Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1856 Old 12-13-2012, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

Your new JVC should have a better black level and contrast ratio than your previous Pioneer (JVC rebranded) projector which was rated at a 30,000:1 contrast ratio vs. 50,000:1 for the RS48 and RS4810 (all best case CR values with iris closed down and minimum zoom). However, no projector-based home theater will ever equal a Kuro's up to 30,000+ to 1 CR and black level unless you have your home theater totally devoid of all other light sources (i.e.,no light coming through doors/windows, no room lights and even the panel lights from some electronic conponents may be too bright. With a front projection setup when you turn the projector off and with the room lighting the same as you use for viewing, then that is as dark a black as you will ever be able to get from your screen and any source of light in the room will raise the effective black level by reflecting light from the screen.

I never considered black levels on a projector in that light but that makes a lot of common sense really- thanks for the explanation. The current room is pretty well light controlled but not 100%. My new room is going to be completely light controlled so it will be interesting to see how the blacks look. Both rooms have the projectors at the shortest throw and if I understand it correctly that results in the most brightness and the worst blacks but I am definitely excited to see the results. In any case, the 4810 is a pretty big "wow" upgrade from the RS2 no matter how you slice it. I'm pretty sure it even made my mid grade speakers sound better biggrin.gif.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1856 Old 12-13-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post

Yes so far it does seem like "Super Lamp". Has been running all day today and now up to 94 hours and just went outside and checked it for the 3rd time today with the meter. It is once again "over" the original reading of 180 lux in center in low lamp for 8.5' wide 16x9 AR screen area. It was at 182 this time, and as mentioned as high as 186 after 60+ hours. Aren't the 1st 100 hours supposed to drop the most in lumens? But maybe the only 10-12 lamp strikes for those 94 hours is keeping it fresh?

Maybe I'm getting paranoid, but I checked mine today after about 30 minutes in my calibrated mode at -15 iris ( which was giving 100 Lux) and was disappointed to see that it was down to 92 Lux. However after about 2 hours I checked it again and it's back up to 100 Lux again and I'll probably check it again just before I switch it off later this evening. I'm only up to 25 hours so far done in three viewings (so only 3 strikes of the lamp), but I'm sure my old HD350 dropped a little bit in the first 30 hours when I put the second lamp in it, so I'm hopeful that the dimming will be nice and slow.

Did we ever confirm if the new lamp is DC or AC?

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #453 of 1856 Old 12-13-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post

I think in this instance depth and dimension come to mind....eek.gif

Off topic but then again...... biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif Leave it to Mark!
post #454 of 1856 Old 12-13-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Looking forward to first hand end user reviews of this new JVC, particularly with regards to 3D, brightness, and lamp life. All of the reason that I sold my RS40 and switched to an Epson 6010. I think that the Epson will hold me over until affordable 4K and/or laser/LED are out, but I have always liked my previous JVCs, so am still lurking in their owner threads.

BTW, I whole-heartedly agree with the posts concerning improvements from the 3DLUT calibrations with a Lumagen. I have the Radiance XS, Chroma 5, and CalMAN 5 Expert with auto-cal. Very easy to run through the calibration and the results are spectacular. PQ looked good before, but the new 125pt 3D color-cube calibration takes it to a new level. This additional feature has justified the original money shelled out for the hardware and software in the past. Kudos to Lumagen for providing new features at no cost. Very nice upgrade. If you can afford it, go for it!!!

