Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 1856 Old 09-21-2012, 06:09 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Here was Gary's response as far as the 2 questions I asked a few posts up which I linked here as well................

1. Any chance for a "game mode" this year to improve lag? Maybe it is to late even at this point, but then again maybe, just maybe this is something they might finally add after all the years of people requesting/asking for it? Is there some sort of technical limitation/reason for them not making this very popular request a reality? Any somewhat serious gamer considers 80ms of lag too high and many people who game to some degree end up not buying JVC projectors and end up going with a competitor for this very reason. Any chance for a game mode this year?

There's no Gaming mode as such but I understand that latency is slightly lower than previous models. I notice they have added the following to the brochure (available soon) "Additionally, as the amount of picture delay is very limited, D-ILA projectors are also well suited for playing video games."

2. Any chance the masking range will be increased enough to mask a variable aspect film for people doing the zoom method? I would think this would be an easy tweak to the JVC custom masking since they just need to increase the range, but maybe it is not that easy to change this for some reason?

I don't think this is possible, but I'll ask next time I speak to my contact.

So it looks like we have another wait and see "how much if any improvement" issue to test when we get a production model to play with. I further asked if there were any numbers he could find out for us as far as how much they have supposedly improved things from 80ms, so we will see if he can by chance get any info. If JVC truly improved this, you would think they would advertise it so I have my doubts. It would be good to know though since this could be a potential buying point for some vs going with a competitor IF things are improved to a significant degree. Gary did say slight improvement though, so chances are it is not enough to matter to those who care about this if there is any improvement at all. Who knows.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1856 Old 09-21-2012, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Great news... 1/16 convergence and motorized lens cover is a go!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #33 of 1856 Old 09-21-2012, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

The material I've read indicate NO motorized Lens cover.

Geof
post #34 of 1856 Old 09-21-2012, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Right on the site...

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/tech_desc.jsp?model_id=MDL102176&feature_id=02

Motorized Lens Cover
The DLA-RS4810 features a motorized lens cover which opens and closes in synchronization with power on/off to protect against dust, so even if the projector is installed up on the ceiling, you are assured of easy, trouble-free operation via the remote control.

post #35 of 1856 Old 09-21-2012, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I guess JVC is really trying to kill the resale value of our RS-45's...

for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #36 of 1856 Old 09-21-2012, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Right on the site...
http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/tech_desc.jsp?model_id=MDL102176&feature_id=02
Motorized Lens Cover
The DLA-RS4810 features a motorized lens cover which opens and closes in synchronization with power on/off to protect against dust, so even if the projector is installed up on the ceiling, you are assured of easy, trouble-free operation via the remote control.

How about Clear Motion Drive for Sports? Not seeing it mentioned. Even the entry models have that correct? I thought I saw on one of the models only 2 modes offered now. Didn't they used to have 4 ? not that I cared about the black frame insertion and other one, just last two.
post #37 of 1856 Old 09-21-2012, 06:35 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

I guess JVC is really trying to kill the resale value of our RS-45's...

The 55 and 65 are going to take the biggest hit.

post #38 of 1856 Old 09-21-2012, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't think even selling the RS-45 for $2000.00 would be considered killing resale. They were not that expensive to begin with.

post #39 of 1856 Old 09-21-2012, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was being serious in another thread about $3300 for a RS55 at this point.

I would spend the "extra" little for a new in box 4810 with better bulb and e-shift 2.

The resale of the RS55 and RS65 are what I considered killed.

If I still had one and wanted to upgrade I would put it up for sale right now to minimize any further damage. There may still be some out there that don't know of the new units.

Serious question: Who here would buy a used RS55 even at $3200 over the Pre-order price of the RS4810?

post #40 of 1856 Old 09-21-2012, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 323
I sold my RS50 for more than that last year,after the new models were already out. Not everyone is on AVS, there's plenty of folks out there not ready to jump on the latest devices.

The fellow that bought mine read good reviews of the RS50 and wanted one.

I agree though, It's time to sell now.

post #41 of 1856 Old 09-21-2012, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The big change is there is now the mid level RS-48 and RS-4810 at their new incredible pricing.

The street price of the RS55 was still ~$5500 when you sold the RS50.

Not so with the street price of the rs48 and rs4810.

They (rs55 and rs65) will lose value a lot more then previous years I think.

post #42 of 1856 Old 09-21-2012, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I will wait to see what all comes out and then wait for the JVC B-stock units, I get the Darby in a couple days and I'm not ready to spend that kind of money on a PJ yet.
Heck, I've only got 600 hours on the RS-45 and only owned it less than a year. I'm still going to be keeping my eye out for newer DLP projectors and see what hits the market.

