post #361 of 1856 Old 12-11-2012, 06:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

I think the auto-cal packages are a tremendous value. CalMAN 5 works very well and I understand Spectracal's product is at least its equal. If there's any way you can swing it, it will pay off for years with really spectacular results. Auto-cal fan-boi here... there have been some really great introductory pricing for the software, Mini 3D and colorometer, though I don't know if that is available anymore.
I'm repeating myself here, but even my wife thinks it's worth it!

You mean Chromapure not Calman 5 since Calman is Spectracals product.

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1856 Old 12-11-2012, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Lumagen package is wonderful. I purchased it with Chromapure auto calibration software earlier this year to stretch out my 5 year old BenQ W10,000. Definitely worth it IMO.
It works great and now my new RS4810 will be fully calibrated one hour after UPS delivers it tomorrow--all while I go have a sandwich. WooHoo! smile.gif

@lyndonlim: It's interesting that the first step in the auto calibration process is to set the brightness and contrast MANUALLY using either the internal test patterns of the Lumagen or a test disk like the one from AVS. Setting these properly makes a real difference in the display quality and it's free--no equipment needed. Just display the flashing bars and adjust the display.
post #363 of 1856 Old 12-11-2012, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm also waiting for my 4810.
I'll be able to share my experience after running it with ST130(2d), HP 2.8(3d), Lumagen 125p calibration and Darbee.
post #364 of 1856 Old 12-11-2012, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 327
^^^ great setup for 2D and 3D. The 125 point autocal in Chromapure got me interested in the mini 3D which should be here soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #365 of 1856 Old 12-11-2012, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Sowk, are you using an anamorphic lens in your set up, or do you zoom?
post #366 of 1856 Old 12-11-2012, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

You mean Chromapure not Calman 5 since Calman is Spectracals product.

oops... you're right! THIS is what I meant:

CalMAN 5 works very well and I understand ChromaPure's product is at least its equal.
post #367 of 1856 Old 12-11-2012, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by phisch View Post

Sowk, are you using an anamorphic lens in your set up, or do you zoom?

Zoom only.

post #368 of 1856 Old 12-11-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

^^^ great setup for 2D and 3D. The 125 point autocal in Chromapure got me interested in the mini 3D which should be here soon.

What gamma would you recommend to start; 2.2, BT.1866, or some other?
Like freebits I'm projecting onto a Studiotek 130 1.3 gain. The theater is light-controlled and reflection-controlled.
post #369 of 1856 Old 12-11-2012, 08:04 PM

I like Gamma 2.3 when it's a light controlled room.
post #370 of 1856 Old 12-11-2012, 08:34 PM

Liked: 11
Ceiling Mount Question ...

I've received my projector (woo hoo!) and am looking for an appropriate ceiling mount. Sorry for the newb question, but would the following work to mount it to the ceiling with 18" drop?
  • Chief CMA-105 4" Ceiling Plate with 1.5" NPT Opening Mfr# CMA105
  • Chief CMS-018 18-inch Speed-Connect Fixed Extension Column (Black)
  • Chief Custom RPA Projector Mount with SLB-281 Interface Bracket Mfr# RPA281

Many thanks.

Mike

post #371 of 1856 Old 12-11-2012, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

Amazing so far. I won't have time for a full calibration till this weekend though.
Best 2D picture I've seen in my current theater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

I do primarily because of the e-shift. It just brings it to another level of being there.
The Sony is much brighter / better motion / better shadow details / better color / much quieter / better 3D probably.
The JVC has better blacks / better lens / (with eshift on) more looking through the window effect.
If I didn't have such a huge screen I would still get the Sony.

It sounds like the HW50 is a better all around projector but the JVC looks better in 2D??? I only question this because I'm going with a 2 projector setup and will be using the X55 for a 2D only projector for movies. My screen is only 16x9 and not as big as yours but big non the less (153" diagonal). I have up till the 18th to change my mind on the JVC. So the JVC, in your opinion, looks better than the Sony for 2D movies? or is it only better because you sit close to the screen? I sit 15 or so feet back from my 133" wide screen so that would be around 1.3'ish SW back? Would the Sony be your choice for that distance?

For what it's worth, I'm coming from an Epson 8500Ub as my movie only projector which puts out just under 500 Lumens and the X55 has to be around 800? and the HW50 around 900? either one should be a noticeable brightness upgrade. I'm wanting the nicest looking projector for 2D under 5 grand.

Thanks
post #372 of 1856 Old 12-11-2012, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

yeah the lumagen auto calibration package is great value relative to what we could get 5 years ago. who would have thought that you could get a fully automatic calibration and not have to sit in the dark fiddling around for hours to get stellar results. I will check my bank balance then maybe stretch for the package as you have convinced me.
post #373 of 1856 Old 12-11-2012, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndonlim View Post

yeah the lumagen auto calibration package is great value relative to what we could get 5 years ago. who would have thought that you could get a fully automatic calibration and not have to sit in the dark fiddling around for hours to get stellar results. I will check my bank balance then maybe stretch for the package as you have convinced me.

How much does the package run, spiked my interest?