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

post #455 of 1856 Old 12-13-2012, 04:06 PM

Liked: 11
Posted this in e other x55 thread (really need to merge them) but just in case some are only checking this thread:
Quote:
odd enough but i performed some experimentation late last night because i was not as impressed with eshift as i thought i would be. i turned down all MPC controls to zero across 3 of the eshift modes as well as the 'off' mode. when i flipped back and forth between all these eshift modes and the off mode i saw NO difference in the picture pixel structure from less than 1 foot away (though i would agree i did not see much pixel structure at all even with the eshift set to off). no effect on the pixel structure between eshift off and on. kind of disheartening. if i start increasing the MPC controls then i start to see a sharpening and can see some effects from 1.5+sw away. i would liken it to the darbee effect, though more prounounced (i had a darbee in line).
i unfortunately forgot to test if i can get this result even with eshift off but setting the MPC controls to something higher than zero.
all in all, i am wondering if perhaps there is something wrong with my unit's eshift mechanism. i can't believe people would be raving at the results if all units looked like mine. unfortunately i have used 3 out of the 4 hours on the AVS return policy allotment so am hard-pressed to do more testing. will wait to see other folks' impressions here and then likely give Mike a call tomorrow about what to do here.
anyone else test the eshift feature (with MPC controls set to 0) on and off and compare results?
post #456 of 1856 Old 12-13-2012, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

Maybe I'm getting paranoid, but I checked mine today after about 30 minutes in my calibrated mode at -15 iris ( which was giving 100 Lux) and was disappointed to see that it was down to 92 Lux. However after about 2 hours I checked it again and it's back up to 100 Lux again and I'll probably check it again just before I switch it off later this evening. I'm only up to 25 hours so far done in three viewings (so only 3 strikes of the lamp), but I'm sure my old HD350 dropped a little bit in the first 30 hours when I put the second lamp in it, so I'm hopeful that the dimming will be nice and slow.
Did we ever confirm if the new lamp is DC or AC?

As I hit 96 hours I checked it again (from my size screen area, aimed of course at projector....180 lux center when new) It dipped to 170, the lowest I had seen it yet. But have left the projector running as I'm getting ready to watch Lakers probably getting their butts kicked again in NY on time shift. No spoilers please smile.gif. Just checked it again for bleeps and giggles at 98 hours and it looked particularly bright with the white screen. 190 lux eek.gif A swing of 20 lux. It does seem sometimes to pick up brightness with the long run times. It's not the meter, like I said the screen I could tell was popping. So that's 98 hours and I stay all around and sometimes over the original lux reading on low. Not sure what to make of it. Watch I'll get calibrated tomorrow and then all of a sudden the lamp's going to nosedive on me over and above what the calibration takes out. biggrin.gif
Kelvin1965S likes this.
post #457 of 1856 Old 12-14-2012, 11:55 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rukus29 View Post

Posted this in e other x55 thread (really need to merge them) but just in case some are only checking this thread:

Have posted in the other thread
post #458 of 1856 Old 12-14-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Please tell me this post is a joke.........right? confused.gif You do realize every projector owner has his/her own priorities and intended uses for the machine dont you? rolleyes.gif Lag in particular is a very real consideration for most who game to some degree and 80ms (which is what Zombie clocked the 46 at) is on the high side unfortunately.

That dudes gettin' torched! tongue.gif

cardoski likes this.

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> The Richter Family 3D Theater  
post #459 of 1856 Old 12-14-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Kevin. I will call tonight. BTW on my computer screen those .torches are clipping the whites.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #460 of 1856 Old 12-14-2012, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think in this instance depth and dimension come to mind....eek.gif

Mark's just lookin' to get some stink on his "remote" but I agree he doesn't need to post on the "dirty remote" thread! tongue.gif

Sounds good buddy. smile.gif

Kevin

post #461 of 1856 Old 12-14-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As I hit 96 hours I checked it again (from my size screen area, aimed of course at projector....180 lux center when new) It dipped to 170, the lowest I had seen it yet. But have left the projector running as I'm getting ready to watch Lakers probably getting their butts kicked again in NY on time shift. No spoilers please smile.gif. Just checked it again for bleeps and giggles at 98 hours and it looked particularly bright with the white screen. 190 lux eek.gif A swing of 20 lux. It does seem sometimes to pick up brightness with the long run times. It's not the meter, like I said the screen I could tell was popping. So that's 98 hours and I stay all around and sometimes over the original lux reading on low. Not sure what to make of it. Watch I'll get calibrated tomorrow and then all of a sudden the lamp's going to nosedive on me over and above what the calibration takes out. biggrin.gif

Just curious Ron... is this a known process to help a bulb age gracefully or something (like those speaker/cable burn-in discs with white noise I used to buy back in the day)?

