Offical JVC DLA-RS4810 Owners Thread - Page 17 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #481 of 1856 Old 12-15-2012, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 39
funny you guys are having perfect focus on your units. I briefly had a b stock RS40 that had good focus but the 4810 I received doesn't look anywhere near to the RS40. The green lines on the focus screen are all blurred together, no pixel structure that I can make out hardly at all. the white FOCUS in the grey square has pixel structure with quite a bit of chromic aberration. this is with all mpc turned off, iris -14 and low lamp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 1856 Old 12-15-2012, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I received my 4810 two day ago, had about 2 hours to play with it and love the picture so far. I do have a a question, coming from a sharp xv12000 my picture was perfectly square. Now my picture is square on the sides and the bottom but the top has a slight bow towards the center? Is this normal? If I mask it, it becomes straight. I can zoom it out onto the masking just a bit to not see the slight bow but it is irking me a bit. Screen is a pull down hp so I know its square and the projector is an a projector stand that is lvl.

Jeryd
post #483 of 1856 Old 12-15-2012, 04:00 PM

Liked: 12
Is there a max recommended viewing time on these things. Am going for a LOTR EXTENDED EDITION marathon and want to make sure I don't burn out anything.
post #484 of 1856 Old 12-15-2012, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Just make sure it's got enough air to keep cool. Several people are running them continuously for days to get the magic 100 hours on the bulb for a first calibration.
post #485 of 1856 Old 12-15-2012, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfusion770 View Post

I've never had 3d on a projector before so maybe I don't understand your question, but the emitter plugs into the back of the projector. Looks like a ps2 or s-video connector. My projector is shelf mounted and it is right up against the wall- seems to work fine. Still don't really like 3d but I figured what the hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHolland View Post

This year’s Emitter, PKEM2P, uses RF and does not require line of sight. The emitter simply plugs into the back of the projector.
The prior year's emitter, PKEM1P, uses IR and many did point the emitter at the screen to bounce the IR signal back towards the viewers.

That answers my question, sorry for the confusion. Thank you both.

Click the link to see pics of my home theater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #486 of 1856 Old 12-15-2012, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn1krr View Post

I think JVC may have perfected their process this year. My X55 is way better in focus ( and focus uniformity despite the vertical lens shift) and convergence than my old X3 is and that was pretty good too. So a lot of lucky people this year or JVC managed to take a step forward in this area. Convergence was so spot on that I did not even bother checking the multizone correction yet.

Let's hope it stays that way over time. I remember in previous years there were cases where convergence would drift with temperature and/or time. Still, I don't recall too many reports of perfect convergence on previous year's models so I'm optimistic that JVC improved it.
post #487 of 1856 Old 12-15-2012, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

Just make sure it's got enough air to keep cool. Several people are running them continuously for days to get the magic 100 hours on the bulb for a first calibration.

Probably me that you're referring to with that scenario of needing to get 100 hours on it by my calibration yesterday. But that wasn't non stop. 10-12 hours usually on each day. But the person actually made a point of asking me if it had been continuously and when I said no he said that was good because it wasn't a good thing for some reason he didn't elaborate about, to just run continuously for super long period over days without cycling off. Just wanted to mention what he mentioned as a pre-caution to others in case they get the wrong impression. Thanks.
post #488 of 1856 Old 12-16-2012, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn1krr View Post

I think JVC may have perfected their process this year. My X55 is way better in focus ( and focus uniformity despite the vertical lens shift) and convergence than my old X3 is and that was pretty good too. So a lot of lucky people this year or JVC managed to take a step forward in this area. Convergence was so spot on that I did not even bother checking the multizone correction yet.
Perhaps. There does seem to be more owners reporting great convergence but I know of one person (not me) that returned his because of horrible convergence and the first one I got had so-so convergence except on the right side where it was really iffy (that projector was returned because of soft focus - it wasn't sharp). My replacement has okay convergence but it's far from perfect.