-

post #43 of 1856 Old 09-21-2012, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

We'll be saying the same thing next year when the true 4K comes out. smile.gif

I'd like to see if I can tell the difference between the 48 and 56 in my setup. I'm blacking out my ceiling and carpet in front of the screen in the next few weeks to prepare for the new models. With the 2.8HP I can crank the iris way down and it still looks nice and bright.

I'm curious to see the 3D as well.

post #44 of 1856 Old 09-21-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Right on the site...
Motorized Lens Cover
Well that page also shows this:

And all these profiles are not included in the 4810 and that's been confirmed with Japan by GaryB.

Geof
post #45 of 1856 Old 09-21-2012, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What modes should not be there?

post #46 of 1856 Old 09-21-2012, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure which should not be there but there should only be 3 (and probably with different names). The RS4810 has the same color profiles as the RS46.

Edit: I'm sure the Adobe RGB mode, and the Cinema modes are incorrect. I'd also guess the film modes and anime modes and Vivid are not included in the RS4810 as all these use the switched in filter.

I believe the RS46 and 48/4810 will have the same (or similar) modes as the RS45....(Not sure what they're called but they are in essence: Rec709, Wide, 3D)

Geof
post #47 of 1856 Old 09-21-2012, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Woohoo for a motorized lens cover! biggrin.gif
post #48 of 1856 Old 09-21-2012, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I am cautiously optimistic about the 3d improvements just as Toe is. I'll wait and see before i believe it. For my taste I'm not sure if eshift2 justifies the extra cost. The pre-order price on the RS46 is the same price as last years pre-order price for the RS45. If the 3D is improved I'll likely sell my RS45 (which now only has a couple of hundred hours on it having had no issues with my unit) and upgrade to the RS46.

Does CFI now work in 3D? When you get used to using CFI on 2D material it's a little distracting without being able to use it in 3D.

Also, regarding flicker I don't think I notice it as much as I would have about 4-5 years ago. Can the glasses used affect this at all? When I put my Xpands on I can see constant flickering for about the first 5 minutes of usage but then it levels off after that. I'm not sure if the shutters are opening and closing faster or if my eyes adjust after so long.
post #49 of 1856 Old 09-21-2012, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Your brain try's to compensate for the flicker I would believe.

post #50 of 1856 Old 09-21-2012, 11:55 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

I am cautiously optimistic about the 3d improvements just as Toe is. I'll wait and see before i believe it. For my taste I'm not sure if eshift2 justifies the extra cost. The pre-order price on the RS46 is the same price as last years pre-order price for the RS45. If the 3D is improved I'll likely sell my RS45 (which now only has a couple of hundred hours on it having had no issues with my unit) and upgrade to the RS46.
Does CFI now work in 3D? When you get used to using CFI on 2D material it's a little distracting without being able to use it in 3D.
Also, regarding flicker I don't think I notice it as much as I would have about 4-5 years ago. Can the glasses used affect this at all? When I put my Xpands on I can see constant flickering for about the first 5 minutes of usage but then it levels off after that. I'm not sure if the shutters are opening and closing faster or if my eyes adjust after so long.

No CFI/CMD in 3d.

post #51 of 1856 Old 09-22-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

No CFI/CMD in 3d.

frown.gif
post #52 of 1856 Old 09-22-2012, 09:16 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Guys, hold the presses.............I just found the biggest new feature yet........ready?

ADVANCED 3D CROSSTALK CANCELLATION CONTROL!!!!! eek.gif

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/features.jsp?model_id=MDL102175

rolleyes.gif

In all seriousness, looking at the RS46 info here...........

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/features.jsp?model_id=MDL102177

We have "upgraded 3d crosstalk cancellation circuit"

So I assume that the upgraded circuit is just another way of saying upgraded cancellation control which is what is in the 48/56 marketing info? Now my question is this.......Is the supposed crosstalk improvement based on this? Please tell me there is more to the supposed crosstalk improvement than a "upgraded" version of a 100% useless feature which still will make the upgraded version useless? eek.gif Is this what the "new 3d chip" is going to bring to the table?

Is JVC really marketing an advanced version of the infamous crosstalk canceler?

post #53 of 1856 Old 09-22-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

There isn't much to go on yet, but this did seem like a good start if it's true

http://www.trustedreviews.com/jvc-x55-and-x95-projectors-first-look_Projector_review

Talking of 3D - witnessed here with the fairground scene of Despicable Me and How To Train Your Dragon - other seriously welcome discoveries were that JVC has shifted to RF for its glasses, utilising glasses with bigger lenses, and, best of all, seems to have really reduced crosstalk versus JVC’s current models.

obviously this doesn't speak for the flicker. They've known about the 3D criticism for 2 years now, I wouldn't be surprised if they found some way of improving it this year. If it matched the HW30/VW95, that would certainly be better than what we have today.

post #54 of 1856 Old 09-22-2012, 09:43 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

There isn't much to go on yet, but this did seem like a good start if it's true
http://www.trustedreviews.com/jvc-x55-and-x95-projectors-first-look_Projector_review
Talking of 3D - witnessed here with the fairground scene of Despicable Me and How To Train Your Dragon - other seriously welcome discoveries were that JVC has shifted to RF for its glasses, utilising glasses with bigger lenses, and, best of all, seems to have really reduced crosstalk versus JVC’s current models.
obviously this doesn't speak for the flicker. They've known about the 3D criticism for 2 years now, I wouldn't be surprised if they found some way of improving it this year. If it matched the HW30/VW95, that would certainly be better than what we have today.