Onkyo 818, Emotiva Amp
B&W CT700 Series Speakers, (2) PowerSound Audio XS30s
Custom HTPC running Mediabrowser, 12TB Server for storage
post #374 of 1856 Old 12-11-2012, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleycol View Post

How much does the package run, spiked my interest?

There are 3 options priced for the home user. Spectracal's CalMan is about $3k with a Radiance Mini and a calibrated C6 colorometer. I can't figure out ChromaPure's pricing for their calibrated Display 3 Pro / Lumagen Mini / 125 pt auto-cal offering, or even if they have such an offereing. I gather from the forums that they do. And then there's the Light Illusion system that takes a different tack in that they separate the display profiling from the display calibration. This means you perform a rather lengthy (depending on the matrix size, up to 17x17x17) profiling and then generate calibrations from that data. So, if you wanted to change your gamma, for example, you wouldn't have to go through the whole calibration process again. You just ask the software to calculate a new LUT from the profile data and download it to the LUT box, in this cas a $600 eeColor box. As the lamp ages you would have to generate new profiles, though. But that de-coupling is very intriguing to me. The software is $2650 last I saw, so this solution is competitive if you aren't interested in the Lumagen's many other features. The eeColor box is simply a LUT holder and nothing more. So the total cost of the LI system seems to be $3250 last I saw.
post #375 of 1856 Old 12-11-2012, 10:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The Chromapure complete package is I think $2279 and it includes a Radiance Mini 3D video processor, which will add a lot more to your system than just the ability to auto calibrate, a copy of chromapure standard, the full deluxe auto calibrate uodate, a calibrated display 3 meter (the calibrated version which is included is called the Display 3 Pro, and an interfce RS232 null modem cable for interfacing with the Lumagen and for installing free software updates for the Lumagen. You will likely need to purchase an USM to RS232 converter to plug into your laptop and hook up to your Lumagen to do calibrations..

Mark Haflich

post #376 of 1856 Old 12-11-2012, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

The Chromapure complete package is I think $2279 and it includes a Radiance Mini 3D video processor, which will add a lot more to your system than just the ability to auto calibrate, a copy of chromapure standard, the full deluxe auto calibrate uodate, a calibrated display 3 meter (the calibrated version which is included is called the Display 3 Pro, and an interfce RS232 null modem cable for interfacing with the Lumagen and for installing free software updates for the Lumagen. You will likely need to purchase an USM to RS232 converter to plug into your laptop and hook up to your Lumagen to do calibrations..

Indeed. I have yet to explore all the stuff it does. There's only so much time in the day! smile.gif And now, with the auto-cal results, all I want to do is watch movies. I'm done with fiddling, for now at least.
post #377 of 1856 Old 12-11-2012, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I measure about 980 lumens unclaibrated.

Throw was close throw.

post #378 of 1856 Old 12-12-2012, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

Indeed. I have yet to explore all the stuff it does. There's only so much time in the day! smile.gif And now, with the auto-cal results, all I want to do is watch movies. I'm done with fiddling, for now at least.

Me too: Now I've run the autocal (and had a good look at the results to convince myself rolleyes.gif) I'm just watching films on my projector. There's no need and no point to keep fiddling once you know you've got the calibration spot on. I've had my Mini3D for 2 years now so think I know it pretty well, but the autocal just takes it to another level for picture quality and takes a fraction of the time (I can just sit drinking coffee and reading the web while it does it's stuff cool.gif).

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #379 of 1856 Old 12-12-2012, 03:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsform1 View Post

If you are on the East Coast check with ChadB I had him do my PJ's before I learned how to do it myself. I believe if you learn how to do it yourself, a pro is good, but if you know your product and are diligent, you can as good if not better. It's your set you know how you like color, detail, etc better than the calibrator. You may like over/under saturation on colors. So many people talk about what the director intended. That's fine and dandy..... but you customize what you like using the intent as a reference or Rec.709 as as a reference and deviate to what you like. But if you are on the East Coast check out Chad, if you want to learn yourself, forums and PM RayJ. Ray J will help you out over the phone, he really help me through the beginning stages of learning how to calibrate.

Thank you, I'll check him out. The cost of the equipment to do it myself seems a bit too steep for me right now. I may buy it down the line but I can't muster a few extra grand right now. I'm buying much more then a projector already for my home theater.
post #380 of 1856 Old 12-12-2012, 04:52 AM

@freebits Thank you. 2.3 it will be. I would imagine that the best way to do this is to set the JVC Custom Gamma to 2.3 and then let the Lumagen tweak it from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebits View Post

I'm also waiting for my 4810.
I'll be able to share my experience after running it with ST130(2d), HP 2.8(3d), Lumagen 125p calibration and Darbee.

I'm curious about your screen setup. Do you have a high power pull down screen in front of your ST130? This sounds like an ideal setup as long as the projector is mounted low enough. How large are your screens?