Geof
post #489 of 1856 Old 12-16-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeryd View Post

Hey guys, I received my 4810 two day ago, had about 2 hours to play with it and love the picture so far. I do have a a question, coming from a sharp xv12000 my picture was perfectly square. Now my picture is square on the sides and the bottom but the top has a slight bow towards the center? Is this normal? If I mask it, it becomes straight. I can zoom it out onto the masking just a bit to not see the slight bow but it is irking me a bit. Screen is a pull down hp so I know its square and the projector is an a projector stand that is lvl.

Is the bow in or out at the top. The HP is not tensioned and can deform slightly across. If the bow is in, the center top is slightly close to the lens than it should be. to get a curve you need to have the error go gradually to zero as you approach the sides. Try going to the top of the screen and putting a slight pressure on the screen at top center. the curve should go away.. The fix i thing would be to contact Da-lite and either have them or you reattach the screen material on the roller. I do not think a projector could cause the curve, it must be the screen.

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #490 of 1856 Old 12-16-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

It sounds like I may have got your first one Geof. Focus is blurry and convergence was off 4 clicks. I can adjust the convergence of course but it will not focus in. the RS 40 b-stock I had before was way better. I think I could live with okay convergence but the focus is bothering me.
Also, my 4810 will not take a signal from my DVDO VP50 either. Is any one else able to use a DVDO with their 4810?
post #491 of 1856 Old 12-16-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post

It sounds like I may have got your first one Geof. Focus is blurry and convergence was off 4 clicks. I can adjust the convergence of course but it will not focus in. the RS 40 b-stock I had before was way better. I think I could live with okay convergence but the focus is bothering me.
Also, my 4810 will not take a signal from my DVDO VP50 either. Is any one else able to use a DVDO with their 4810?
I would suggest you talk with your dealer - soft focus is not something that'll ever improve and will always detract (I kept reaching for my glasses but I was already wearing them).....

Geof
post #492 of 1856 Old 12-16-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I got an email in to mike. He took care of me with the rs40 I bought this fall and am hopeful this will get taken care of
post #493 of 1856 Old 12-16-2012, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Received my 4810, installed, have yet to power it on, I am gonna spend a few days with the manual to get more informed with the unit before play time begins. Has anyone done as simple pre-calibration test out of the box? I'm interested in the pre-cal report. If you do can you post the results?
post #494 of 1856 Old 12-16-2012, 04:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Here is an E-Shift tip that was passed on to me:

Push the MPC button on the remote twice to enter “Analysis Mode”. In this mode…

Where you see Blue/Green, e-shift2 is adding Detail/Enhancement.

Where you see Red/Yellow, e-shift2 is adding Dynamic Contrast.

Where you see Black, e-shift2 is Smoothing.

As you change from one profile to another, or adjust the three controls, you will see quite a difference in this “Analysis Mode.”

Enjoy. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #495 of 1856 Old 12-16-2012, 06:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

A tip I got was to enter the analysis mode and watch it stoned. After you get done playing with the controls, put the Beatles Magical Mystery Tour on and exit the analysis mode.

A serious question re JVC. They obviously think adding Dynamic Contrast is OK, and obviously necessary to improve the contrast, so why don't they leave the they are purer than thou with respect to on/ofs and add a Dynamic Iris (user selectable) to significantly improve their already good on/offs. Don't tell that without it, their on/off are high enough. There is quite a large numerical difference in the on/offs starting with the 46 and ending with the 58. Obviously, if you want the best on off you need to spring for the 58 they would say. A DI would help all models and give the entry model a much needed boast in on off for normal set ups wanting to run a gamma of 2.4 or higher and give the higher end model owners a nice boast too? Isn't it a tinsy weenie bit hippocritical to OK a dynamic this but not a dynamic that?

