is getting down to 1st hand observations now of final product:

Vipers @ HiFi Lounge
Assured Advertiser

I know it's early days but I am nothing but impressed at the moment with the X55 and especially eShift2, I'm also really impressed with the Pixel adjust, far more accurate than my 750 with really fine tolerances, never really go too involved with my X30 as I didn't have it too long, it's also excellent how you can then break down the grid into smaller sections for a more accurate fine tune, not really sure how JVC achieve that but very clever non the less, on my 750 I could never get the red to sit perfect but on the X55 it is absolutely perfect.

I had a quick play with eShift, I really wasn't expecting it to be this good, from switching it from on to off and on again it is like going from SD to HD, the extra level of apparent detail is amazing, it reminded me of a few years ago when you'd increase the sharpness a little but then you'd get all sorts of issues, this gives the detail and sharpness but without the issues, very clever.

I used Dark Knight as usual, just because I've seen this on many a screen and PJ in the past and I can honestly say I have never seen a picture like this, ridiculous black levels with astounding levels of detail, especially on close ups of faces and fine detail like the clowns masks hair that they are wearing at the beginning, I shudder at the thought of how good a X95 must be.

I'm sure this has all been said before, but I have been out of the PJ scene for a couple of models really and it is great to see that JVC have really moved things on but at the same time have kept that beautiful filmic, rich quality to the image.

I'll hopefully get some more time to tinker over the weekend as I'm looking forward to giving the 3D a whirl, although with an image this good in 2D I can't see me spending too much time watching 3D to be honest.
post #281 of 1839 Old 12-06-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

.......also posted in the other RS4810 and CEDIA & Glasses thread:

"maybe they should close this one ?"

I would think hopefully they're merged because there are going to be highly anticipated first impressions of first owners. Maybe for now any of those should be posted in both?

I'm going to do that. Below is a copy of what I sent to Mike at AVS having to drop off pre-order list. I have an important demo on the 15th and needed to make sure I had one. For not too bad more I instead purchased it local from an installer / calibration / optimization person and will called it from AVAD in Van Nuys yesterday. Spent a lot of time looking at familiar demo material including awesome 1080P scenic photos save on my PS3 that I've been collecting since the RS1 came out. Wow! Coming from a superb RS50 UMR magic done.....as well. I agree completely with Projofan above about colors out of the box in user 1 standard profile (for me) with C gamma looking best to me whatever the hell that is.... Miss the actual numbers for gamma that are probably RS56 and up. Also agree with him about the lack of noise and liking Film 4K conversion the best. It is sweet! Seemingly on pristine material you can take the "enhance slider" way up to no real ill effect vs positive trade off. Very impressive depth added on its own before I even get to the Darblet added in. I can see now why eShift people last model were running at considerably lower Darbee settings than me quite happy higher with non eShift 1080P settings.

to Mike:

"If my unit is any indication of the "QC" people are going to love these machines. Dead perfect convergence middle 5-6 feet of 8.5' wide 16x9 AR screen. On both just the sides red off horizontally in opposite directions by no more than 1/2 pixel. Focus and color uniformity excellent. Blacks look as good to me as my RS50 rated at 70,000:1 in same projector location and zero bright corners.

The eShift2 looks tremendous on its own and with my high quality 1080P scenic photographs saved on PS3, seemingly I can take the "enhance" slider in all the modes way the hell up and not notice any negative effect, only positive. Not sure about all the sliders. My guy doing the calibration has the RS55 and probably can give me some guidance. He's moving on too to the RS56. It looks much better out of the box with that dimensionality than what I saw on his machine about 5 months ago, and still plays very well with the Darblet! User 1 standard color profile seems very nice for out of the box color."
post #282 of 1839 Old 12-07-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Just got the words from Mike @ AVS yesterday that they should be getting the shipment of the RS4810 next Monday, and should go straight to the pre-order'er that afternoon!! eek.gif Too bad my HT isn't ready yet.... frown.gif
post #283 of 1839 Old 12-07-2012, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