Kevin

post #462 of 1856 Old 12-14-2012, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

Just curious Ron... is this a known process to help a bulb age gracefully or something (like those speaker/cable burn-in discs with white noise I used to buy back in the day)?

I don't think so...I think me and Ron are just watching our new projectors to put the hours on. smile.gif I'm only up to 35 hours but my lamp hasn't dropped from the initial check I did at 1 hour last Saturday. cool.gif I hope it's not too good to be true as if it could stay at this level for the next 1000 hours I'd be overjoyed (I'm sure this won't happen but it would be great if it did).

post #463 of 1856 Old 12-14-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post

Looking forward to first hand end user reviews of this new JVC, particularly with regards to 3D, brightness, and lamp life. All of the reason that I sold my RS40 and switched to an Epson 6010. I think that the Epson will hold me over until affordable 4K and/or laser/LED are out, but I have always liked my previous JVCs, so am still lurking in their owner threads.
BTW, I whole-heartedly agree with the posts concerning improvements from the 3DLUT calibrations with a Lumagen. I have the Radiance XS, Chroma 5, and CalMAN 5 Expert with auto-cal. Very easy to run through the calibration and the results are spectacular. PQ looked good before, but the new 125pt 3D color-cube calibration takes it to a new level. This additional feature has justified the original money shelled out for the hardware and software in the past. Kudos to Lumagen for providing new features at no cost. Very nice upgrade. If you can afford it, go for it!!!

Hey, hey... good to hear from ya SteveO! Happy Holidays buddy!! biggrin.gif

Kevin

post #464 of 1856 Old 12-14-2012, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't think so...I think me and Ron are just watching our new projectors to put the hours on. smile.gif I'm only up to 35 hours but my lamp hasn't dropped from the initial check I did at 1 hour last Saturday. cool.gif I hope it's not too good to be true as if it could stay at this level for the next 1000 hours I'd be overjoyed (I'm sure this won't happen but it would be great if it did).

Oh okay... cause I read his other post about strike count and thought possibly there was a process that would help sloooow the lumen loss long term! wink.gif

So hows it going so far... sounds good so far? I'm dying for Phil to put out that x75 review so I can give Mike the go ahead when I get my call (well... I already got my call earlier this week and gave it up to the next fellow AVSr!). biggrin.gif

Kevin

post #465 of 1856 Old 12-14-2012, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm waiting for my 4810 to arrive. Quick question though: Where are you guys mounting the 3D emitter? Can I bounce the signal off the screen to the emitter like the remote or do I need to install it on top of the screen? Thanks

Click the link to see pics of my home theater

http://s450.photobucket.com/albums/q...oom/?start=all
post #466 of 1856 Old 12-15-2012, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh okay... cause I read his other post about strike count and thought possibly there was a process that would help sloooow the lumen loss long term! wink.gif
So hows it going so far... sounds good so far? I'm dying for Phil to put out that x75 review so I can give Mike the go ahead when I get my call (well... I already got my call earlier this week and gave it up to the next fellow AVSr!). biggrin.gif

Yes so far very good: I ran an autocal last night to try BT 1886 but it wasn't very successful, so instead I did a 2.3 gamma and just tweaked the 5,10,15% down to 2.2 gamma then ran the color gamut autocal. My son and I watched Quantum of Solace which looked superb (even if it's not my favourite of the 3 DC Bond films). Lamp still measuring exactly the same after nearly 40 hours run time. cool.gif

Just as a reminder mine is the X35, incase I cause any confusion as this is the RS4810 owners thread, though similar enough I of course don't have the Eshift and my CMS is by Lumgen.

post #467 of 1856 Old 12-15-2012, 01:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Yes so far very good: I ran an autocal last night to try BT 1886 but it wasn't very successful, so instead I did a 2.3 gamma and just tweaked the 5,10,15% down to 2.2 gamma then ran the color gamut autocal. My son and I watched Quantum of Solace which looked superb (even if it's not my favourite of the 3 DC Bond films). Lamp still measuring exactly the same after nearly 40 hours run time. cool.gif
Just as a reminder mine is the X35, incase I cause any confusion as this is the RS4810 owners thread, though similar enough I of course don't have the Eshift and my CMS is by Lumgen.