If this is too OT for the thread, I apologize. Seems we're all waiting for Zombie's UPS guy today.
post #381 of 1856 Old 12-12-2012, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Zombie will be able to tell us much more on the 3D front... Sorry guys! But as a 2D projector it's amazing!

post #382 of 1856 Old 12-12-2012, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bottom line:

Movies - JVC RS48 and up (I would take the Sony over the RS46)
Everything Else - Sony HW50 or VW95

* I was super impressed by the HW50 I saw. It may have been a golden sample, but it was top notch.

post #383 of 1856 Old 12-12-2012, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CintiAudio View Post

@freebits Thank you. 2.3 it will be. I would imagine that the best way to do this is to set the JVC Custom Gamma to 2.3 and then let the Lumagen tweak it from there.
I'm curious about your screen setup. Do you have a high power pull down screen in front of your ST130? This sounds like an ideal setup as long as the projector is mounted low enough. How large are your screens?
If this is too OT for the thread, I apologize. Seems we're all waiting for Zombie's UPS guy today.
@CintiAudio
you can run the Auto-cal again if the Gamma 2.3 is not your choice. It'll take less than 1 hour even if including the grayscale calibration smile.gif

Both screens are electric screens but rather small compared to the other folks. They're 106" Stewart and 100" Da-lite. JVC's motorized zoom/focus is convenient for moving between the two different screens.
I've mounted my PJ low enough so that I can enjoy the highest gain from HP screen.
post #384 of 1856 Old 12-12-2012, 06:26 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post

How do I find one of these professionals in my area? Is there a directory or something online I can put my zip in and qualified pros in the area will come up?

you can search for ISF certfied dealers/calibrators right on their (ISF) website. you can search by State (or province if in Canada)
http://www.imagingscience.com/dealers.php

they also offer training for enthusiasts biggrin.gif
HTH
Zed
post #385 of 1856 Old 12-12-2012, 06:42 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post

Thank you, I'll check him out. The cost of the equipment to do it myself seems a bit too steep for me right now. I may buy it down the line but I can't muster a few extra grand right now. I'm buying much more then a projector already for my home theater.

i think the following is a good deal. especially if you compare the cost of 1-2-3 calibrations done by a professional to the cost of this bundle:
http://store.spectracal.com/consumer/calman5-bundles/calman-5-enthusiast-with-spectracal-c6.html
or a bit cheaper option
http://store.spectracal.com/consumer/calman5-bundles/calman-5-control-with-i1-display-pro-bundle.html

granted , you don't get the Lumagen
but with CMS now included in the 4810 it will get you very close for a lot less dough.

Zed
post #386 of 1856 Old 12-12-2012, 07:10 AM

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you have had problems with the chief RPAU mount not being able to accommodate the size of the 4810. I can't seem to find the top plate holes that will connect all the arms. it's either the side 2 or the top 2, but it doesn't seem to be big enough to accommodate. Am I missing something?
post #387 of 1856 Old 12-12-2012, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If you do some research, this was a problem when the present JVC chassis came out several years ago. There are pictures in the AVS threads. You can make it work by having the U plate aligned along the projector width, rather than length but you will still need to drillone hole and slightly enlarge another to make it all fit. It is easy to drill the hole through the metal of the U plate but yoo do need a drill and a bit. You won't hurt a thing by doing it. Or if making a field mod and spoiling the manufactured grid which will aways be hidden when the projector is mounted will drive you crazy and keep you from sleeping, you can just buy the dedicated mounting plate for the JVCs that will attach to the RPA Chief mount. That will set you back over $100 for the plate. Me? I would just drill the needed hole. We installed many that way in our area where the customer already had the RPA U.

Mark Haflich

post #388 of 1856 Old 12-12-2012, 08:25 AM

Well that's kind of a bummer, I canceled my my 46 preorder because I was told my rpa u mount wouldn't work with the 46. The extra cost was enough to push me towards the Sony 95. I guess I should have searched the forums more for a solution.
post #389 of 1856 Old 12-12-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

While we are on the topic of auto calibration, I am considering purchasing ChromoPure with Auto-Cal as part of a bundle with either the Lumagen Mini3D or DVDO Duo. The Mini3D is a fair bit more expensive than the DVDO Duo, and is very limited as far as inputs/outputs go. I assume that most would position the Mini3D between an AV switcher and a display. If 3D is not a priority (it is not for me), is there any reason to choose the Mini3D over the DVDO Duo? Does the Mini3D allow for a more accurate calibration? Is its video processing/scaling considered superior to the DVDO Duo?
post #390 of 1856 Old 12-12-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Yes, the Mini3D is superior to the Duo IMHO. It can give you the full 125 point CMS that the Duo can't. Has no ring scaling and excellent deinterlacing. Although it only has 2 physical inputs you can set up 4 'virtual' inputs which can be mapped to either of the two physical inputs so you can optimise your calibration for each of 4 sources even if they come from the same HDMI input cable (ie your amp does the switching further up the line). I do this with my Mini3D (only 3 devices though) and I also split the output so that I can use the different CMS memories (8 in total) to calibrate 2 different TVs and my projector.

I find the support excellent from Luamgen too, with it's own forum where you can post questions, email them config files for them to test out any issues. They once posted an updated firmware to resolve an issue I reported the same evening.eek.gif

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Jvc America , Jvc Dla Rs4810 3d Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page