Just got the words from Mike @ AVS yesterday that they should be getting the shipment of the RS4810 next Monday, and should go straight to the pre-order'er that afternoon!! eek.gif Too bad my HT isn't ready yet.... frown.gif

Yup, he told me Monday also when I spoke to him on Wednesday. Next monday? As in the 10th or the 17th?
post #284 of 1839 Old 12-07-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post

Yup, he told me Monday also when I spoke to him on Wednesday. Next monday? As in the 10th or the 17th?
The 10th if I didn't misunderstand him.
post #285 of 1839 Old 12-07-2012, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

The 10th if I didn't misunderstand him.

YAY!!!!! I'm getting excited now biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
post #286 of 1839 Old 12-08-2012, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 96
post #287 of 1839 Old 12-08-2012, 07:12 AM

Liked: 10
Hey Guys, I’ve been following the thread for a while awaiting the 4810 as well. Mine arrived Wednesday afternoon at my distributors, one word,..................WOW. I’m upgrading from the RSU40 and the difference is not night and day, its worlds of difference. The 4K was the deciding point for me and well worth the extra grand. Just in 4K shift alone the definition is more like what I have seen when I have installed from a RSU45 to a RSU55 or to a RSU65. I got another upgrade with the click of the 4K setting. The even better news is I haven’t even gotten into the major adjustments yet, just the basics. What I can tell you thus far is, out of the box, this is the best JVC I have ever seen. Colors at first glance are spot on and I expect to get even better as I delve into convergence and pixel adjustment. Definition is amazing as well as colors. Between hi-def TV(Time Warner) and several Blu-rays(Star Trek, Avengers, Dark Knight) the effort put into the unit by JVC is apparent. It’s almost freaky how good a Blu-ray looks on my SI Black Diamond screen. I’ll keep you posted as I learn more about it. The waits almost over guys, you won't be sorry.
post #288 of 1839 Old 12-08-2012, 09:15 AM

I pre- ordered early and received an invoice yesterday. I guess that probably confirms the aforementioned ETA.
post #289 of 1839 Old 12-08-2012, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

I'm not sure if the Invoice means anything. I pre-ordered the end of November sometime and got my Invoice on November 28th. Either way, I'm sure we're real close.
post #290 of 1839 Old 12-09-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone calibrated their display yet using the CMS? Just curious how accurate it was along with how far off were the colors to begin with?
post #291 of 1839 Old 12-09-2012, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Will know next Friday as a calibration is scheduled. Should have about 100 hours on it purposely by then. Colors don't look bad in User 1 Standard color profile with Gamma "C" chosen (whatever that is), but I know what great calibrations look like so expect it to substantially get better, even with just the projector's CMS.
post #292 of 1839 Old 12-09-2012, 05:49 PM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
IA few impressions on my unit...

The unit is a bit louder than the previous few generations, but not incredibly so. This unit has more pop and dimension than my RS45, even without Eshift2 enabled, with it I see a halo around text, however, with it there is a nice jump in perceived definition, making a substantial bit of extra "wow-factor'. I have no bright corners, my convergence is just about spot on, and I am thoroughly happy with this unit!

Enjoy.

PS I have an extra unit if someone is looking...
post #293 of 1839 Old 12-09-2012, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

A number of people now reporting really good convergence with the RS46 and 4810 or X35 and X55. Maybe JVC came up with a better work flow to make that happen. Let's hope. It really does make a difference in ultimate detail and sharpness it seems to me. Pretty impressive to see so much of the screen be perfect white one pixel crosshatch pattern with no bleeding colors. eek.gif
post #294 of 1839 Old 12-09-2012, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