Even if you manually adjust the Gamma for those IREs, the 125p Autacal would still be based on Gamma 2.3 and screw the the result?
post #468 of 1856 Old 12-15-2012, 01:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Well in theory it would, but I saw some results in another thread that compared the dEs of the colour gamut when this small adjustment had been made and they were pretty tiny. I need to try the BT 1886 again, but for now (with a very 'green' lamp) it'll do as I set it last night: Shadow detail is good without being over exaggerated and bright scenes have good depth (more limited by my room's wall reflections causing washout, so that's the main area for improvement).

post #469 of 1856 Old 12-15-2012, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 126
More impressions...

Convergence... Unfreaking real for a 3 chip machine. Maybe even 100% dead on accurate with ever so slight bit of chromatic aberration. Huge, huge, huge!!!
Focus... 99% perfect!

ANSI contrast biased on viewing... Slightly better then last years, Sony's are still better.
post #470 of 1856 Old 12-15-2012, 04:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Is there an appropriate thread to talk about ceiling mounts? I popped the projector open yesterday to take a look and the ceiling mount I ordered was right next to it. I ordered the Chief RPA281 mount and I noticed that the projector is MUCH wider then the bracket. Is there anywhere I can see a tutorial or something on how to ceiling mount these projectors because looking at it, it doesn't seem so obvious and the instructions didn't help much.
post #471 of 1856 Old 12-15-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherardp View Post

I'm waiting for my 4810 to arrive. Quick question though: Where are you guys mounting the 3D emitter? Can I bounce the signal off the screen to the emitter like the remote or do I need to install it on top of the screen? Thanks

I've never had 3d on a projector before so maybe I don't understand your question, but the emitter plugs into the back of the projector. Looks like a ps2 or s-video connector. My projector is shelf mounted and it is right up against the wall- seems to work fine. Still don't really like 3d but I figured what the hell.
post #472 of 1856 Old 12-15-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post

Is there an appropriate thread to talk about ceiling mounts? I popped the projector open yesterday to take a look and the ceiling mount I ordered was right next to it. I ordered the Chief RPA281 mount and I noticed that the projector is MUCH wider then the bracket. Is there anywhere I can see a tutorial or something on how to ceiling mount these projectors because looking at it, it doesn't seem so obvious and the instructions didn't help much.

The foot locations on the bottom of the projector are the mounting points. You remove the feet and install the 281 plate (remove plate from mount) using those holes. Then you install the mount to the ceiling, using ceiling plate and drop tube. Once mount is in place, attach 281 plate and projector to the mount using the quick release thumb screens. So it goes like this:

Ceiling plate
Drop tube
RPA mount
281 plate
projector
You install ceiling plate, drop tube and RPA top to the ceiling.
You install 281 plate to projector using the foot locations on the projector.
You attach 281 plate with projector to RPA top. Use the quick release thumb screws.
You adjust the pitch, yaw and roll of the projector and the lens shift, to get the image to fit your screen.
You lock down the set screws.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #473 of 1856 Old 12-15-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherardp View Post

This year’s Emitter, PKEM2P, uses RF and does not require line of sight. The emitter simply plugs into the back of the projector.

The prior year's emitter, PKEM1P, uses IR and many did point the emitter at the screen to bounce the IR signal back towards the viewers.
post #474 of 1856 Old 12-15-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

More impressions...
Convergence... Unfreaking real for a 3 chip machine. Maybe even 100% dead on accurate with ever so slight bit of chromatic aberration. Huge, huge, huge!!!
Focus... 99% perfect!
ANSI contrast biased on viewing... Slightly better then last years, Sony's are still better.
Well you're danged lucky.....sounds great!