Mark Haflich

post #496 of 1856 Old 12-16-2012, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
This pj series would be awesome with a dynamic iris! I can't understand why they don't "go there". They might not be able to attain the dead-off blacks of a CRT, but they could probably get so close you couldn't tell the difference.
post #497 of 1856 Old 12-16-2012, 06:33 PM

I am able to use DVDO Duo with my RS56, but the blue signal light keeps blinking and I cannot display the DVDO menu on the projector screen
post #498 of 1856 Old 12-16-2012, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

thanks for the reply squadri, the 4810 will not display signal that comes from the dvdo vp50
post #499 of 1856 Old 12-17-2012, 05:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by squadri View Post

I am able to use DVDO Duo with my RS56, but the blue signal light keeps blinking and I cannot display the DVDO menu on the projector screen

No, Goff's first 4810 is with us.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #500 of 1856 Old 12-17-2012, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

It dawned on me sometime after I wrote that that I mis-spoke. What I should have said was " It sounds like I may have got one just like your first one Geof". I just didn't think to edit the post.

I know that AVS wouldn't sell me a $5000.00 projector as new that was returned. Sorry for the poor sentence, my mistake.
post #501 of 1856 Old 12-17-2012, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Get ready for the info!!! I have the day off and I am calibrating the JVC finally!

post #502 of 1856 Old 12-17-2012, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The manual states to plug the power cord directly into the outlet. What about using a surge protector? Would there be any problem with doing that?

Also, if I wanted to get a power cord that was longer than the one included, are there any recommendations for what and from where I should buy?
post #503 of 1856 Old 12-17-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

Get ready for the info!!! I have the day off and I am calibrating the JVC finally!

Mine was very well done on Friday last week. I think you're going to hate it...... eek.gifbiggrin.gif
post #504 of 1856 Old 12-17-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbryan View Post

The manual states to plug the power cord directly into the outlet. What about using a surge protector? Would there be any problem with doing that?
Also, if I wanted to get a power cord that was longer than the one included, are there any recommendations for what and from where I should buy?

I recommend www.monoprice.com. They have unbelievable prices and sell quality products. No problem using a surge protector as I wouldn't plug my electronics in without protection.

Mike

The Mayans were full of sh*t!!!
post #505 of 1856 Old 12-17-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You would be better off plugging it into a UPS to keep the fan running if the main power goes off. Its is very unlikely that a cheap .power condition would provide much protection. Even with good protection, if you house tales a lightening strike (tell me aboit it), the lightening surge will travel down your HDMIs anf fry everything they are pliugged into.

Mark Haflich

post #506 of 1856 Old 12-17-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbryan View Post

A surge protector is a good idea. Some of us even use an UPS so if the power does drop out you can quickly turn off the projector but still have UPS power to allow the internal fans to cool the projector down normally. If you do decide to use an UPS make sure you get one that is has enough VA capability to run the projector (I think mine is a 750 VA model). A longer power cord is also not an issue but I would make sure to use a heavy gauge cord.....at least 16 AWG or possibly 14 AWG depending on length.

Geof
post #507 of 1856 Old 12-17-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The guage is really only relevant if the wattage drawn is high. Most of the projectors can take about any voltage and a small volytage drop will have absolutely no effect on performance. Check out the input voltage spec. hell you can plug our projectors into 220 or 110 and everything will be fine.14 gauge is readily available.

Mark Haflich

post #508 of 1856 Old 12-17-2012, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 113
The reports are up for out of the box settings in post 2.

*My final calibration report for my unit.*

Calibrated 2D Lumens: ~790 (2/3rd full zoom)
Gamma: near perfect (2.2)
Grayscale: near perfect (all under 0.5 dE)
Color 100% Saturation: just ok (all but blue under 4 dE)
Color 75/50/25% Saturation: near perfect (all under 1 dE)

Calibrated:
*blue Line is the calibrated line.

post #509 of 1856 Old 12-17-2012, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

how is your focus and convergence SOWK?
post #510 of 1856 Old 12-17-2012, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

The reports are up for out of the box settings in post 2.
*My final calibration report for my unit.*
Calibrated 2D Lumens: ~790 (2/3rd full zoom)
Gamma: near perfect (2.2)
Grayscale: near perfect (all under 0.5 dE)
Color 100% Saturation: just ok (all but blue under 4 dE)
Color 75/50/25% Saturation: near perfect (all under 1 dE)
Calibrated:
*blue Line is the calibrated line.

SOWK, it's beautiful graph!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Jvc America , Jvc Dla Rs4810 3d Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page