What were they comparing to though? A JVC with 300, 400 or more hours where maybe the crosstalk had actually increased? What scenes did they compare? It is just too vague to put any weight behind for me at this point. I am dying to see the Grand Canyon tree scene, Despicable Me lamp post, etc.....like we did last year which should be very telling as far as any real improvement or not. I cant get excited about these reports though all things considered.

It would be great if its true and I sure hope it is.

post #55 of 1856 Old 09-22-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

On my RS-45, I'd say the crosstalk quadrupled between 100-600 hours on the lamp. The biggest change was between 400-500 hours. Before the lamp made "Crosstalk Gone Wild...", I was almost thinking that in some movies you guys were being too picky, but probably because i watched some movies on a brand new lamp whereas some probably saw the same on an older lamp.

-

post #56 of 1856 Old 09-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
On another topic guys, I think I can safely say that the RS4810/48/X55 will have the new upgraded wire grid polarizer like the RS56 and 66. The RS46/X35 however will NOT have the upgraded wire grid polarizer.

On JVC's website, assuming that it is accurate, in the technical description for the RS4810 they mention: "The DLA-RS4810 is built around a newly designed optical engine with even higher contrast than previous models. An upgraded wire-grid polarizer reduces stray light caused by reflections and helps increase the native contrast ratio to a stunning 50,000:1 --the industry's highest."

When you go to the technical description of the RS46, there is no mention of a new upgraded wire grid polarizer. Obviously, since its not mentioned it doesn't have it.

So there we go, assuming JVC's official website is accurate, we now know the answer to that question.
post #57 of 1856 Old 09-22-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by SED <--- Rules View Post

When you go to the technical description of the RS46, there is no mention of a new upgraded wire grid polarizer. Obviously, since its not mentioned it doesn't have it.
So there we go, assuming JVC's official website is accurate, we now know the answer to that question.

I'm not so sure, since the 46 has the same CR spec.

Noah
post #58 of 1856 Old 09-22-2012, 02:38 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

On my RS-45, I'd say the crosstalk quadrupled between 100-600 hours on the lamp. The biggest change was between 400-500 hours. Before the lamp made "Crosstalk Gone Wild...", I was almost thinking that in some movies you guys were being too picky, but probably because i watched some movies on a brand new lamp whereas some probably saw the same on an older lamp.

This is EXACTLY why I cant put any weight behind these impressions of the new models when people claim the ghosting has improved from the current gen. The last 2 gens get WORSE as the lamp ages which many of us can attest to. The only fair comparison is to put both in the same room, new lamps, same material and go from there. Even then it wont be perfect since there could be sample variance. Not to mention we heard all this last year as well. Not saying it definitely wont happen, but until the Zombie report where we can compare with what we learned last year, nothing can be brought to the bank so to speak.

I experienced the same thing Coderguy on my 45. Somewhere between 300 and 400 hours ghosting went from bad to horrible. Cant say on my 45 since I stopped watching 3d long before that and I now have a new lamp from when I sent it in for service so I cant test it.

post #59 of 1856 Old 09-22-2012, 02:43 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

This is EXACTLY why I cant put any weight behind these impressions of the new models when people claim the ghosting has improved from the current gen. The last 2 gens get WORSE as the lamp ages which many of us can attest to. The only fair comparison is to put both in the same room, new lamps, same material and go from there. Even then it wont be perfect since there could be sample variance. Not to mention we heard all this last year as well. Not saying it definitely wont happen, but until the Zombie report where we can compare with what we learned last year, nothing can be brought to the bank so to speak.

I doubt they did much to improve cross talk in the panels but it seems logical that the new bulbs may prevent the degragation issues? With out increasing the panel speed how much could they reduce cross talk? But it seems to me a lot of users think 3d is fine on a new bulb so if they fix the bulb issue and that keeps the 3d performance stable through out the performance of the bulb then it might be enought to sastify a large percentage of users?
post #60 of 1856 Old 09-22-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11

I hope you're right about the 1/16th pixel adjust . Their plaque shows one thing and their Web Site shows another .

Scott.......................cool.gif

"Home Theatre is a Journey , not a Destination "
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Jvc America , Jvc Dla Rs4810 3d Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page