Geof
post #475 of 1856 Old 12-15-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

He's lucky, but not the only one like this judging by mine. cool.gif

post #476 of 1856 Old 12-15-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You mean my long run times each day for around 8 days? No not for that specifically but I imagine it might not be a bad thing. But I wouldn't have done that if I didn't have Gotcha coming in yesterday morning to calibrate it. He's the member out here on west coast near me I purchased the projector from instead of AVS as I needed to have it in time to put that many hours prior to needing it for today specifically. We figured about a hundred hours. I hit it too in just 8 days. I let my prime 16x9 scenery pics list on my PS3 run in slide show mode to not keep any static images up just in case.

Funny thing is I have a calibrated RS50 and had thought the 4810's colors from User 1 standard color profile looked pretty decent out of the box. Except for Avatar, humorously. I could tell those colors looked nothing like they should with their richness and best low light detail. Gotcha even said it looked among the best JVCs out of the box he's ever seen. But holy crap eek.gif when he was done (great guy and great result) and I was seeing these same movies, including Avatar now looking the most amazing I've seen it yet, and all those photos I'm so familiar with........ it seems almost as much or possibly as much of yet another bump up in "depth" and in picture quality as going to the new projector with its great convergence and sharpness and eShift2. Of course Darbee is in the mix.
post #477 of 1856 Old 12-15-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

He's lucky, but not the only one like this judging by mine. cool.gif
Well then you're lucky too.....rolleyes.gif
I've now had several JVC projectors and not one was even close to perfect convergence-wise. Maybe I'll have you guys buy mine next time.....wink.giftongue.gifsmile.gif
Kelvin1965S likes this.

Geof
post #478 of 1856 Old 12-15-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Originally Posted by SOWK

More impressions...
Focus... 99% perfect!

Quote:

Mine's the same way 80% of the prime middle is nothing but pure white on the 1 pixel grid. With maybe up to half pixel opposite directions horizontal red at the edges. And lens focus the same as SOWK's....perfect. Waiting to hear from Zombie, or maybe he's posted by now....haven't got to his eagerly anticipated new model findings thread yet ..... headed there now smile.gif
post #479 of 1856 Old 12-15-2012, 11:19 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Mine's the same way 80% of the prime middle is nothing but pure white on the 1 pixel grid. With maybe up to half pixel opposite directions horizontal red at the edges. And lens focus the same as SOWK's....perfect. Waiting to hear from Zombie, or maybe he's posted by now....haven't got to his eagerly anticipated new model findings thread yet ..... headed there now smile.gif
I think JVC may have perfected their process this year. My X55 is way better in focus ( and focus uniformity despite the vertical lens shift) and convergence than my old X3 is and that was pretty good too. So a lot of lucky people this year or JVC managed to take a step forward in this area. Convergence was so spot on that I did not even bother checking the multizone correction yet.
post #480 of 1856 Old 12-15-2012, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

The foot locations on the bottom of the projector are the mounting points. You remove the feet and install the 281 plate (remove plate from mount) using those holes. Then you install the mount to the ceiling, using ceiling plate and drop tube. Once mount is in place, attach 281 plate and projector to the mount using the quick release thumb screens. So it goes like this:
Ceiling plate
Drop tube
RPA mount
281 plate
projector
You install ceiling plate, drop tube and RPA top to the ceiling.
You install 281 plate to projector using the foot locations on the projector.
You attach 281 plate with projector to RPA top. Use the quick release thumb screws.
You adjust the pitch, yaw and roll of the projector and the lens shift, to get the image to fit your screen.
You lock down the set screws.

Wow, that greatly simplifies the process and makes much more sense now. Thanks a lot! I'm guessing there's a setting somewhere then on the RS4810 for ceiling mounting that will flip the image.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Jvc America , Jvc Dla Rs4810 3d Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - Rs4810 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page