I am totally gobsmacked that people are reporting more pop from the latest crop of JVC projectors. I just got my b stock RS40 and Darbee from AVS and I am over the moon compared to my Sony VPL-HS10. Having eShift2 must be so sweet especially of you have a row of seats closer to the screen. I will probably try to pick it up 2 years down the line when AVS start picking up some B stock of the today's current crop of JVC projectors.
post #295 of 1839 Old 12-09-2012, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndonlim View Post

I am totally gobsmacked that people are reporting more pop from the latest crop of JVC projectors. I just got my b stock RS40 and Darbee from AVS and I am over the moon compared to my Sony VPL-HS10. Having eShift2 must be so sweet especially of you have a row of seats closer to the screen. I will probably try to pick it up 2 years down the line when AVS start picking up some B stock of the today's current crop of JVC projectors.

Oh, well, any "RS" JVC projector is in a completely different world from your old Sony. Even the RS1 would have been in a different league. That Sony is from a different era... when getting close to 1000:1 CR was the target. This is when the Panasonics and Epsons were 700:1 too. Yes, welcome to the world of modern projectors. We just re-visited the first Harry Potter movie with a Lumagen Mini-3D/C6/CalMAN combo to auto-calibrate the 125 point color cube and do a 21 point gray-scale and gamma. The results are spectacular, absolutely spectacular on my "old" RS20! And, I've seen an uncalibrated RS55 which wasn't spectacular. Now we're getting to the point where a proper room and good calibration is more important than the most recent projector model.
post #296 of 1839 Old 12-10-2012, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
How long should you wait until you calibrate your brand new model
post #297 of 1839 Old 12-10-2012, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Well I'm going to run an autocal (Lumagen/Chromapure combo) one night this week and I've only got 10 hours on my X35 so far. I know it will drift, but I'll just do it again as the hours mount up. If I was paying a pro then I'd wait until 100 hours at least.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #298 of 1839 Old 12-10-2012, 01:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Ok thank you. I have a Disney wow disk a friend have me can I just use that in the meantime until 100 hours? Or anything else you suggest? I'm getting a r46 as well
post #299 of 1839 Old 12-10-2012, 06:07 AM

Received my invoice on Saturday. Now I'm getting REALLY excited. HDMI cables have been run. The G-20 and mount come down tonight in anticipation of arrival tomorrow or Wednesday. Based on what I have been reading here I think there will be a notable difference.
post #300 of 1839 Old 12-10-2012, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

Oh, well, any "RS" JVC projector is in a completely different world from your old Sony. Even the RS1 would have been in a different league. That Sony is from a different era... when getting close to 1000:1 CR was the target. This is when the Panasonics and Epsons were 700:1 too. Yes, welcome to the world of modern projectors. We just re-visited the first Harry Potter movie with a Lumagen Mini-3D/C6/CalMAN combo to auto-calibrate the 125 point color cube and do a 21 point gray-scale and gamma. The results are spectacular, absolutely spectacular on my "old" RS20! And, I've seen an uncalibrated RS55 which wasn't spectacular. Now we're getting to the point where a proper room and good calibration is more important than the most recent projector model.

Sorry I meant I am upgrading from a Sony hw10 not hs10. The Sony hw10 was just bearable but still got totally crushed in TDK and really dark movies.

I was trying to convince myself that undertaking a proper calibration would only get me 5% pq improvement as skin tones look natural enough on default settings on my rs40. Are you sure they make such a dramatic difference in pq?

I would pay more money for blacker blacks again but not greater resolution. We have enough sharpness I personally believe but I would like another leap in black level performance so we can get closer to CRT blacks. Once you see a CRT projector in action you'll never forget those inky jet black rendition...the amount of depth it provides to the image is staggering. My rs40 is very good but not quite there yet. Hopefully 2 more generations will get us closer.

I am also not sure about those who claim that a jvc can do close to complete black during fade outs because I can clearly still make out where the pictures frames end.

It's still amazing what people are reporting about eshift2. It will be a sight to see eshift2 and the darbee in action. Who needs 3d !
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Jvc America , Jvc Dla Rs4810 3d Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page